HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Scott Laughton impressing at camp

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-16-2013, 10:39 AM
  #51
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Laughton has been impressing all years. Anyone who's watched the Gens this year knows he's going to be a good NHL player. He's very much relied on in Oshawa, along with Jenner and Biggs, to put up points and play a physical two-way game. I think he's going to be a Mike Richards type player, honestly.
The Richards comparison is very apt, IMHO. Laughton has good "hockey sense" in all directions, and that's the first thing that stood out to me, just like Richards, when they were relatively unheralded juniors... both hustle and use every ounce at their disposal, but they also see the game well, and use that vision well in both zones.

I think I picked Laughton something like 13th in my FHL entry draft last summer, I'm a believer. Never thought he'd be a candidate to crack the Flyers this early, mind you, but great to hear that he's showing well.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:40 AM
  #52
Snotbubbles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CootaRoo View Post
Oh, wow, I'm glad you cleared up that confusion... I was basing my post on how Lavi handled his roster down the stretch and into the playoffs last season on top of what occurred in the AHL during the lockout with the players down there, but you have shown me the light with baseless opinion... how misguided of me.
Not quite following you here.

Wellwood emerged late in the year last year and IMO (and I think in Lavi's as well) moved past Rinaldo. In the playoffs he played 11 playoff games and saw 11:42 of ice time.

Rinaldo played 5 playoff games and saw 5:41 of ice time.

If anything, Lavi favored Wellwood to Rinaldo. Neither guy, is penciled in for anything.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:49 AM
  #53
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,111
vCash: 769
Wellwood is nothing. he won't be anything more than a 4th liner. He's a fast skater, and that's about it

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:55 AM
  #54
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Wellwood is nothing. he won't be anything more than a 4th liner. He's a fast skater, and that's about it
Yeah...he's like a German Messerschmitt..blazing speed but flawed. He needs to learn to hone his offensive skills..whatever he has.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:03 AM
  #55
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 10,132
vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Wellwood is nothing. he won't be anything more than a 4th liner. He's a fast skater, and that's about it
compared to what other teams put out on the 3rd line id say wellwood is a pretty skilled guy.

Great Penatly killer too.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:21 AM
  #56
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 30,630
vCash: 50
I still think Rinaldo is on this team as the 11/12 forward. Laviolette likes him and trusts him. Especially over Sestito and Shelley
As far as Laughton goes, I would have to agree that hes here for the 5 gamer until Briere is ready.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:24 AM
  #57
dannyboy8920
I cheer for Losers
 
dannyboy8920's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Oshawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Please don't keep him!

We are likely going to lose Jenner and now possibly Laughton too.

Dear lord.

Solid player; However, he really could use another year in Jr. to dominate.


It's funny because Jenner is considered a Richards comparison and it seems like Laughton is going down the same path. IMO Jenner is a Richards, and Laughton will be a Richards-lite. (which should be encouraging for any team)

dannyboy8920 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 12:12 PM
  #58
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CootaRoo View Post
Oh, wow, I'm glad you cleared up that confusion... I was basing my post on how Lavi handled his roster down the stretch and into the playoffs last season on top of what occurred in the AHL during the lockout with the players down there, but you have shown me the light with baseless opinion... how misguided of me.
Good, then if you're done with your nonsense we can move on.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 12:35 PM
  #59
flyersfan187
Registered User
 
flyersfan187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Morrisdale, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,816
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
I would have no objection of keeping him even when Briere comes back if he shows he is ready to stay in the nhl. We do need a natural center on the 4th line. (Talbot should stay on the shut down line with Couts at wing)

Without Briere:
Schenn/Giroux/Hartnell
Talbot/Couts/Voracek
Simmonds/Laughton/Read
Rinaldo/Feds/Wellwood
Sestito

With Briere:
Hartnell/Giroux/Voracek
Schenn/Briere/Simmonds
Talbot/Couts/Read
Feds/Laughton/Rinaldo
Sestito

Those lines aren't bad. Plus there will always be injuries for people to get shuffled around, especially playing in a high tempo system.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 12:44 PM
  #60
orange is better
than other colors...
 
orange is better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
I would have no objection of keeping him even when Briere comes back if he shows he is ready to stay in the nhl. We do need a natural center on the 4th line. (Talbot should stay on the shut down line with Couts at wing)

Without Briere:
Schenn/Giroux/Hartnell
Talbot/Couts/Voracek
Simmonds/Laughton/Read
Rinaldo/Feds/Wellwood
Sestito

With Briere:
Hartnell/Giroux/Voracek
Schenn/Briere/Simmonds
Talbot/Couts/Read
Feds/Laughton/Rinaldo
Sestito

Those lines aren't bad. Plus there will always be injuries for people to get shuffled around, especially playing in a high tempo system.
I'd rather put Briere on Courturiers wing.

Hartnell-Giroux-Schenn
Briere-Couturier-Voracek
Simmonds-Laughton-Read
Rinaldo-Talbot-Fedotenko

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:07 PM
  #61
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,111
vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
compared to what other teams put out on the 3rd line id say wellwood is a pretty skilled guy.

Great Penatly killer too.
he's far from a "great" PKer. I'd say he's good enough to be on the PK because of his speed, but he's nothing special

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:09 PM
  #62
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,111
vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
Please don't keep him!

We are likely going to lose Jenner and now possibly Laughton too.

Dear lord.

Solid player; However, he really could use another year in Jr. to dominate.


It's funny because Jenner is considered a Richards comparison and it seems like Laughton is going down the same path. IMO Jenner is a Richards, and Laughton will be a Richards-lite. (which should be encouraging for any team)
I don't think Laughton will stick with the club. He'll get his ffet wet, but once Briere is ready, they'll probably send him back

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 03:40 PM
  #63
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I don't think Laughton will stick with the club. He'll get his ffet wet, but once Briere is ready, they'll probably send him back
I don't know. He's already got some big fans in Laviolette, Holmgren and Laperriere. If Laviolette thinks he's good enough to stay, he'll stay. We'll know more after the first three games. If Laughton's getting anywhere from 10 to 14 minutes a night, he'll be a keeper. If he's getting less than 10 and is a scratch, he's going back to junior.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 03:50 PM
  #64
Protest
C`est La Vie
 
Protest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deptford, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I don't think Laughton will stick with the club. He'll get his ffet wet, but once Briere is ready, they'll probably send him back
Have the Flyers done this at all recently? I mean the only guys I can think of making the team as 18 y/o rookies out of camp are Sbisa and Couturier, and neither of them got sent back down after the first couple games. To me it seems like their philosophy is if you make the team, you've made the team.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 03:54 PM
  #65
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Have the Flyers done this at all recently? I mean the only guys I can think of making the team as 18 y/o rookies out of camp are Sbisa and Couturier, and neither of them got sent back down after the first couple games. To me it seems like their philosophy is if you make the team, you've made the team.
I think Zubrus made it....ultimately it wasn't the best decision for Zubrus although he's turned into a fine player.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 03:59 PM
  #66
BillDineen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
I think Zubrus made it....ultimately it wasn't the best decision for Zubrus although he's turned into a fine player.
So did Williams.

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 04:55 PM
  #67
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,118
vCash: 500
Well, Gagne started at 19/20 and he turned out awesome as well (did not play the first season possible after being drafted).

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 06:52 PM
  #68
Damaged Goods
Registered User
 
Damaged Goods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,026
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
he's far from a "great" PKer. I'd say he's good enough to be on the PK because of his speed, but he's nothing special
We're talking about penciling him in over Zac Rinaldo here.

Rinaldo Wellwood
G/600.251.08
P/601.101.88
   
Corsi ON-6.874.57
Corsi REL-11.36.6
   
Goals For ON/602.213.76
Goals Against ON/602.331.08
Goal Diff ON/60-0.12+2.68
   
Off Zone Start%47.645.0
Off Zone Finish%44.846.6
Zone Finish Diff-2.8+1.6
   
Pens Taken/603.10.3
Pens Drawn/602.30.5
Pens Diff/60-0.8+0.2

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 07:18 PM
  #69
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,457
vCash: 500
Prospects game on. I would really be happy if we could land Kerby Rychel. The guy has "Flyer" all over him. LW Windsor.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 07:46 PM
  #70
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,118
vCash: 500
Can you link the prospects game?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 07:51 PM
  #71
chinatown81592
New Regime?
 
chinatown81592's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: United States
Country: China
Posts: 952
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Can you link the prospects game?
http://www.justin.tv/furby17#/w/4592669696

chinatown81592 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 07:55 PM
  #72
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,118
vCash: 500
Is he still wearing #21?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 07:57 PM
  #73
CNote
Get 'er done
 
CNote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Toronto, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I'd rather put Briere on Courturiers wing.

Hartnell-Giroux-Schenn
Briere-Couturier-Voracek
Simmonds-Laughton-Read
Rinaldo-Talbot-Fedotenko
I absolutely LOVE this line-up!

CNote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 07:57 PM
  #74
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,118
vCash: 500
Also, which color is he wearing?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:27 PM
  #75
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,266
vCash: 5775
There isn't really a large enough sample size since Wellwood only played 24 games in the regular season, but including his 11 playoff games, he was only on the ice for 3 goals against as a PKer, but he was used as a 3rd unit guy(<2 min per 60).

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.