HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Maple Leafs waive Tim Connolly

Old
01-17-2013, 10:19 AM
Mit Yarrum
HoF Turd Shiner

vCash: 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
I don't think Connolly can even be bought out, since the salary he has after this season is $0, and the accelerated compliance buyout is still based on calculations at the end of the year, not right now.

I find it hard to believe that even if the Leafs ate half his salary they couldn't find a trading partner. Makes little sense.
IMO Timmah is worth a 1 million contract right now. So even if they eat half, he's still overpaid and an injury risk. I can see it.

Mit Yarrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:19 AM
Razor29
Bandwagon Hopper

vCash: 50
Damn. Was really hoping the Avs were gonna trade Stastny for him.

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:20 AM
TML g u n n e R s*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torr View Post
Damn. Was really hoping the Avs were gonna trade Stastny for him.
yea me too

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:20 AM
Gardiner Expressway

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Mac
Kuli-McClement-Kadri
Komarov-Steckel-Brown
x: Frattin

Phaneuf-Gunnar
Liles-Gardiner
Franson-Holzer/Komi
x: Holzer/Komi, Fraser/Kostka

Reimer
Scrivens

Sounds about right?

Gardiner Expressway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:21 AM
doorman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML g u n n e R s View Post
to give space for player's like kadri/frattin/Komarov
What I am saying is they don't need the cap space, waive and send down yes. Waste buyout, no thank you. I think i was misunderstood. I agree with kids needing to play to see what we have in them.

doorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:21 AM
Stats01

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedorov View Post
Toronto should just unleash their enourmous financial resource advantage to suck in all the worst contracts in the leauge and buy them out for draft picks. Toronto could go into the 2013 draft with 5 first rounders and since the CBA is brand new they can do this for another 8 to 10 years.
The new rules are really going to help out teams like Toronto. Being able to take on some salary to facilitate trades is going to really help out with player movement.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:23 AM
TML g u n n e R s*

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
What I am saying is they don't need the cap space, waive and send down yes. Waste buyout, no thank you. I think i was misunderstood. I agree with kids needing to play to see what we have in them.
how is this wasting a buyout??

who else are we going to buyout??

how do you know if we dont need the cap space?? This might be a move to bring in someone else

Old
01-17-2013, 10:23 AM
Stats01

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by LupulMania View Post
Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Mac
Kuli-McClement-Kadri
Komarov-Steckel-Brown

Phaneuf-Gunnar
Liles-Gardiner
Franson-Holzer/Komi

Reimer
Scrivens

Sounds about right?
You're missing Rielly for the time being until Gardiner gets back, but yes that looks about right. I'd put Gardiner with Phaneuf and Gunnar with Liles.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:24 AM
DBU
Yung Deebz

vCash: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Nope. Phoenix is done. At least until Raffi Torres returns eight games into this ridiculous season in which that span will represent twenty percent of the entire thing. Stupid, pointless lock-out.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding but are you really upset that the league didn't reduce Torres' suspension just because the season is shorter?

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
I don't think Connolly can even be bought out, since the salary he has after this season is $0, and the accelerated compliance buyout is still based on calculations at the end of the year, not right now.

I find it hard to believe that even if the Leafs ate half his salary they couldn't find a trading partner. Makes little sense.
The buyout like Redden and Gomez would make zero sense in a case with the player on the last year of his deal. The issue with thsoe two was the risk of injury and being stuff with the contract for next year. If anything the Leafs would send him to the AHL. It would accomplish the same thing.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HappyGilmourr
#FireShapiro

Quote:
Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Mac
Kuli-McClement-Kadri
Komarov-Steckel-Brown

Phaneuf-Gunnar
Liles-Gardiner
Franson-Holzer/Komi

Reimer
Scrivens

Sounds about right?
you forgot Luongo and Getzlaf bro

HappyGilmourr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:25 AM
caley

James Mirtle believes that if Connolly goes unclaimed on waivers, then the Leafs will likely try to pull of a deal like yesterday, moving Connolly to a team looking for a Top 6 forward and absorbing part of his cap hit.

caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
dubplatepressure

Quote:

how do you know if we dont need the cap space?? This might be a move to bring in someone else
Isn't this obvious? Because there are a limited number of them, of course - and being as such, they are valuable. So wasting one on a pending UFA when you can just as easily demote him is absurd.

