HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL (Part XXXIX): (1/9: Leafs fire Brian Burke as GM; Dave Nonis steps in)

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2013, 03:55 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
A hell of a player is something I'd consider Kessler. Zajac is a very nice player, for sure. But at 8 years and 5.75 per? That's too rich for me. He'll be making 5.75 at age 36 (the final year of his contract). Tough for me to expect Zajac to still be producing that late in his career.

Stranger things have happened, though.
A RH center with good size who can put up 65-70 points and bring a great two-way game? There aren't too many players who can make that claim nowadays. Did they overpay? Yeah, maybe by like $500k per year, which isn't a big deal at all long term.

I wouldn't be all that concerned about the term. Chances are that in order to retain core players, you're going to have to give them the 8 year deals. Will he be playing at this level at 36? Probably not, but who knows what the cap will be then. That Zajac / Henrique combo should be a very good 1-2-punch for at least the next 5 years.

Old
01-16-2013, 04:05 PM
Glennsoe
Horndog

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, it's Viasat Hockey and theire channels and what they are showing on opening night and sunday...

This is Swedish time slots...

Quote:
Tv-tider

Lördag 19 jan (natt mot söndag):
21:00, TV10/Viasat Xtra NHL 1: Philadelphia-Pittsburgh
21:00, Viasat Hockey/HD: Los Angeles-Chicago
21:00, Viasat Sport/HD: Winnipeg-Ottawa
01:00, Viasat Hockey/HD: Boston-NY Rangers
01:00, Viasat Xtra NHL 1: Montreal-Toronto
01:00, Viasat Xtra NHL 2: NY Islanders-New Jersey
01:00, Viasat Xtra NHL 3: Tampa Bay-Washington
01:30, Viasat Xtra NHL 4: Florida-Carolina
02:00, Viasat Sport/HD: St Louis-Detroit
02:00, Viasat Xtra NHL 5: Nashville-Columbus
02:00, Viasat Xtra NHL 6: Dallas-Phoenix
03:00, Viasat Xtra NHL 7: Minnesota-Colorado
04:00, Viasat Hockey/HD: Vancouver-Anaheim

Söndag 20 jan (natt mot måndag):
18:30, Viasat Hockey/HD: Buffalo-Philadelphia
01:00, Viasat Hockey/HD: NY Rangers-Pittsburgh
01:00, Viasat Xtra NHL 1: Calgary-San Jose
02:00, Viasat Xtra NHL 2: Minnesota-Dallas
03:00, Viasat Sport/HD: Vancouver-Edmonton
04:00, Viasat Hockey/HD: Phoenix-Chicago
Can't *** wait...

Old
01-16-2013, 04:06 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
A RH center with good size who can put up 65-70 points and bring a great two-way game? There aren't too many players who can make that claim nowadays. Did they overpay? Yeah, maybe by like $500k per year, which isn't a big deal at all long term.

I wouldn't be all that concerned about the term. Chances are that in order to retain core players, you're going to have to give them the 8 year deals. Will he be playing at this level at 36? Probably not, but who knows what the cap will be then. That Zajac / Henrique combo should be a very good 1-2-punch for at least the next 5 years.
I'm not convinced he'll put up those numbers on a regular basis. I think he's closer to a 55 point player than he is a 70 point player. He put up above 65 points once in his career so far, so let's not just pencil him in as a perennial 65+ point player. Perhaps he'll put up those numbers if he gets to play with Kovalchuk.

Old
01-16-2013, 04:12 PM
pwoz

Wow, just heard about Zajac.

Old
01-16-2013, 04:13 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
I'm not convinced he'll put up those numbers on a regular basis. I think he's closer to a 55 point player than he is a 70 point player. He put up above 65 points once in his career so far, so let's not just pencil him in as a perennial 65+ point player. Perhaps he'll put up those numbers if he gets to play with Kovalchuk.
He's shown he's capable of it, so unless his Achilles injury is chronic, I don't see any reason he can't rekindle that production. I'm just saying I can see why they gave him the deal they did. I don't think it's as bad as some people are saying it is.

Plus, in all likelihood, he is going to play with Kovalchuk in some way or another.

Old
01-16-2013, 04:14 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
He's shown he's capable of it, so unless his Achilles injury is chronic, I don't see any reason he can't rekindle that production. I'm just saying I can see why they gave him the deal they did. I don't think it's as bad as some people are saying it is.

Plus, in all likelihood, he is going to play with Kovalchuk in some way or another.
He showed he was capable of it once in his entire career. His numbers post-injury were also showing down production.

Old
01-16-2013, 04:19 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
He showed he was capable of it once in his entire career. His numbers post-injury were also showing down production.
Fair enough. I thought he had notched 65/67 in consecutive years, but I was off by 3 points, lol. I think that's being nitpicky though.

Old
01-16-2013, 04:24 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Fair enough. I thought he had notched 65/67 in consecutive years, but I was off by 3 points, lol. I think that's being nitpicky though.
Well, I think that it's factual. When we think of players, we tend to put them in 10 point windows. He has reached the 65+ point window once.

He has only been above 50 points twice in his career -- those two 60 point seasons. I think saying he's a 65 point player is not only premature but factually inaccurate. Since his production went down quite a bit before last year, I think it's also quite a big leap to take from his career numbers outside those two seasons.

I am fine saying Zajac is a 50+ point player in all likelihood. But I certainly wouldn't be considering him this general 60+ point player.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:38 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Fair enough, but I think that's a bit flawed. If that's your criteria on 'star power' then 1999 was a great draft as it's produced:

- A Conn Smythe winner (Zetterberg, 07-08)
- Two Art Ross winners (D. Sedin 10-11, H. Sedin 09-10)
- One Hart winner (H. Sedin 09-10)
- All three have been, or are regularly in the top-10 in scoring

'99 and '96 are panned because very few of the top-picks panned out. '07 has a lot of late bloomers. 11 of the top-15 picks are regulars on an NHL squad as of today.

I dunno, just pointing some things out. Not many drafts instantly produce huge stars like 2008 did.

The Sedins were drafted to be franchise players. Zetterberg wasnt.

Still, the point is that out of all the drafts since 1999, the 2007 draft has yielded the worst results in terms of NHL star power.

Maybe somebody from the 2007 draft will win an award one day. The fact that it hasnt happened yet is my point.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:40 PM
darko

Zajac money isnt bad at all IMO. 8 years is however.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:30 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

That Zajac contract is laughable. Doesn't bother me one bit - great to see the Devils make mistakes. Hate that team.

8 years and nearly $6M a year to someone coming off an injury-riddled season and before that a disappointing one? Even when he was on a role he scored 60 pts, but who knows if he'll get back to that. Even if he does, 8 years and $45M for Zajac? Right after the negotiation of this new CBA? Dumb.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:31 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
The Sedins were drafted to be franchise players. Zetterberg wasnt.

Still, the point is that out of all the drafts since 1999, the 2007 draft has yielded the worst results in terms of NHL star power.

Maybe somebody from the 2007 draft will win an award one day. The fact that it hasnt happened yet is my point.
Kane won the Calder. Idk, just my 2 cents.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:47 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Zajac is a very good two-way center though. Just below the elite tier of Datsyuk and Bergeron in terms of defensive capabilities. So it's not all about points for him.

I'm waiting to see what Benn, Subban, and ROR get.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:09 PM
mike14

Quote:
Kane won the Calder. Idk, just my 2 cents.
He also scored a cup winning goal, which is far more important than any other trophy.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:41 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Zajac is a very good two-way center though. Just below the elite tier of Datsyuk and Bergeron in terms of defensive capabilities. So it's not all about points for him.

I'm waiting to see what Benn, Subban, and ROR get.
I don't agree he's THAT good defensively.

They overpaid. He's, imho, a 3.5-4 million dollar a year player. they overpaid in money and years. You dont give Travis Zajac a max contract....

Lou is scared he's going to leave.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:42 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
He also scored a cup winning goal, which is far more important than any other trophy.
Victoria Cup >>>>>>>>> Stanley Cup.

or so I tell myself.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:50 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I don't agree he's THAT good defensively.

They overpaid. He's, imho, a 3.5-4 million dollar a year player. they overpaid in money and years. You dont give Travis Zajac a max contract....

Lou is scared he's going to leave.
3.5-4? in UFA years? Even Dubinsky got something like 4.5 in his UFA years and Zajac is worth way more than Dubinsky, even the one from 2 years ago.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:54 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
3.5-4? in UFA years? Even Dubinsky got something like 4.5 in his UFA years and Zajac is worth way more than Dubinsky, even the one from 2 years ago.
dubinsky was grossly overpaid.

i dont like the whole person X got this much, and he sucks, so person Y deserves more.

Gomez got 7+ Redden got 6.5

Just because a player got paid doesnt mean he's worth his contract.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:09 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
dubinsky was grossly overpaid.

i dont like the whole person X got this much, and he sucks, so person Y deserves more.

Gomez got 7+ Redden got 6.5

Just because a player got paid doesnt mean he's worth his contract.
Until he had his down year, there is no way he was overpaid, let alone grossly.

Zajac's hit 65 points while being very defensively responsible. He's a faceoff ace. His value is between Callahan's and Bergeron's.

There is no way 3.5 would cut it.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:43 AM
Cresto
In the pantry

It's funny how the Isles are trying to get vet presence to mentor their kids but all the vets refuse to go in the most blunt fashion possible. Nabokov always got away with it. Now Visnovsky. They need to stop forcing vets out of their end-of-career plans to mentor their youth. It's the way contracts work and it's all within hockey but then again it's a losing battle to begin with for everyone

Old
01-17-2013, 06:51 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

There is no way that 3.5 would cut it for a 1C becoming a UFA.

It's a little overpayment, but only by 500K a year or so. Of course Lou is scared that he will leave. Parise left. Marty will collapse of old age anytime now. Elias is getting older. They need to keep whatever they can.

Old
01-17-2013, 07:52 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
There is no way that 3.5 would cut it for a 1C becoming a UFA.

It's a little overpayment, but only by 500K a year or so. Of course Lou is scared that he will leave. Parise left. Marty will collapse of old age anytime now. Elias is getting older. They need to keep whatever they can.
Totally agree

Old
01-17-2013, 08:42 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Victoria Cup >>>>>>>>> Stanley Cup.

or so I tell myself.

You had to grab the one photo of Dan Fritsche in a Rangers uniform?

Old
01-17-2013, 09:22 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The free agent market will stink this summer. Outside of the Perry,Getzlaf and Edler,not much there. Zajac would have gotten very good money. Lupol,Horton and Roy are young enough to get decent money if they are productive and healthy. The rest of the list is full of old guys. Anaheim doesn't like the new CBA because the cap was not set low enough for them. They are afraid of losing their 2 top players. Bob Murray spent the last year trying to trade Bobby Ryan when he had both Perry and Getzlaf months away from free agency. Maybe they thought the NHL would get changes in free agency. Trading deadline is 10 weeks away. Bettman got nothing except 50-50 and contract limits. 8 years for re-signing your own player isn't a short contract. The dumbest lockout ever.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:31 AM
NYR Viper

Clarkson, Clowe, Weiss, Ribeiro and Filpulla are names that would be available as well.

Closed Thread