HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumor and Proposal Thread Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2013, 05:35 AM
TimeForAnOilChange
From OTTERS 2 OILERS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
lol. I just laugh, the players were locked out for half a year becuase they were going to get rotten deal and never get paid. ...... then a week after they sign, Zajac gets 6 mill.

sigh..
Well, i suppose someone has to be the 1st shidiot to sign a stupid contract that will inflate the entire leagues' salaries, why not Lou? Actually kind of surprised it wasnt Holmgren that offered the 1st ******** contract, after all, he has to 'make up' for not getting Weber, wouldnt be surprised if he offer sheets Subban...if i was a NJ fan that lived there, i wouldnt go to any games or buy any merch, i would be fuming over this (not signing the player, just the contract itself)...here we go again, and the countdown to the next lockout officially begins today.

Wonder how Bettman feels about this? Or Fehr for that matter. Bet they will be having some umm, interesting conversations about this signing (and i'm sure there will be many more of these types of signings going forward too). This is exactly the kind of contracts that the owners were apparently willing to 'die on the hill' for to stop players from getting...i dont know about the rest of you, but my BS detectors are going off right about now. Just shaking my head at these morons running the teams, its unbelievable...i dont even know how the league is going to make it to the end of this contract to tell the truth, i'm looking forward to half the league being AHL calibre just in order to make the salary cap.

Old
01-17-2013, 05:45 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 3514
on the main trade board they are talking about Bogosian to the wings--anyone who think we over valuate our prospects needs to read the comments from wings fans over their prospects.

While Bogosian has some detractors, he is a guy who can play 20 to 25 minutes a game, while not that physical he is pretty good for his age.

I am the KING of Alternative Facts as any hockey fan is
Old
01-17-2013, 06:16 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I don't care how good he is defensively or the inatngibles he brings. The guy scored 44 pts in his last full season and 6 pts in 15 games last season although the injury was probably still affecting him.
The point is that the Devils are paying him based on what he did 2 seasons ago. Based on the last 2 seasons, that term and cap hit is way too much IMO.

Kesler for instance who i think is a better player got 5 mil/yr over 6 years and that was in a rising cap world. That would be the max that i would have expected Zajac to get.
8 years $46 mil is crazy money for Zajac. Don't get me wrong, he's a good player who i would have loved to have on the Oilers but he is not worth that amount of money.

It seems like Lamorillo panicked due to losing Parise and felt forced to overpay Zajac out of fear of losing another important player.
It seems to parallel the Oilers situation when Lowe panicked and overpaid to keep Horcoff due to fear of losing him like he did with Smyth. At least Horcoff came off of a 73 pt season and an All Star season. Zajac has just had 2 down years.
Zajac's role on the Devils is very similar to that of Mikko Koivu for the Wild. Koivu is getting $6.75M and I doubt you will find many Wild fans who will complain much about his contract.

As I said before, if Zajac could return to being the 60+ point selke caliber center then even this contract is not that bad. But at 44-50 points it is a different matter. Still given everything else he brings to the table, Zajac at 44-50 points might well be worth $4.5-5M.

In my mind he sits somewhere between Mike Fisher and Mikko Koivu. Fisher signed for $4.2 when the cap was at $56M.

The big risk to me is the term. I'd like this deal a lot more if it was for 3-4 years.

Last edited by Fourier: 01-17-2013 at 06:22 AM.
Old
01-17-2013, 06:28 AM
SK13
As Pretty as Oscar

vCash: 925
Zajac had 62 points in a really good NJD top-six in 08/09 and 67 points on a really good top-line in 09/10. Both times he was anchored by a superstar winger whom he had good chemistry with.

NJD doesn't have a good top-line. They have a good top-line player. They don't have a real good top-six. Zajac coming off a bad injury and a 44 point, 82 game season.

This is like giving Horcoff his contract after 09/10 instead of after ~170 points in ~200 games from 05/06 to 07/08. Even Horcoff's 06 playoff run was better than Zajac's 12 run.

Awful cap-hit at an awful term.

Old
01-17-2013, 07:12 AM
Wheathead
Formally a McRib

Send a message via ICQ to Wheathead
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Zajac had 62 points in a really good NJD top-six in 08/09 and 67 points on a really good top-line in 09/10. Both times he was anchored by a superstar winger whom he had good chemistry with.

NJD doesn't have a good top-line. They have a good top-line player. They don't have a real good top-six. Zajac coming off a bad injury and a 44 point, 82 game season.

This is like giving Horcoff his contract after 09/10 instead of after ~170 points in ~200 games from 05/06 to 07/08. Even Horcoff's 06 playoff run was better than Zajac's 12 run.

Awful cap-hit at an awful term.
The term is what is going to make that contract almost immovable for years as well, but I think they needed to make this kind of investment in a player after losing Parise last summer. This is a signal to the fans that they're not going to let everyone walk away.

Closed Thread