HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Laces

Old
01-17-2013, 11:28 AM
lilphill23

vCash: 500
Laces

I am just curious what people use for laces (length) I wear size 11 Bauer One.6 and I use Elite hockey laces 120in and i get HUGE rabbit ears that need to be tucked into the skate. I am trying to see what other people use that wear a similar size skate to eleviate the Rabbit ears but not leave me with nothing left on the laces.

lilphill23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:31 AM
ChrisNI

vCash: 50
Trim them?
Then wrap leg tape or something round the end and melt it with a lighter. Used this to fix many a broken/frayed lace.

Or double knot the rabbit ears so they aren't as big?

ChrisNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:35 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Funny you should mention that, I just got a pair of 120" Elite white unwaxed Pro laces. They seem wider than the regular laces and I've got a thick white felt tongue so I gave them a shot. A little bit of stretch but not too bad. I think 108" is standard for my size 8 skates, but they always seem so short. The 120's are a bit long but I like all the extra room when lacing, I can pull them tighter and then really loosen them to take them off without the laces coming out of the eyelets.

In the past I usually stick to waxed Grafs. Solid laces. Might try 120 waxed Graf next time I'm in a shop that carries them.

Generally my favorite unwaxed are Bauer, they are wide and don't stretch. Can't compare to the Elite Pro as I haven't had Bauer laces for a while. Again, need to pick some up when I see them.

Also used Gorilla laces in the past, and they were nice. Held tight without coming undone. But when I switched from Bauer to Graf skates, I had to use wider/softer laces as small ones would dig into my foot and cause lace bite.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:26 PM
SCBruCrew4

I have long laces as well, when I play I tuck the tongue and laces of my skates under my shin pad and put a strip of tape around there so that eleviates it. When i'm not wearing pads (coaching my sons team) I just leave them hanging since I won't be doing any real skating. I just try to make sure they have enough clearance to not get under the blade.

SCBruCrew4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:51 PM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Funny you should mention that, I just got a pair of 120" Elite white unwaxed Pro laces. They seem wider than the regular laces and I've got a thick white felt tongue so I gave them a shot. A little bit of stretch but not too bad. I think 108" is standard for my size 8 skates, but they always seem so short. The 120's are a bit long but I like all the extra room when lacing, I can pull them tighter and then really loosen them to take them off without the laces coming out of the eyelets.

In the past I usually stick to waxed Grafs. Solid laces. Might try 120 waxed Graf next time I'm in a shop that carries them.

Generally my favorite unwaxed are Bauer, they are wide and don't stretch. Can't compare to the Elite Pro as I haven't had Bauer laces for a while. Again, need to pick some up when I see them.

Also used Gorilla laces in the past, and they were nice. Held tight without coming undone. But when I switched from Bauer to Graf skates, I had to use wider/softer laces as small ones would dig into my foot and cause lace bite.
I'm with you, I like the 120s for the same reason you do. I used to wear 108s but for some reason they seemed to be getting shorter each time I bought a new pair. I'm not a conspiracy theorist but almost has me wondering if lace companies are taking an inch or two off what they say the length is. In any case, I wear waxed Elites but I find the consistency in waxiness and length pretty variable, they need better quality control at least. I bought red and loved them but the next reds had very little wax on them.

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:51 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

I wear 108s on my 8.5 Vapors... But decided to go for 98s, they're perfect!

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:39 PM
rbarker26

I wear 11.5 bauer vapors, and just bought some elite waxed laces 120". I wish I would have gone down a size in length, I have too much lace left when I'm done tying

rbarker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:44 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Also, I used to wear 96's when I skipped 1-2 eyelets.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote