HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2013, 11:40 PM
bobbyt91
you must quote me :P

vCash: 500
Nash>>>>Luo and look what Nash drew. I expect the best player in the deal to be a 40pt forward a middle prospect and at best a 2nd. So Bozak+Colbourne+2nd is as high as I expect the Leafs to offer and I expect Gillis to not accept now but if still no takers by the deadline then it will be even less and if still no takers after the deadline then it gets ever worse!. I could honestly see Luo staying and Schneider going if Luo isn't gone by next off season. Why give Luo away for next to nothing next year when Schneider will draw a strong return or Gillis could take the best offer on the table before the season.

Mac or Frattin in the pkg is too much(with Bozak+Colbourne+2nd). The Leafs will be able to get a descent goalie next off season and still have their players.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:40 PM
Hockey 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
You are the first person I've seen suggesting an extremely early retirement. It would be a reason for hesitation, but Luongo is a really competitive guy. As long as he can compete, he probably will regardless of his community ties. He will be chasing records to get in the company of Brodeur and Roy at the end if his career. He likely won't quit early.

Sure you have the most media, but our media is pretty cutthroat here. There is a huge amount of pressure to win here. We have never won a cup and this is the best window we probably have had.
You make very good points and its 50/50 either your right or I am. At the end of the day it's which scenario is more likely. Would I like to see Lou as a leaf and play well into his late 30's hell ya I would but at the end of the day all teams manage risk and if nonis fells the risk is to high for the amount he will have to give up coupled with where our team is from a development standpoint then he won't make the deal. If there was no risk to his deal he would be playing for tor,tampa,florida, or any other team in need of his services and van would be sitting back with a very nice package of players, but there is a lot of risk at the end of the day and that's what matters. It's a shame that his contract is what it is because he is elite and if I was in the position van fans were in I'd want a big return for my elite impact player as well.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:41 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Like a leafs fan talking about championships...

Playoffs first champ.

Not really. Komi sucks. Connolly is injury prone. Neither earn close to their cap hit.

Two of these things are not like the other.
yeah but theyre only 1-2 yr contracts
not 10

10 is brutal

Old
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
concessions would have to be made

connolly would have to be included in any package
or komisarek

you trade a stupid contract like that and you'd have to take one back too
its only fair
Don't think the Canucks would have much for a problem with it. As long as the value is close to what Gillis wants, the Canucks will gladly take on Komi for the year then buy him out.

Old
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
Enjoy Ben scissors this year. " goalie of the future"
Next Ryan Miller.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:42 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Don't think the Canucks would have much for a problem with it. As long as the value is close to what Gillis wants, the Canucks will gladly take on Komi for the year then buy him out.
thats right
and thats fair

Old
01-16-2013, 11:42 PM
Vorkosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Next Ryan Miller.
or Pat Falloon with goalie pads...

Old
01-16-2013, 11:43 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
The Leafs will get Luongo, Perry, and Getzlaf all for a bag of pucks...AND draft the 1st overall pick. Because let's be reality here. The Leafs win every trade by a landslide.
Don't be stupid. They don't need those players. Reimer will win the Vezina. Kadri will centre the top line and win the Hart. Rielly and Gardiner will not win the Norris, but only because they split the vote a third contender wins.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:43 PM
Cogburn

vCash: 50
Quote:
concessions would have to be made

connolly would have to be included in any package
or komisarek

you trade a stupid contract like that and you'd have to take one back too
its only fair
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Like a leafs fan talking about championships...

Playoffs first champ.

Not really. Komi sucks. Connolly is injury prone. Neither earn close to their cap hit.

Two of these things are not like the other.
I'd be fine taking Connolly back, if we don't take serious salary elsewhere, and we get the value we'd want. Toronto, or at least their fans, won't like that package.

Luongo's cap cheating contract would only cost, in the case of early retirement, 1.4 million per season played, not counting the final three, spread over the remaining years on his contract (we take the brunt of the 10 million dollar salary...something like 7 million over 2 years if he's traded immediately), for a high chance of success (ie Playoffs) with him in net.

As Nash said, I'm happy keeping him here too and trading Schneider, but it looks like Gillis has made the choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty111 View Post
B: yes
U: debatable

And some of those are not 33 yet. IMHO.
Not all of them are even 30 yet, but several are signed for a very long time, or for big, big money shorter term. Do you think Buffalo was happy matching Vanek's cap hit for 6 years, or Nashville with Weber's for 15? I'd say very few of them would suffer the amount of turmoil over their contracts as Luongo bashers have made in this thread.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:44 PM
marty111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
The Leafs will get Luongo, Perry, and Getzlaf all for a bag of pucks...AND draft the 1st overall pick. Because let's be reality here. The Leafs win every trade by a landslide.
These Luongo threads have soured you completely

No offense taken I hope, no offense given.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:45 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
yeah but theyre only 1-2 yr contracts
not 10

10 is brutal
The difference is you're getting a star player, and we're getting a 2/3 line tweener on a lottery team, and a bottom pairing defender on a lottery team. None are an exact match.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:46 PM
Cogburn

Quote:

Some times all you can do is laugh maniacally and post almost jokingly sarcastically. It happens to the best of us.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:47 PM
bobbyt91

The analogy used earlier that Van fans seem like used car salesmen seems to fit. The way I see it as a guy needs a car and goes to the lot and there in only 1 car there. The salesman is playing the u need a car card but to the buyer the car is over priced and he knows that in the summer there will be more cars at better prices. Now can the used car salesman be ok if he doesn't sell the car sure of course but the negatives are obvious and been beaten to death and the guy who needs a car can survive with out one a little bit longer as well.

Sometimes making a trade to appease a player can bite a team in the but and if van trades Luo they will prob get handcuffed due to other GM's knowing he asked for a trade and the contract.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:47 PM
marty111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Not all of them are even 30 yet, but several are signed for a very long time, or for big, big money shorter term. Do you think Buffalo was happy matching Vanek's cap hit for 6 years, or Nashville with Weber's for 15? I'd say very few of them would suffer the amount of turmoil over their contracts as Luongo bashers have made in this thread.
While I was simply pointing out that their contracts would be a detriment to their trade values, I'd also like to point out now - breathe deep for this because people normally get offended at the the thought of it - but those players also haven't asked their GM to help them move on to a new team either.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:48 PM
marty111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Some times all you can do is laugh maniacally and post almost jokingly sarcastically. It happens to the best of us.
Oh I hear you... quite enjoyable.

Old
LeftCoast

Here is something Leaf fans should understand.

Last season the Leafs gave up 30.8 shots per game - tied with 4 other teams (Vancouver, Nashville, Dallas and Calgary) for 20th in the league.

Last season the Leafs gave up 3.16 Goals per game - 29th in the league.

Now ask yourself - what is the difference between shots against and goal against?

Now ask yourself what's the difference between James Reimer and Roberto Luongo?

Glad I could help.

Old
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Quote:

It happens when people keep saying the same ridiculous things over and over. The discussion never progresses. People just cling to the same points over and over for 20+ threads.

Old
The Overseer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyt911 View Post
Nash>>>>Luo and look what Nash drew. I expect the best player in the deal to be a 40pt forward a middle prospect and at best a 2nd. So Bozak+Colbourne+2nd is as high as I expect the Leafs to offer and I expect Gillis to not accept now but if still no takers by the deadline then it will be even less and if still no takers after the deadline then it gets ever worse!. I could honestly see Luo staying and Schneider going if Luo isn't gone by next off season. Why give Luo away for next to nothing next year when Schneider will draw a strong return or Gillis could take the best offer on the table before the season.

Mac or Frattin in the pkg is too much(with Bozak+Colbourne+2nd). The Leafs will be able to get a descent goalie next off season and still have their players.
When you start with a false proposition like that, the rest of your post is doomed.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:51 PM
I in the Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey 4 Life View Post
You make very good points and its 50/50 either your right or I am. At the end of the day it's which scenario is more likely. Would I like to see Lou as a leaf and play well into his late 30's hell ya I would but at the end of the day all teams manage risk and if nonis fells the risk is to high for the amount he will have to give up coupled with where our team is from a development standpoint then he won't make the deal. If there was no risk to his deal he would be playing for tor,tampa,florida, or any other team in need of his services and van would be sitting back with a very nice package of players, but there is a lot of risk at the end of the day and that's what matters. It's a shame that his contract is what it is because he is elite and if I was in the position van fans were in I'd want a big return for my elite impact player as well.
Just look at what Luongo is prepared to do for the Canucks... How many NHL players would have held out? Not showed up to camp? Said he won't be back? Forced a trade ASAP... Luongo is very much a team player... Nonis knows Luongo... While a concern for you, I think Nonis knows that Luongo would make things as easy for his team to adapt as possible... Again, Toronto won't be getting Luongo though, IMHO...

Old
01-16-2013, 11:52 PM
marty111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect Your Edler View Post
It happens when people keep saying the same ridiculous things over and over. The discussion never progresses. People just cling to the same points over and over for 20+ threads.
Oh I hear ya.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:52 PM
bobbyt91

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overseer View Post
When you start with a false proposition like that, the rest of your post is doomed.
not sure if serious?? Do you really think that Luo>>>>Nash???

Old
01-16-2013, 11:53 PM
bobbyt91

The analogy used earlier that Van fans seem like used car salesmen seems to fit. The way I see it as a guy needs a car and goes to the lot and there in only 1 car there. The salesman is playing the u need a car card but to the buyer the car is over priced and he knows that in the summer there will be more cars at better prices. Now can the used car salesman be ok if he doesn't sell the car sure of course but the negatives are obvious and been beaten to death and the guy who needs a car can survive with out one a little bit longer as well.

Sometimes making a trade to appease a player can bite a team in the but and if van trades Luo they will prob get handcuffed due to other GM's knowing he asked for a trade and the contract.

oops repost

Old
01-16-2013, 11:55 PM
marty111

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
Here is something Leaf fans should understand.

Last season the Leafs gave up 30.8 shots per game - tied with 4 other teams (Vancouver, Nashville, Dallas and Calgary) for 20th in the league.

Last season the Leafs gave up 3.16 Goals per game - 29th in the league.

Now ask yourself - what is the difference between shots against and goal against?

Now ask yourself what's the difference between James Reimer and Roberto Luongo?

Glad I could help.
It's a fair point but Toronto likely can't afford to cough up Gardiner and Kadri unless they strike it rich in the UFA.

We all know Toronto is desperate for playoff hockey but they've only been rebuilding for 3.5-4 years. I really hope some fans can remember the glory days over a decade ago when we were pretty darn good but ultimately not good enough over and over and over.

We're afraid that's just what Luongo will make us rightly or wrongly.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:56 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey 4 Life View Post
If he had a 4 year contract at his current cap hit, the asking price would be much higher.

I don't know if Toronto is the best destination for him. You aren't there yet to really compete, but you would be a heck of a lot closer with him. The Canucks weren't that great when we got him either. He brought us some legitimacy in the league though. He made us capable of stealing any game. He made us a team free agents wanted to sign with. I think he still has that allure, but not everyone does.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:57 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyt911 View Post

I disagree with this. Many Leafs fans, not all, but many, think that because a player is available, that means its a "must deal at any costs" situation, and that their entitled to make obscene offers as well. We would rather make a trade, if it suits our needs, but most trades here don't do that. I'd say in the real world, MG is dealing with the same thing. Now with injuries to Booth and Kesler not recovering as fast as we'd hoped, some think that means Luongo's now cheaper, where Canucks think that means AV will play a much more defensive and conservative game, not affecting the value at all, or inversely, making Luongo more valuable to us.

Quote:
While I was simply pointing out that their contracts would be a detriment to their trade values, I'd also like to point out now - breathe deep for this because people normally get offended at the the thought of it - but those players also haven't asked their GM to help them move on to a new team either.
Hey, fair enough. But even Nash going public with his demand post-TDL, he got a reasonably, if not shiny, package of two second line centers, one being fairly young, a reasonably highly rated prospect and a first, and his cap hit alone made his contract unsavoury.

Quote:
Oh I hear you... quite enjoyable.
A lot of people, myself included, need a quick breath, while the rest just kick back with some popcorn and....cue the MJ gif...

Closed Thread