HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Devils Sign Travis Zajac 8 years/5.75 per

Old
01-16-2013, 10:00 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

vCash: 500
I was thinking $5.5 for the last year would be what we paid. $6 million tops, but maybe going higher if he went to UFA.

Travis Zajac joins Marty, and Stevens as the only players since 1997 to sign a deal in season or before the season prior to their free agency started. Last time the Devils re signed a player before the season prior to their contract ending was Marty in October 2001.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:02 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyrmidon View Post
I don't see why people would be worried about us driving up prices, Lou has given somewhat traditional 2nd contracts pretty consistently throughout his tenure as GM. It's teams like the Oilers who give 6 mill to every young RFA that I'd be worried about.

Also, Zajac's contract should have no bearing on being a precedent for 2nd contracts seeing as how it's his 3rd, which most of the main board seems to have forgotten.
Does it make sense to us? No. But it's the first big contract post-lockout and people were ready to gripe about something.
It's not our fault that we handle the transition from RFA to UFA pretty fairly - but you have teams like Vancouver and Edmonton that are going to be pressed against the cap with a fair amount of holes to fill/contracts to negotiate.
They're mainly the ones calling foul on this deal -- they were hoping a lowered cap would give their teams leverage in signing/re-signing players on the cheap to fill their rosters... but having a $5.75 deal dropped before the puck does, it probably doesn't settle well.

Not saying that's our fault and not defending it --- but there's a pretty good correlation between the fanbases who don't like this deal and how far pressed against the cap their team is
(Boston and Minnesota seeming to be the only real exception)

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:02 PM
CerebralGenesis

Seems like Parise's actions left a mark on Lou. Also he is aware what Zajac means to the club.

If he won't negotiate during the season, he needs to start locking guys up early.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:05 PM
kiwidevil

Another thing I forgot to mention was how awesome it was that all these "insiders" had no sniff of this. No Mac, Dreg, Lebrun or any scrub.

Especially with something they have worked all offseason. Shows they have absolutely zero inside knowledge of the Devils.

Love Lou.

Also it absolutely proves that Parise was never ever planning on staying. Because you can guarantee Lou would have chatted with Parise the same way he has with Zajac the last 2 offseasons or more.

kiwidevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:06 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
Seems like Parise's actions left a mark on Lou. Also he is aware what Zajac means to the club.

If he won't negotiate during the season, he needs to start locking guys up early.
The system caused this as much as any 'change' in Lou. Lou tried to get Parise locked up last year too, but he wasn't biting - and with good reason. He got tens of millions more by waiting to UFA. The most Zajac would get by waiting is maybe $5 million and that's only if some GM went bat**** crazy and gave him a 7-51 deal, which wasn't likely to happen with a ton of teams cutting payroll this offseason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
Also it absolutely proves that Parise was never ever planning on staying. Because you can guarantee Lou would have chatted with Parise the same way he has with Zajac the last 2 offseasons or more.
How do you know he didn't talk with Parise? The only reason we know he did talk with Zajac is Zajac signed the deal. If Zajac hadn't signed we'd all be ***ching about do-nothing Lou once again.

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:09 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

I gotta give Lou credit on this one. I Been slagging him for not doing these kinds of things for a while now. Time to lock up the rest once this season ends. Would be nice to lock up Henrique soon too cause I keep getting it in the back of my mind someone offer sheeting him. It's unlikely, but it's still in the back of my mind.

Not sure if Travis, and his people approached Lou on this one, or if Lou did. Well done either way.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:09 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
The system caused this as much as any 'change' in Lou. Lou tried to get Parise locked up last year too, but he wasn't biting - and with good reason. He got tens of millions more by waiting to UFA. The most Zajac would get by waiting is maybe $5 million and that's only if some GM went bat**** crazy and gave him a 7-51 deal, which wasn't likely to happen with a ton of teams cutting payroll this offseason.

How do you know he didn't talk with Parise? The only reason we know he did talk with Zajac is Zajac signed the deal. If Zajac hadn't signed we'd all be ***ching about do-nothing Lou once again.
It seems like Zach was on his way out regardless but if you give a guy the option of waiting a month then he probably does it.

If you're talking about the year before then that presumes Lou knew what the situation was becoming and how it was unfolding and should have anticipated him leaving UFA anyway. That doesn't appear to be the case.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:14 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

I think Zach knew he was leaving. Don't care what anyone says, and just all the hints he was throwing. And the BS press conference when he got there. He either lied to our fans, or he lied to his new fans in Minnesota when he said ''I always knew I wanted to come home and play'' but two days earlier the Devils were still in the mix. I mean come on man really? He was throwing other hints like when he said you work hard for years to be able to get to free agency. He said that mid season.

Mid season rumors popped up about he, and Suter being a package deal, and it appeared to be true. Didn't Suter get picked up on his farm by the Red Wings plane, and talk with them? When they had no interest in Zach, or weren't willing to give him what he wanted, Zach talked to Minny about Ryan.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:14 PM
manilaNJ

As much as Parise could have done for this team.... Lou's offer was $80 million (don't even want to think about the term). I think that could be money well spent elsewhere over the duration of the proposed contract.

Otherwise, we'd have a ******** invested in the top line alone.
We can invest well in other players who want to be here.
The Devils have always been at their best when they can rely on depth throughout the lineup.

It sucks, but we might be better off for it in the end.
It's a silver lining to be found.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:18 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

You know if we signed Parise to that big contract Zajac probably wouldn't have signed this contract, or at least not this week. Maybe he's a casualty this Summer? We wouldn't have been able to keep Clarkson either, or we would have to lowball Patty just to fit under the cap. That would have been the reality. We would have been in cap hell soon enough.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:20 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...d=nhl:topheads

Starting at 00:25 Zajac with some beautiful moves to beat the Dman

Devils Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:23 PM
manilaNJ

Depending upon what we paid for Parise... we might have actually had to pay Zajac more.

I can't see his agent realistically letting Lou off the hook if Zajac was slotted to play between an $80 million LWer and a $100 million RWer

Old
01-16-2013, 10:24 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderfest View Post
The funny thing is, if a number of other teams signed Travis to this exact same contract, it would have been "OMG where are we going to put all teh stanley cups??"
More than likely. Hypocrisy is a fun concept.

Quote:
Was about to go to the Zajac thread on the main board. But talked myself out of it.
I don't know, seeing all the comments about how stupid it is there makes me wonder if I need to wade in and start educating fools.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:24 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post

I only saw Kovy being interviewed?

Old
01-16-2013, 10:25 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

vCash: 50
His agent wouldn't have had much of a choice post-CBA. Contract term limit pretty much prevents anyone from getting those kind of numbers, barring someone getting paid $12.5 million a year.

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:25 PM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

Kovy and Zajac look good together. That partnership will be nice this season.

Basement Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:27 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Never mind, I looked at the first page in the trade board thread and decided I'd had enough.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:27 PM
Henrique Iglesias
Doc & Chico Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post

Someone should create a wallpaper of that shot of the backs of Kovy and Zajac skating away together.

Henrique Iglesias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:28 PM
kiwidevil

Funny seeing Barch fall over as Kovy fakes him out on the PP.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:32 PM
manilaNJ

I don't know what stands out to me most about that thread... but some special moments were people trying to imply that the Carter & Richards contracts were somehow better than Zajac's .... whilst begrudging the overall amount and term of the deal.

Mind blowing to say the least...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
His agent wouldn't have had much of a choice post-CBA. Contract term limit pretty much prevents anyone from getting those kind of numbers, barring someone getting paid $12.5 million a year.
Who knows what the pressure would have been like to sign him had Parise signed long term for big money in the summer.
Agents play every card they have.

Regardless, had we even paid the same amount to Zajac now with a locked up Parise... it would still spell trouble down the line sooner rather than later.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:33 PM
CerebralGenesis

Good vid, you have to switch it to the one before if you get the Kovy interview.

Sounds like NJ had a good day today.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:35 PM
kiwidevil

Another question. What does this say for the teams finances?

Old
01-16-2013, 10:36 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

That run with Lemaire in 2011 was mostly Kovy, and Travis. I don't remember seeing Parise anywhere during that 2011 run other than up in the luxury suite upstairs eating chicken fingers, and french fries.

Butler would look good with them, but I'm not sure Zubrus would. If Tedenby is with them I can already hear the Kings goal horn in my head. I don't mean the Kings goal horn either. I mean a trainwreck.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:37 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
I don't think it says a whole lot to be honest. We are still pretty far off the cap and until we make a move to push us closer it and away from any signs of an internal cap, it's probably too early to say.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:39 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

Quote:
It still doesn't stop the dumbo populous of the mainboard from thinking we're depleted with finances. They wouldn't get off the notion last Summer that we were depleted, and that's why Marty, and Zach both went to UFA.