HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NJD 2013 Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2013, 09:32 AM
CerebralGenesis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrique Iglesias View Post
Since the draft is all on one day, does that make it virtually impossible to get tickets?
It shouldn't make a difference. Most attendees from day 2 probably had tickets for day 1 so it isn't that bad. Getting in day 1 is a pain though so it is essentially all or nothing this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
You take the best available talent and figure out the rest later. The Blues landed Tarasenko because they had a surplus of blueliners and moved David Rundblad to Ottawa, who were looking to add to their blueline. We are basically in the same situation if you will and moving someone like Merrill, could get us equal talent up front and we'd still be in solid shape cause of the depth we have at that position.
God damn I want Tarasenko. Or some other ridiculous young forward. I'll settle for Bobby Ryan or Cory Perry or a comparable.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:43 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

With all the depth we have on the backend, I really wouldn't mind moving Merrill if we can somehow land a young and promising forward.

I know Merrill is viewed as a "untouchable" by many posters around here but you have to give to get and if we're able to make a trade ala Blues/Sens... he'd be forgotten pretty easily IMO.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:22 AM
Traitor Zach
Waive Gionta

I would prefer holding onto Merrill but if he could snag us a young cost controlled winger I would do it and I wouldnt be stunned if we saw it happen.

Devils are loaded with D in the system.

Old
01-16-2013, 05:12 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
With all the depth we have on the backend, I really wouldn't mind moving Merrill if we can somehow land a young and promising forward.

I know Merrill is viewed as a "untouchable" by many posters around here but you have to give to get and if we're able to make a trade ala Blues/Sens... he'd be forgotten pretty easily IMO.
It depends on the forward. If the Blues tell us they will give us Tarasenko or the Oilers offer one of their top guys, sign me up. But don't trade him for less than full value. And I don't know if Merrill's stock has gone up around the league sufficiently for him to have full value.

Old
01-16-2013, 08:30 PM
Devils1029

Spoke to the fan experience rep the other day and asked about tickets for the draft and if Season ticket holders would get first crack at reserving seats. She indicated that they were in the process of trying to secure a number of tickets.

I read someplace NJ had about 10K season tickets sold. If every one claimed a draft tickets, that would fill up the upper bowl, leaving the lower bowl for the players, family, media, etc. Personally, I'm hoping I can get downstairs tickets.

Old
01-16-2013, 08:33 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Merrill for Tarasenko

Old
01-16-2013, 08:51 PM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

I don't want Lou to trade any of the prospects until we have seen the best of them.

Even if it means getting Tarasenko. Maybe.

Old
01-16-2013, 08:55 PM
Parise9Crosby87

Tarasenko would be the only prospect i would want for jon merril

Old
01-16-2013, 10:45 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parise9Crosby87 View Post
Tarasenko would be the only prospect i would want for jon merril
I can think of several more, but I don't think Merrill is going to be traded for any of them anyway.

Old
01-17-2013, 08:02 AM
ZajacsShakes
Den-ee-oos Zoo-Broos

What does our goaltending in the system look like?

Old
01-17-2013, 09:00 AM
Semak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZajacsShakes View Post
What does our goaltending in the system look like?
They wear masks and big pads. Pretty much look like any other team's goaltending.

Scott Wedgewood has the most promise, but is in his first year of pro ECHL. Keith Kinkaid might be the closest to NHL but still needs another season or two or three. Jeff Frazee, filler. Maxime Clermont ECHL filler for now who might surprise as a dark horse in 4-5 years.

Pro scouts posters, did I miss anything?

Old
01-17-2013, 09:06 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semak View Post
They wear masks and big pads. Pretty much look like any other team's goaltending.

Scott Wedgewood has the most promise, but is in his first year of pro ECHL. Keith Kinkaid might be the closest to NHL but still needs another season or two or three. Jeff Frazee, filler. Maxime Clermont ECHL filler for now who might surprise as a dark horse in 4-5 years.

Pro scouts posters, did I miss anything?

Timo Pielmeier, who we let go to Germany and isn`t really worth mentioning at all. And Frazee is finally healthy and playing much better.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:13 AM
Buggsy

What makes people so much higher on Wedge than Kinkaid?

Old
01-17-2013, 09:24 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
It depends on the forward. If the Blues tell us they will give us Tarasenko or the Oilers offer one of their top guys, sign me up. But don't trade him for less than full value. And I don't know if Merrill's stock has gone up around the league sufficiently for him to have full value.
I just don't see what the big deal is about Merrill. We make it seem like he's a lottery pick.

I don't know what "full value" means when talking about Merrill. We'd be moving a prospect for another prospect, so basically both clubs would be trading question marks for question marks.

I'm certain Ottawa never thought that Rundblad would be the player he is today when they made the move and I'm certain St-Louis never dreamed that Tarasenko would be as good as he is today.

We all know that our scouting team is top notch and if the proper player is out there, I'd move Merrill in a heartbeat if it means getting a solid prospect up front (example: Gustav Nyquist)

Old
01-17-2013, 09:31 AM
CerebralGenesis

What is Merrill's value anyway? He's played 2 1/3 seasons essentially.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:31 AM
Semak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggsy View Post
Younger, has shown big game potential in junior playoffs and at the WJC. But who knows, goaltending prospects are like lottery scratch off tickets.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:32 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggsy View Post
It`s the exact opposite. Kinkaid is known for letting in soft goals after hours of standing on his head. He needs to be more consistent.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:40 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
What is Merrill's value anyway? He's played 2 1/3 seasons essentially.
I have no idea what his value is but if he can fetch us a young solid forward, that's all that matters at the end of the day.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:47 AM
Cowbell232

Merrill's value is too low and potential too high to be traded.

I think most traded prospects have a little more more neutral ratio of risk/reward, IMHO.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:59 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
Merrill's value is too low and potential too high to be traded.

I think most traded prospects have a little more more neutral ratio of risk/reward, IMHO.
NHL scouts know who John Merrill is. It's not as if they aren't aware of his talent on the ice or his off ice "issues". When trading prospects, you are basically trading for potential and nothing else. A team that is stacked with offensive prospects might just knock on our door to swing a deal involving one of our defensive prospects.

I'm just saying that I wouldn't be opposed to move Merrill if it meant getting a stud forward prospect.

Old
01-17-2013, 10:04 AM
Cowbell232

Quote:
NHL scouts know who John Merrill is. It's not as if they aren't aware of his talent on the ice or his off ice "issues". When trading prospects, you are basically trading for potential and nothing else. A team that is stacked with offensive prospects might just knock on our door to swing a deal involving one of our defensive prospects.

I'm just saying that I wouldn't be opposed to move Merrill if it meant getting a stud forward prospect.
I agree with everything in this post, but I think you're missing the point of mine.

Merrill's potential is high enough to command a fair return for him - i.e., a stud forward prospect - but his off ice issues probably will restrain many other teams from making that swap.

I just don't see him moving.

Old
01-17-2013, 10:16 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
I agree with everything in this post, but I think you're missing the point of mine.

Merrill's potential is high enough to command a fair return for him - i.e., a stud forward prospect - but his off ice issues probably will restrain many other teams from making that swap.

I just don't see him moving.
I agree with your pov but you also have to take into consideration that we are dealing with young teenagers that will make mistakes from time to time. We were able to move Cormier after he got the most negative exposure I've seen in a long long while due to a vicious hit but the Thrashers were high on his potential and were betting that he'd turn out as we expected when we drafted him.

I don't see him moving either but I wouldn't be against it if Lou were to ship him out of town.

Old
01-17-2013, 10:16 AM
CerebralGenesis

time to showcase Urbom or gelinas then.

Old
01-17-2013, 11:44 AM
apice3*

I don't see Merrill being moved. When you have extreme depth, you don't trade the premier piece. You trade the next tier, like Urbom, Gelinas, etc.

Unless we're getting an elite forward prospect like Tarasenko, but I don't see why the Blues would move him.

Old
01-17-2013, 11:51 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
I don't see Merrill being moved. When you have extreme depth, you don't trade the premier piece. You trade the next tier, like Urbom, Gelinas, etc.

Unless we're getting an elite forward prospect like Tarasenko, but I don't see why the Blues would move him.
Why are we so hooked on Taransenko?

He's a stud, so I don't know why the Blues would move him other then to land a big piece for a cup run. I used Tarasenko to justify a prospect for prospect type deal, not because Merrill is on the same level as him.

I just don't see Merrill as being all that important. It might just be me, IDK, but I see Paul Martin 2.0 when I look at him play.

Closed Thread