HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goalies waived

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-17-2013, 11:58 AM
  #26
n00bxQb
Registered User
 
n00bxQb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Good point, but if they are both claimed?

Also choosing a backup based on a process of who doesn't get picked up on waiver is a ****ing stupid idea.

So we are going to go with whichever backup is deemed worse by the NHL as a collective? How is that a logical plan lol.
Feaster Logic

n00bxQb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:59 AM
  #27
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,952
vCash: 67
Our first round pick in Irving, who by all measures has shown remarkable talent on the club last year and carried the Heat the year before, is given up on?

And Karlsson had a bad year, but apparently looked fantastic in camp.


Feaster is starting to lose my confidence

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:01 PM
  #28
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,944
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Our first round pick in Irving, who by all measures has shown remarkable talent on the club last year and carried the Heat the year before, is given up on?

And Karlsson had a bad year, but apparently looked fantastic in camp.


Feaster is starting to lose my confidence
I am feeling as though Irving will get claimed for sure...Karlsson too maybe. Hell a division rival could try and bend us over by claiming both

I hope there is more to this plan than it appears on the surface.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:04 PM
  #29
n00bxQb
Registered User
 
n00bxQb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
I am feeling as though Irving will get claimed for sure...Karlsson too maybe. Hell a division rival could try and bend us over by claiming both

I hope there is more to this plan than it appears on the surface.
Only division rival that MIGHT do that would be Edmonton (unless Gillis trades Luongo in the next 24 hours), but even then, I can't see them ditching Khabibulin since he's the only Russian mentor they have for Yakupov.

n00bxQb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:04 PM
  #30
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker
 
Hand of Gaudreau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,616
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Our first round pick in Irving, who by all measures has shown remarkable talent on the club last year and carried the Heat the year before, is given up on?

And Karlsson had a bad year, but apparently looked fantastic in camp.


Feaster is starting to lose my confidence
I just asked B Mack and he said its just so that the Flames can send the one that loses the battle down to the minors after camp. No other reason than that.

Hand of Gaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:06 PM
  #31
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,944
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by IggyTheKid View Post
I just asked B Mack and he said its just so that the Flames can send the one that loses the battle down to the minors after camp. No other reason than that.
In his opinion, which while is a logical theory, doesn't remove that fact that one or both can now be claimed. Which makes this a stupid move if thats all there is to this.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:08 PM
  #32
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner
 
HighLifeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,934
vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by IggyTheKid View Post
I just asked B Mack and he said its just so that the Flames can send the one that loses the battle down to the minors after camp. No other reason than that.
Yep. I don't see the problem. It is becoming increasingly evident that neither player is in the long term plans of this organization moving forward.

If one get's claimed, well, that's the cost of not having a truly viable option to play behind Kipper. I would be upset to see Irving get claimed, but happy to see him get an opportunity elsewhere.

In my opinion they both clear.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:09 PM
  #33
Signature
Robin Williams RIP
 
Signature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 4,707
vCash: 50
Well, for all of the instant "let's hate on Feaster" crew that has already begun to pop up, consider this:
I'm quite certain part of the decision to waive Irving could be because of his RFA-conditioned contract at the end of this season.

I believe he becomes a UFA if his pro club does not play him in some 20+ odd games. I'm not sure if that number sees a reduction in the requirement due to the shortened season, but it's as good a reason as any. Trading a player with that kind of conditions under his contract this season as well seems a pretty far-fetched idea as well, since a team could just pick him up for nothing at the end of the season as long as the contract was good enough.

It seems like a lose-lose situation due to the lockout. Karlsson is nothing special. Irving could be, but he hasn't shown confidence in his play, and there's probably no way to fill his contract requirements in order to keep him around as a qualified RFA.

So again, I think this points to signs of Karri Ramo, who by the way, is a much more seasoned and arguably as talented backup option.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:10 PM
  #34
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker
 
Hand of Gaudreau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,616
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
In his opinion, which while is a logical theory, doesn't remove that fact that one or both can now be claimed. Which makes this a stupid move if thats all there is to this.
Feaster is a fairly smart guy. I don't think he would do this if he didn't give it it's due diligence. That being said, maybe he doesn't care if they get picked up because they are no longer in his future plans. Karri Ramo, is in his opinion #2 on our goalie depth chart, and Irving from what I know of him personally, is upset with the Flames as an organization, I have no source to quote, my boss is just a family friend of his. So, maybe they are just saying if he clears he clears, if he doesn't he doesn't. He may no longer be in any future plans for the Flames, which I whole-heartedly disagree with because I think he has a very high ceiling, but maybe that's why I'm not a GM.

Hand of Gaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:13 PM
  #35
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,944
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autograph View Post
Well, for all of the instant "let's hate on Feaster" crew that has already begun to pop up, consider this:
I'm quite certain part of the decision to waive Irving could be because of his RFA-conditioned contract at the end of this season.

I believe he becomes a UFA if his pro club does not play him in some 20+ odd games. I'm not sure if that number sees a reduction in the requirement due to the shortened season, but it's as good a reason as any. Trading a player with that kind of conditions under his contract this season as well seems a pretty far-fetched idea as well, since a team could just pick him up for nothing at the end of the season as long as the contract was good enough.

It seems like a lose-lose situation due to the lockout. Karlsson is nothing special. Irving could be, but he hasn't shown confidence in his play, and there's probably no way to fill his contract requirements in order to keep him around as a qualified RFA.

So again, I think this points to signs of Karri Ramo, who by the way, is a much more seasoned and arguably as talented backup option.
Not trying to hate on Feaster, just not seeing the logic in this unless it involves Ramo somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IggyTheKid View Post
Feaster is a fairly smart guy. I don't think he would do this if he didn't give it it's due diligence. That being said, maybe he doesn't care if they get picked up because they are no longer in his future plans. Karri Ramo, is in his opinion #2 on our goalie depth chart, and Irving from what I know of him personally, is upset with the Flames as an organization, I have no source to quote, my boss is just a family friend of his. So, maybe they are just saying if he clears he clears, if he doesn't he doesn't. He may no longer be in any future plans for the Flames, which I whole-heartedly disagree with because I think he has a very high ceiling, but maybe that's why I'm not a GM.
Thats a good point, maybe he doesn't care if they are claimed. If so then that indicates again that, Ramo is involved.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:13 PM
  #36
Cypher
#GenieArmy
 
Cypher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,549
vCash: 140
Clearly Kipper is going to play all 48 games and not get injured, thus management has decided to go with 14 forwards and 8 d-man

Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:14 PM
  #37
berto14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Yep. I don't see the problem. It is becoming increasingly evident that neither player is in the long term plans of this organization moving forward.

If one get's claimed, well, that's the cost of not having a truly viable option to play behind Kipper. I would be upset to see Irving get claimed, but happy to see him get an opportunity elsewhere.

In my opinion they both clear.
I think it's also becoming evident that perhaps Irving isn't as good as we'd thought he was. Although he looked good during his call-up last year, he lost the staring job on the Heat when he returned and hasn't played well enough to steal it back yet. He's only played 6 games this year and his numbers are far from impressive in that time. I think we can all agree that Karlsson is no hell and if Irving isn't the clearly better goalie, what does that tell us?

berto14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:17 PM
  #38
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,944
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by berto14 View Post
I think it's also becoming evident that perhaps Irving isn't as good as we'd thought he was. Although he looked good during his call-up last year, he lost the staring job on the Heat when he returned and hasn't played well enough to steal it back yet. He's only played 6 games this year and his numbers are far from impressive in that time. I think we can all agree that Karlsson is no hell and if Irving isn't the clearly better goalie, what does that tell us?
That I need to go get my Kari Ramo jersey stitched up?

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:26 PM
  #39
Devilspuppet666
Registered User
 
Devilspuppet666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,546
vCash: 250
the goalies i think feaster has plans for are Brossiot, Gillies, and maybe oritio (due to the strong season he's having)

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:29 PM
  #40
Signature
Robin Williams RIP
 
Signature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 4,707
vCash: 50
It could be the wrong path I'm leading into, but I for one would be very excited to see Ramo signed in a Flames jersey, with his fellow Finn in Kiprusoff mentoring him.

Ramo is 26. Sounds like a good age for a goaltender who has been a premier keeper in the KHL to come over. Very good mature age, played with men in pros.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:32 PM
  #41
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,944
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autograph View Post
It could be the wrong path I'm leading into, but I for one would be very excited to see Ramo signed in a Flames jersey, with his fellow Finn in Kiprusoff mentoring him.

Ramo is 26. Sounds like a good age for a goaltender who has been a premier keeper in the KHL to come over. Very good mature age, played with men in pros.
I really like Ramo myself, watched a few of his games after we traded for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilspuppet666 View Post
the goalies i think feaster has plans for are Brossiot, Gillies, and maybe oritio (due to the strong season he's having)
If thats the plan, we wont win any games with a backup goalie this year. None of those guys are ready at all.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:32 PM
  #42
Signature
Robin Williams RIP
 
Signature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 4,707
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilspuppet666 View Post
the goalies i think feaster has plans for are Brossiot, Gillies, and maybe oritio (due to the strong season he's having)
That's probably true, but they're nowhere near NHL-calibre, even as a backup yet.

IMO the skill levels of those kids are probably like this:
Gillies
Brossoit (probably quite close, could be interchangeable with Gillies, except Gillies wasn't cut from Team USA so I'm giving a slight nod... probably doesn't mean anything)
Ortio (From all reports, sound technically, decent skill, but wavering confidence is an issue)

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:35 PM
  #43
FlamingTelepath
Registered User
 
FlamingTelepath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 404
vCash: 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Not trying to hate on Feaster, just not seeing the logic in this unless it involves Ramo somehow.
I think a signing of Danny Taylor is the safer bet. The Flames brass have watched him outplay Irving all season long in Abbotsford and he's not even that much older. Next year it's Rämö and Taylor fighting for the backup spot with Brossoit and Brust in Abbotsford.

In all honesty, I wouldn't be terribly upset if both of these guys got claimed. Of course it would be optimal to get some picks for them but that's unlikely given their recent showings and expiring contracts. Neither one really seems to have a place in the Flames' long term plans.

FlamingTelepath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:46 PM
  #44
Calculon
unholy acting talent
 
Calculon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,669
vCash: 50
What the . . ? Looks like Feaster's lost his mind.

Quote:
@TSNBobMcKenzie: Karlsson/Irving battling for backup job in CGY. Could go either way so CGY puts both on waivers so either can be demoted if they clear.
Quote:
@TSNBobMcKenzie: I suspect one of CGY's well-travelled but resilient AHL netminders - Barry Brust or Danny Taylor - may get an NHL contract at some point.
Oh, and Byron was waived as well. Good to see that 2nd round pick Feaster traded being put to good use.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:49 PM
  #45
Fleury14
Kipper
 
Fleury14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 4,487
vCash: 500
That's ridiculously indecisive... this doesn't give me much faith on how the season will go. Feaster, it's your job to make these kind of decisions.

BTW Ramo is still under contract in the KHL, so it's not like he's suddenly coming over. He's not a possibility until next season.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:49 PM
  #46
Goodlad
Registered User
 
Goodlad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 570
vCash: 729
I think that even if both players were picked up on waivers (which is highly unlikely) neither has shown any indication they would be a much better option than signing either Taylor or Brust to an NHL contract. I doubt Irving is in Calgary's long term plans at this point, even if they wanted him to be. I expect we'll see him sign with another club or bolt for Europe this off season.

Goodlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:08 PM
  #47
berto14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
Oh, and Byron was waived as well. Good to see that 2nd round pick Feaster traded being put to good use.
What would you like Feaster to do exactly? All three of these guys were invited to camp and given a shot to make the team and clearly none of them showed enough that they belonged. Rules say you have to waive him before you can send him back to minors. Honestly, what other options do we have? Not invite prospects to camp unless they're guaranteed to make the team? Keep guys on the team that aren't good enough just so they don't get claimed?

berto14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:12 PM
  #48
oilers4life5
Registered User
 
oilers4life5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: City of Champions
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,343
vCash: 500
Maybe NJ would claim Irving. They have two old Goalies. Could use some youth.

oilers4life5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:16 PM
  #49
Sean Monahan
Moewny
 
Sean Monahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cowtown
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,222
vCash: 50
more laughing material for HF

what highlife said though

Sean Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:31 PM
  #50
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Our first round pick in Irving, who by all measures has shown remarkable talent on the club last year and carried the Heat the year before, is given up on?

And Karlsson had a bad year, but apparently looked fantastic in camp.


Feaster is starting to lose my confidence
I don't understand it yet but if losing a potential backup is what loses your confidence you didn't have alot to start with.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.