HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

2013 CBJ Training Camp Thread (1/13-1/18)

Old
01-15-2013, 10:27 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
For someone for whom goal scoring "isn't his forte", he sure does seem to score a heck of a lot of them.

Here's a quick poll for folks. This is an unaltered photo of RJ Umberger:
How would you describe the sweater RJ is wearing in this photo? Pick one:
a) RJ Umberger is wearing a dark blue CBJ sweater, in a photo that wasn't lit very well.
b) That is CLEARLY a black sweater RJ is wearing. Therefore there clearly must be such a thing as an all-black CBJ sweater that we have simply never seen before.

I swear, at least half this board would pick (b) and be totally sincere.
(and a sizable portion of the remainder would pick (b) just to try to get my goat, but that's not the point )
Both answers are wrong, as is the case anyone tries to answer jersey-related questions who lacks the Andy Sutton level of expertise.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:32 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
For someone for whom goal scoring "isn't his forte", he sure does seem to score a heck of a lot of them.

Here's a quick poll for folks. This is an unaltered photo of RJ Umberger:

How would you describe the sweater RJ is wearing in this photo? Pick one:
a) RJ Umberger is wearing a dark blue CBJ sweater, in a photo that wasn't lit very well.
b) That is CLEARLY a black sweater RJ is wearing. Therefore there clearly must be such a thing as an all-black CBJ sweater that we have simply never seen before.

I swear, at least half this board would pick (b) and be totally sincere.
(and a sizable portion of the remainder would pick (b) just to try to get my goat, but that's not the point )
c) That's not RJ. That's his evil twin JR Umberger who once played for Dallas. It's hard to recognize him without the cowboy hat.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:34 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
c) That's not RJ. That's his evil twin JR Umberger who once played for Dallas. It's hard to recognize him without the cowboy hat.
In the background is Malhotra, doing his best impression of Prince.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:35 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
In the background is Malhotra, doing his best impression of Prince.
I'm miss that guy.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:59 PM
teamkory

http://postimage.org/image/6rje83sid/

dubinsky looks real excited bout this season

teamkory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 12:23 AM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamkory View Post
dubinsky looks real excited bout this season
He just looks really tired. I would be too.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:26 AM
odessa
Ima Firen Mah Lazar

How's Calvert doing? Bottom 6 material for Jackets or just an average AHL-player?

odessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:30 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

he's trying his damnedest to make this team...and he may with only bringing 25 guys to camp...only two will be going down...and I am guessing one is Yoey...

Fro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:05 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Nice little writeup by the AP on the Jackets, post-Nash.

http://www.masslive.com/sports/index...alcon_tim.html

Quote:
"It's not necessarily just about replacing, say, the 30 goals or 40 goals that Rick Nash scores every year," veteran center Derek MacKenzie said. "It's about creating some offense but doing it the right way."
Is that a shot at Nash?

01-16-2013, 10:13 AM
Iron Balls McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post

Is that a shot at Nash?
Why not. I can't find a link to it but Nash made a comment quoted in an article I read recently that sounded to me like he failed as a leader here because he was trying to do too much and was happy to "have the weight off of his shoulders."

To me that sounds like he it a roundabout way didn't trust his teammates and tried to do it all himself, which is not conducive to the team game we are trying to play. I've felt that way all along and I firmly believe we are a better TEAM without Rick Nash.

Iron Balls McGinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:03 AM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Balls McGinty View Post
Why not. I can't find a link to it but Nash made a comment quoted in an article I read recently that sounded to me like he failed as a leader here because he was trying to do too much and was happy to "have the weight off of his shoulders."

To me that sounds like he it a roundabout way didn't trust his teammates and tried to do it all himself, which is not conducive to the team game we are trying to play. I've felt that way all along and I firmly believe we are a better TEAM without Rick Nash.
That is a point I kept harping on last year. I think we will see a cohesiveness that has been lacking for a very long time. A team that will work together to achieve a common goal rather than a bunch of individuals out on the ice together. There was a reason why Fedorov called out Nash and Zherdev. But I think it was a mentality that both sides caused. Brassard and Voracek would defer to Nash often, hence why that line never fulfilled its potential either.

Now I think everyone on the team is thinking "we" rather than "I". A new mentality was needed, and I think they have one. Will this results in wins? I have no idea, but it is the type of team I have no problem cheering for.

