HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Devils Sign Travis Zajac 8 years/5.75 per

Old
01-17-2013, 09:05 AM
devilsblood

vCash: 500
How do u get over the pain of losing Zach(seems like forever ago already) and then the lockout?

Sign the next big guy up for FA to a long termer. So Deft.

Anyone feel this is tied to the recent VBK refi?

devilsblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:15 AM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsblood View Post
How do u get over the pain of losing Zach(seems like forever ago already) and then the lockout?

Sign the next big guy up for FA to a long termer. So Deft.

Anyone feel this is tied to the recent VBK refi?
Tied to it? Probably not... everyone even remotely close to the situation as said time and time again that the money stuff never affect hockey ops.

But I'm sure it didn't hurt either.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:24 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
I peeked my head back into the Main forum thread and see its more of the same nonsense.

01-17-2013, 09:33 AM
Nick0930

Most of the comments on TSN.ca are just as bad as the main board.

Nick0930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:34 AM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
Hey guys, let`s just wait until Ryan, JVR, Carlson, Palmieri and Gaudreau hit UFA. They will all want to come to NJ. We`ll get the last laugh!

All are Rangers/Flyes fans

Basement Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:43 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick0930 View Post
Most of the comments on TSN.ca are just as bad as the main board.
Outside of a radio station here in Montreal, mostly because Pat Burns had his own segment and Mario Tremblay/Jacques Lemaire were regulars as well, I've never witnessed a media outlet praise our team or give us the actual respect we rightfully deserve.

We'll forever be the team that everyone sees sinking and yet, we're always swimming with our head above water.

**** the press !!!

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:53 AM
Officer Rod Farva
Do You Even Lift Bro

That jersey I got two years ago just looks like a great investment

Officer Rod Farva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:55 AM
GameSeven
ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
Outside of a radio station here in Montreal, mostly because Pat Burns had his own segment and Mario Tremblay/Jacques Lemaire were regulars as well, I've never witnessed a media outlet praise our team or give us the actual respect we rightfully deserve.

We'll forever be the team that everyone sees sinking and yet, we're always swimming with our head above water.

**** the press !!!
Since Lou has taken control of the team in 1987, the Devils have more SCF appearances than every team in the league, save for Detroit who has one more at 6.

I have supreme confidence in the team's management and their ability to keep the team competitive.

GameSeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:54 AM
apice3*

I don't see Clarkson leaving at all. Undrafted free agents are usually the most loyal players in the league. I also expect Elias to stay. He could have left in his prime, but didn't. I'm sure he wants to retire here.

With Elias brings the return of Zidlicky, I imagine.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:58 AM
CerebralGenesis

Do we get Havlat too?

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:59 AM
ZadorovNJD*
go away fatso

Rangers fans that think this is an awful contract will be in for a rude awakening when Callahan gets extended.

ZadorovNJD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:59 AM
devilsblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
I don't see Clarkson leaving at all. Undrafted free agents are usually the most loyal players in the league. I also expect Elias to stay. He could have left in his prime, but didn't. I'm sure he wants to retire here.

With Elias brings the return of Zidlicky, I imagine.
Elias is a lock imo. But Clarkson? Have to believe $$$ will be an issue.

Old
01-17-2013, 11:04 AM
devilsblood

Honestly, the overall deal is bigger then one would expect for Zajac. But as far as pro sports go, it's not a bad contract. And Zajac's overall game will allow him to be successful towards the end of the contract.

And Zajac brings intrinsic value, even more so in light of Parise bolting.

Old
01-17-2013, 11:06 AM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
Rangers fans that think this is an awful contract will be in for a rude awakening when Callahan gets extended.
It's funny because Zajac is better than Callahan both offensively and defensively (especially at ES) and plays a more important position. He also stays healthy, aside from a freak injury last year. Callahan gets banged up every year. When Callahan signs a 6.5M deal, it'll be a steal. Go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsblood View Post
Elias is a lock imo. But Clarkson? Have to believe $$$ will be an issue.
Personally I think Clarkson is more of a lock, just based on their attitudes since Kovy joined the team. Clarkson never changed, but Elias has had some hiccups along the way, most recently the returning from KHL thing. I want, and expect both players to be re-signed, though.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:07 AM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

Both players will return, IMO

onefatsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:13 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
The crazy part about this is that of all the fanbases here on HF, theirs has been the most reasonable on their take on Zajac's contract.

Ronnie Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:16 AM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Bass View Post
The crazy part about this is that of all the fanbases here on HF, theirs has been the most reasonable on their take on Zajac's contract.
They do see him on a more consistent basis than the rest of the league, but that entire thread revolves pretty much around purely his stats

All of a sudden people have been paying attention to Zajac all along

Wingman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:19 AM
devilsblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post

Personally I think Clarkson is more of a lock, just based on their attitudes since Kovy joined the team. Clarkson never changed, but Elias has had some hiccups along the way, most recently the returning from KHL thing. I want, and expect both players to be re-signed, though.
I just think this will be Clarkson's one oppurtunity to cash in. Not sure if Dev's will be willing/able to match.

Elias? Life long Devil going else where at this stage in his career? Is a team really going to throw so much $$ at him that dev's won't match? At 37 yrs old? Like Marty, maybe he sticks his pinky toe into the water, but he never truly jumps into the FA waters.

Old
01-17-2013, 11:20 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
They do see him on a more consistent basis than the rest of the league, but that entire thread revolves pretty much around purely his stats

All of a sudden people have been paying attention to Zajac all along
I've said it before, Fantasy Sports has killed the average sports fan. Now its all numbers, no one really watches the game.

Ronnie Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:50 AM
Scott04

The thing I love most about this is that the guy clearly shows he wants to be a Devil and that's it. Yes, he was offered a lot of money to stay. But he could have waited until free agency, gotten a lot of money, and then stayed (be it because we offered the most or because he decided this is where he wanted to be). He didn't need to hear anything from other teams to decide this is where he wanted to be. He gave up the option to even see what was out there, or how much he could get, because he wanted to commit 8 more years here about 6 months before he had to make a decision. And that's just flat out awesome to hear from one of the key players on this team.

Scott04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:59 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
The thing I love most about this is that the guy clearly shows he wants to be a Devil and that's it. Yes, he was offered a lot of money to stay. But he could have waited until free agency, gotten a lot of money, and then stayed (be it because we offered the most or because he decided this is where he wanted to be). He didn't need to hear anything from other teams to decide this is where he wanted to be. He gave up the option to even see what was out there, or how much he could get, because he wanted to commit 8 more years here about 6 months before he had to make a decision. And that's just flat out awesome to hear from one of the key players on this team.
Or get a lot of money and leave.

From this day on, I think I`ll start to call you the "voice of the reason".

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:59 AM
devilsblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
No doubt, committing to a team for 8 years says something.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:18 PM
DerekDevils30

I echo the sentiments of some earlier in this thread that say we are built pretty well. Others see our lack of depth up front on the team and in the pipeline and assume this team is done for. What I love to see is that we now have 3 young centers to build around in Zajac, Henrique, and Josefson. Patty can also play center in a pinch and do it very well (minus faceoffs).

Add on top of that, a superstar winger in Kovy who will attract the best of the opposition night in and night out. He handled it last year and I see no reason why he won't be able to handle it again this year. He is in game shape and ready to go. What's scary for other teams is that Patty is the secondary guy....in a contract year. He had a dynamite year with Sykora and Zubrus as his wingers. Expect another good year from Patty.

I said in one of the main board threads to watch out for Josefson this year. He will have some opportunities to make an impact. He looked real good, at times, last year. If things pan out for him, he will be a top playmaker for this team in the not so distant future. Getting Henrique back eventually will also be a boost for this team. We can spread things out a bit more.

I am not worried, at all, about the defense. A good mix of veteran and youth for the Devils. Really hoping that Larsson can really break out this year. The D corps should be the most consistent aspect of the team this season. Should see a good mix of Marty and Moose, too. Both have aged like fine wine. Give Marty 30-35 games and life is good.

Have to give some props to Lou for locking up Shanahan. It ensure we'll have one of the best defensive forwards in the game up until the next lockout (please no). I think Kovy and Trav will have some real good years together. Now it's just a matter of filling out the second and third line. I think Lou may have a trick up his sleeve at some point this season for some added help up front.

DerekDevils30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:33 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

man, boomer on XM just tore the zajac contract to pieces maybe we're wrong, and the rest of the hockey world is right...but dammit, i love the signing.

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:35 PM
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.

This is precisely why I don't read the main board.

**** yeah, Zajac.

PacManNJD is offline   Reply With Quote