HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

Political Stuff That Just Ain't Thread Worthy ‎- Part VI

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2013, 03:19 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

vCash: 500
Was watching CNN as is the routine every day and they said several Americans were held hostage by Al Qaeda

Hope they remain safe

Old
01-17-2013, 09:41 AM
Kurtosis
Lolla Approaching

So, so entertaining.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/0...ut-to-the-feds

Old
01-17-2013, 10:01 AM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
It'd be lovely if a new story about this came out every day.

Old
01-17-2013, 10:04 AM
Kurtosis
Lolla Approaching

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
It'd be lovely if a new story about this came out every day.
For sure. She is the gift that keeps on giving.

Old
01-17-2013, 11:30 AM
ddawg1950

64% of Republicans are Birthers.

http://www.salon.com/2013/01/17/poll..._are_birthers/

Old
01-17-2013, 11:42 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Is it absurd that I think France's recent gung ho military attitude in Northern Africa (Libya/Mali) has more to do with reviving the French defense industry then anything else?

For instance the French have used the Rafale fighter jet prominantly in conflicts and is currently trying to win massive Indian contract valued at $12B against the Eurofighter

Rafale sales have been pushed to various other countries (UAE , Kuwait , Brazil) after years of the market ignoring the Rafale and most French arms in favor of US/Russian/Swedish/German , etc

I dont know it seems odd that the French gov seems to be highlighting the Rafale in Mali operations so prominantly at same time they are pushing Indian deal

Old
01-17-2013, 12:39 PM
Kurtosis
Lolla Approaching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Is it absurd that I think France's recent gung ho military attitude in Northern Africa (Libya/Mali) has more to do with reviving the French defense industry then anything else?

For instance the French have used the Rafale fighter jet prominantly in conflicts and is currently trying to win massive Indian contract valued at $12B against the Eurofighter

Rafale sales have been pushed to various other countries (UAE , Kuwait , Brazil) after years of the market ignoring the Rafale and most French arms in favor of US/Russian/Swedish/German , etc

I dont know it seems odd that the French gov seems to be highlighting the Rafale in Mali operations so prominantly at same time they are pushing Indian deal
It's almost always about the money BWC...

Old
01-17-2013, 06:31 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Illinois' 33% lives in or near poverty

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/story/20...y-level-report

Quote:
CHICAGO (Sun-Times Media Wire) -
A staggering one out of three Illinoisans today lives in or near poverty — the peak of a continued climb over three decades, a new study finds.

It means one in five Illinois children are living in poverty, according to the study released Wednesday by the Social IMPACT Research Center of Chicago's Heartland Alliance for Human Needs & Human Rights.

The forces behind this rising poverty in a post-recession economy go beyond unemployment, according to the study, which traces it also to an inadequate living wage and lack of access to education, housing, health care and assets.

"Illinois' 33%: Report on Illinois Poverty," is based on 2011 U.S. Census Bureau data. It declares a crisis sparing no community in Illinois, and only worsening under budget cuts to government programs and policies that alleviate poverty.

Old
01-17-2013, 07:43 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post

Pretty accurate

The Central/South of state is full of rampant rural poverty and Southside of Chicago along with several South burb cities are economically as dead as Detroit/Gary

I know I am barely getting by as is ,, Alot of poeple are like me on verge of poverty

Old
01-17-2013, 08:22 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:

Quote:
Pretty accurate

The Central/South of state is full of rampant rural poverty and Southside of Chicago along with several South burb cities are economically as dead as Detroit/Gary

I know I am barely getting by as is ,, Alot of poeple are like me on verge of poverty
Yep, but we all know AP's solution would be to end food stamps and cut taxes for the top 2%

Well, here's a sad story (in my opinion) about the founder for Land's End who went back to the South Side (Pocket Town) and decided to spend 86 MILLION to revive the small neighborhood. Long story short, there were small and temporary improvements in high school test scores and that was really it, plus a new charter school. The subsidized housing went mostly to persons not from the neighborhood along with a whole list of other issues.

The issues are cultural and economic. Not many GOOD jobs, loads of drugs, violence, and homelessness.

http://chicagotonight.wttw.com/2013/...on-pocket-town

If 86 Millions can do so little to help, I don't know what the answer is.

