HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The All-Purpose Bryz/Goaltending Thread #7

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-14-2013, 07:05 PM
  #201
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,861
vCash: 156
I'm thinking we see between .918 and .923 for Bryz. I don't trust the D all that much so GAA will probably be something like 2.70. Too much time off, some new faces...there will be some breakdowns.

I think we see a few very good weeks and a few very bad weeks that cancel each other out. I'm beginning to suspect Bryz is a peaks and valleys kind of guy.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
01-14-2013, 07:26 PM
  #202
funghoul
retardo montalbon
 
funghoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: upper drugs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
I'm thinking we see between .918 and .923 for Bryz. I don't trust the D all that much so GAA will probably be something like 2.70. Too much time off, some new faces...there will be some breakdowns.

I think we see a few very good weeks and a few very bad weeks that cancel each other out. I'm beginning to suspect Bryz is a peaks and valleys kind of guy.
thats pretty good. i like the optimism.

funghoul is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 08:09 PM
  #203
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,861
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
thats pretty good. i like the optimism.
If he is another version of Fleury it will all depend on the timing of those valleys.

Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
01-14-2013, 09:42 PM
  #204
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 2,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
He lost that battle for a long time. It was only for the last month where he came out on top. Stana was the clear starter for close to 2/3 of Bryz's time there. Stana was also putting up unreal numbers though, so even if Bryz had played better he likely still wouldn't have been starter. However, Bryz wasn't playing better...he was floundering. Again.

Edit: For at least the first month, I recall Proskuryakov getting more starts than Bryz and putting up better numbers than Bryz. There was indeed a period of time where Bryz was third string, not dressing for games. he started with 2 bad games and then sat for a bit.
Hmm, let's see. I don't know when Bryz actually arrived in Moscow, but eliteprospects lists Sep. 19 as the confirmation date for his transfer to CSKA. In September, Stana got all 4 starts from that date on. In October, he got 7 starts, Proskuryakov got 1 and Bryzgalov got 3. In November, Stana got 5 starts and Bryz got 2. Proskuryakov got none. I didn't check the month of December, but I think it's fair to say it's been confirmed what your bias is I don't mean that in a bad way, either, but we do look for things that enforce beliefs we already have. I'm the same, don't worry.

As for not being dressed, I gave a reason already. Maybe that wasn't all there was to it, but I think those starts show he wasn't a third stringer at any point in time.

Ryker is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 10:13 PM
  #205
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,861
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Hmm, let's see. I don't know when Bryz actually arrived in Moscow, but eliteprospects lists Sep. 19 as the confirmation date for his transfer to CSKA. In September, Stana got all 4 starts from that date on. In October, he got 7 starts, Proskuryakov got 1 and Bryzgalov got 3. In November, Stana got 5 starts and Bryz got 2. Proskuryakov got none. I didn't check the month of December, but I think it's fair to say it's been confirmed what your bias is I don't mean that in a bad way, either, but we do look for things that enforce beliefs we already have. I'm the same, don't worry.

As for not being dressed, I gave a reason already. Maybe that wasn't all there was to it, but I think those starts show he wasn't a third stringer at any point in time.
There is no bias. I was monitoring stats through his KHL stay. I guess I was looking at GP instead of GS? He was definitely the low man statistically for a while, and had the fewest games played; though being a shootout specialist would explain the extra GP for Proskuryakov.

Edit: He was also called out by the media for his play. I doubt that happened for no reason at all.

Edit 2: As for bias, once again, there is none. I'm just being realistic; the reality is that he struggled mightily last season and struggled again in the KHL. These things are concerning. The reality is also that he has a large cap hit for a very long time at the wrong end of the age spectrum, so combine that with the inconsistency and it paints a troubling picture. The guy still has a lot to prove. One excellent month doesn't sell me; it shows me the potential, but now he has to live up to it and put together something more reliable.


Last edited by Beef Invictus: 01-14-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
01-14-2013, 10:32 PM
  #206
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,184
vCash: 500
NHL totals
385 gp
.915 sv%
2.52 gaa

the only KHL stats i can find:
12 GP
Sv Pct .913
GAA : 2.13


his KHL stats are slightly better than his NHL stats.

as Lavvy would say : "what's the problem NOW ?"

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 10:39 PM
  #207
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,861
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
NHL totals
385 gp
.915 sv%
2.52 gaa

the only KHL stats i can find:
12 GP
Sv Pct .913
GAA : 2.13


his KHL stats are slightly better than his NHL stats.

as Lavvy would say : "what's the problem NOW ?"
You're really good at removing stats from context. As I've already said probably a dozen times, he ended the KHL run on a very strong note which brought his stats back up to par.

He started off (like last year) on a very weak note. Sv PCT in the .800s, GAA approaching 4.00. Clashes with the media, etc.

Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
01-17-2013, 08:26 AM
  #208
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing
 
RevUpThoseGolfCarts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,810
vCash: 500
Why don't people get that all of us want to see Bryz be an amazing goalie?

But he just isn't.

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 08:34 AM
  #209
CanadianFlyersFan18
Registered User
 
CanadianFlyersFan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
You're really good at removing stats from context. As I've already said probably a dozen times, he ended the KHL run on a very strong note which brought his stats back up to par.

He started off (like last year) on a very weak note. Sv PCT in the .800s, GAA approaching 4.00. Clashes with the media, etc.
You can credit him for playing bad but not for playing good? Assuming your next point will be it you want consistency from our overpaid goalie, I'll put it as simple as I can. This team is only going to go as far as team defence lets us. Its not the goalies fault, its the the slow defencemen faults nor is it are forwards faults. Collectively this team needs to play team defence from the goal out. If that means getting less Offensive zone time to prevent odd man rushes I'm all for it. Frankly this team didn't have a balance last year which resulted in the WHOLE TEAM struggling against the Rangers, the Devils etc who play team defence. The moment this team as a whole commits to improving their play in the defensive zone will be when you see a confident Bryz. Goalie and Hockey is a weird sport, Confidence and getting comfortable are key factors in being successful, and look no further than Scott Hartnell at the start of last year. Heres to Bryz having good stats all year long

CanadianFlyersFan18 is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 08:52 AM
  #210
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyersFan18 View Post
You can credit him for playing bad but not for playing good?
to a Bryz hater, had he started strong & then slumped, the focus would be on the slump.
to a Bryz hater, had he alternated strong & poor games, the focus would be on inconsistency.
it's no surprise that to a Bryz hater, his KHL stats that are slightly better than his career NHL numbers 'don't count'

you just have to accept that to some, Bryz can do zero good.

he needs to be better this year. no doubt. and cease with the media circus. just stop the puck.
i don't expect 48 games like March '12, but im hoping he & the TEAM D will be better & we'll see a solid goalie that we only saw flashes of last year.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 09:00 AM
  #211
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,861
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyersFan18 View Post
You can credit him for playing bad but not for playing good? Assuming your next point will be it you want consistency from our overpaid goalie, I'll put it as simple as I can. This team is only going to go as far as team defence lets us. Its not the goalies fault, its the the slow defencemen faults nor is it are forwards faults. Collectively this team needs to play team defence from the goal out. If that means getting less Offensive zone time to prevent odd man rushes I'm all for it. Frankly this team didn't have a balance last year which resulted in the WHOLE TEAM struggling against the Rangers, the Devils etc who play team defence. The moment this team as a whole commits to improving their play in the defensive zone will be when you see a confident Bryz. Goalie and Hockey is a weird sport, Confidence and getting comfortable are key factors in being successful, and look no further than Scott Hartnell at the start of last year. Heres to Bryz having good stats all year long
I give him credit for playing well in March all the time. Here's the thing though...he was downright bad for about 3 months, shaky for one month, and excellent for one month. At his cap hit and contract, that's totally unacceptable. He absolutely needs to be better than that or he needs to be bought out.

