HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

2012/2013 Prospects Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-08-2013, 08:27 PM
  #276
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
I seriously dislike when people make this silly statement. I mentioned that I have seen him play close to 10-12 times now (all of which have come during the previous two WJC's). Do you just assume I am lying because you don't agree with me?

From what I have seen, Granlund looks disinterested at times when he does not have the puck. In saying that, this is also a very common trait for younger players and is an aspect of the game that can be easily improved upon if that specific player is willing to put in the required effort. I also never said that he was an awful defensive player, but it certainly appears to me that he can be far more effective if he put in a greater effort. He does after all player the most important forward position (at times), and should take that responsibility seriously.
I would say Granlund is a complementary player, I don't think he will ever wow you with anything he does but he also won't hurt you. Like TT and Armia I was overly impressed with them at the world juniors despite having great numbers manly because they beat up on the weaker teams but I will say that I think Granlund can be lesser version of Zajac when it was Zajac and Parise. He will might not be a second line player on his own but with other players he will play to their lever kinda like what we saw from Stajan.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:53 PM
  #277
ALI
Registered User
 
ALI's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,217
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I would say Granlund is a complementary player, I don't think he will ever wow you with anything he does but he also won't hurt you. Like TT and Armia I was overly impressed with them at the world juniors despite having great numbers manly because they beat up on the weaker teams but I will say that I think Granlund can be lesser version of Zajac when it was Zajac and Parise. He will might not be a second line player on his own but with other players he will play to their lever kinda like what we saw from Stajan.
Armia played like a piece of ****

ALI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:43 PM
  #278
Noori
Registered User
 
Noori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,691
vCash: 50
Tyler Wotherspoon with two goals, one assist in his first game back, and there is a whole period left!!! Talk about WJC swag.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 08:10 PM
  #279
Ynnek
Registered User
 
Ynnek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,177
vCash: 177
Johnny hockey at it again with a goal and 2 assists so far. And on another bright note it appears Jankowski is no longer injured as has an assist so far tonight.

Ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:37 PM
  #280
Money Baer
COYS
 
Money Baer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Moose Jaw, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,621
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynnek View Post
Johnny hockey at it again with a goal and 2 assists so far. And on another bright note it appears Jankowski is no longer injured as has an assist so far tonight.
It's hard to get a read on Jankowski this year.

Plays on a very defensive Providence team. Coach Leeman plays him on the 3rd line in a winger position. I'm guessing this year is alll about experience. Hopefully he puts on some muscle, and finds himself playing top 6 C role next year.

50% on face-offs tonight.

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 12:26 AM
  #281
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,883
vCash: 50
This last WJC's Finland as a whole defensively looked disinterested for large portions of the tournament. There is no doubt that they did not perform to expectations and Granlund is part of that. If someone has seen Granlund perform more then their feedback is welcomed, but I would not disagree with HLM's assessment from what I saw either. Hopefully, his defensive game is one of the strengths of his game as that is a necessity to play in the NHL.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 08:25 PM
  #282
Money Baer
COYS
 
Money Baer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Moose Jaw, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,621
vCash: 50
Jon Gillies with a 44 save shut-out! He's having an unreal season.

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:18 AM
  #283
GetThePuckOut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 5,490
vCash: 1081
Kulak scored the OT goal last night. I think he's gonna become one of our top prospects in the future.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:10 PM
  #284
Noori
Registered User
 
Noori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,691
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
Kulak scored the OT goal last night. I think he's gonna become one of our top prospects in the future.
He's an incredibly underrated prospect. Vancouver has sold off pretty much all of their top players in hope for the 1st overall draft choice, so this guy is stuck on a team trying to be bad, and still playing quite well.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:15 PM
  #285
Money Baer
COYS
 
Money Baer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Moose Jaw, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,621
vCash: 50
Another shut-out for Laurent Brossoit tonight. 28-28!

He's been simply lights out since the team Canada camp. His stats are now 2.25 GAA and .920 SV%


Last edited by Money Baer: 01-13-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:20 PM
  #286
WhereIsIt
#gift
 
WhereIsIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,833
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
Another shut-out for Laurent Brossoit tonight. 28-28!

He's been simply lights out since the team Canada camp. His stats are now 2.25 GAA and .920 SV%
7-1-0, 8 GA, 2 shutouts, 1.00 GAA, .966 SV% since WJC camp.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:16 PM
  #287
Money Baer
COYS
 
Money Baer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Moose Jaw, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,621
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixons Dad View Post
7-1-0, 8 GA, 2 shutouts, 1.00 GAA, .966 SV% since WJC camp.
Thanks for doing the math! I was too lazy. FANTASTIC work by Brossoit!

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:26 PM
  #288
WhereIsIt
#gift
 
WhereIsIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,833
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
Thanks for doing the math! I was too lazy. FANTASTIC work by Brossoit!
We probably have the most prospect depth at the goalie position in the league!

Goalie logjam next year in the pro ranks:

Kipper
Ramo
HK
Irving
Brust/Taylor
Brossoit
Joni Ortio
and Jon Gillies in the NCAA

If I had to gaze into my crystal ball I'd see a Kipper-Ramo pairing next year, Brust and Brossoit in the AHL. Ortio could be in the ECHL, third wheel in the AHL, or still in Europe. HK, Irving, Taylor will have all moved on; Taylor earns a 2-way elsewhere, HK and Irving fail to impress this year and also move on.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:49 AM
  #289
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,447
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixons Dad View Post
We probably have the most prospect depth at the goalie position in the league!

Goalie logjam next year in the pro ranks:

Kipper
Ramo
HK
Irving
Brust/Taylor
Brossoit
Joni Ortio
and Jon Gillies in the NCAA

If I had to gaze into my crystal ball I'd see a Kipper-Ramo pairing next year, Brust and Brossoit in the AHL. Ortio could be in the ECHL, third wheel in the AHL, or still in Europe. HK, Irving, Taylor will have all moved on; Taylor earns a 2-way elsewhere, HK and Irving fail to impress this year and also move on.
Kipper
Ramo
HK - Pretty sure this will be his last year in a Flaming C.
Irving
Brust/Taylor One of these guys will be let go/traded if Brossoit is ready.
Brossoit
Joni Ortio - Bust IMO just riding it out right now.
and Jon Gillies in the NCAA

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:53 AM
  #290
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Kipper
Ramo
HK - Pretty sure this will be his last year in a Flaming C.
Irving
Brust/Taylor One of these guys will be let go/traded if Brossoit is ready.
Brossoit
Joni Ortio - Bust IMO just riding it out right now.
and Jon Gillies in the NCAA
Ortio is far from a bust he is only 21 and has a 15-15-6 record and a SV% of .919 on a team thats top scorer has 24 points in 40 games. Writing him off is a very poor idea.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:11 AM
  #291
Money Baer
COYS
 
Money Baer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Moose Jaw, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,621
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Kipper
Ramo
HK - Pretty sure this will be his last year in a Flaming C.
Irving
Brust/Taylor One of these guys will be let go/traded if Brossoit is ready.
Brossoit
Joni Ortio - Bust IMO just riding it out right now.
and Jon Gillies in the NCAA
Ortio has been really impressive this year. Definitely a bounce back year. I'm regaining some confidence with his play.

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:44 AM
  #292
tyflames
Baertschi is God
 
tyflames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,593
vCash: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Ortio is far from a bust he is only 21 and has a 15-15-6 record and a SV% of .919 on a team thats top scorer has 24 points in 40 games. Writing him off is a very poor idea.
I agree with this, along with the fact that goaltenders take a long time to develop to true potential. At age 21 there is now reason to call him a bust.

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:29 AM
  #293
FLAMESFAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,432
vCash: 50
What I like about the 9 goalies is the diifferent stages they are at, but some will need to be moved within the next year.
We need a back up now, one who has potential to be the starter down the road. So currently we are going to see Irving and Karlsson battle it out for backup. Who ever losses that job should be moved.
Then we have Ramo/Ortio/Brust/Taylor waiting for their chance if Flame brass do not have faith in Irving/Taylor. I'd like to see one of the Euro goalies make the move to NA, and only one of the Abby goalies stick around. With Broissoit making the move to pro next year, we could move 2 goalies from this group.
Lastly we have JG who has a job in the NCAA for a few years, and will hopefully step right in when we need him down the road.

Ofcourse this all depends on what happens with Kipper. I really do not want to see him moved this year, we're picking 1st overall if we do. Next year though his real salary is only 1.5 mill with a cap hit of 5.8. We would be looking at reducing the cap total, and to a team needing to reach the cap this might be pretty attractive.

So 9 goalies right now, spots for 6 (2 NHL, 2 AHL, 1 Euro, 1 NCAA) next year. 3 goalies from the current bunch need to be moved.

FLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:37 AM
  #294
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,447
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Ortio is far from a bust he is only 21 and has a 15-15-6 record and a SV% of .919 on a team thats top scorer has 24 points in 40 games. Writing him off is a very poor idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
Ortio has been really impressive this year. Definitely a bounce back year. I'm regaining some confidence with his play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
I agree with this, along with the fact that goaltenders take a long time to develop to true potential. At age 21 there is now reason to call him a bust.
Fair enough

Just seems like he is so far back in the Pipeline at this point.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:50 AM
  #295
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Fair enough

Just seems like he is so far back in the Pipeline at this point.
I don't think so this year is Irving's make it or break it year as it is for Karlsson so one is gone, then I think one of (most likely both )Taylor or Brust is gone. If I had to predict next year I would say Irving beats Karlsson,

Nhl-Kipper,Irving/Ramo(loser to the Ahl if they are willing to)
Ahl-loser of Ramo/Irving or bring back Brust/Brossoit
Echl-Ortio(allows him time to adjust to NA and get alot of starts unlike his first time here)

Year after
Nhl-Kipper/Ramo/Irving/backup(Kipper may retire)
Ahl-Brossoit/Ortio

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:46 PM
  #296
FLAMESFAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,432
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I don't think so this year is Irving's make it or break it year as it is for Karlsson so one is gone, then I think one of (most likely both )Taylor or Brust is gone. If I had to predict next year I would say Irving beats Karlsson,

Nhl-Kipper,Irving/Ramo(loser to the Ahl if they are willing to)
Ahl-loser of Ramo/Irving or bring back Brust/Brossoit
Echl-Ortio(allows him time to adjust to NA and get alot of starts unlike his first time here)

Year after
Nhl-Kipper/Ramo/Irving/backup(Kipper may retire)
Ahl-Brossoit/Ortio
If Irving can't be the backup that means he was still struggling. If that is the case there is no way we should sign him again. If he can't be the backup he is gone, not playing AHL.

FLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:27 PM
  #297
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN View Post
If Irving can't be the backup that means he was still struggling. If that is the case there is no way we should sign him again. If he can't be the backup he is gone, not playing AHL.
In that situation Irving wins the backup this year and gets resigned but loses to Ramo the following year.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:51 PM
  #298
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,447
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
In that situation Irving wins the backup this year and gets resigned but loses to Ramo the following year.
I dunno, what if Kipper moves? We run Irving/Ramo tandem?

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:57 AM
  #299
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
After 18 pointless games Nemisz got his 1st point all season christ he has fallen down the depth chart.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:06 AM
  #300
tmurfin
500g1000pts
 
tmurfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,310
vCash: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
After 18 pointless games Nemisz got his 1st point all season christ he has fallen down the depth chart.
Really disappointing considering how good he looked in his call up last season..

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.