Old
01-18-2013, 07:43 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Quote:
Pretty accurate

Suck to see that happening and hopefully things turn around for you and others in Illinois in the future someway somehow. Sometimes moving along to greener pastures is the way to go if all else fails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
Yep, but we all know AP's solution would be to end food stamps and cut taxes for the top 2%

Old
01-18-2013, 09:39 PM
Sirquacksalot
Raging Boner

"First they came for the guns, and I said nothing, because they really didn't." -Jon Stewart

Old
01-19-2013, 11:02 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Old
01-19-2013, 11:14 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
Mali is exposing how awful European militaries are.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:17 AM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
Either his ratings are really suffering or he's going senile. He's making his Harlem style, moon tides comments monthly now.

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Old
01-19-2013, 11:44 AM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Either his ratings are really suffering or he's going senile. He's making his Harlem style, moon tides comments monthly now.
Cherry picking at its finest.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:58 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Mali is exposing how awful European militaries are.
What?

French assault has led to tactical/strategic success with taking of several towns held by rebels

Also the Mali rebels have been abandoning heavy weaponry/pickup trucks to avoid destruction at hands of French Air Force

Not sure what exactly you expect from such a small force that French are putting on ground in Mali

It will be more important for African Troops to arrive and garrison the captured area so French can continue on offensive

Old
01-19-2013, 12:55 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
This prediction is a guarantee to come true.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:18 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
What?

French assault has led to tactical/strategic success with taking of several towns held by rebels

Also the Mali rebels have been abandoning heavy weaponry/pickup trucks to avoid destruction at hands of French Air Force

Not sure what exactly you expect from such a small force that French are putting on ground in Mali

It will be more important for African Troops to arrive and garrison the captured area so French can continue on offensive
I'm speaking of a cooperation problem.

Since Libya, the Euro governments have been waiting for something to unite around. They got it and they're still hesitant at the political level and with military leadership. This poses serious problems when approached with a meaningful conflict.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:35 PM
Sanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
I'm speaking of a cooperation problem.

Since Libya, the Euro governments have been waiting for something to unite around. They got it and they're still hesitant at the political level and with military leadership. This poses serious problems when approached with a meaningful conflict.
They have?
That's news to me.

Mali asked for help, some African states and France answered the call, with a pretty swift move no less. This was never a European operation, so why should the other European states have done much at all?

Old
01-19-2013, 02:47 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderson View Post
They have?
That's news to me.

Mali asked for help, some African states and France answered the call, with a pretty swift move no less. This was never a European operation, so why should the other European states have done much at all?
To display some sense of the ability to cooperate after the dissensions that were created with the Libya situation.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:56 PM
Sanderson

They do cooperate, as much as is necessary. What exactly do you want them to do, this is a French operation, the rest of Europe has nothing to do with it, yet they still send help. Germany, for example, can't send more than logistic help without a vote in the parliament.

The French are doing just fine. Nothing beyond moderate logistic help is necessary. Contrary to your statement, the French are capable enough to get this done on their own.

Old
01-19-2013, 03:32 PM
theotis77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderson View Post
They do cooperate, as much as is necessary. What exactly do you want them to do, this is a French operation, the rest of Europe has nothing to do with it, yet they still send help. Germany, for example, can't send more than logistic help without a vote in the parliament.

The French are doing just fine. Nothing beyond moderate logistic help is necessary. Contrary to your statement, the French are capable enough to get this done on their own.
Nonsense, just because there are Europeans involved must mean something they did in this entire operation was inferior in some way. I don't know what, but I'm sure we'll keep digging until we find it.

MurrayBannerman, please keep us posted with your findings. Thank you.

Old
01-19-2013, 06:49 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Cherry picking at its finest.
Perhaps you can enlighten us on how this is "cherry picking" and what context makes this somehow sound better?

Old
01-19-2013, 07:39 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Perhaps you can enlighten us on how this is "cherry picking" and what context makes this somehow sound better?
It's ignoring all the other racist, mean spirited, untrue and egotistical things he says.

Closed Thread