HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Salvador Named Next Devils' Captain

Old
01-17-2013, 12:35 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
Heard that argument before, it has never been proven wrong.

Captain should have a calm demeanor.
captain should be calm when he needs to be, and passionate when he needs to be (see: stevens, scott). the wild card is, nobody here knows what sal is really like in the room...except the people in the room. so, if they are ok with it, so am i

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:35 PM
tycobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
An intern? For what?

Historically, those have all been de facto, unwritten roles of the captain, at every level of the sport.
Any PR stuff. The staffs have gotten so big that each player can request anything they want.

tycobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:36 PM
NBC Hockey

If everyone on the team is happy with the decision, then I'm happy with the decision. It's going to be fun to hear more from Salvador too, like Marty said, "I talk to you guys enough, I don't need to be captain on top of it." Kovy would be interviewed out the ass, because people want to talk to him regardless. I don't know, I dig it, especially if the team digs it.

NBC Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:37 PM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb View Post
Any PR stuff. The staffs have gotten so big that each player can request anything they want.
The staff is surprisingly small, especially in hockey ops. Go flip through a program/media guide. You'll see about 95% of the employees. And an overwhelming, shocking number are not allowed to talk to the players.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:38 PM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Quote:
If you're trying to make a dig at me, come right out and say it. Don't pander about. I openly criticize many things about the org, closed practices, anti-fan attitudes, and even the Zajac contract pricing...

And if not, I'm truly story for being defensive about it.
If I was trying to I would come out and say it. I was just making a general observation. Carry on.

I was just pointing out the fact that nobody on these forums knows anymore than anyone else, non of us are on the inside of the organization, as much as we would like to be or wish to be, and that's the truth. All we can offer is our opinions and it's marginally debatable whether one is right over the other.

Mory Schneideur* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
tycobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsblood View Post
Henrique is a professional athlete, not a 10th grade fan. If he doesn't have the balls to think he can compete with the best in the world, he wouldn't be where he is.
Competing against someone and telling an older teammate to change his ways are completely different.

What if Henrique best season was his last? It is crazy how high this board is on him as a player.

tycobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
captain should be calm when he needs to be, and passionate when he needs to be (see: stevens, scott). the wild card is, nobody here knows what sal is really like in the room...except the people in the room. so, if they are ok with it, so am i
There are many "leaders" in that locker room, many veterans. They don`t need to be yelled on. On the ice, Sal has shown many times he can be vocal, stand up for his teammate and work as hard as anyone. He`s also smart, can handle the media pressure just fine and guys in the locker room love him and look up to him. That much we know. I think it`s enough to justify the selection, but that`s me.

Plus everything that`s been posted in this thread to this moment.

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:40 PM
VaxjoDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
I don't think that's the case at all. It's just that we've seen numerous coaches and captains over the last decade and some stability wouldn't hurt once in a while.

After locking up IK and Zajac to multi year deals, it would've been nice to have some stability as the leader of our club going forward, that's all.

Anyways, I won't speak for everyone but that's my reason.
I guess I had to put in the sentence that it was a joke for those who did not understand that.

Anyways, you would not pick the best man for the job because he can't have it for plus 6 six years? Because that's what you're asking DeBoer to do. He obviously thinks Sal is the best player for the C so he picked him. You can disagree with that, but to think he shouldn't give it to Sal because he can't have it for a long time is weird to me.

I think the leaders within the group are the leaders within the group no matter what letter they have. Marty, Kovy and Zajac will bring leadership stability no matter what. Sal will be the best to deal with refs, to deal with media and is the guy who thinks team first and is very calm and collected in both victory and defeat. Perfect choice.

VaxjoDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:40 PM
ZajacsShakes
Den-ee-oos Zoo-Broos

Everyone on the team (well, those mentioned on twitter) seem to be really cool with Sal, so therefor if the team's good with it, I am.

ZajacsShakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:41 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
If that's how you feel, you must be crossing your fingers for Larsson to get the captaincy cause he looks half dead 90% of the time
It's not a question of being completely unemotional. Stevens outbursts were awesome, both from a fan and a locker room perspective. It's a question of being subject to mood swings, both in games and over the course of a season. Some players are particularly streaky, and it's often because they get down on themselves. I don't want my team to get dragged down if its captain gets dragged down.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:42 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
If that's how you feel, you must be crossing your fingers for Larsson to get the captaincy cause he looks half dead 90% of the time
Agreed with CD. Ideally, you find something in between those two.

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Not saying Sal is a bad choice, just feel like Kovy would have been the better long term one. Was hoping for stability instead of the constant carousel of coaches and captains we are becoming known for.

Old
Cowbell232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnyrocket View Post
If I was trying to I would come out and say it. I was just making a general observation. Carry on.

I was just pointing out the fact that nobody on these forums knows anymore than anyone else, non of us are on the inside of the organization, as much as we would like to be or wish to be, and that's the truth. All we can offer is our opinions and it's marginally debatable whether one is right over the other.
Well, see, I have worked inside the Devils offices before...

I'm definitely not any more informed about the players or hockey ops then anyone on this board... but I know the people who are,

Cowbell232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
i like sal so i like this choice.

åboriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:43 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
Quote:

I'm definitely not any more informed about the players or hockey ops then anyone on this board... but I know the people who are,
um noooo hf is def the most informed of all fans out there. i mean seriously. we called the kovy trade and the chara trade.

åboriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:44 PM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Quote:
There are many "leaders" in that locker room, many veterans. They don`t need to be yelled on. On the ice, Sal has shown many times he can be vocal, stand up for his teammate and work as hard as anyone. He`s also smart, can handle the media pressure just fine and guys in the locker room love him and look up to him. That much we know. I think it`s enough to justify the selection, but that`s me.

Plus everything that`s been posted in this thread to this moment.
You're right, it's true. The guys have been saying recently that there is more leader on the team than just the captain. I think Elias was even quoted saying there are multiple leaders and the organization prides itself on a team effort.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:44 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

People forget with Salvador, he stayed a Devil, not once but twice - and he was supposed to be gone both times.

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:45 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
I still hate his contract, but this explains a bit of why Lou was willing to sign it.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:46 PM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Quote:

I'll take it lol. Where have you worked? I know you were in the media offices I think, but dont know much else. I didn't know they share info with the departments. I mean, Lou's way of things is so secretive it's almost mafia like

Old
01-17-2013, 12:48 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice
Salvador on getting C: "It’s a tremendous honor. I think it’s just a huge compliment for an organization like New Jersey with the success...

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice
Salvador cont:"..and just the history they have and all the previous captains, for them to select me as the next captain was just an honor."

Wingman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:49 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
O_o

vCash: 425
Quote:
That makes two of us.
Make that three.

Having the most people in the crowd wearing your jersey is not a reason to wear the C.
Scoring ability is not a reason to wear the C.
Buying stuff for teammates is not a reason to wear the C.
Knowing historical stats of the team is not a reason to wear the C.
Wearing your heart on your sleeve sometimes to the point of needing restrained is not a reason to wear the C.

It's not a popularity contest, it's an added responsibility that I'd prefer our featured workhorse not have to deal with. Kovy can still be the hero of the team on a nightly basis with an A on his jersey. It's still a sign of the utmost respect by his team and coach.

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:49 PM
Just Win
Free Larsson

vCash: 50
I cannot say i did expect Sal to be named captain, but damn, i love the choice.

Just Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:52 PM
Capt Brycey Poo
Holik to HHOF

Damnit! Just when i was about to dare RG into another Whos the next captain wager.. Im so content with this one. Sal is a solid, stable player, just what the team needs.

Capt Brycey Poo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:53 PM
devilsblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb View Post
Competing against someone and telling an older teammate to change his ways are completely different.

What if Henrique best season was his last? It is crazy how high this board is on him as a player.
I don't think anyone is saying Henrique should be captain right now. All Henrique as "captain down the road" speculation is 100% contingent upon him growing as a player and leader.

devilsblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:53 PM
Parise9Crosby87

i thought it was kovys for sure

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote