HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2013 Official NHL Draft Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Konk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
And I suppose Anders Lee, Casey Cizikas, Johan Sundstrom will play 4th, 5th and 6th line center as well?
Anders Lee hasn't shown any desire to be an Islander, so I wouldn't hold my breath on him being an option. If he were to sign, he has shown to be a solid winger in the past and slotting him on the wing would also help disguise some of his limitations.

Cizikas doesn't exactly have the highest upside and would actually be an ideal 4th liner.

Sundstrom has played wing a lot in his career.

Lets also remember this is reality and not NHL 13, not all of these guys are going to make the show and/or their ultimate upside. It'll work itself out in the end.

Old
12-09-2012, 10:00 PM
Islanders1932

If the season is a full lockout, how does the draft work? Would everyone still have a shot at the number 1 overall, or would it be based on the last seasons standings?

Old
12-09-2012, 10:03 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
Kyle Okposo played center his last year at Minnesota, so did Blake Wheeler. Means nothing.

I see Nelson fulfilling a Jordan Staal-esque role in the NHL, not quite a top end offensive player, but good all-around and dependable in every situation. What's wrong with Tavares-Strome-Nelson as strong center depth? Its the most important forward position; all three are natural centers. Strome and Nelson are being groomed as such and are essentially two of the three most important Isles prospects up front along with Niederreiter.

Why would you move Nelson to wing? Leave them at center and build around them.
Definitely agree with this. Being strong up the middle is a good thing in the NHL. Even still, it is hardly the time to make any decisions regarding who stays, who goes, who gets moved to wing, etc.

Old
12-09-2012, 10:24 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders1932 View Post
If the season is a full lockout, how does the draft work? Would everyone still have a shot at the number 1 overall, or would it be based on the last seasons standings?
I believe they'll do a ping pong ball set up.

12-10-2012, 06:52 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
I'm going to start betting all of you that think these natural centers are going to be converted to wing. I'll make so much money.
Does that include Bailey?

Old
12-10-2012, 08:31 PM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Does that include Bailey?
There's always exceptions.

Old
12-11-2012, 03:11 PM
Hipster Doofus

Natural centers converted to wing? Why I never!

Stanley cup champ pens surely never did such a silly move.

Old
12-11-2012, 03:22 PM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
Natural centers converted to wing? Why I never!

Stanley cup champ pens surely never did such a silly move.
Even a person of average intelligence should be equipped with the ability to deduce the difference between normal circumstance and PP/in game scenarios where lines are altered on a temporary basis.

Old
12-11-2012, 03:47 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

I really hope we get a top-4 pick.

Old
12-11-2012, 04:22 PM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Even a person of average intelligence should be equipped with the ability to deduce the difference between normal circumstance and PP/in game scenarios where lines are altered on a temporary basis.
Staal, kennedy, talbot, malkin, crosby. Did they have 5 lines?

Old
12-11-2012, 05:28 PM
Konk

Quote:
Staal, kennedy, talbot, malkin, crosby. Did they have 5 lines?
Who do you think moved to wing, the lesser talented players or the best players?

I'll give you a hint, it wasn't Crosby, Malkin, or Staal.

Old
12-11-2012, 05:37 PM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Who do you think moved to wing, the lesser talented players or the best players?

I'll give you a hint, it wasn't Crosby, Malkin, or Staal.
Nielsen is locked for four more years and frankly its not unreasonable to say Brock moves to LW (where he played his soph year) or Strome becomes a righty shot on the Tavares line with Nelson and Nielsen down the middle.

Old
12-11-2012, 06:10 PM
Konk

Quote:
Nielsen is locked for four more years and frankly its not unreasonable to say Brock moves to LW (where he played his soph year) or Strome becomes a righty shot on the Tavares line with Nelson and Nielsen down the middle.
I would say Brock is probably more likely than Strome, considering Strome will be in a scoring role and the former two will be in checking roles. Also remember Nielsen has played RW quite a bit in his career as well.

Either way, I don't see Nelson making the team next year and by the time he comes into his own the Islanders can either shift one of him, Nielsen, Cizikas, or Sundstrom or start making moves.

At the end of the day I guarantee the best players will remain at center and my money is on Strome and Nelson of the aforementioned.

Old
12-22-2012, 12:18 PM
seafoam
#hewenttoharvard

vCash: 50
I just want to know what third of the first round well be drafting in, I hope we are able to get a second round pick as well. With our depth we may have so spare parts and it wouldn't be a bad idea to try and use them to cash in on a pick and use it in an area of need at the draft.

Usually by December we know

Old
12-26-2012, 08:15 AM
Wanderson

Give us Elias Lindholm!

Old
01-05-2013, 05:32 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
I just want to know what third of the first round well be drafting in, I hope we are able to get a second round pick as well. With our depth we may have so spare parts and it wouldn't be a bad idea to try and use them to cash in on a pick and use it in an area of need at the draft.

Usually by December we know
Anyone know what picks we have this year? I thought we had an extra 3rd or 5th for some reason.

Old
01-05-2013, 06:54 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Anyone know what picks we have this year? I thought we had an extra 3rd or 5th for some reason.
We have our 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th, and Montreal's 4th.

Old
01-16-2013, 05:42 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

For those interested, the CHL Top Prospects game is on the NHLN tonight at 7:00 pm.

I'll be taping it because of the Blue-White Scrimmage tonight, but I'm sure many will be interested to get another look at Seth Jones, Nathan MacKinnon, etc.

Old
01-16-2013, 07:31 PM
steveat

If Murray were in this draft....would he be chosen ahead of Seth?

Old
01-16-2013, 08:31 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
If Murray were in this draft....would he be chosen ahead of Seth?
No offense to Murray, but Seth Jones is a generational talent, Murray was the best Dman in a weak draft, at least for forwards, lots of good D-men drafted, but none nearly have the overall talent Jones has.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:41 PM
StrongIslanders90

After seeing Reinhart play tonight, if we end up with Jones then its game over!!!

That pairing down the line would be the closest thing to Suter-Weber or better

Old
01-17-2013, 04:52 AM
steveat

Who is Seth compared with? Is he like a Pronger type player? Maybe a Gainey or a Rod Langway? This is my thing with it. The kid filled out big..like he fits his frame. Is he just playing good because he basically outclasses people with decent talent a full man-size and will this equate to playing against guys his own size at the NHL level?

Look at Reinhart...He was 6'4 199...just checked stats and he is apparently 207 now...still a bit on the thin side for his frame. He should be around 225-235 for that size.

Is Seth generational? I thought McDavid was generational or is there a difference between "generational" and "phenom"

Old
01-17-2013, 11:24 AM
seafoam
#hewenttoharvard

Seth Jones has all the tools and potential to be the best defenseman in the league. He's been very impressive for his age, skates like the wind, and knows exactly where to be in all zones. He will go first overall. We to need suck accordingly

Old
01-17-2013, 12:23 PM
steveat

How would you react if the Oilers won a 4th lottery in a row?

Would you cry bloody murder? I know I would 8-)

Old
01-17-2013, 01:14 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Seth Jones has all the tools and potential to be the best defenseman in the league. He's been very impressive for his age, skates like the wind, and knows exactly where to be in all zones. He will go first overall. We to need suck accordingly
lol, like the last sentence. I rather make the playoffs, BUT, if we don't, I'd be almost as happy landing Seth Jones on the Islander's as I was getting Tavares. Watching the Prospect's game last night, Nathan Mackinnon made an incredible rush, with speed, power, and great moves, fakes out one d-man, then gets knocked down by the other d-man. Who happened to be, Seth Jones ! Jones dominated at the WJHC as a 17 year old, when usually 18 or 19 year olds dominate that tournament.

I will say, on just that rush alone by Mackinnon, I wouldn't be crushed if we wind up with the #2 pick and get Mackinnon. Also saw a play along the boards where Mackinnon held his own against Jones. I can see the comparisons with Crosby, strength, speed, moves, hands, though he's obviously not as skilled.

Closed Thread