HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Isles claim Keith Aucoin off waivers

Old
01-17-2013, 12:09 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

vCash: 500
I am a bit confused. This smells like a bridge signing, with the possability of a call up when necessary, but can we stick him on our AHL club without losing him? Someone please explain.

If he is meant for the fourth line then the signing is annoying but not the end of the world. If they are trying to sign depth to allow for a trade of other bodies sometime soon then maybe not such a bad thing.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:24 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
I am a bit confused. This smells like a bridge signing, with the possability of a call up when necessary, but can we stick him on our AHL club without losing him? Someone please explain.

If he is meant for the fourth line then the signing is annoying but not the end of the world. If they are trying to sign depth to allow for a trade of other bodies sometime soon then maybe not such a bad thing.
He is one of the best AHL players every year. He would have to go on waivers to be sent to bridgeport, which he would never make it to. Whether he is depth or meant to replace Reasoner, he will be on the Island. Unless we waive him agian when Bailey & Joensuu Return.

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:25 PM
Satan'sIsland81

Dont mind this signing if its for the fourth line to alternate with Reasoner (whoever is playing better). However, I would have much rather had Tim Connolly. I think people on this board are being way too critical of Tim. Look at his last five seasons...he has had 210 or so points in around 280 something games...how many guys on our current roster can say that? And on top of that, he has been relatively healthy the last few seasons. Connolly would have been the perfect one-year stopgap second line center and is a great passer, so you put him with Grabner and Boyes and I bet you Connolly is a 50-60 point player (in a full season obviously). Then you slide Franz down to third line where he should be. It makes too much sense, so the Isles wouldnt do it and I am sorry but payroll should not be an issue. With how low our payroll is, 2 million dollars for one year of a player that can still average 50 points a season even in a down year, should be a no-brainer.

Satan'sIsland81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:29 PM
steveat

I don't mind Connolly either. We lost PA and Connolly is the only one that can be picked up fast that could make up for the loss.

I think we have the mentality that our team is still soft. Connolly is too softy and last year, I would have said no, but we got bigger.. so I figure why not. I think he would make a better winger though...and maybe take some faceoffs too.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:43 PM
StrongIslanders90

Hickey made sense to me even Finley but m not sure what holes this guy fills....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:44 PM
LAPPY13

Keith Aucoin(c) out played Jeff Halpern(c) (new Rangers 4th line center) and by playoff time 2011-12 season was the Washington Caps new #4 center and Halpern sat in the press box.

Aucoin will be the Islander #4 center this season nothing more!

Islanders fans need to relax this is just a move for some depth on our roster.

LAPPY13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:50 PM
doublechili

vCash: 600
This is probably the better thread for this question: Is it possible that the Isles claimed Aucoin from the Leafs b/c they intend to claim Connolly and would then expose Aucoin for the Leafs to take back? Not sure if that's the way the process works, but just speculating that it's theoretically possible this is a pre-arranged thing. Probably not, and he'll just be 4th line C, but throwing it out there....

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:58 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post
As per Staple twitter. 34 year old center

https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday/sta...53904156016640
Let the Dumpster Diving begin

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:00 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
This is probably the better thread for this question: Is it possible that the Isles claimed Aucoin from the Leafs b/c they intend to claim Connolly and would then expose Aucoin for the Leafs to take back? Not sure if that's the way the process works, but just speculating that it's theoretically possible this is a pre-arranged thing. Probably not, and he'll just be 4th line C, but throwing it out there....
I think you might be looking for something that just isn't there. I see it as a depth move with no other implications. I would be worried if I was Marty Reasoner though.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:07 PM
doublechili

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I think you might be looking for something that just isn't there. I see it as a depth move with no other implications. I would be worried if I was Marty Reasoner though.
Absolutely! You're probably right.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:13 PM
BaileyToOkposo

Just keep getting 4th line people. I guess we can always either send some down or waiver

BaileyToOkposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:17 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyToOkposo View Post
Just keep getting 4th line people. I guess we can always either send some down or waiver
We won't know for sure until the line-up for Saturday comes out, but all indications point to him continuing in Bridgeport for the time being. If/when injuries occur, he may be called up.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:25 PM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanperro View Post
If Weight, Snow and Wang had a theme song it would be this:

Best episode...ever

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:28 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
We won't know for sure until the line-up for Saturday comes out, but all indications point to him continuing in Bridgeport for the time being. If/when injuries occur, he may be called up.
Who? Aucoin is on the NHL roster already.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:30 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
He is one of the best AHL players every year. He would have to go on waivers to be sent to bridgeport, which he would never make it to. Whether he is depth or meant to replace Reasoner, he will be on the Island. Unless we waive him agian when Bailey & Joensuu Return.
Thanks Krisbe. I figured he'd be a goner if sent down. I like the idea of him over Reasoner.

With the new waiver rules in the new cba, once the season is going, does that problem go away? I remember something about players not having to clear at some point.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:35 PM
NYI365
Let's Go Islanders!

I know people are writing the Aucoin pickup off as nothing more than a depth signing, but he had 106 pts with Hershey in 2010...

NYI365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:42 PM
Augscura

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Cizikas needs more time in the AHL, he wasn't ready this year. Next year lose Aucoin and Reasoner, bring in Strome and Cizikas.
This is what I was thinking, he'll be here until either of those 2 are ready to go.

Augscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:53 PM
Hershey Hockey
#AskNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI365 View Post
I know people are writing the Aucoin pickup off as nothing more than a depth signing, but he had 106 pts with Hershey in 2010...
He was Hershey's center on the first line with Andrew Gordon and Graham Mink, arguably the most dominant AHL first line ever in that championship season three years ago.

I've seen more of Aucoin than probably any other player with his time in Hershey the past few years. He had an extended stint with Washington at the end of last season and into the playoffs. Don't write him off as just another mediocre waiver wire pickup. He was the victim of a deep Washington roster and finally got his shot because of all the injury problems they had late last year. He is very quick, sound defensively, and an excellent passer. Most of those 106 points he had in 2010 were assists.

He's a fan favorite everywhere he goes. People in Hershey love him; they were heartbroken when he left after last year and he gets a standing ovation whenever the Marlies play here. A very honest, hard-working player. His size is the main thing holding him back. I think he will be a lock for our third or fourth line center. I'm personally very happy to see the Islanders picked him up and I'm sure he will be happy to get a legitimate shot at cracking an NHL roster for an extended period of time as well.

Hershey Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:59 PM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Hickey made sense to me even Finley but m not sure what holes this guy fills....
Just ask his wife... Zing!

Sorry mods couldn't resist. :-(

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:00 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
Who? Aucoin is on the NHL roster already.
The quoted poster edited their post. Originally asked if Nino was making the opening night roster.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:07 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
The quoted poster edited their post. Originally asked if Nino was making the opening night roster.
AHHHHH, Get it now, and agree. We wont see Nino unless injuries or his play makes us give him a chance this season.

Old
01-17-2013, 02:07 PM
StumpNYI

TH

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:10 PM
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)

vCash: 102
A lot of people are not fond of this move but let's be honest hes an upgrade over reasoner. It's not the big moves we need but I'll take Aucoin over Reasoner on the 4th line.

NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:11 PM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
TH

HAHAHAHA!!! Took me a second, not gonna lie.

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:23 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanperro View Post
HAHAHAHA!!! Took me a second, not gonna lie.
Haha, include me too. Took me more than a second.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote