HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2013 CHL Top Prospects Game GDT

Old
01-17-2013, 09:27 AM
BerSTUzzi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Thoughts from last night:

- Sean Monahan just doesn't impress me. I loved the kid when I watched him as a 15 or 16 year old (don't remember which tournament it was exactly, or when exactly). But since that time, he just doesn't stand out to me. Yeah, he's well rounded, but I don't think I've ever seen him take over a game offensively or really stand out in any other way. Not sure why he's constantly being talked about as a top 4-5 pick.

- Darnell Nurse reminds me a lot of Duncan Siemens. Both big, mean and great skaters. Could see some teams liking Darnell in their top 10.

- For me, Seth Jones was far and away the best player on the ice during the top prospects game. Dominant at both ends.

- Other players who stood out for me were: Erne, Zadorov, Horvat, Martin, Jarry, Petan, Bowey, Morin, Bailey, Subban and Lazar's left hand.
You couldn't have compared him to someone better or do you think he'll be as bad as a prospect as Siemens? I thought I liked Siemens way back at his draft year but I find he's just lost out there (It could be because his team is lost in general). I don't like his game at all, the potential yes

BerSTUzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:30 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
You couldn't have compared him to someone better or do you think he'll be as bad as a prospect as Siemens? I thought I liked Siemens way back at his draft year but I find he's just lost out there (It could be because his team is lost in general). I don't like his game at all, the potential yes
They are really similar players. Both big, mean, physical, great skaters and both have slowly developed their decision making with the puck as well as both having some offensive potential.

And say what you want about Siemens being a 'bad' prospect, but that's an off-base comment. He's been the Blades best defenceman, hands down, since mid-November and has had some elite-level shutdown games in that time span.

He was drafted to be a shutdown D and he's developing very well in that role at the moment.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:45 AM
Deevo

Was at the game. I thought Seth Jones was the best player on the ice by a fair margin.

Deevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:47 AM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenson84 View Post
Yeah... and you're analyzing one 60 minute hockey game. Remember that. You obviously don't see all 3 play regularly so you watch one game expecting greatness, well, not even the "great one" was great every game.

All 3 are very legit.
Never said they weren't and this isn't my first time watching them. I just expected more.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:05 AM
Skinnyjimmy08

How was Theodore in the whole game??? I've seen him play alot live and his offensive skills are unreal. I wasn't able to catch much of this game though and was wondering how he was. I saw he was named an Assistant for the game

Skinnyjimmy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:14 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyjimmy08 View Post
How was Theodore in the whole game??? I've seen him play alot live and his offensive skills are unreal. I wasn't able to catch much of this game though and was wondering how he was. I saw he was named an Assistant for the game
I thought he struggled in the first, but got better as the game wore on. Didn't really get to show off his key strengths much, which are his elite skating and offensive abilities.

The lack of PP chances hurt players like him, who make a living off creating on the man-advantage.

Old
01-17-2013, 10:20 AM
FamousTee
Feels Good Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBHockey View Post
Were you the alternate "Grapes" on TV before the introductions!
I was the guy right next to that guy! He came down and stood right by my seat to be in the introduction.

FamousTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:25 AM
Skinnyjimmy08

Quote:
I thought he struggled in the first, but got better as the game wore on. Didn't really get to show off his key strengths much, which are his elite skating and offensive abilities.

The lack of PP chances hurt players like him, who make a living off creating on the man-advantage.
hmmm thats too bad because he is unbelievable on the PP. But ya I kinda figured there wouldnt be too many PP chances for him in this game

Skinnyjimmy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:26 AM
arsmaster

Quote:

On that topic, I really found the refs let them play last night.

I thought there were quite a few plays in the first two periods that should have been called.

Theodore had some 'slick' plays in the 3rd.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:08 AM
bigdirty

I saw Samuel Morin play a number of times last season, and he never did much to impress me.
Tonight was my first time watching him live this year and he was like a completely different player. Skating, and overall mobility have improved so much since I last saw him.
He's very much a long-term prospect but the payoff could be as huge as he is.

bigdirty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:48 PM
tmlms13

vCash: 50
I can't believe they went the entire game without making a joke about Stephen Harper the player and Stephen Harper the Prime Minister.

tmlms13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:52 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Not sure how well his game will translate to the NHL, especially due to his size, but Petan looked really good out there. His line looked dangerous every time it was on the ice, and a lot of that was him as the catalyst.

He probably isn't a first round pick, but I'd love it if the Pens took him in the second round if he's still available when they're picking.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:58 PM
Deevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousTee View Post
I was the guy right next to that guy! He came down and stood right by my seat to be in the introduction.
I was sitting within 3 seats of you for sure! (I was not the Grapes impersonator, baha)

Deevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:08 PM
Stoneberg
Bored

Was at the game live, result was as expected after looking over the lineup card (team Orr had 3 sets of 3 skaters from Portland, London, and Quebec so they probably had a leg up chemistry-wise).

It's too hard to pick just a few so I'll go with who I thought looked like the best prospects, and who I thought played the best.

If it wasn't clear before last night I think it probably is now, Jones and Mackinnon are clearly the most dynamic players from their positions in the draft. Jones had a dominant first period and looked strong all game, although he did get burned wide by Nate once and got away with a hook (obviously everyone was getting away with minor infractions). Mack didn't have his best game but he showed enough speed and skill to beat any of the players on the other team on the rush and along the boards, and probably generated the most chances on Team Cherry I feel like if he had burried one of those chances from the high slot area in the first he would have been regarded as having a better game by the majority.

I thought the trio of Quebec wingers all looked really good, especially Erne and Duclair speed and skill wise. I think it would have made perfect sense, and balanced the teams more, to have had those guys on Team Cherry over some of the OHL'ers and WHL'ers that looked far from impressive.

I also came away impressed with Nurse and Zadorov.

Last but not least Dauphin and Petan both looked pretty good out there as well.

Players I was underwhelmed by:
-Drouin - I see him in Halifax enough to know this was just a bad game, but being -too selfish and flashy with the puck has been a recent trend since the WJC's.
-Monahan - Not until the third period did he show me any flashes of being a top ten pick in the offensive zone, but those flashes showed exactly the quality I was expecting.
-Lazar - Barely noticeable aside from the scrap in the first two periods, looked much better in the third to me as well. Though he was going to be a beast after seeing him in the U16's here a couple years back, don't know if the offensive ceiling is as high as I first thought (good heavy shot though).
-Mantha - He was absolutely dreadfull aside from a couple nice cross ice passes through traffic I saw in the third period in the offensive zone. Looked lazy, disinterested and selfish at times. I've seen him play the Moose and he looked much better.
-Overall I think the forward crop from the Q this year, in terms of offensive talent, is stronger than the other two leagues. Guys like Harper, Dickinson, and a bunch of names I've already forgotton from those two leagues looked terrible for most of the game.

Obviously it's just one game so it's hard to form any sory of real analysis of someone (Jo is the perfect example), I'm sure most just had bad games. I'm probably forgetting some points I thought of last night, oh well.

Stoneberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:14 PM
hawksfan50

In the first period Seth Jones looked like he was at a level far beyond anyone else in the game --in the next two,he was solid but did not attack as much ...the final 2 periods saw Nikita Zadorov make fools of Central Scouting mid-term rankings--30thNA
skater-ARE YOU KIDDING ME? BOTH ISS and CRAIG BUTTON have him in their top ten --after Jones,he is either the 2nd or 3rd best D-prospect in this draft -depending on whether you want more offense or defense RASMUS RISTOLAINEN--who of course as a euro was not in the game-- is the other contender for 2nd or 3rd best D-man with Zadorov... Zadorov kept up big hits and easy also rub-outs along the boards- and AS USUAL --along with D-partner MADISON BOWEY -also AS USUAL (since both are among the very best D-men in the CHL in +/-.....BOTH registered a +2 for the game ...I think ZADOROV made saps of the CSS ranking --he looked like a man playing with boys ...shame on CSS for such an egregious mistake in ranking..
BTQW-I also liked my first look at BOWEY--very mobile and agile and can rush the puck up ice pulling away from checkers and very good agility to stick with his checks when oppents do twists and turns --he looked mid-level in physicality--not a great physical strength and edgy hitter like Zadorov --but mid-level good enough in that Dub sort of way -I see him as quintessential 2-way d-man with great skating and mobility and being a RD --of value to teams who may be thin at that position..

I also thought CHRIS BIGRAS showed very well as a solid SAH shutdown D,pl;aying a simple but very effective mistake-free and solid game-you rub guys out ,use proper positioning,disrupt plays,make clears---just very very solid..

Forr losing team Cherry---Darnel Nurse cemented his spot in the debate about being in the top 5 d for the draft..

Here is how I now rank the top 7 D-men:

1. S. Jones
2. R. Ristolainen
3.N. Zadorov
4. D. Nurse
5. M. Bowey
6.R. Hagg
7. C. Bigras

Nurse is and big size 6'5 192 to effectively take out rushers easily --but does not hit as impactfully like Zadorov 6'5 228 can.. Both are LD's so no position preference among these 2 BIG D-men ..
Some might flip Bigras over Hagg --Bigras is a LD SAH type--Hagg is more of a two-way type who I think also plays LD (he shoots left anyway)..

Having seen all these guys now -I think I have it about right on the top 7 d -men for this draft..Of course we did not see Pulock in the Top Prospects game due to injury--but I did see him before and i would not put him in that top 7 ...not even sure if he is 8th ..

NOW--as to GOALIES: Once AGAIN FUCALE proves he can't stop pucks efficiently-I do not get his #! NA rannking on most lists -his save% stats on a top Halifax team in the Q and not facing barrages of shots -just do not justify such hype about him.

I was MORE IMPRESSED at my first looks at TRISTAN JARRY and PHILLPE
DESROSIERS ....I like the techniques of both goalies--JARRY also handles the puck very well --made some spectacular saves and showed great quickness---the trouble was he only played 16 games so far this season for EDM behind Brossoit --and does not face a lot of shots per game-so you wonder at his great save% and 4 shutouts in 16GP -but after what I saw last night from him- I can see he has "got it" -there is als a confidence in his game that just screams he could be a #1 goalie solution down the road for some NHL team that drafts him . To me, he jumps to #1 NA goalie --I like him a lot better than Fucale... I like Desrosiers too from what i saw ...OF course cOMRIE was not in the game,and he is supposed to be the #2 rated NA goalie-I have seen him play and I think I would prefer JARRY and DESROSIERS over him too.
HOWEVER--while my gut instinct says JARRY has "IT" already -- I would like to get other looks at DESROSIERS just to be sure--agfter all he did play with a superior D-group last night (Jones,Zadorov,Bowey,Bigras made Team Orr superior as they STYMIED the hyped forwards of Team Cherry (MacKinnon,Drouin,Mantha etc..)
Still i saw something in Desrosiers and i might put him art #2NA goalie now ahead of Comrie..I do not think i can even put Fucale 4th NA goalie-I just do not think he stops pucks well enough..
So if there was one BIG revelation to me from the TOP PROSPECTS GAMe -it was the showcase of TRISTAN JARRY -he now ought to be a RISER on the RADAR of any NHL team looking to draft a top goalie prospect with their first rounder ..

What about SPENCER MARTIN who stopped all 16 shots he faced in starting the game for Team Orr? Well I saw him early this year when he got off to a spectacular start for Mississauga --BUT I also saw him flub horribly later during a slump that saw his save% plummet -exposing flws in his technique ...Even last night while he did not let any pucks past him there were some juicy rebounds team Cherry just did not get to and so I still am concerened about his technique and focus isues..In any case I do not see the "IT" factor as my gut instinct saw in the super confident JARRY..
I cannot explain the instinct-it just is..I think JArry has that "special" quality like Brodeur had for so many years.. He also plays a hybrid style-not the usual butterfly drop only technique.. Some save he made standing straight up --some were athletic robbery saves,some were position square to shooter saves--some were slide saves with the pads ..and some were quick reflex glove saves ..in any case the radar should be on him now --if only EDM would give him more playing chances ..but we shall see which NHL team grabs him and when-a ver interesting goalie prospect --IMO..

NOW--as to the forwards:

MacKinnon,Drouin -they were STYMIED by the team Orr d and MacKinnon often had the dogged BO HORVAT shadowing him which also helped in rendering the hyped MacKinnon as unable to be effective ..

For Team Orr--neither SEAN MONAHAN nor MAX DOMI had any kind of shine to their games either..

Thus a lot of the most hyped "star" forwards did NADA to impress anyone in this game..

RATHER we got -a replacement player who CS ranked 41st NA--LAURENT DAUPHIN with 1 gand 1a plus he hit a post --it of course is only one game and nobody expects the "big hyped guns to drop or Dauphin to rise into the first round just because of either stinker or great performances..

We did see the pip-squeak line of Duclair Petan and Bjorkland be the best line in the game ---actually LW Anthony Duclair(quebec,QMJHL) is not that small --5'11 185
but the 2 Portland Winterhawks -- (C) Nicolas Petan 5'9,166 and his RW Oliver
Bjorkstrand 5'11 164 ---are small -in height and/or weight ....DUCLAIR is also the youngest with an August birthdate-- so maybe he spurts bigger yet..
In any case PETAN despite his size showed great skill And WILL --and while I criticized Dub small forwards as maybe never translating their games to pro success in the NHL-you can see that PETAN has that extra "desire" factor-not just satisfied with his own skill marvles -because when he got knocked down -he got right back in to battle and win pucks--great heart and so MAYBE he bucks the odds of liitle skill guys ever making it? DUCLAIR -i just loved his hockey sense and beautiful saucer passes off the rush --I think he will surprise a lot of teams that pass on him in the draft to be a better NHL'er than many hyped forwards taken ahead of him--also as one of the youngest in this draft he still has room to make a big improvenent rise,,
THIs ia ANOTHER hunch pick of mine for greater than expected "value" or return on investment..

So -if I had to sum thiis games up:

1. JONES as advertised.

2. MacKinnon,Drouin,Monahan,Domi--big FLOPS...

3. ZADOROV makes CSS look like huge FOOLS..

4. NURSE,BOWEY,BIGRAS all solid bets -theiur draft teams will not be disappointed..

5. JARRY --the best NA goalie and has "IT"...DESROSIERS merits closer RADAR look -could be 2nd best NA goalie of the crop?

6. BO HORVAT --need a 2-way centre who can shutdown top stars of other lines,play Pk,win faceoffs, and will get scoring chances and some games will csh those in--SOLID sure-fure bet for NHL 2C or #3C role---very vALUEABLE COMMODITY..

7. DUCLAIR -surprise--keep your eye on him..

8. PETAN --maybe a little guy who CAN?

I think I summed it up pretty well,n'est-ce-pas?

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:38 PM
arsmaster

I don't even think Bowey is in the top 3 WHL defensman for this draft, let alone top 5 overall.

I'd take Pulock, Morrisey, and Theodore over him without much thought.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:01 PM
puckfan13

Everyone already knows Jones, MacKinnon and Drouin. Nothing in this game did anything to move any of their draft stocks or generate further discussion really, all played good games.

Other players though:

Horvat and Monahan could both survive in the NHL next year with their defensive abilities, but Horvat should obviously stay in order to further develop his offensive game but he has huge hockey IQ. Monahan is a top-5 pick, he can bring Couturier/Jordan Staal level of maturity in his rookie year, he's a playoff kind of player. Love Horvat's game too, he can be a terrific 2/3 C in the NHL that brings elite defense if his game keeps improving, can see him as an elite checker/defender that can chip in some offense.

Hartman is going to be a player, he has that drive and determination that players like Callahan and Mike Richards have. Top 20 for me, think he is better than Laughton who was drafted last year but are both '94s.

Theodore looked very below-average to me, so tentative and weak when physicality starts coming and the speed of the game increases, but his distribution when he had the puck looked good. Morrissey on the other hand is the same calm, cool and collected player as always - think he has cemented himself as the third best WHL defender and I would probably spend a top 15 pick on him. Just so smooth in all aspects and a great sense of where to be. Still has a baby face and has a lot of filling out yet to do, by the time he is 20 and in the AHL he will be ready to do some serious damage.

Jordan Subban is undoubtedly undersized but flashed 2nd round potential to me after he was a late invite and thought of as a 4th rounder or later. His skating, crispness of his passing and authority with which he makes decisions with the puck and how he always has his head up with his feet moving make me feel good about him. Factoring in his bloodlines, really don't think you can discount that he will know what it takes. The raw skill is there and I think the work ethic and determination will follow especially when you see the jump in development from 17 to 18 in both his brothers. Definitely don't think this is another Jared Staal - the talent is there this time.

Adam Erne is probably somewhere in the 20's for me, good power game but I like players that can control overall play more but he can break a game open at any time. Lazar is out of my first round, I've seen him 20+ times live in Edmonton but these other kids just show too much potential for me to justify taking him in the 20's even.

Most impressive to me however in terms of NHL potential were Darnell Nurse and Nic Petan. Nurse I would take in the top 10 without even blinking, he is a little raw still but he plays like how everybody wants Griffin Reinhart to play, he has the same mobility and size but is aggressive as hell and plays with a mean streak while keeping his head up making solid plays. Reinhart's hockey sense might be a little better but you can't not like the package of tools Nurse is bringing, could be a truly scary defender in the NHL. A nasty version of Brayden Coburn with Bieksa's aggression.

In Petan's case it is difficult to think size will hamper him in the NHL, seen him play in the WHL too and this kid is flashing Eberle/Skinner potential in my opinion. His offensive skills and hockey sense are off the charts and could definitely overtake Shinkaruk in my eyes by the end of this season.

In summary, this is seriously looking like the best crop of CHL kids in a long time, so much potential stretching into the second round and maybe even beyond. Could be the best crop since 2003, these kids were for real last night and a treat to watch.

Last edited by puckfan13: 01-17-2013 at 02:22 PM.
puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:50 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post
NOW--as to GOALIES: Once AGAIN FUCALE proves he can't stop pucks efficiently-I do not get his #! NA rannking on most lists -his save% stats on a top Halifax team in the Q and not facing barrages of shots -just do not justify such hype about him.
Halifax's defence isn't very good fyi. Many people at the game + pundits alike said Fucale was the lone bright spot on his side.

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:02 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nki View Post
Is there a full game available somewhere, I only caught the 3rd period.
After much searching (bottom of page):

http://www.justin.tv/furby17/videos?page=1

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:25 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Thoughts from last night:

- Sean Monahan just doesn't impress me. I loved the kid when I watched him as a 15 or 16 year old (don't remember which tournament it was exactly, or when exactly). But since that time, he just doesn't stand out to me. Yeah, he's well rounded, but I don't think I've ever seen him take over a game offensively or really stand out in any other way. Not sure why he's constantly being talked about as a top 4-5 pick.

- Darnell Nurse reminds me a lot of Duncan Siemens. Both big, mean and great skaters. Could see some teams liking Darnell in their top 10.

- For me, Seth Jones was far and away the best player on the ice during the top prospects game. Dominant at both ends.

- Other players who stood out for me were: Erne, Zadorov, Horvat, Martin, Jarry, Petan, Bowey, Morin, Bailey, Subban and Lazar's left hand.
You obviously don't watch many 67's games, that much is clear.

Monahan is often the best player on the ice for both teams. He control's the tempo of the game extremely well, he's got a great shot, tremendous vision and elite 3 zone play. That's why he's ranked so high.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:28 PM
wings5

Lots of diversity in this game. Players of the visible minority in Jones, Bowey, Duclair, Bailey for Team Orr and Subban, Harper and Nurse for Team Cherry, good to see.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 04:15 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
You obviously don't watch many 67's games, that much is clear.

Monahan is often the best player on the ice for both teams. He control's the tempo of the game extremely well, he's got a great shot, tremendous vision and elite 3 zone play. That's why he's ranked so high.
Yeah, and everyone always talks about that, yet whenever I see him play (admittedly only have 5-7) viewings of him under my belt, he never seems to impress me. As I stated, I really liked him I think at the U-17's or at Canada Games or something like that. During those viewings he was full of energy and creating tons of chances. Hasn't shown me stuff like that lately.

Old
01-17-2013, 04:22 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Yeah, and everyone always talks about that, yet whenever I see him play (admittedly only have 5-7) viewings of him under my belt, he never seems to impress me. As I stated, I really liked him I think at the U-17's or at Canada Games or something like that. During those viewings he was full of energy and creating tons of chances. Hasn't shown me stuff like that lately.
He's playing on maybe the worst team in the CHL this season with different line mates almost every game. The fact he's been able to put up 49pts in 35games is incredible to me. He'd been playing with guys like Steven Janes, Remy Giftopolous, Taylor Fielding, Brett Gustavsen, well, you get it lol. He's been phenomenal based on the quality of linemates he's had this season.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 04:38 PM
beenhereandthere

For me, what was really cool, is 6 of the players on both rosters, happened to be black, which shows how far this game of hockey has come, 20 years ago, that would have been completely unheard of.

beenhereandthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 04:48 PM
Money Baer
4 8 15 16 23 42

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
For me, what was really cool, is 6 of the players on both rosters, happened to be black, which shows how far this game of hockey has come, 20 years ago, that would have been completely unheard of.

Bowey
Harper
Jones
Duclair
Nurse
Subban
Bailey

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote