Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2013, 07:54 AM
Tigers1992

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Thanks for the quick answer.
Someone had said that Holwell was living with his uncle and thus may be eligible, but these things aren't really clear cut so I took it with a large grain of salt.

A quick search for Petawabano makes it look like he lived in Northern Québec until very recently though (2011), even listing his hometown as a Cree town in Baie-James.
Im not sure the reasoning with Holwell. If his parents (or a parent) didn't move with him, that may be the reason. As of the last time I looked, he was listed on the QMJHL protected list.

Petawabano will be interesting. There is documents from both sides supporting their arguments. My personal thoughts are hes probably going to be deemed Q eligible, however thats a guess. My understanding is that he wants to play in the OHL. If thats the case, I hope he gets it, not a fan of limiting the options of players.

Old
01-17-2013, 08:19 AM
JansenHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Im not sure the reasoning with Holwell. If his parents (or a parent) didn't move with him, that may be the reason. As of the last time I looked, he was listed on the QMJHL protected list.

Petawabano will be interesting. There is documents from both sides supporting their arguments. My personal thoughts are hes probably going to be deemed Q eligible, however thats a guess. My understanding is that he wants to play in the OHL. If thats the case, I hope he gets it, not a fan of limiting the options of players.
The rule is very straight forward. You can live and play wherever you've been carded but your CHL rights are help in the territory where your parents have there permanent home. Holwell & Petawabano belong to the QMJHL.

Old
01-17-2013, 08:20 AM
JansenHockey

rights are held. typo

Old
01-17-2013, 08:31 AM
JansenHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFan1980 View Post
I never thought petawabano was eligible for the O... I thought he was from Montreal?

A lot of talk about the 97 Draft. The common thread is they are deep on D with the top players in the OMHA. The forwards group in very shallow. The Alliance could have the most talented player but the whole class is missing a solid combination of size and skill. Maybe the closest to this will come from the GTHL. Goaltending is wide open. Many were counting on a few big bodied tenders to step up its not happening. The "little" ones, less than 6 feet, are showing well. The OMHA has two or three of the top players.

After the top 5 its going to be a wild draft.

Old
01-17-2013, 08:39 AM
skating101

Quote:
Originally Posted by JansenHockey View Post
The rule is very straight forward. You can live and play wherever you've been carded but your CHL rights are help in the territory where your parents have there permanent home. Holwell & Petawabano belong to the QMJHL.
Possibly their decision to play in the GTA was for the higher level of competition to further their hockey development which was not readily available in their respected home centre’s?

Old
01-17-2013, 08:58 AM
JansenHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by skating101 View Post
Possibly their decision to play in the GTA was for the higher level of competition to further their hockey development which was not readily available in their respected home centre’s?
Or they didn't really understand the CHL rules regarding residency. Whatever the case the QMJHL is a very good league. Look at the top projected drafts for the NHL this year. Only 2 are from the OHL. Monahan and Nurse. 5 are from the Q. Plenty of good players and hockey there.

Old
01-17-2013, 08:59 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
A lot of talk about the 97 Draft. The common thread is they are deep on D with the top players in the OMHA. The forwards group in very shallow. The Alliance could have the most talented player but the whole class is missing a solid combination of size and skill. Maybe the closest to this will come from the GTHL. Goaltending is wide open. Many were counting on a few big bodied tenders to step up its not happening. The "little" ones, less than 6 feet, are showing well. The OMHA has two or three of the top players.

Top 5 rounds or top 5 picks?

Old
01-17-2013, 09:29 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Correct. I don't like to get into personal things here (we should keep discussion on the ice) but Petawabano's parents are living in Oakville and have for some time. Hence the fact that its not cut and dry.

Last edited by Tigers1992: 01-17-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Old
01-17-2013, 09:31 AM
wingman22

Quote:

Agree that is why the top forwards will go early in the draft. IMO the D groups stretch into the early 3rd round where a team can still get a decent prospect

Old
01-17-2013, 10:43 AM
JansenHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Top 5 rounds or top 5 picks?

Top 5 picks. Just not enough stand out talent at the top to make it clear. There won't be a goal tender picked in the first round. Very muddy.

Old
01-17-2013, 10:53 AM
JansenHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Correct. I don't like to get into personal things here (we should keep discussion on the ice) but Petawabano's parents are living in Oakville and have for some time. Hence the fact that its not cut and dry.
Incorrect. Petawabano is living with a billet family and attends private school. His parents live in Quebec therefor he belongs to the Q. I don't think this is to personal. Its about draft picks and eligibility is a big question for some. Holwell, Sprong, Petawabano, Korostelev all have problems. Holwell and Petawabano will be drafted in the Q. Sprong and Korostelev will need to wait for the import draft next year.

Old
01-17-2013, 11:59 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Incorrect. Petawabano is living with a billet family and attends private school. His parents live in Quebec therefor he belongs to the Q. I don't think this is to personal. Its about draft picks and eligibility is a big question for some. Holwell, Sprong, Petawabano, Korostelev all have problems. Holwell and Petawabano will be drafted in the Q. Sprong and Korostelev will need to wait for the import draft next year.
Not that Sprong is eligible for the O or was ever going to be, but why would he not be eligible for the Q?

He's lived in Québec for seven or eight years now, is playing there, and is a permanent resident.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:31 PM
JansenHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Not that Sprong is eligible for the O or was ever going to be, but why would he not be eligible for the Q?

He's lived in Québec for seven or eight years now, is playing there, and is a permanent resident.
Spong is not a permanent resident, a citizen of Canada or the USA. He is from the Netherlands and is a EU citizen. He has lived and played in Quebec but his residency status makes him ineligible this year.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:38 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Spong is not a permanent resident, a citizen of Canada or the USA. He is from the Netherlands and is a EU citizen. He has lived and played in Quebec but his residency status makes him ineligible this year.
He's a permanent resident or he would not have participated in the Allstate game:
Quote:
National Mentorship Camp Selection Process

The NHLPA tap a wide network of scouts across the country to nominate some of the top bantam-aged players in Canada. Those players will then be invited to apply for one of forty-two (42) spots at the National Mentorship Camp (6 goalies, 12 defensemen, 24 forwards). To be eligible for selection for the Allstate All-Canadians Mentorship Camp, players must be fourteen years of age and must be considered a permanent resident of Canada.
http://www.allcanadians.com/mentorsh...entorship-camp

He's not a citizen, but he's a permanent resident.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:47 PM
HatTrick97

Strome is the best player in th G!

Old
01-17-2013, 12:49 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:

I think Adrian Clark and Allan Menary are opening some eyes. Smaller goalies like Michael Christie, Cameron Radford have been impressive. Blake Jesik is having a very good season. I agree its going to be pretty wild.

I think 8 guys right now are locked into the Top 10:
Day
Werenski
Kirwan
Spencer
Strome
Konecny
Mckenzie
Speers - I believe he has grown this year. He appears to be as tall or a little taller than Konecny and his skillset is very close to TRavis. Speers is incredibly smart and works hard and has an excellent one timer. His feet are right up there with Mitchell Stephens. This guy is elite. Come draft day, SPeers should be a lock for the Top 10. I believe he produces right away as a 16 yr old in the OHL with his skillset.

Closed Thread