HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Penguins Training Camp Thread

Old
01-17-2013, 12:09 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Come on now, guys. Makes the most sense. If it doesn't work out - bennett comes up. This is a no-brainer.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:10 PM
MurphyDump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
So I guess management has decided to finally give Tangradi his shot
Well he's definitely earned it, unlike Bennett.

MurphyDump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:10 PM
MurphyDump

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Come on now, guys. Makes the most sense. If it doesn't work out - bennett comes up. This is a no-brainer.
I understand that and agree, it's just frustrating to see Tangradi over and over when he hasn't done a damn thing to earn it.

MurphyDump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:12 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyDump View Post
Well he's definitely earned it, unlike Bennett.
Yeah, I'm nowhere close to buying into Tangradi, but he's earned his time over a spindly, often injured college player who's spent a couple of months in the AHL.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:12 PM
deakka

Tangradi is "OMGZ big body in front of the net".
I guess the pens could sign me then since im as big as Tangradi...

deakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:13 PM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 193
Quote:
I understand that and agree, it's just frustrating to see Tangradi over and over when he hasn't done a damn thing to earn it.
He has never been given a chance. He paid his dues and has done everything asked of him and now he's earned a real shot.

No way Bennett gets a shot over Tangradi and he doesn't deserve it. He'll probably be on the team next year but you don't gamble with a younger kid with way less experience because of a good camp or some skills, especially in a short season. The AHL is where he needs to be.

Right move at the right time. Let's just hope Tangradi can produce.

alcanalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
True but at the same time he was never given that top 6 role, now he will and if he doesn't take advantage management will not be as patient IMO

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
deakka

What the hell does "earn" mean anyway? You play the best player, not the one that has "earned" it from being in the AHL a couple of years

Old
01-17-2013, 12:14 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Where's this anger towards Tangradi coming from? It's not like he's been horrible in camp... Seems a bit overboard.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:14 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
What the hell does "earn" mean anyway? You play the best player, not the one that has "earned" it from being in the AHL a couple of years
Bennett hasn't even been in the AHL a year, why don't we let this play out?

Old
01-17-2013, 12:15 PM
deakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Where's this anger towards Tangradi coming from? It's not like he's been horrible in camp... Seems a bit overboard.
Its nothing against him. Just think Bennett should have had a spot in the team instead of Tangradi.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:18 PM
WVP

Bennett has 8 months until next camp. Get a little bigger, maybe a little faster and he won't play another shift in the AHL.

By that time we should know what we have in Tangradi as well. Don't want to talk about next season but Cooke and Dupuis are UFA's after this year. Tangradi could possibly slide onto the third line moving forward at that point.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:18 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
What are you talking about? Earn means you are the best player for that position. Bennett may have more pure skill and can deke in a scrimmage game, but he doesn't have enough pro experience yet. They are trying to develop him to be a fixture in the top 6 for years to come. None of us expected him to be a Penguin this season. He has produced well in the AHL, but there is plenty to learn down there. He is still learning the Pen's system, what it means to be a pro, etc.

Tangradi has been in the Pen's system and has done everything he can at the AHL level. It's time to really see what he can do in the NHL. They were also looking for a specific role on that line with Geno and Neal. Tangradi's skillset fits that role. Let's see how it plays out. Bennett will get his chances soon enough.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:19 PM
Stad
@Malkin2Horny

I wanted Bennett over Tangradi as well. Oh well.

Stad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:19 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Its nothing against him. Just think Bennett should have had a spot in the team instead of Tangradi.
Why not both? I like Kunie and Bennett with Sid and Neal/Tangradi with Geno, move Dupuis down, trade Kennedy or something.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:22 PM
deakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
What are you talking about? Earn means you are the best player for that position. Bennett may have more pure skill and can deke in a scrimmage game, but he doesn't have enough pro experience yet. They are trying to develop him to be a fixture in the top 6 for years to come. None of us expected him to be a Penguin this season. He has produced well in the AHL, but there is plenty to learn down there. He is still learning the Pen's system, what it means to be a pro, etc.

Tangradi has been in the Pen's system and has done everything he can at the AHL level. It's to really see what he can do in the NHL. They were also looking for a specific role on that line with Geno and Neal. Tangradi's skillset fits that role. Let's see how it plays out. Bennett will get his chances soon enough.
Yeah he really has done everything ther ein in the AHl, including a 17 games scoreless streak this season.....

I think you go by the best player, period. I have no doubt Bennett would outproduce Tangradi by a wide margin if they both were on the team.

Tangradi are a big body, nothing more.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:22 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
Bennett has 8 months until next camp. Get a little bigger, maybe a little faster and he won't play another shift in the AHL.

By that time we should know what we have in Tangradi as well. Don't want to talk about next season but Cooke and Dupuis are UFA's after this year. Tangradi could possibly slide onto the third line moving forward at that point.
This is the way I see it as well, really not worth rushing in this shortened season. Let him keep developing and see you in September

Old
01-17-2013, 12:23 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Why not both? I like Kunie and Bennett with Sid and Neal/Tangradi with Geno, move Dupuis down, trade Kennedy or something.
Stop with the trading TK thing (not against you just in general). He's a great third line player and Bennett is a prospect that has looked good in 30 AHL games. Now is not the time to be trading away proven NHL vets that can produce offensively for unproven prospects.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:24 PM
regard

Quote:
I like this as well but my thoughts are more for next season, maybe late in the season if theres a winger injury. Even if it pushes TK or Cooke to the fourth line for teh playoffs that would just further improve the depth.

regard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WVP

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/...#axzz2I4t5hcGZ

Quote:
Bennett, 21, was selected in Round 1 (20th overall) a year later.

His return to the AHL could signal that Eric Tangradi, 23, will get the opportunity to play on a line with center Evgeni Malkin and right winger James Neal.

Tangradi has been viewed as the franchise‘s best power-forward prospect since he was acquired from Anaheim along with left winger Chris Kunitz in the trade of defenseman Ryan Whitney in February 2009. Assistant to the general manager Tom Fitzgerald heralded Tangradi‘s approach while he played in the AHL during the 119-day NHL lockout.

“People who doubt him are going to be surprised to see a more consistent player, a guy who understands what we want from him in terms of being a physical presence and where to go on the ice,” Fitzgerald said.

The Penguins remain high on Bennett, but management believes he needs to play in a top-six forward role and, also, that he needs more professional experience.
Pretty simple.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Dupuis just works so well with Sid and Koon, DB doesn't want to break that up I guess and there is no point having Bennett play bottom 6

And Kennedy helps us balance that 3rd line big time

Old
01-17-2013, 12:25 PM
jdpitt05

I think Bennett needs to get a little stronger. This year in the AHL should help him improve his game at a professional level as well his strength.

jdpitt05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PensFan6687

Sorry if this was said, but will Despres start the season with the Pens? Nevermind, had my question answered.

Last edited by PensFan6687: 01-17-2013 at 12:30 PM.
PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Shady Machine

Quote:
Yeah he really has done everything ther ein in the AHl, including a 17 games scoreless streak this season.....

I think you go by the best player, period. I have no doubt Bennett would outproduce Tangradi by a wide margin if they both were on the team.

Tangradi are a big body, nothing more.
You know very little about prospect development based on these thoughts. The two players aren't even remotely the same type of player so comparing them is silly. The Malkin line doesn't really NEED a Bennett. They could use a big body that forechecks, crashes the net, and digs pucks out to Geno and Neal. That is Tangradi's role and if he plays to his potential, he fits that line perfectly. I personally see Bennett as more of a need on the Sid line.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:26 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

I think Bennett is going to run out of gas at some point this season. Better to let that happen down in the AHL, if we really need him we can always recall him. Pretty simple. I think he'll make his mark on the team next season.

Hans Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote