HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13 Colorado Avalanche Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2013, 03:28 AM
PAZ

vCash: 500
Just went to the Victoria - Kamloops games. From that game, doesn't look like he's ready for the AHL.

Smith really wasn't that noticable that game besides the shootout, that move was a thing of beauty. He made a few decent passes, but besides that he didn't look like the the 3rd highest WHL scorer or a prospect to get excited about. He seemed to have good game sense, but damn he looked small out there.

Not saying this is how he plays regularly, as it was only one game. My guess is it was an off game.

Old
01-17-2013, 03:48 AM
AvsFanRCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
Just went to the Victoria - Kamloops games. From that game, doesn't look like he's ready for the AHL.

Smith really wasn't that noticable that game besides the shootout, that move was a thing of beauty. He made a few decent passes, but besides that he didn't look like the the 3rd highest WHL scorer or a prospect to get excited about. He seemed to have good game sense, but damn he looked small out there.

Not saying this is how he plays regularly, as it was only one game. My guess is it was an off game.
I watched him when they came to play the royals earlier on in the season (that game also went into a shootout ). The game I watched I noticed his quickness and some creativity, he had a couple points I think but nothing too special, maybe the royals just bring out the worst in him?

Old
01-17-2013, 09:02 AM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

vCash: 396
No excuses for Elliott to not put up numbers now. He get to be a pp qb in LEM, with Barrie gone. When they played together Ellliott ended up in a weird shooting role on the left half-boards which didn't fit him since he seems to want to use a wrist shot at all times.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:12 AM
kento19
@kento19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
No excuses for Elliott to not put up numbers now. He get to be a pp qb in LEM, with Barrie gone. When they played together Ellliott ended up in a weird shooting role on the left half-boards which didn't fit him since he seems to want to use a wrist shot at all times.
Do you mean it's throwing him off and all he seems to want to do is wrist it?
or he's unable to use his wrister?

Elliott has been known for having an ureal wrister, so if you notice he's always using it, it isn't becuase of the position he's in, it's because he would prefer to wrist rather than unload.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:18 AM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

vCash: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekento19 View Post
Do you mean it's throwing him off and all he seems to want to do is wrist it?
or he's unable to use his wrister?

Elliott has been known for having an ureal wrister, so if you notice he's always using it, it isn't becuase of the position he's in, it's because he would prefer to wrist rather than unload.
I mean he doesn't use a slap shot or one-timers. So having him in a mostly shooter role on the PP ends up not working all that well since he wants to settle the puck down which leads to penalty killers getting in the shooting lane.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:57 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Condon and Meurs have been really hot lately, like over PPG hot.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:24 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Colin Smith with 2G and 1A so far in his game.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:15 PM
Nihiliste

Anyone been watching how Siemens has been doing lately?

Old
01-26-2013, 10:19 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
I haven't seen what's been going on lately, but Memorial Cup or no Memorial Cup, I imagine Duncan can't wait to be free of Lorne Molleken.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:20 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
I haven't seen what's been going on lately, but Memorial Cup or no Memorial Cup, I imagine Duncan can't wait to be free of Lorne Molleken.
Lorne is actually a really good coach, but what he has done is trade for every great player available with downside being a huge lack of chemistry. Though Siemens has been playing great for the last couple of months now. I would love if he turned out into a two-way defender like Hamilton, but He has really improved defensively this season espeically more consistently on a every night bases. One area he lacked since he was drafted.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:11 AM
finds71

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Lorne is actually a really good coach, but what he has done is trade for every great player available with downside being a huge lack of chemistry. Though Siemens has been playing great for the last couple of months now. I would love if he turned out into a two-way defender like Hamilton, but He has really improved defensively this season espeically more consistently on a every night bases. One area he lacked since he was drafted.
I hope you are right, I was very concerned about him since his point production went out the window this year... At the end of the day the Avs draft him as a solid defensive D, so as long as he is imporving his defensive play it`s ok with me.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:31 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
Seen every game this season of his. He's been absolutely fantastic since mid-November. Makes very few mistakes each game and is playing mean, physical but has really improved his discipline.

Quote:
Why do you say that?

Last edited by R S: 01-27-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old
01-27-2013, 03:06 PM
SlyAvs
smokin Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Seen every game this season of his. He's been absolutely fantastic since mid-March. Makes very few mistakes each game and is playing mean, physical but has really improved his discipline.

Why do you say that?
Yes after Elliott leaving the blades ,i kind of expecting Siemens working on his defense and physical

Old
01-27-2013, 03:15 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Why do you say that?
Can't remember where I read it (obviously you know better than I) but I thought Molleken stripped Duncan of the C and was also benching him. This was a while ago, of course.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I can't imagine he's happy about the situation, and Blades fans can't be too happy about Molleken in general.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:04 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Can't remember where I read it (obviously you know better than I) but I thought Molleken stripped Duncan of the C and was also benching him. This was a while ago, of course.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I can't imagine he's happy about the situation, and Blades fans can't be too happy about Molleken in general.
Yes, Duncan had the C taken away but it was a learning experience for Duncan that he's taken to heart. If there are hard feelings, he sure doesn't show it.

In the end, he understands why it was taken and Molleken was the guy who picked him 3rd overall and gave him every opportunity in the world to be a top NHL draft pick and every opportunity to play big minutes and grow as a player.

I doubt there are hard feelings.

And there was no benching.

Siemens is the Blades #1 defender and needs to be on his game every night for Saskatoon to have a shot at winning.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:05 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyAvs View Post
Yes after Elliott leaving the blades ,i kind of expecting Siemens working on his defense and physical
Random question:

Why do French people always uses commas differently?

In English you should have the comma right after the word Blades, not a space then comma.

Old
01-27-2013, 06:56 PM
SlyAvs
smokin Joe

Quote:
Random question:

In English you should have the comma right after the word Blades, not a space then comma.
i just didn't know this, thank you

Old
01-27-2013, 10:32 PM
AllAboutAvs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Random question:

I'm French and I can assure you we use the comma the same way as in English.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:23 PM
PeterTheGreat

Do u guys think Dunc will need AHL time next year or does he have a shot at making the team if he has a strong camp next year?

Old
01-27-2013, 11:36 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
Do u guys think Dunc will need AHL time next year or does he have a shot at making the team if he has a strong camp next year?
Havent watched any of Duncan so Im basically basing my opinion off of nothing. But I would guess he spends some time in the AHL. With the number of NHL Dmen we have signed next year, and Elliott/Barrie/Gaucne who will all likely have a good chance at making the team, I just cant see Siemens beating out all of those guys for a spot on the roster.

I think a year in the AHL would do him well. Introduce him to the faster leagues and bigger bodies, which for a Defensive Dman it certainly helps. Can get used to the faster game and quicker process.

Who would you guys say are some comparable players to Siemens in the NHL right now? Based off his draft day talent analysis and how his game sounds to be this year, I would think maybe Dan Girardi, Brent Seabrook, Phaneuf?

Old
01-28-2013, 01:49 AM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
Havent watched any of Duncan so Im basically basing my opinion off of nothing. But I would guess he spends some time in the AHL. With the number of NHL Dmen we have signed next year, and Elliott/Barrie/Gaucne who will all likely have a good chance at making the team, I just cant see Siemens beating out all of those guys for a spot on the roster.

I think a year in the AHL would do him well. Introduce him to the faster leagues and bigger bodies, which for a Defensive Dman it certainly helps. Can get used to the faster game and quicker process.

Who would you guys say are some comparable players to Siemens in the NHL right now? Based off his draft day talent analysis and how his game sounds to be this year, I would think maybe Dan Girardi, Brent Seabrook, Phaneuf?
I think we can put an end to the Cameron Gaunce has a good shot to make the team idea.

The guy has stagnated or regressed and time is running out on him if he is to make any kind of NHL impact.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:06 AM
SuperJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfan View Post
I'm French and I can assure you we use the comma the same way as in English.
I second that

Old
01-28-2013, 11:27 AM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
I think we can put an end to the Cameron Gaunce has a good shot to make the team idea.

The guy has stagnated or regressed and time is running out on him if he is to make any kind of NHL impact.
Its still only the AHL. From the few games I watched earlier this season I thought he looked alright. And his short stint in the NHL a few years ago went well, he looked good back then, and he's had a year and a half since to develop some more.

I still think he has #4/5 potential, could be a good defensive guy in the NHL.

Old
01-28-2013, 11:30 AM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Yes, Duncan had the C taken away but it was a learning experience for Duncan that he's taken to heart. If there are hard feelings, he sure doesn't show it.

In the end, he understands why it was taken and Molleken was the guy who picked him 3rd overall and gave him every opportunity in the world to be a top NHL draft pick and every opportunity to play big minutes and grow as a player.

I doubt there are hard feelings.

And there was no benching.

Siemens is the Blades #1 defender and needs to be on his game every night for Saskatoon to have a shot at winning.
What has been the cause of his offensive decline?

Old
01-28-2013, 11:34 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
What has been the cause of his offensive decline?

His numbers were actually boosted up by Stefan Elliott (who is probably another bust in your eyes), which made him look like a two-way defenseman when in reality he was always a shutdown guy. Plus he was getting PP minutes as well because Saskatoon lacked offensive guys, but now they have offensive defensemen and he just plays top minutes 5v5 and PK situations.

Closed Thread