HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Pittsburgher Thread: We'll Have A Gay Old Time

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-16-2013, 05:44 PM
  #376
clefty
Ice cream for crow
 
clefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Fujairah
Posts: 17,007
vCash: 500
I don't think there's anything a football player could do that would surprise me.

clefty is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 07:36 PM
  #377
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Star Kunitz
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Iceland
Posts: 64,550
vCash: 2563
Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
I don't think there's anything a football player could do that would surprise me.
Win the Nobel Prize in Literature.

__________________
“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 07:36 PM
  #378
clefty
Ice cream for crow
 
clefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Fujairah
Posts: 17,007
vCash: 500
Hiyoo!

When you do get the great guy who's incredibly bright they usually suck, like Myron Rolle.

clefty is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 07:44 PM
  #379
Smoke
Time is the flaw
 
Smoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,114
vCash: 500
This story is still confusing me.

3 months later, DEADSPIN!! finally figures out that this girl never existed?

Smoke is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 09:33 PM
  #380
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 14,904
vCash: 500
Weird story about Te'o. I doubt it will change his value much though. He's still a 1st rounder easily unless a lot of other character issues start popping up when teams start digging for that during the draft process.

I also won't take that he was out for publicity as gospel. That seems very much debated and he seems to be the one that reported that he may have been the victim of a hoax to Notre Dame.

Captain Hook is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 10:34 PM
  #381
Sivek
Registered User
 
Sivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,268
vCash: 500
Cardinals FB Reagan Mauia says he has met the person in question and had become good friends with her. Said he disagreed that she didn't exist. Claims to have met her while in Samoa for charity work along with some teammates and others including Polamalu. This is so effing bizarre.



Sivek is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 12:10 AM
  #382
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Star Kunitz
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Iceland
Posts: 64,550
vCash: 2563

Big McLargehuge is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 12:49 AM
  #383
AK
Registered User
 
AK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 15,537
vCash: 500
If I'm an NFL general manager (I'm not), I'd much rather have the guy who pulled off the most sophisticated fraud in sports history than the guy who fell for it.

Pretty sure Te'o falls into the first category.

AK is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 01:00 AM
  #384
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 14,904
vCash: 500
I think the issue if this is true is that so much of Te'o's value is his leadership, intangibles etc. He isn't like a Patrick Willis in terms of talent. He could slip if this stuff is true but someone will still take him in round one.

Captain Hook is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 01:02 AM
  #385
shureshot66
Global Moderator
 
shureshot66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Just saw that. Outstanding.

I can't top that, but here's my found-on-the-internet contribution to the thread:



If I ever become a football coach, I'm totally getting that **** done up on a sign to hang by the locker room door.

shureshot66 is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 02:35 AM
  #386
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 14,904
vCash: 500
Mel Kiper's 1st mock

1. Chiefs, Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M
2. Jaguars, Damontre Moore, DE, Texas A&M
3. Raiders, Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah
4. Eagles, Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
5. Lions, Jarvis Jones, DE/OLB, Georgia
6. Browns, Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State
7. Cardinals, Chance Warmack, G, Alabama
8. Bills, Manti Te'o, LB, Notre Dame
9. Jets, Barkevious Mingo, DE/OLB, LSU
10. Titans, Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon
11. Chargers, Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan
12. Dolphins, Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee
13. Buccaneers, Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia
14. Panthers, Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri
15. Saints, Johnathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State
16. Rams, Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas
17. Steelers, Ezekiel Ansah, OLB, BYU
18. Cowboys, Jonathan Cooper, G, North Carolina
19. Giants, Sam Montgomery, DE, LSU
20. Bears, Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame
21. Bengals, Montee Ball, RB, Wisconsin
22. Rams (from WSH), DJ Fluker, OT, Alabama
23. Vikings, Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor
24. Colts, Menelik Watson, OT, Florida State
25. Seahawks, John Jenkins, DT, Georgia
26. Packers, Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford
27. Texans, Keenan Allen, WR, California
28. Broncos, Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State
29. Ravens, Kevin Minter, LB, LSU
30. 49ers, Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida
31. Patriots, DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson
32. Falcons, Margus Hunt, DE, Southern Methodist

Captain Hook is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 04:24 AM
  #387
sniugneP
Registered User
 
sniugneP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,176
vCash: 500
Ansah is a DE, not a OLB unless he loses some weight. He's 6'6" and 270. He's an interesting prospect. He's very raw (only played football for 3 years) but very athletic for his size. Great speed (4.47). The downside is that he's not too physical and need some work on technique. He's still learning. I think he's more suited for 4-3 DE.

There is a lot of pass rushers on first round grade, most of them are boom or bust prospects. If I have a choice to pick one pass rusher, it's Ansah. Tons of upside. I'm just not sure if he's good fit for 3-4 defense.

sniugneP is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 05:34 AM
  #388
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
 
Mario_is_BACK!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,221
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
Write it down: Te'o is in the closet. The guy that was supposedly running the fake account is his lover. This was their way of it being public yet private.

There's nothing wrong with this but this is exactly what it sounds like, especially given so many holes in his story.

Mario_is_BACK!! is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 05:42 AM
  #389
Dangles78
Registered User
 
Dangles78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 763
vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Mel Kiper's 1st mock

1. Chiefs, Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M
2. Jaguars, Damontre Moore, DE, Texas A&M
3. Raiders, Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah
4. Eagles, Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
5. Lions, Jarvis Jones, DE/OLB, Georgia
6. Browns, Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State
7. Cardinals, Chance Warmack, G, Alabama
8. Bills, Manti Te'o, LB, Notre Dame
9. Jets, Barkevious Mingo, DE/OLB, LSU
10. Titans, Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon
11. Chargers, Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan
12. Dolphins, Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee
13. Buccaneers, Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia
14. Panthers, Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri
15. Saints, Johnathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State
16. Rams, Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas
17. Steelers, Ezekiel Ansah, OLB, BYU
18. Cowboys, Jonathan Cooper, G, North Carolina
19. Giants, Sam Montgomery, DE, LSU
20. Bears, Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame
21. Bengals, Montee Ball, RB, Wisconsin
22. Rams (from WSH), DJ Fluker, OT, Alabama
23. Vikings, Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor
24. Colts, Menelik Watson, OT, Florida State
25. Seahawks, John Jenkins, DT, Georgia
26. Packers, Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford
27. Texans, Keenan Allen, WR, California
28. Broncos, Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State
29. Ravens, Kevin Minter, LB, LSU
30. 49ers, Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida
31. Patriots, DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson
32. Falcons, Margus Hunt, DE, Southern Methodist
No QB's in the first round?

I don't follow the NFL on a daily/constant level, but I looked last week and Geno Smith was going to KC/Cards in about 90% the mock drafts.

Hard to believe someone in the mold of RG3/Newton wouldn't make a team take him in the 1st. Maybe he's just waiting for the combine to include them since none of them are really sure things?

Dangles78 is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 05:53 AM
  #390
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 14,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
Ansah is a DE, not a OLB unless he loses some weight. He's 6'6" and 270. He's an interesting prospect. He's very raw (only played football for 3 years) but very athletic for his size. Great speed (4.47). The downside is that he's not too physical and need some work on technique. He's still learning. I think he's more suited for 4-3 DE.

There is a lot of pass rushers on first round grade, most of them are boom or bust prospects. If I have a choice to pick one pass rusher, it's Ansah. Tons of upside. I'm just not sure if he's good fit for 3-4 defense.
Yeah, I think he'd be an OLB if we pick him that's why I listed him as an OLB. I don't think the Steelers would draft a DE with that pick. I agree that his size would suggest that he's a better fit for the 4-3 though. Although DeMarcus Ware for example is 6'4" and 260 as an OLB.

Captain Hook is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 05:56 AM
  #391
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 14,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles78 View Post
No QB's in the first round?

I don't follow the NFL on a daily/constant level, but I looked last week and Geno Smith was going to KC/Cards in about 90% the mock drafts.

Hard to believe someone in the mold of RG3/Newton wouldn't make a team take him in the 1st. Maybe he's just waiting for the combine to include them since none of them are really sure things?
I don't think there's a QB worth a high pick in the 1st round this year but I do think one or more will be picked in the mid-late 1st round.

Captain Hook is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 06:08 AM
  #392
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 41,693
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
Ansah is a DE, not a OLB unless he loses some weight. He's 6'6" and 270. He's an interesting prospect. He's very raw (only played football for 3 years) but very athletic for his size. Great speed (4.47). The downside is that he's not too physical and need some work on technique. He's still learning. I think he's more suited for 4-3 DE.

There is a lot of pass rushers on first round grade, most of them are boom or bust prospects. If I have a choice to pick one pass rusher, it's Ansah. Tons of upside. I'm just not sure if he's good fit for 3-4 defense.
When the guy gets to the combine, you'll forget all about his weight.

That's obviously not how round 1 will shake out, but if it were, I'd rather pick up some picks in round 2.

Ansah is talented, no doubt, but physically. Not football wise. He has a ton of work to do, and we're at a point now where we need guys to come in after a year or so and be contributors. We can't wait.

JTG is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 06:14 AM
  #393
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 14,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
When the guy gets to the combine, you'll forget all about his weight.

That's obviously not how round 1 will shake out, but if it were, I'd rather pick up some picks in round 2.

