HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Wade Redden [UPDATE: Has been bought out and is an UFA]

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2013, 08:27 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by socratic View Post
The gossip I am hearing is that Ottawa will be in pretty aggressively on a free-agent Redden. I'd imagine in the 700,000 - 1 mill range for a 1 year contract.
That's news to us here in Ottawa.

All the reliable sources here (Ian Mendes, etc...) have been on record that Bryan Murray has almost no interest in Redden at the moment.

Quote:
Ian Mendes ‏@ian_mendes

Have it on good authority that the Senators do not have any intention of signing Wade Redden at this point -- despite his history here.

Old
01-16-2013, 08:53 PM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

Isles make too much sense. He's probably living somewhere in the tri-state area, the Isles could use the help and influence on the blueline, and he has the possibility to stick it to the Rangers on a regular basis.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:27 PM
n3ss

When he clears waviers, is he someone who could benefit the Capitals?

Currently the caps D lineup looks something like

Alzner Carlson
Harmlik Green
Hillen/Erskine/Schultz/Poti(if healthy)-Orlov(when healthy)

Would Redden (at a reasonable price) be an improvement on Erskine/Schultz/Hamrlik?

Old
01-16-2013, 09:28 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
He could come back as a 3rd pair guy for sure imo

Old
01-16-2013, 10:09 PM
lakai17

Philly and Detroit need defenceman, maybe Winnipeg or Calgary?

Old
01-16-2013, 10:15 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
Philly and Detroit need defenceman, maybe Winnipeg or Calgary?
Most Detroit fans are actual pretty angry at the idea of waiving Kindl for Redden. Detroit needs the right kind of defenseman depth wise they have 7 NHL guys, what we want is a big right handed stay at home type. Of course what Holland wants is more important I don't see it as a great fit, but I do think Redden can still hack it in the NHL. Just not interested in kicking a 25 year old former first round pick that is 6'3" 220 lbs and skates very well and hasn't really gotten a chance. Would be very bad asset management. To think the Wings killed a trade with Atlanta a couple years ago for Bogosian because they didn't want to move Kindl and now they are considering this makes me very angry.

Of course if they are going the vet route Redden >>>>> Lilja an even scarier thought for Detroit fans since Ken Holland seems to love retreading old Wings so much lately.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:17 PM
Tap on the Ankle
Nobody remembers No2

If some GM signs him I'll be surprised if he isn't a healthy scratch more often than not.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:31 PM
HockeyFanSince86
The Team People Love

I wouldn't mind giving him the chance, worst that could happen is he helps our AHL team.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:07 AM
Habsrback

Habs?

Do not be surprised if the Habs go after him. Coach Therrien was asked tonight the question, hesitated, and answered that "management was looking into it". JJ Daigneault, one of the Habs' asst coaches who was with Hartford for several years has a good opinion of Redden and apparently was professionally very close to him.

I would just find it hard for him to move from one pressure cooker to hockey's craziest, but he has tremendous talent and a cheap contract might be worth the risk.

Old
01-17-2013, 02:44 AM
David71

hope a team signs him. glen sather giving him that stupid money and his career went downhill, therefore he got waived to play in the ahl.

Old
01-17-2013, 04:19 AM
Sticky Fingers

I think he could be a decent 3rd pairing guy, when getting rid of the pressure from his paycheck he might actually deliver.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:14 AM
Peter Tosh

What are the odds of Redden being claimed by NYI? They have a habit of forcing players to their team (Nabokov, Visnovsky) and are not scared of a bad contract (Yashin, DiPietro). Redden was drafted by NYI back in '95 but traded to OTT before entering the league. He has got this season and the next on his 5.6 M deal.

And what about the cap floor? Isn't it 56 M? According to Capgeek, NYI currently has a cap hit of 50 M. Five months of Redden now, his services next season and maybe some assets coming back when trading him to a contender at deadline '14. Sounds like a good fit to me.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:38 AM
nmbr_24

From what I have seen of Redden the last couple of years anyone expecting more than a guy who will ride the bench and be an injury fill in until the team can recall someone from their AHL team is probably expecting too much.

Doesn't anyone remember that he was so bad in his final season in Ottawa that the team chose not to re-sign him, New York signed him thinking they were getting the guy who he was in 2006-2007, he was never better than a 3rd pairing guy in New York and he wasn't sent to the minors until he lost his job to someone else. They didn't just send him to the minors to rid themselves of his salary, he got beat out by 7 other guys in New York.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:55 AM
Peter Tosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
Doesn't anyone remember that he was so bad in his final season in Ottawa that the team chose not to re-sign him, New York signed him thinking they were getting the guy who he was in 2006-2007, he was never better than a 3rd pairing guy in New York and he wasn't sent to the minors until he lost his job to someone else. They didn't just send him to the minors to rid themselves of his salary, he got beat out by 7 other guys in New York.
NYI found a place for Doug Weight, Brian Rolston, John Vanbiesbruck, Mike Sillinger, Bill Guerin, Bryan Berard and Cliff Ronning when no one else could. Beggars can't be choosers.

PLUS, Redden's cap hit is higher (6,5ish M) than his salary (5,6 M) and would put NYI over the floor without having to pay the full price for it. One could actually argue that claiming Redden would be saving NYI 2ish M.

Last edited by Peter Tosh: 01-17-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old
01-17-2013, 08:51 AM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
With Visnovsky staying overseas, maybe the Isles pick him up.
...again.

Quote:
Apparently Detroit is considering Redden after losing out to other UFAs.
Redden earlier in his career (mostly in his prime) was called "The perfect Detroit Red Wings defenseman."

Maybe he'll have some kind of career renaissance if he comes to Detroit.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:06 AM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
Wrong, wrong, wrong. I can't speak for whether Ottawa tried to keep him, but if you think finishing 16th in Norris voting means he was a "bad" defenseman, there are a lot of bad defensemen in the NHL. Like... almost all of them.

His first year in NY, he was second in scoring and ATOI among defensemen behind Rosival. Then Tortorella was hired. Torts never liked Redden after he had one bad game against San Jose early in the season. To the point where his ice time was slashed by five minutes for the rest of the season and he wasn't allowed at training camp the past couple of years.

This is why I don't buy the "He couldn't keep up" stuff: If that were true, they would have brought him in at camp and let him try to make the team, show that he had improved. Redden being in the AHL was a personal thing from Torts, Sather, or both. And it's not cool.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:12 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Wrong, wrong, wrong. I can't speak for whether Ottawa tried to keep him, but if you think finishing 16th in Norris voting means he was a "bad" defenseman, there are a lot of bad defensemen in the NHL. Like... almost all of them.

His first year in NY, he was second in scoring and ATOI among defensemen behind Rosival. Then Tortorella was hired. Torts never liked Redden after he had one bad game against San Jose early in the season. To the point where his ice time was slashed by five minutes for the rest of the season and he wasn't allowed at training camp the past couple of years.

This is why I don't buy the "He couldn't keep up" stuff: If that were true, they would have brought him in at camp and let him try to make the team, show that he had improved. Redden being in the AHL was a personal thing from Torts, Sather, or both. And it's not cool.
To be fair, Sens fans could see the writing on the wall with Redden. Especially in his last playoffs with us, you could tell he was declining.

... though that being said, there is NO ONE in Ottawa who thought the decline would be as steep, or as severe as it was. I remember when the Rangers signed him to that deal, the vibe in Ottawa was "He's a $3.5 mil guy these days, not worth what the Rangers overpaid for him".

We all thought his best days were behind him... but he pulled a David Copperfield and disappeared. No one saw that coming when Sather signed him. Everyone just assumed Slats had overpaid by at least $2 mil, and he'd have a very overpaid 2nd pairing guy. The severity of the decline was shocking to see.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:18 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Can we get a detailed scouting report from someone who saw a lot of him when we was good and saw a lot of him recently?

Old
01-17-2013, 09:20 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Tosh View Post
What are the odds of Redden being claimed by NYI? They have a habit of forcing players to their team (Nabokov, Visnovsky) and are not scared of a bad contract (Yashin, DiPietro). Redden was drafted by NYI back in '95 but traded to OTT before entering the league. He has got this season and the next on his 5.6 M deal.

[b]And what about the cap floor? Isn't it 56 M? According to Capgeek, NYI currently has a cap hit of 50 M. [b]Five months of Redden now, his services next season and maybe some assets coming back when trading him to a contender at deadline '14. Sounds like a good fit to me.

I believe it is 44m for this year and next year

Old
01-17-2013, 09:33 AM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Most Detroit fans are actual pretty angry at the idea of waiving Kindl for Redden. Detroit needs the right kind of defenseman depth wise they have 7 NHL guys, what we want is a big right handed stay at home type. Of course what Holland wants is more important I don't see it as a great fit, but I do think Redden can still hack it in the NHL. Just not interested in kicking a 25 year old former first round pick that is 6'3" 220 lbs and skates very well and hasn't really gotten a chance. Would be very bad asset management. To think the Wings killed a trade with Atlanta a couple years ago for Bogosian because they didn't want to move Kindl and now they are considering this makes me very angry.

Of course if they are going the vet route Redden >>>>> Lilja an even scarier thought for Detroit fans since Ken Holland seems to love retreading old Wings so much lately.
Kindl makes under 900k and is the second youngest defenseman on the team. I think it's more likely that the Wings would give up Colaiacovo to take on Redden, because that would save them ~$2m if Redden takes the minimum and they can then put that towards re-signing their various FAs and perhaps taking a shot at a guy like Edler.

Old
01-17-2013, 11:30 AM
HarrisonFord
He's baaaaaack

Hockey Central just said that he cleared waivers

Old
01-17-2013, 11:43 AM
roboninja
EYG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
I believe it is 44m for this year and next year
Yes, the cap floor is $44M. Every team is already over it, so forget any trade that has that as a "reason".

Old
01-17-2013, 11:56 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post

First off, what is 16th in Norris voting? Doesn't that mean one homer writer gave him a vote for 3-5th place?

Secondly, Tortorella didn't like him because he was not capable of playing at the level Tortorella wanted him to. He was terrible, he was never very good in New York I don't care if he finished 2nd in Norris voting, he was not good. He wasn't good in his last year in Ottawa, he wasn't good in New York and worst of all, he isn't very good in Connecticut.

He has been on a decline since the Sens went to the Stanley Cup finals, he was never that player again and is moving further away from that guy every season.

Last year I spent an entire game just watching him to see if I thought he had anything left just out of curiosity, he isn't the same player he was that is for sure, he sure wasn't the best D on the Connecticut Whale.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:13 PM
Zetterberg4Captain

if you could get redden to sign for one year @ 1 million $, then I can 100% guarntee at least 25 NHL teams would be interested in signing him.

as a #5/6 dman he would be pretty darn useful, and that a salary like that, absolutely no risk

Old
01-17-2013, 12:20 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post
if you could get redden to sign for one year @ 1 million $, then I can 100% guarntee at least 25 NHL teams would be interested in signing him.

as a #5/6 dman he would be pretty darn useful, and that a salary like that, absolutely no risk
Where are you getting that from? I watched the guy and I don't think he is an NHL top 6 guy anymore.

I swear I think people are just guessing what they think he might be without actually watching him.

Closed Thread