2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2013, 01:06 PM
mapleleaf979

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
Fabbri hurt much bigger boys when he hit them. Much thicker than Marner, outweighed him by 30 pounds or more. Marner is a really good player but no Fabbri. Miller should have gone where Marner will go as I also said earlier, 2nd rd not past 3rd. GM's went to sleep on him.
Yes he was and 2-3 inches taller than Marner. Fabbri went out of his way to prove how tough he was, shot blocking, battling anyone like a dog on a bone. Fabbri plays more of a team game too, he shares and moves the puck alot more than Marner. I personally think Marner holds onto the puck too long, thats one of the few things I dont like. Shot velocity isnt there yet either, that will come as he fills out. He has proven to play well in the OJHL this year, he deserves alot of credit there. Like I said before he is a smart hockey player who can find open ice, the fastest direction change in the 97 group and he can stick handle inside a phonebooth. Its a size and strength issue right now. Marner right now has the most leeway to move up or down in this draft, his size during the OHL cup will have a massive impact on his draft ranking.

Old
01-15-2013, 01:34 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Marner to me isnt a sleeper pick, everyone knows him, his skill is easy to see, his lack of size is also easy to see. If Marner was 5-11 he would be in the Top 10 potentially.

Chewer in your mock u put Marner @ #15.....do u stand by that still? Do u remember DAvid Miller? 5th round because OHL teams thought his size was an issue.

Im not saying Marner will be that late of a pick, Marner is nowhere near as tough as David Miller, thats what teams didnt know about David Miller, he is a warrior. Fabbri was another shorter player taken high in the draft..why didnt it matter for FAbbri? He proved to be fearless and will battle anyone, any size anywhere on the ice. Fabbri was getting run all season long and never a complaint from him. Block shots with his helmet, it didnt matter. This is why people fell in love with him and thought the OHL physical game wont faze him. Marner doesnt engage players or throw his body around like Fabbri did. Nowhere to hide in the OHL, the difference in PHysical play is massive compared to minor midget AAA. U see kids drafted in the Top 10 last year, who are too intimidated to play there skill game.

I dont mean to burst your bubble but first round IS NOT happening for Marner right now, late second or third yes.
Miller was like Alvaro, great grinders, skaters and good skill.

Marner is a playmaker extrordinaire, and he has deceiving speed. He wont hurt other kids, but rather try and avoid them, something like a McDavid. He can make himself small at times to avoid the big crushing hits.

I feel that if he grows to 5'11 or more, in 3 -6 months, he would definitely be #15 or better. Of all the high end skilled players- KOnecny, BIg K, Strome (), Speers, Barwell, he has the best hands. NOt the fastest skater, or best vision, or hardest shot but best hands. I can see him as an assists machine, much like Adam Oates but with speed and moves.

Old
01-15-2013, 01:43 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Yes he was and 2-3 inches taller than Marner. Fabbri went out of his way to prove how tough he was, shot blocking, battling anyone like a dog on a bone. Fabbri plays more of a team game too, he shares and moves the puck alot more than Marner. I personally think Marner holds onto the puck too long, thats one of the few things I dont like. Shot velocity isnt there yet either, that will come as he fills out. He has proven to play well in the OJHL this year, he deserves alot of credit there. Like I said before he is a smart hockey player who can find open ice, the fastest direction change in the 97 group and he can stick handle inside a phonebooth. Its a size and strength issue right now. Marner right now has the most leeway to move up or down in this draft, his size during the OHL cup will have a massive impact on his draft ranking.
If they get to the OHL Cup. LOL

To compare him to Fabbri is a serious compliment to Marner today. Fabbri is more of a complete player, scorer, playmaker, hitter. But Fabbri will be more susceptable to injury than Marner.

Old
01-15-2013, 01:59 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post

To compare him to Fabbri is a serious compliment to Marner today. Fabbri is more of a complete player, scorer, playmaker, hitter. But Fabbri will be more susceptable to injury than Marner.
I was comparing the size of the 2, not the player. Easy over there. I think being 5-6 130 makes u more susceptable to injury compared to Fabbri who has conditioned himself to absorb hits for years. No one mentioned Fabbri's size because of how physical he was, Marner has his size mentioned quite a bit.

I have to disagree with your Miller and Alvaro comparisons. They are very different, Alvaro is a pit bull, grinder, amazing work ethic, average skill. Miller is tough, above average skater, under-rated playmaking skills, defensive wizard and his best asset is hockey smarts/decision making, its incredibly high.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:02 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowswhattowatch View Post
Chewer, great posts, found this on line. You might enjoy it and maybe you are right about your sleeper pick!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBvUVmqvAag
WOW thats some serious skill, noticed he was a little small but didnt seem THAT small? i would take him top 10 no doubt

Old
01-15-2013, 07:16 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Does the '98 Honeybaked team have some high end players or is their success mostly a factor of a deep group of better than average players?
They have high end players. Pastujov, Khodorenko, McKeeby, Larionov (yes, he's Igor's son), Latorella (he barely lets in any goals) stuck out for me at the Silver Stick.

Old
01-15-2013, 07:22 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
You guys can now call me "Sir Chewer".
The Chew Dawg of Minor Midget AAA Wisdom?

Old
01-15-2013, 10:47 PM
chewerjones

Saw the double header tonight, and not really impressed with either game.

Don Mills and Rebels played a boring/cautious game, and ended up 1-1. Rebels were only able to secure 1 point and thus finish 2nd in the division.

Marlies and JRC played 2 mini games. First half went to the JRC, and 2nd half went to the Marlies. Too many penalties called and refs assisted in the outcome of the game. Marlies didnt win the game, but rather JRC fell apart.

Stephens scored a great goal, and was called off, and ended up receiving a 10 minute misconduct penalty. Marlies scored 4 goals while Stephens was in the box.

The Big K had a hilite reel type goal, but was very cautious the rest of the game. He spent too much time on the bench because of the penalties to his team.

Best player on the ice for both teams was Robinson on the Marlies.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:52 PM
chewerjones

Marner was very average tonight, and seemed tired. Didnt really try any end to end rushes, and was happy to just pass off the puck.

He doesnt seem as small out there, and has to be about 5'8"-5'9".

Old
01-16-2013, 07:38 AM
wingman22

Quote:
Saw the double header tonight, and not really impressed with either game.

Don Mills and Rebels played a boring/cautious game, and ended up 1-1. Rebels were only able to secure 1 point and thus finish 2nd in the division.

Marlies and JRC played 2 mini games. First half went to the JRC, and 2nd half went to the Marlies. Too many penalties called and refs assisted in the outcome of the game. Marlies didnt win the game, but rather JRC fell apart.

Stephens scored a great goal, and was called off, and ended up receiving a 10 minute misconduct penalty. Marlies scored 4 goals while Stephens was in the box.

The Big K had a hilite reel type goal, but was very cautious the rest of the game. He spent too much time on the bench because of the penalties to his team.

Best player on the ice for both teams was Robinson on the Marlies.
Chewer, I watched both games. When the Rebels score first they are tough to play against. When DMF scored the Rebels had to open things up. They lack the goal scorer. McConnagh the D from DMF was the player of the game. He has really come along. Marner's strengh is a big issue, he is knowcked of the puck to easliy and doesnt play down low. Shift management is a concern, he stays out to long and waits high for the puck.
Marlies vs. JRC interesting game. Venditti was awefull for both teams. Took the flow away, but made the game interesting. Though you "special K" showed his skill during the first part of the game but appeared to have checked out. Spending time on the bench because your team is short handed, shows one thing......no defensive interest at all and cant play in his own end. Yes he is very good when he has the puck. Both Stephens and Strome play in both ends of the ice and play in all situations.
Though Strome struggled for a two periods and had a great third. The goal called off on Stephens' second goal was terrible. Benigno already received a penalty for knocking the net off, but to call that off on a breakaway. It sure seemed to wake up the Marlies because they were fired up to start the 3rd.
JRC couldnt capitilize on the 5 min major to Webb which would have been just to a game that was terribly officiated towards both teams.
Robinson had energy all night and was the best player on the ice. Thought Richardson struggled.

Old
01-16-2013, 08:12 AM
ImaBullsfan

Quote:

Just checking, is the draft in april this year, like last?

Old
01-16-2013, 09:41 AM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman22 View Post
Chewer, I watched both games. When the Rebels score first they are tough to play against. When DMF scored the Rebels had to open things up. They lack the goal scorer. McConnagh the D from DMF was the player of the game. He has really come along. Marner's strengh is a big issue, he is knowcked of the puck to easliy and doesnt play down low. Shift management is a concern, he stays out to long and waits high for the puck.
Marlies vs. JRC interesting game. Venditti was awefull for both teams. Took the flow away, but made the game interesting. Though you "special K" showed his skill during the first part of the game but appeared to have checked out. Spending time on the bench because your team is short handed, shows one thing......no defensive interest at all and cant play in his own end. Yes he is very good when he has the puck. Both Stephens and Strome play in both ends of the ice and play in all situations.
Though Strome struggled for a two periods and had a great third. The goal called off on Stephens' second goal was terrible. Benigno already received a penalty for knocking the net off, but to call that off on a breakaway. It sure seemed to wake up the Marlies because they were fired up to start the 3rd.
JRC couldnt capitilize on the 5 min major to Webb which would have been just to a game that was terribly officiated towards both teams.
Robinson had energy all night and was the best player on the ice. Thought Richardson struggled.
Agree wingman. Big K has to work on defensive zone play, just like Kessel has had to, but you cant take away his offensive ability, even from his knees.

Stephens could be another Konecny Clone if he competes every shift and every second. He has the physical tools.

Strome was invisible for 2 periods, and then woke up the 3rd period, but it was more that the Cdns fell apart then the Marlies played well. Strome ended up with 3 points- one off a goal scramble when they were 5 on 3, another when JRC forgot to put out Dmen , and the third on a weak shot to the bread basket that sneaked through the backup goalie's arm. He gets alot of points, but they are not quality points, and I think at the next level, no way does he get away with that.

Right now, I believe that of all the Ontario kids, Konecny and Spencer are far ahead of all others.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:50 AM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Good post, Good views.

McConnach looks like a second round pick for sure. His skating has improved greatly, he is growing on me with each game. He and Dunda are my 2 highest rated players on the DMF team.

Watch Marner through the GTHL playoffs and focus on the lack of physical play/strength before anyone starts to mocking him up so high in the draft. The Strength/Battle issue's will only compound themself at a higher level of hockey.

Strome put the team on his back for the start of the 3rd and willed this team to win. It sounded like he was barking to get his team woken up after the 2nd. That goal they called off, seem to wake them up as well. Marlboros showed heart last night. At the end of the second, it looked like they would lose, they deserve lots of credit to battle back. There isnt one GM in the OHL who doesnt love Strome. Some people try hard to knock this guy on this forum and its ridicoulous and borders on Trolling.

If u want to win at the OHL level, u must be concerned about Korostelev's 200 foot game. Its non-existant. Korostelev is sliding right now on my list and possibly out of the top 10. He benefits from a ton of shots, his shot selection is questionable and his high volume of shots at minor midget level will not happen in the OHL, so production will Drop off. His skating stride might have to be re-worked by his OHL coaches as well. His small stride limits his top end speed, In my opinion. Its all about being a complete player. 20 goals and being a - 20 doesnt help your team. Any top player not playing special teams, bothers me, u compound that with taking a line change when your team is back checking and that jumps right out at u.

Stephens played really well. He could jump back up the draft with a strong finish to the season. His first few steps instantly create room for him. Very explosive. Every player has no reason to be jacked for all the upcoming important games.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:12 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
I think you and I watched the TM vs JrC game together last night. Venditti stole a goal from Stephens, threw out Webb for a clean hit.
For a part of the 1st period Korostolev looked like the #1 pick in the draft, I don't think I saw him after that.
Robinson played great! His goal was awesome. I do believe he should be the 4th forward drafted out of the GTHL this April.

Old
01-16-2013, 02:27 PM
wingman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
I think you and I watched the TM vs JrC game together last night. Venditti stole a goal from Stephens, threw out Webb for a clean hit.
For a part of the 1st period Korostolev looked like the #1 pick in the draft, I don't think I saw him after that.
Robinson played great! His goal was awesome. I do believe he should be the 4th forward drafted out of the GTHL this April.
Crazy. We all seen the same thing. You me mapleleaf should run the Rogers program. Did you see the DMF game ? What's your thoughts on the Rebels ?

Old
01-16-2013, 03:24 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Crazy. We all seen the same thing. You me mapleleaf should run the Rogers program. Did you see the DMF game ? What's your thoughts on the Rebels ?
I was at the game. It looked like they would run the Flyers out of the rink early. The Rebs just don't have the scorers. They can buzz around but don't finish. I think the Rebs are a very well coached, very hard working team that lacks any high-end talent. I think the Marlies will beat them in the end.

Old
01-16-2013, 06:28 PM
PanthersFan1980

Quote:
I dont know much about Greenway, Kirwan and Yan, as per my limited scouting on them, so I cant comment on them. According to others on this blog, they compare them as top 5 prospects.

I think Crouse, Mckenzie and Henley should definitely in the top 10. I think Spencer should be top Ontario prospect. Konecny and the Big K can switch spots??

As you guys know, I think Strome should go 8-10 and Stephens, 10-12. Speers should be top 15.

I would have MacArthur, Burns , Szypula, Petawabano in the first round, ahead of Defarius.
I never thought petawabano was eligible for the O... I thought he was from Montreal?

Old
01-16-2013, 07:30 PM
chewerjones

[QUOTE=mapleleaf979;57676979]Good post, Good views.

Come on Mapleleaf- he took the team on his back. Marlies were lucky that the Cdns fell asleep in the last period. If they played like a triple A team, Marlies wouldnt have scored at all.

Korostolev looked like #1 pick overall in the first half of the game, and then disappeared as all of us watched. In comparison, Strome looked like a 5th rounder in the first half of the game, and then a first rounder in the 2nd half of the game.

I can agree with Stephens and Robinson yesterday, but Strome taking team on his back. Not last night. Watch the replay on Rogers and you will see what all us saw.

Old
01-16-2013, 08:00 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFan1980 View Post
I never thought petawabano was eligible for the O... I thought he was from Montreal?
I think he is but it depends on if his family has moved.
That'd be something that a person like Tigers could answer for sure.

I'm curious about Adam Holwell too.

Old
01-16-2013, 08:14 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
I think he is but it depends on if his family has moved.
That'd be something that a person like Tigers could answer for sure.

I'm curious about Adam Holwell too.
Holiwell is a QMJHL protect. Not OHL eligible given his Newfoundland background.

Petawabano is the play I was suggesting could go either way. He is currently listed on both the OHL and QMJHL lists. There will be an investigation to see who his rights belong to. I know he would like to play in the OHL, hopefully that will be the case.

Old
01-16-2013, 08:52 PM
capswon

Is there any list from OHL central scouting for the upcoming draft. And if there is where can it be found. Thanks in advance.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:06 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Come on Mapleleaf- he took the team on his back. Marlies were lucky that the Cdns fell asleep in the last period. If they played like a triple A team, Marlies wouldnt have scored at all.

Korostolev looked like #1 pick overall in the first half of the game, and then disappeared as all of us watched. In comparison, Strome looked like a 5th rounder in the first half of the game, and then a first rounder in the 2nd half of the game.

I can agree with Stephens and Robinson yesterday, but Strome taking team on his back. Not last night. Watch the replay on Rogers and you will see what all us saw.
Too be honest Im actually getting pretty sick of reading the lack of credit u give Strome. Im just trying to maintain some type of accuracy on this forum. Labeling him successful based on his name, was really showing a complete lack of judgement. Your assessments lack accuracy. Pointing out Strome doesnt have "quality points". According to u , uve seen Strome 5-6 times this year and u make that assessment? U dont average 3 points per game if your not quality. Period. I mean honestly, how far are u going to reach on this subject again and again. Its getting old.

ACcording to u, Any success Strome has its because he plays in a weak GTHL, but Korostelev it doesnt come up. Its funny that U didnt label the MArlies sleeping, when it appeared to u that Nikita was doing well. Double standard and very contradictory.

Who is "all of us saw" ? Its just you who make these statements. U should watch the replay, maybe u attempt to "stir the pot". Im done on this issue.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:11 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by capswon View Post
Is there any list from OHL central scouting for the upcoming draft. And if there is where can it be found. Thanks in advance.
Its not for public consumption.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:52 PM
capswon

Well that explains that. No wonder I couldn't find anything. Thanks.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:32 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Holiwell is a QMJHL protect. Not OHL eligible given his Newfoundland background.

Petawabano is the play I was suggesting could go either way. He is currently listed on both the OHL and QMJHL lists. There will be an investigation to see who his rights belong to. I know he would like to play in the OHL, hopefully that will be the case.
Thanks for the quick answer.
Someone had said that Holwell was living with his uncle and thus may be eligible, but these things aren't really clear cut so I took it with a large grain of salt.

A quick search for Petawabano makes it look like he lived in Northern Québec until very recently though (2011), even listing his hometown as a Cree town in Baie-James.

Closed Thread