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kyle Doobas*

vCash: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARTONK View Post
Your avatar just made me laugh out loud in class!! He looks so lost.
That was literally the look on his face through his entire first press conference as GM.

Still doing better than Burke so far, though.

Kyle Doobas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:26 AM
BruinsBtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor View Post
Hey, we Sabres fans warned you guys last year. But nooooo, Zeke and the others had all their stats to wave in our faces. No thanks!
I was told he was as good as Brad Richards. The numbers proved it.

BruinsBtn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:26 AM
dirtydangles7*

Quote:
Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Mac
Kuli-McClement-Kadri
Komarov-Steckel-Brown

Phaneuf-Gunnar
Liles-Gardiner
Franson-Holzer/Komi

Reimer
Scrivens

Sounds about right?
I actually cannot believe a Leafs fan would leave Frattin as the odd man out...the guy is an absolute beast; he hits well, his shot is probably the best on the team, he's solid defensively, and obviously his skating is pretty impressive as well.

dirtydangles7* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:27 AM
Healfezza

1. I think they waived him first to see if there are any takers for his full salary.

2. I believe if no one picks him up at full pop, they will attempt to trade him retaining partial salary.

3. Stop talking about compliance buyout... It wouldn't apply, but rather they would do a REGULAR buyout paying out only 2/3rds of his salary over 2x the term retaining that cap hit.

Healfezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:28 AM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedorov View Post
Toronto should just unleash their enourmous financial resource advantage to suck in all the worst contracts in the leauge and buy them out for draft picks. Toronto could go into the 2013 draft with 5 first rounders and since the CBA is brand new they can do this for another 8 to 10 years.
??

What I understand is that there are only 2 amnesty buyouts in this CBA. The rest of the buyouts would have a cap hit associated with them.

Or am I out to lunch?

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:

From the perspective that the "amnesty buy-out's" still count 100% (less the $900K credit) against the salary cap this year, because TC's contract is up at the end of the year, there is NO benefit to the utilizing an amnesty buy-out on him. They'd be better off moving him and keeping half the cap hit & salary, which would still save them $1.5+ of cap space, as well as some real cash. If there's no takers - send him to the Marlies. That would be the same cap and salary implications as buying him out, and wouldn't take use one of the Leafs amnesty buy-outs.

TC is different from Redden or Gomez that they were told to go home because the team was afraid they would get hurt prior to the amnesty guy out period and they both had salary committed to them after this year. That's not the case with Connelly.

From my perspective - TOR has the ability to trade for a bad contract on a budget teams that doesn't have the $'s to spend for a compliance buy-out, and add an asset (how good an asset depending on how big the $ buy out is).

Beukeboom Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Stallone View Post
I think most people were just relieved we signed Connolly to a two-year deal rather than Richards to a nine-year one.
One of those is not like the other.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
UB1

making room for Reden .. Gomez and Lou
say bye to Kadri and Bozack

UB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
doorman

Quote:

Ok, seriously, who are we bringing in????? NOBODY, that's who. It is only my opinion, doesn't make me wrong or right. And the buyouts maybe used in the next two seasons after this. Are you saying there is zero chance of a uber rich team like the Leafs not trying to buy a 1st rounder? He was waived simply to free up a roster space,IMO.

doorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TML g u n n e R s*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
Isn't this obvious? Because there are a limited number of them, of course - and being as such, they are valuable. So wasting one on a pending UFA when you can just as easily demote him is absurd.
and we used a buyout?? You think of it as wasting?? while i look at it with breath of fresh air

Old
01-17-2013, 10:29 AM
TML g u n n e R s*

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
Ok, seriously, who are we bringing in????? NOBODY, that's who. It is only my opinion, doesn't make me wrong or right. And the buyouts maybe used in the next two seasons after this. Are you saying there is zero chance of a uber rich team like the Leafs not trying to buy a 1st rounder? He was waived simply to free up a roster space,IMO.
and if that's the case I AM FINE WITH IT

Old
01-17-2013, 10:29 AM
Stormcrow

It will be interesting to see if anyone claims him at 100%. It will also be interesting to see what the Leafs can get for a 50% pro rated Connolly. Toronto really took the new CBA rules to heart right off the bat.
This move is 100% roster spot. The Leafs will have some Marlies in the lineup on Sat which is a good thing really. I can't remember a time when Toronto had so much cap space available!

Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote