HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Dave Bolland next contract

Old
01-17-2013, 03:31 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

vCash: 500
Dave Bolland next contract

Dave Bolland is IMO the best #3 center in the NHL today he also has 1 season left after this one on his contract at which point he is a UFA what does he get from the hawks on a new deal? what would he get on the open market?

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:40 AM
MadhouseOnMadison
Man crush on Amonte

We're so thin down the middle that I'm sure we'll overpay (as usual) for him like we did last time when Dale didn't file the offers in time.

MadhouseOnMadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:44 AM
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry

vCash: 191
He's in a good spot. Good defensively and enough of offensive ability to get a team to overpay for him. I wouldn't be surprised to see him make $4+M/year

Freudian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:57 AM
TOGuy14

His fair value probably hovers around 4-4.25ish.

Probably the best 3rd line C in the game right now.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:23 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadhouseOnMadison View Post
We're so thin down the middle that I'm sure we'll overpay (as usual) for him like we did last time when Dale didn't file the offers in time.
Bolland wasn't part of that, he just over paid him along with Buff.

I would say Bolly gets 4.5mil or maybe 4 if he takes a discount.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:32 AM
Pheasant the peasant
Lupul Fan

Quote:
He is worth every penny.

Pheasant the peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:37 AM
DL44

vCash: 139
As Kevin Bieksa accurately put it, if it wasn't for the Sedins, no one would know who Bolland was.
I.e. overrated... Especially if he's garnering the title of best 3rd line center in the league by some.

I would predict a contract around his present value... Token raise to $3.5?

DL44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:48 AM
crazyhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL44 View Post
As Kevin Bieksa accurately put it, if it wasn't for the Sedins, no one would know who Bolland was.
I.e. overrated... Especially if he's garnering the title of best 3rd line center in the league by some.

Typical nuck fan ....

crazyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:13 AM
WarriorofTime

Quote:

Due to Bolland taking ownership of Henrik Sedin's jockstrap in the Playoffs you mean right?

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:35 AM
CarvinSigX
Meh

Depends on how much the Blues offer him...

I bet Chicago will lock him up for 5-6 years at $4.25 million.

CarvinSigX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:39 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:

Joe Thornton would like a word with you as well.

I do tend to agree that Bolland is slightly overrated, mainly because he's not good taking face-off's. But he's still a quality center, and I really think he's going to perform well as the 2nd line center this year.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:47 AM
zytz
lumberjack

The truly greatest thing about Bolland is that goes into beast mode in the playoffs. He will be valuable to any team expecting to be in the playoffs.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:49 AM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:

Yeah Bolland only shows up to play against the Sedins

Also, agree with the playoff statement above ^.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:55 AM
dave babych returns

Bolland deserves somewhere in the $4-5m range.

I wouldn't be at all shocked to see him get over $5m though.

Also, allow me to say this Canucks fan would love to have Dave Bolland centering our third line. I don't know if he's the best third line center in the game but he's certainly on a very short list for that distinction.

dave babych returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:03 PM
RomersWorld*

Quote:

I know you aren't supposed to judge a book by its cover, but jeez. Bieksa must be as smart as he looks.

I agree that Bolland takes advantage of the Sedin's brutal defensive play and extremely weak playing style, but he also looks great against anyone in the playoffs. Besides, a lot of players look great against the Sedins in the playoffs. Maybe that is what Bieksa is trying to say? I don't know. Every year in the playoffs Bolland plays at a high level no matter the opponent.

RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:04 PM
Hawkaholic

At least Bolland shuts down opposing players in the playoffs....what has Bieksa done?

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:09 PM
Sarava

Bolland has been my favorite Hawk for a few years now. He probably deserved to win the Conn Smythe more than Toews...IMO anyway.

He's supposedly getting his shot at #2 center now...if he flourishes, then we'll be looking in the range of 5 mil per probably.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:36 PM
DL44

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Bolland has been my favorite Hawk for a few years now. He probably deserved to win the Conn Smythe more than Toews...IMO anyway.

He's supposedly getting his shot at #2 center now...if he flourishes, then we'll be looking in the range of 5 mil per probably.
He didn't flourish at #2 at all last season while the Hawks were trying desperately to fill.

My take on his game, to offset my extremely bias appearing initial post:

- great defensively when the speed of the opposition isn't a factor.
- Too limited offensively to have the versatility to plug a #2 position as he displayed last yr. (maybe he's developed further and takes another step as opposed to WYSIWYG)

I just think referring to him as the best 3th line center in the game today is an exaggeration... and almost unfair for him going into this season with any type of elevated expectation if he's now being slotted on the 2nd line offensive role..

But hey.. he's just 26, and has teased the 20 g plateau a couple times... so there may be some untapped upside there still..

Needless to say, he has the best opportunity of his career to display it right now.
I just don't expect it.

DL44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:43 PM
Sarava

Quote:
He didn't flourish at #2 at all last season while the Hawks were trying desperately to fill.

- Too limited offensively to have the versatility to plug a #2 position as he displayed last yr. (maybe he's developed further and takes another step as opposed to WYSIWYG)

I just think referring to him as the best 3th line center in the game today is an exaggeration... and almost unfair for him going into this season with any type of elevated expectation if he's now being slotted on the 2nd line offensive role..

But hey.. he's just 26, and has teased the 20 g plateau a couple times... so there may be some untapped upside there still..

Needless to say, he has the best opportunity of his career to display it right now.
I just don't expect it.
He spent virtually the whole year last year as the #3 center. He did have a 21 or 22 game span on the 2nd line with Hossa in 2011. That was ended when Kubina's elbow concussed Bolland and knocked him out for 2 months. In the 22 games with Hossa I believe he had 21 points. They were on fire playing together. I really don't understand why Q didn't go back to that last year.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:45 PM
99 steps
to the top

Quote:
Bolland was signed before that happened, which itself didn't result in anyone getting overpaid. Sheesh.

99 steps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:46 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:

I just don't expect it.
Lawl, this post was awful, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Bolland was never tried as the 2nd line centre last year. They've been reluctant to use him in that role, not because he's not good offensively, but because he is such a good shutdown centre. They've been trying to leave him in that role while trying other players in the 2nd line centre spot (Kane, Kruger, etc).

When Bolland's played with talented players, he's produced. Between Ladd and Havlat he put up 48 points in 2008-09. In 2010-11, playing most of the season with the likes of Pisani and Bickell before getting some time with Hossa, he put up 37 points in 61 games (50-point pace), before getting concussed by an errant elbow by Pavel Kubina.. in both years, he was still playing on a checking line, going up against the best players from every team.. Oh, and in 2010-11, after being out for a couple months, he then came back in the playoffs, sparked a come back, shut down the Sedin's and scored 6 points in 4 games.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Bolland wouldn't test the market if we wanted to keep him (which we better). I know it gets said about a lot of guys but on our team, pretty much only Toews and Bolland are the guys I don't have concerns about leaving or putting a gun to our heads in negotiations.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
99 steps
to the top

Quote:

Tell that to Joe Thornton.

99 steps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:48 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Or Luongo.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:49 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Bolland wouldn't test the market if we wanted to keep him (which we better). I know it gets said about a lot of guys but on our team, pretty much only Toews and Bolland are the guys I don't have concerns about leaving or putting a gun to our heads in negotiations.
Yeah I agree there. Bolland spends more time in Chicago over the summer than any other player. The guy loves this town. As long as the Hawks want him...he will stay here. I'm not sure I ewould quite put Toews in that category. He bails town as soon as the season ends.