Notices

Football NFL, NCAA, CFL

Chip Kelly to coach Philadelphia

Old
01-17-2013, 01:25 AM
Moses Doughty
Long term bandwagons

vCash: 500
Looks like there's a good chance Philly could move to a 3-4. I could see Philly move to 14ish for 1st/2nd/3rd rounders after checking a pick trade value chart. Get his star pass rusher Dion Jordan. 6'7 243 on the edge.

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 10:39 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 230
good hire.

12-29-2013, 10:45 PM
JeffMangum
Man Girardi

vCash: 50
Coach of the year candidate?

12-29-2013, 10:45 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
I dont see his offense working in NFL ,, Especially not in Philly

There will be alot of pressure for him to right the Eagles in coming years despite the fact they are well behind Was/NYG/Dal imo in terms of overall talent
Well I was wrong

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 10:49 PM
UFancyHuh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBoyle View Post
Coach of the year candidate?
I think Carolina's coach should win that.

UFancyHuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 10:50 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Best thing to happen to the Eagles in some time.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 10:51 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
Another one of those threads where what you hoped you said wasn't too stupid.

Can't win every thread

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 11:34 PM
Hockeyfan02

He's proven he's a smart coach, this isn't a great Eagles roster and he got them to the playoffs(albeit in a weak division) without one of his top playmakers. Like I posted months back, the evolution of offenses in the league is in his wheelhouse. When he was first brought up for NFL jobs a few years back I thought he'd be a failure but the league's changed. His offense still hasn't reached its potential yet since he doesn't have a running QB(that can take care of the ball unlike Vick) but doesn't look like he needs to have that to win games.

Hockeyfan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 11:58 PM
Roboturner913

The turnaround of the Eagles defense is IMO the reason they are in the dance. They still give up yards but they know how to get to the QB and make big plays.

Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 06:54 AM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

@DanWetzel 7:48 AM
The NFL thought it had seen Chip Kelly's hot-shot college coach act before. It hadn't. Column: sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--eagl…

Mike Emrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 06:55 AM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

"Being with Coach Reid for so long, he's been a guy that's established, a winning coach," McCoy said. "… Coming from college, I just didn't know what to expect … I didn't know what to expect from Coach Kelly."

Kelly's Oregon offense might be a gimmick that NFL defensive coordinators would quickly figure out. The college success might be the product of superior talent. Was this a guy who could adjust on the fly, like the pro game demands? Could someone with no NFL coaching or playing experience command the respect of a locker room of grown men?

The doubts went beyond McCoy and his teammates. The NFL had seen this act before – hotshot college coach arrives only to flail and fail, and then limp back to the NCAA. And with Kelly arriving with breathless media hype of being an innovative genius, there were plenty of people rooting for a comeuppance.

Mike Emrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 07:11 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02 View Post
He's proven he's a smart coach, this isn't a great Eagles roster and he got them to the playoffs(albeit in a weak division) without one of his top playmakers. Like I posted months back, the evolution of offenses in the league is in his wheelhouse. When he was first brought up for NFL jobs a few years back I thought he'd be a failure but the league's changed. His offense still hasn't reached its potential yet since he doesn't have a running QB(that can take care of the ball unlike Vick) but doesn't look like he needs to have that to win games.
I think that was the big thing, it's not even that the QB has to run, just be mobile. Chip Kelly has also adapted to the NFL without selling out. I didn't think it was a good hire when it was made, but I liked what he was doing in the off-season, and he hasn't been able to bring in "his people." Ball security has been a big plus for Foles, plus he's been able to find the right times to run.

The turnaround of the Eagles offense has a lot to do with people actually wanting to play, and getting rid of the older dead weight, and getting an actual defensive coordinator. The players hated the coaches, the coaches hated each other, the defensive coordinator was a freaken offensive line coach. There was all-time levels of dysfunction.

Living here, one of the things that was brought up was that Chip Kelly is motivated to prove himself in the NFL, as opposed to old college coaches who just wanted to see if they fit in, or wanted the payday. Chip Kelly doesn't miss recruiting, and he doesn't miss the games he has to play with boosters. PR-wise he's done an excellent job ingraining himself in the city.

Old
12-30-2013, 09:09 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 230
I want to know how much of Nick Foles play is due to him being this good or if it is the Chip's scheme. Because it sure looks like the Eagles have found their franchise qb.

Justified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 09:22 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
I want to know how much of Nick Foles play is due to him being this good or if it is the Chip's scheme. Because it sure looks like the Eagles have found their franchise qb.
I think Foles has some abilities he didn't know he had.

I know it's a different system too, but Foles played pretty well last year, and well enough to win games. And McCoy was hurt.

Old
12-31-2013, 01:12 AM
Roboturner913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
Schemes don't matter nearly as much in the NFL as people think. Teams generally win on talent and execution, not because they have some magical system that is so much better than the other team.

I think Foles is pretty good, but I see some typical young QB weaknesses in his game that didn't show up much in the regular season because they weren't playing teams that could exploit them. In particular pressure from interior pass rushers.

Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 12:33 PM
aleshemsky83

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
and getting an actual defensive coordinator. The players hated the coaches, the coaches hated each other, the defensive coordinator was a freaken offensive line coach.
believe it or not that is a huge myth, the eagles defense was a top 10 defense both the first year Juan Castillo ran the defense and the next year up until he got fired

Castillo was quite a big scapegoat

aleshemsky83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 12:52 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleshemsky83 View Post
believe it or not that is a huge myth, the eagles defense was a top 10 defense both the first year Juan Castillo ran the defense and the next year up until he got fired

Castillo was quite a big scapegoat
He didn't know how to coach, and he couldn't adapt to situations. They were blowing 4th quarter leads on a routine basis. Being a top 10 defense don't mean jack **** if you're getting lit up in the 4th quarter.