HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

2012-13 Ongoing Waivers Thread (Chris Bourque)

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2013, 12:30 PM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

vCash: 500
Kinda hoping leafs claim Irving

Old
01-17-2013, 12:31 PM
JoeCool16

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
Geez, if I was the Oilers, now would be a good time to be proactive on the whole Khabbi issue and pick up one of those Flames' goaltenders. I like both those guys, especially Karlsson, just because I've seen him more.
Khabbi is good to keep around for the sole purpose of having another Russian on the team with Yakupov. He already was stepping into a mentoring role (or at least chauffeuring) and his cap hit doesn't start creating problems until next year. There'll always be an Irving or Karlsson in the system or available to sign from Europe or a college, they don't need to act now.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:31 PM
Ashasx

I hope one of them (if not both) are claimed. Would force the claiming team to keep a sub-NHL level goaltender on their roster.

They are not good goalies.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:35 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I hope one of them (if not both) are claimed. Would force the claiming team to keep a sub-NHL level goaltender on their roster.

They are not good goalies.
They were both adequate as backups last year. Nothing great, not bad though either.

Old
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs87 View Post
Kinda hoping leafs claim Irving
Honestly, who doesn't want to see the Isles claim one?

Old
n00bxQb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaheims View Post
3 PM EST tomorrow.
They have to place players on waivers by 3 PM EST today so they can submit their 23-man roster tomorrow.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:36 PM
Ashasx

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
They were both adequate as backups last year. Nothing great, not bad though either.
Karlsson was not an adequate backup last year.

The last adequate backup this team had was Cujo. We need a veteran backup.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:51 PM
Pacem

I don't see the risk or gamble by doing this.

How many teams have the roster spot to actually put in a claim for either goalie and still be roster compliant by the time the claim is official? You have to be roster size compliant by tomorrow, so a team with a worse back up (does that even exist) can't just claim Irving and then put their back up on waivers. They'd be over the roster size.

Smart move. Both back ups suck. Whatever back up they chose, if he ***** the bed (likely) they can just recall the other crappy back up to come in and play.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:51 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Have I missed any discussion of Brian Strait? Teams looking for D, is he not a good candidate to take?

Old
01-17-2013, 12:53 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Have I missed any discussion of Brian Strait? Teams looking for D, is he not a good candidate to take?
he doesnt have that much nhl experience. That might make some teams a bit wary right now.

01-17-2013, 12:54 PM
AirheadPete

damn, surprised the flames are subjecting irving to waivers. wish the devils had a spot with the big club to give id love to see them pick up irving. i think he still has a bright future if brought into the right situation and groomed in.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:59 PM
Ashasx

Irving is being groomed in, but he can't even cut it at the AHL level. Losing either pkayer is not even a small loss.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:00 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirheadPete View Post
damn, surprised the flames are subjecting irving to waivers. wish the devils had a spot with the big club to give id love to see them pick up irving. i think he still has a bright future if brought into the right situation and groomed in.
I agree. For whatever reason Irving has not been given a real chance here in Calgary and needs a second chance in a big way. And once he's on his way the Flames really need to rethink their approach to player development.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:00 PM
ByeBye

Quote:
Shhhhh.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:02 PM
MonsterSurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
he doesnt have that much nhl experience. That might make some teams a bit wary right now.
He'd probably be in Pittsburgh if we didn't have 382049238492384 d-men. I'll be surprised if he isn't claimed.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:10 PM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Karlsson was not an adequate backup last year.

The last adequate backup this team had was Cujo. We need a veteran backup.
Actually Irving was a decent backup. He hasn't done well in the AHL though.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:12 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Not very reliable, everyone should definitely pass on him

Can't believe he was placed on waivers instead of Lovejoy, Strait was really good for us last season

Old
01-17-2013, 01:12 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaheims View Post
3 PM EST tomorrow.

NO.....

they need to be at the 23 man roster by 3pm ET Friday but the players on waivers need to sit there for 24 hrs to clear which basically means the waiver deadline is 3pm ET today.

Some teams in looking at other teams roster may contemplate waive more than they necessary to to get them through and then be open to possibly claim some other teams waived players.

So far the Islanders have claimed a few players on waivers this past week.

The rules could have changed....but if I recall correctly they have to clear going down to the AHL but not when coming up to the NHL.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:14 PM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
In terms of candidates yes.

Keep in mind though the only other goalie actually signed to a deal at the moment is Ortio.

Not to say we cant sign Brust or Ramo. Just that leaves us with very short notice should both of them be claimed.
Couldn't they also sign Taylor? They do have a lot of options.

I guess this means the Flames see Ramo/Ortio/Brossoit/Gillies as more viable long-term options than Irving.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:22 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
If Strait slips through waivers it will only because of how many players are going to be available as well.

It's infuriating to see Lovejoy kept over Strait. Lovejoy brings nothing to this team and was a liability more often than not last year...he's 8th on the depth chart so it's not a huge deal, but Strait is at least defensively sound...and he can grow a beard with the best of them.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
01-17-2013, 01:27 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike77 View Post
Couldn't they also sign Taylor? They do have a lot of options.

I guess this means the Flames see Ramo/Ortio/Brossoit/Gillies as more viable long-term options than Irving.
None of the goalies you mentioned will be ready for 2013, however. One would think we would have heard by now if any of them were making the jump from their current situations.

So the question remains - Who's going to be number two in Calgary and how is that choice going to be made? Are Feaster and Hartley letting the rest of the league decide? Doesn't seem like strong management to me. You'd think they'd be able to make a decision and go from there.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:32 PM
KrisBeKreame

@StapeNewsday
Oh, and for those who asked: #Isles have no interest in Tim Connolly.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:37 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
If I had to guess the Flames are siging Brust and need to make room on the roster it is strange it went this way tho as both Karlsson and Irving have looked good enough to be backups in camp.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:43 PM
WhereIsIt
#gift

I think the Flames are confident that nobody will pick either of these guys up. Name me a team that is so bad that Karlsson or Irving would be an upgrade.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:46 PM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
None of the goalies you mentioned will be ready for 2013, however. One would think we would have heard by now if any of them were making the jump from their current situations.

So the question remains - Who's going to be number two in Calgary and how is that choice going to be made? Are Feaster and Hartley letting the rest of the league decide? Doesn't seem like strong management to me. You'd think they'd be able to make a decision and go from there.
Brust or Taylor, who have been playing regularly in the AHL.

Brust has a .944 save percentage through 15 AHL games. I know it's the AHL, but still - likely good enough for a backup position.

Closed Thread