December was our best defensive month, yet it was Bryz's worst. Defense wasn't Bryz's problem...Bryz was his own problem. On top of that, our defense was far from worst in the league. It was a little above average if anything, it was just hard to tell because any shot had a chance of going in. Lots of goalies on worse teams put up better numbers. Vokoun, for instance, outperformed Bryz on an imploding Caps team. Bobrovsky outperformed Bryz behind the exact same defense until he hit his annual January wall.

It was the goalie's fault. He has a lot to prove this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
to a Bryz hater, had he started strong & then slumped, the focus would be on the slump.
to a Bryz hater, had he alternated strong & poor games, the focus would be on inconsistency.
it's no surprise that to a Bryz hater, his KHL stats that are slightly better than his career NHL numbers 'don't count'

you just have to accept that to some, Bryz can do zero good.

he needs to be better this year. no doubt. and cease with the media circus. just stop the puck.
i don't expect 48 games like March '12, but im hoping he & the TEAM D will be better & we'll see a solid goalie that we only saw flashes of last year.
This is such an incredibly dishonest post I don't know how to respond to it. I've given Bryz credit for his good play constantly, and you willingly ignore it for reasons incomprehensible to me; sorry I don't spend all of my days guzzling the Bryz Kool-Aid and ignoring the hard reality of his performance last year. There just wasn't a lot of good play to give credit for, something which Bryz himself admitted.

On the other side of the coin, why are you constantly ignoring his terrible start in the KHL, where he struggled with a lot of the same problems as last year?

Edit: alternating strong and poor games IS absolutely unacceptable for someone with his cap hit at his position. This guy isn't supposed to be a more expensive Biron. Go wander over to the Pens forum whenever Fleury has a couple bad games. The riot over there is worse than here. Why? Because you can't afford to give 5 million dollars to a goalie who might lose you any game due to inconsistency...that money is better spent elsewhere.


Last edited by Beef Invictus: 01-17-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
01-17-2013, 10:31 AM
  #212
CanadianFlyersFan18
Registered User
 
CanadianFlyersFan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
I give him credit for playing well in March all the time. Here's the thing though...he was downright bad for about 3 months, shaky for one month, and excellent for one month. At his cap hit and contract, that's totally unacceptable. He absolutely needs to be better than that or he needs to be bought out.

December was our best defensive month, yet it was Bryz's worst. Defense wasn't Bryz's problem...Bryz was his own problem. On top of that, our defense was far from worst in the league. It was a little above average if anything, it was just hard to tell because any shot had a chance of going in. Lots of goalies on worse teams put up better numbers. Vokoun, for instance, outperformed Bryz on an imploding Caps team. Bobrovsky outperformed Bryz behind the exact same defense until he hit his annual January wall.

It was the goalie's fault. He has a lot to prove this year.



This is such an incredibly dishonest post I don't know how to respond to it. I've given Bryz credit for his good play constantly, and you willingly ignore it for reasons incomprehensible to me; sorry I don't spend all of my days guzzling the Bryz Kool-Aid and ignoring the hard reality of his performance last year. There just wasn't a lot of good play to give credit for, something which Bryz himself admitted.

On the other side of the coin, why are you constantly ignoring his terrible start in the KHL, where he struggled with a lot of the same problems as last year?

Edit: alternating strong and poor games IS absolutely unacceptable for someone with his cap hit at his position. This guy isn't supposed to be a more expensive Biron. Go wander over to the Pens forum whenever Fleury has a couple bad games. The riot over there is worse than here. Why? Because you can't afford to give 5 million dollars to a goalie who might lose you any game due to inconsistency...that money is better spent elsewhere.
I understand you were frustrated that Bryz got shelled in December, we all were. Heres the thing you still fail to realize, if one guy isn't doing his job its up to the rest of the team to play well enough to get Wins. Spending 5 million of Elder or 8 million on Weber isn't going to stop the fact this team doesn't play well in their own zone. TEAM DEFENCE! The Rangers, Devils, Kings etc all play team defence. They clog lanes, block shots, and reduce the amount of quality scoring chances to practically zero. They push teams to the outside and counter-attack based on the fact they forced the other team to make mistakes. Does Bryz let in softies? No doubt but the amount of times the the puck gets deflected in, point shots make it through and the second and third chances out weight the softies. The elite teams in this league make sure those point shots get blocked or the stick is tied up to prevent deflections and they without a doubt collapse in front of their goalie to prevent the 2nd and 3rd chances. This team has some of the best offensive talent in the NHL, I'd say their on par with LA, the difference is LA works from the goalie out, the Flyers work from Forwards out. Bryz will have a great 48 games, I truly believe that, but for this team to be successful, they need to start doing the little things that can make Bryz, Leighton, Boucher whoever great.