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:33 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Yep. Any and all criticisms of Umberger are just half-ass attempts to troll you.

How'd you know?
I SEE RIGHT THROUGH YOU

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 04:24 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:

Is that a shot at Nash?
Any success this team finds post-Nash will be a shot at Nash. I'll love it.

Matthew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:27 PM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Any success this team finds post-Nash will be a shot at Nash. I'll love it.
Wonder how many will be removing or covering up NASH on their jerseys? A heck of a lot of em out there!

Paisano* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:28 PM
Iron Balls McGinty

OK, I now have to say that I am a slight bit concerned. 4 days into camp and the intensity is dying down because players are apparently "tired." Boone Jenner gets called out for being too nice to his teammates in the hitting department and comes out to practice today and is hitting like he means it and apparently irks off a couple of vets.

I'm getting an impression that there are a large number of people on this team that still have an Allen Iverson approach to practice and are starting to dog it. Is anyone stepping up to be a leader right now?

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/...amp-day-4.html

Old
01-16-2013, 08:30 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

i agree IBM

Fro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:41 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
OK, I now have to say that I am a slight bit concerned. 4 days into camp and the intensity is dying down because players are apparently "tired." Boone Jenner gets called out for being too nice to his teammates in the hitting department and comes out to practice today and is hitting like he means it and apparently irks off a couple of vets.

I'm getting an impression that there are a large number of people on this team that still have an Allen Iverson approach to practice and are starting to dog it. Is anyone stepping up to be a leader right now?

I'm just happy Boone responded. My concern is with the two vets. Just about EVERY player in the NHL, unless they've been dogging it, is tired right now.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:17 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
I'm just happy Boone responded. My concern is with the two vets. Just about EVERY player in the NHL, unless they've been dogging it, is tired right now.
I agree with this post. The vets should expect a rookie who's supposed to be a hard checking role player to hit them at camp, and shouldn't b***h about it. And, if they're tired, then maybe they shouldn't be playing in this shortened season? That's not the attitude of a winning program.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:21 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
I agree with this post. The vets should expect a rookie who's supposed to be a hard checking role player to hit them at camp, and shouldn't b***h about it. And, if they're tired, then maybe they shouldn't be playing in this shortened season? That's not the attitude of a winning program.
Yea really how sad is that. They talk about hardwork this and constant forechecking and when a rookie like Jenner finally does the vets get pissed. What kind of example does that set? ****ing sad really. Man up or get the f out.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:35 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
Yea really how sad is that. They talk about hardwork this and constant forechecking and when a rookie like Jenner finally does the vets get pissed. What kind of example does that set? ****ing sad really. Man up or get the f out.
Just a couple. Non issue, IMO. We don't even really know the nature of it beyond that it pissed them off and got them going. Could be guys already nursing injuries. Who knows. If the culture is truly changed, this will get fixed in the room. This is an opportunity, not a problem.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:54 PM
Iron Balls McGinty

Did anyone actually listen to the coaches show tonight? I just saw it was on from 7-8 on 97.1. I didn't realize it was starting today since my radio rarely leaves Sirius.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:57 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

If they were irritated at Boone, that means hes hitting them hard. This is both good and great because its good that he listened to coach, and the players who will be here got some in game experience.

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:15 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
If they were irritated at Boone, that means hes hitting them hard. This is both good and great because its good that he listened to coach, and the players who will be here got some in game experience.
Thats why I'd like to keep Boone on the team bc he does just that. He hits hard and can play a 4th line role in a pinch and it will only help his development. Johansen on the other hand doesnt play that style of game and therefore placing him on the 4th line could be detrimental. We shall see I suppose.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:23 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:

This seems like a total non-issue to me. I remember in football as a younger player, wanting to come in and make a good impression. I also remember as an older player, being irritated as he'll with younger guys who were trying to make an impression. Camp is physical, and it's mentally and physically draining. If your actual roster spot is secure, it's simply not a big deal.

To be perfectly honest, if someone thinks this is a big deal or indicative of anything, I'd love to tell you the truth about NFL training camps.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:40 PM
postalpez

Is there any inter-squad scrimmages at camp or just drills?

postalpez is offline   Reply With Quote