HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bigger key to team success: Ennis or Hodgson?

Old
01-16-2013, 03:14 PM
1point21Gigawatts
hell's a gigawatt?

vCash: 500
Noncommittal answer: Both players are key to the team's success. Both are around the same age, similar height and weight (with an edge in cody's favor). Both showed immense skill late in the season (hodgson in the home stretch of the season). A lot hinges on their ability to score consistently and help their line mates do the same.

I think a lot more rides on Cody, since we traded a coveted power foward to acquire him. I believe we won the deal hands down, but time will prove me right or wrong.

1point21Gigawatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 03:17 PM
1point21Gigawatts
hell's a gigawatt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
In a general sense I say it's completely even, but if we're talking about more specifically within the lines, then clearly more is on Ennis to make his tick than is on Hodgson.
My response didn't take this thought into account. Considering the current lines, then Ennis has more of a challenge ahead of him than Cody.

1point21Gigawatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 03:39 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 54
Hodgson. Pominville faces higher QoC, so by default Hodgson will be asked to do the same, so that requires an increased awareness defensively while also being asked to produce at the same rate (or better) as Ennis. He'll also see PP1 time and a good amount of PK time, so if he struggles in any facet, we're likely giving up goals to top lines while underachieving in our attacks and/or on the PP. Yes, Ennis is responsible for making his line go, specifically Stafford, but I think coming into the season Hodgson has more responsibilities and expectations (to produce with our top wingers), thus making him more critical to our success.

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 03:40 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Care to elaborate, or would you rather stick to poopooing other peoples opinions?
It's too early into this for me to start pooping on everyone's hopes and dreams

lets just say, I have a very distinct picture of how this team needs to be built and structured to succeed with Lindy Ruff at the helm.

i won't derail the thread any further

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 03:42 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Ennis's success from last year has led to how this team has been formed. He was our best forward after returning from injury and Darcy and Lindy doubled down on him continuing where he left off. I'd argue he has the most pressure of any player on this team to play well.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 04:40 PM
McTank

Ennis and I think he'll pull through, Vanek and Hodgson could have mccormick centering them and they'll still have success

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 04:45 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
lets just say, I have a very distinct picture of how this team needs to be built and structured to succeed with Lindy Ruff at the helm.
I'd love to see that vision. Maybe start it as a new thread?

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 07:21 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Between the two I think Hodgson has to solidify himself as a capable #1 C. I think he carries more responsibility overall than Ennis, so I think the team loses out in more situations if Hodgson struggles. For overall team success though, I will take it one step further than "ummm...both". For improved scoring they need a 3rd line that can ultimately provide for a mismatch during any given game, depending on which line is playing the best or which line the other team gives the easiest match-up.

You need two capable scoring lines just to compete, but three puts you in a rare place to win games even when your defense or goalie has an off night, or injuries slow the team down. Just as important as a 3rd line is having a physically tough team that can withstand a hard checking team/game and not get worn down and/or injured by playoff time. This is where Buffalo has been for a few years now, but I think Foligno, Ott, and to a lesser degree Scott can change that. Even Grigorenko (if he makes it) can change that as a player that is big enough to be hard on the puck regardless of his lack of physicality/hitting.

To take the target off your back you have to show teams that there will be a price to pay. After a while it's not so much fun to hit away at a team when the hits come back. You start getting hit less and you start getting hurt less, and your skill guys might just get an extra foot and an extra second to make a play.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:05 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Drury
Mika

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:13 PM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

vCash: 476
I think Ennis. Hodgson will end up being our #1, but Ennis is more crucial because that line is on fire with him doing well.

TCRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:32 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
/thread
Why??? I picked your post because I'm so tired of posters trying to play moderator...

That said, I pick Ennis... He has the heart and even though he is small he is often a game changer...

I watched Hodgson last season and he did little to impress me, I hope he improves based on his draft status but if the chips where down during a needed playoff win I'd take Ennis over Hodgson in a heartbeat....

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:33 PM
brian_griffin
"Elite Poster" ???

Hodgson is clearly bigger than Ennis. Quite a few inches and pounds.
Oh, wait. That wasn't the question, was it?

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:39 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
Hodgson is clearly bigger than Ennis. Quite a few inches and pounds.
Oh, wait. That wasn't the question, was it?
Yes... so far Ennis has proved he can play the game and impact some games, Hodgson has has shown me nothing....

Old
01-16-2013, 09:09 PM
Push Dr Tracksuit
Gerstmann 3:16

If I had to pick 1 it would be Hodgson.

First, I see Ennis as a good center and Foligno as a developing PF. Stafford seams like a streaky goal scorer that you find on teams in the middle of the pack. Even in his best statistical season he scored over 30% of his goals in 4 games. Come playoff time he will be either hot, during which time we will win more likely than not, or he will be cold, which will leave a gaping hole in our primary offensive line.

Second, I do believe Darcy is looking to make a trade involving top 6 skaters that involves bringing talent in. Poms wears the C, Vanek plays on a crap contract, Foligno is a rare commodity, and Hodgson was just brought in last trade deadline so I dont think Darcy would move him for at least 2 more seasons. Leaving Stafford and Ennis as the primary trade pieces to make a move on a Bobby Ryan caliber player.

Third, The Ennis line is going to be getting the juiciest of offensive assignments this season. As Grigorenko develops beyond this season those assignments (I hope) will eventually become his, diminishing the Ennis lines value as a whole moving forward.

Fourth, Hodgson is a solid individual physically. Ennis is small. There are plenty of good small players but all of them are required to be better than their peers to achieve the same amount. If you are asking me to choose I'll choose the bigger guy.

Push Dr Tracksuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:23 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
If I had to pick 1 it would be Hodgson.

First, I see Ennis as a good center and Foligno as a developing PF. Stafford seams like a streaky goal scorer that you find on teams in the middle of the pack. Even in his best statistical season he scored over 30% of his goals in 4 games. Come playoff time he will be either hot, during which time we will win more likely than not, or he will be cold, which will leave a gaping hole in our primary offensive line.

Second, I do believe Darcy is looking to make a trade involving top 6 skaters that involves bringing talent in. Poms wears the C, Vanek plays on a crap contract, Foligno is a rare commodity, and Hodgson was just brought in last trade deadline so I dont think Darcy would move him for at least 2 more seasons. Leaving Stafford and Ennis as the primary trade pieces to make a move on a Bobby Ryan caliber player.

Third, The Ennis line is going to be getting the juiciest of offensive assignments this season. As Grigorenko develops beyond this season those assignments (I hope) will eventually become his, diminishing the Ennis lines value as a whole moving forward.

Fourth, Hodgson is a solid individual physically. Ennis is small. There are plenty of good small players but all of them are required to be better than their peers to achieve the same amount. If you are asking me to choose I'll choose the bigger guy.
Good post.... as for me I'd take one in hand over two in the bush.... We will see, I hope Hodgson can back up his draft status but he's been moved once in a short career so imo the burden is on him.