Ansah is talented, no doubt, but physically. Not football wise. He has a ton of work to do, and we're at a point now where we need guys to come in after a year or so and be contributors. We can't wait.
Yeah, I think that's a big point for me as well. Ansah seems like another 1st round pick that will rot on the bench for years. We need to start getting more immediate impact or at least trade down and get more picks if we're taking developmental types.

Captain Hook is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 06:28 AM
  #394
sniugneP
Registered User
 
sniugneP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
When the guy gets to the combine, you'll forget all about his weight.

That's obviously not how round 1 will shake out, but if it were, I'd rather pick up some picks in round 2.

Ansah is talented, no doubt, but physically. Not football wise. He has a ton of work to do, and we're at a point now where we need guys to come in after a year or so and be contributors. We can't wait.
A lot of options at 17th pick so makes sense to trade down for additional picks. There are a lot of talent in second round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Yeah, I think that's a big point for me as well. Ansah seems like another 1st round pick that will rot on the bench for years. We need to start getting more immediate impact or at least trade down and get more picks if we're taking developmental types.
Agreed, even if Harrison gone, Worilds may get his spot. Ansah will be on sidelines for a while. I think Giants will pick him, perfect fit for him. He's similar to Pierre Paul.


Last edited by sniugneP: 01-17-2013 at 06:48 AM.
sniugneP is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 09:21 AM
  #395
Rectify
I HAVE A JOB!!
 
Rectify's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Around
Country: United States
Posts: 3,381
vCash: 500
I need to give props to the person who titled this thread. Made me spit up my coffee.

And there is no way this story goes down without Te'o knowing his girl isn't real, he knew.

Rectify is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 09:37 AM
  #396
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 14,904
vCash: 500
Yeah, Te'o had to have known. When he found out is what I find interesting. Was he the mastermind behind it from the beginning or was it someone playing a joke on him and when he found out he was too embarrassed to go public so he kept making up more about the imaginary GF until it finally got exposed.

Captain Hook is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 10:36 AM
  #397
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff
 
SuburbanRhythm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,849
vCash: 500

SuburbanRhythm is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 10:54 AM
  #398
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson
 
Crafton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9,607
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Yeah, Te'o had to have known. When he found out is what I find interesting. Was he the mastermind behind it from the beginning or was it someone playing a joke on him and when he found out he was too embarrassed to go public so he kept making up more about the imaginary GF until it finally got exposed.
the guy who sounds like he's the mastermind - Ronaiah Tuiasosopo - sounds pretty interesting. lots of football in his blood. his father, two uncles and three cousins played pretty competitively - including a first rounder and a second rounder.

Crafton is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 11:22 AM
  #399
Pens1566
Registered User
 
Pens1566's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: WV
Country: United States
Posts: 12,456
vCash: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Mel Kiper's 1st mock

1. Chiefs, Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M
2. Jaguars, Damontre Moore, DE, Texas A&M
3. Raiders, Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah
4. Eagles, Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
5. Lions, Jarvis Jones, DE/OLB, Georgia
6. Browns, Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State
7. Cardinals, Chance Warmack, G, Alabama
8. Bills, Manti Te'o, LB, Notre Dame
9. Jets, Barkevious Mingo, DE/OLB, LSU
10. Titans, Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon
11. Chargers, Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan
12. Dolphins, Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee
13. Buccaneers, Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia
14. Panthers, Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri
15. Saints, Johnathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State
16. Rams, Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas
17. Steelers, Ezekiel Ansah, OLB, BYU
18. Cowboys, Jonathan Cooper, G, North Carolina
19. Giants, Sam Montgomery, DE, LSU
20. Bears, Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame
21. Bengals, Montee Ball, RB, Wisconsin
22. Rams (from WSH), DJ Fluker, OT, Alabama
23. Vikings, Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor
24. Colts, Menelik Watson, OT, Florida State
25. Seahawks, John Jenkins, DT, Georgia
26. Packers, Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford
27. Texans, Keenan Allen, WR, California
28. Broncos, Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State
29. Ravens, Kevin Minter, LB, LSU
30. 49ers, Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida
31. Patriots, DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson
32. Falcons, Margus Hunt, DE, Southern Methodist
You know how I know Kiper is a self-serving hype machine of a hack? No QBs in his first round mock. When is the last time that actually happened?

Pens1566 is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 11:51 AM
  #400
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 23,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario_is_BACK!! View Post
Write it down: Te'o is in the closet. The guy that was supposedly running the fake account is his lover. This was their way of it being public yet private.

There's nothing wrong with this but this is exactly what it sounds like, especially given so many holes in his story.
That was the first thing I thought of when I head about the supposed "hoax". I hope that's not the case because it would mean he went to such extreme lengths to hide who he is.

Shady Machine is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.