CanadianFlyersFan18 is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 12:10 PM
  #213
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,438
vCash: 500
i was watching a bryz interview where they asked him about his time in the KHL and he said that players over there start to get ready for the season months in advance. meanwhile when bryz got there he said they gave him like a week or so to get ready. know i don't know definitively but couldn't this have attributed to his woes in his first several games. that combined with the fact that he was getting abbreviated playing time, i'm not surprised that he didn't come on until later in the season. i'm just happy that he did start to turn it around.

i wholeheartedly believe that bryz can and will be an above average goaltender again (top 15) in the near future. just my thoughts on the subject

FlyersFan61290 is online now  
Old
01-17-2013, 12:15 PM
  #214
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyersFan18 View Post
the amount of times the the puck gets deflected in, point shots make it through and the second and third chances out weight the softies.
oh, there you go again with your darn facts to make sense !!

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 12:23 PM
  #215
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,861
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyersFan18 View Post
I understand you were frustrated that Bryz got shelled in December, we all were. Heres the thing you still fail to realize, if one guy isn't doing his job its up to the rest of the team to play well enough to get Wins. Spending 5 million of Elder or 8 million on Weber isn't going to stop the fact this team doesn't play well in their own zone. TEAM DEFENCE! The Rangers, Devils, Kings etc all play team defence. They clog lanes, block shots, and reduce the amount of quality scoring chances to practically zero. They push teams to the outside and counter-attack based on the fact they forced the other team to make mistakes. Does Bryz let in softies? No doubt but the amount of times the the puck gets deflected in, point shots make it through and the second and third chances out weight the softies. The elite teams in this league make sure those point shots get blocked or the stick is tied up to prevent deflections and they without a doubt collapse in front of their goalie to prevent the 2nd and 3rd chances. This team has some of the best offensive talent in the NHL, I'd say their on par with LA, the difference is LA works from the goalie out, the Flyers work from Forwards out. Bryz will have a great 48 games, I truly believe that, but for this team to be successful, they need to start doing the little things that can make Bryz, Leighton, Boucher whoever great.
It is indeed up to the rest of the team to make up for teammates. I realize that perfectly well. The issue is, it's VERY difficult to make up for a struggling goaltender. It's much easier to make up for a struggling skater than it is a struggling goaltender. You can minimize that guy's ice time, or use him situationally...that doesn't really work with goalies. The 09-10 team could do it, but we don't have that team anymore. Very few teams in hockey have the ability to do so. If a highly paid skater has a bad game, it's unusual that he's single-handedly responsible for the loss, unless it's an amazingly bad game; if a goalie has a bad game, he can easily cost his team the win on his own, and that happens more often.

Goal is a very specialized position...you have only one role: stop shots. They only impact the play in one of the three zones. So if you're going to pay over 5 million dollars for a goalie, that goalie NEEDS to be consistent and needs to minimize the number of times he puts the team in a bad spot...you'd expect him to maximize the positive impact he has in his one zone of play. A goalie of that supposed caliber should be making up for the deficiencies of the team in front of him, instead of being completely reliant on the defense. If Bryz wants to stay on this team without getting bought out, he needs to play up to his cap hit. He didn't do that last year, so people (including myself) are concerned it could possibly happen again. Does defense need to be better this year? Yeah, it sure does. Ranking around the middle of the league won't get the job done. Unfortunately, neither does having a goalie ranked near the bottom for save percentage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
oh, there you go again with your darn facts to make sense !!
Here's a darned fact for you: a goalie being paid 5.6 million dollars shouldn't move like a drugged sloth from post to post, should have some idea what position he should be in, and shouldn't routinely let unscreened point shots in. He also shouldn't be ranked almost dead last amongst starting goalies for the bulk of the season. Guess what Bryz was doing for a depressing amount of last year?

He has yet to prove he can hack it here. He's given us a lot more to be concerned about than to be excited for. Acknowledging that yet hoping he turns it around doesn't make someone a "Bryz hater" as you call them, or make them anti-Bryz. I hope that someday you can understand that distinction.

Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
01-17-2013, 12:52 PM
  #216
Flyerfan4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond BC, Canada
Country: England
Posts: 12,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
oh, there you go again with your darn facts to make sense !!
its dam funny how u support that statement for your side of the arquement, but when someone else does the same thing , you just disregard it as Bryz-hater..

its quite comical actualy..

Flyerfan4life is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 01:09 PM
  #217
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 13,957
vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
I'm thinking we see between .918 and .923 for Bryz. I don't trust the D all that much so GAA will probably be something like 2.70. Too much time off, some new faces...there will be some breakdowns.

I think we see a few very good weeks and a few very bad weeks that cancel each other out. I'm beginning to suspect Bryz is a peaks and valleys kind of guy.
I hope you're wrong about that combination of numbers.

If Bryz puts up a 0.918 sv% with a 2.70 GAA, the Flyers will be giving up the most shots in the league (~33). Carolina was last in 11/12 with 32.4 shots allowed per game.

With a 0.923 sv%, it's even worse.

__________________
I deride your truth handling abilities
CanadianFlyer88 is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 01:11 PM
  #218
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,861
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
I hope you're wrong about that combination of numbers.

If Bryz puts up a 0.918 sv% with a 2.70 GAA, the Flyers will be giving up the most shots in the league (~33). Carolina was last in 11/12 with 32.4 shots allowed per game.

With a 0.923 sv%, it's even worse.
I mental mathed it. I'm not much good without a calculator handy.

Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
01-17-2013, 01:57 PM
  #219
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
its dam funny how u support that statement for your side of the arquement, but when someone else does the same thing , you just disregard it as Bryz-hater..

its quite comical actualy..
discounting his KHL stats that are better than his NHL stats & pointing to them as evidence Bryz is not a good goalie because he "started slow" IS comical & the words of a Bryz hater.

if you don't think there were FAR more "man wide open" & deflected goals last year vs "softies", you simply were not paying close enough attention last year.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 02:02 PM
  #220
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,861
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
discounting his KHL stats that are better than his NHL stats & pointing to them as evidence Bryz is not a good goalie because he "started slow" IS comical & the words of a Bryz hater.

if you don't think there were FAR more "man wide open" & deflected goals last year vs "softies", you simply were not paying close enough attention last year.
Other goalies weren't having as much trouble stopping our wide open and deflected shots

Bob didn't have as much trouble either, before hitting his wall.

Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
01-17-2013, 02:17 PM
  #221
CanadianFlyersFan18
Registered User
 
CanadianFlyersFan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
It is indeed up to the rest of the team to make up for teammates. I realize that perfectly well. The issue is, it's VERY difficult to make up for a struggling goaltender. It's much easier to make up for a struggling skater than it is a struggling goaltender. You can minimize that guy's ice time, or use him situationally...that doesn't really work with goalies. The 09-10 team could do it, but we don't have that team anymore. Very few teams in hockey have the ability to do so. If a highly paid skater has a bad game, it's unusual that he's single-handedly responsible for the loss, unless it's an amazingly bad game; if a goalie has a bad game, he can easily cost his team the win on his own, and that happens more often.

Goal is a very specialized position...you have only one role: stop shots. They only impact the play in one of the three zones. So if you're going to pay over 5 million dollars for a goalie, that goalie NEEDS to be consistent and needs to minimize the number of times he puts the team in a bad spot...you'd expect him to maximize the positive impact he has in his one zone of play. A goalie of that supposed caliber should be making up for the deficiencies of the team in front of him, instead of being completely reliant on the defense. If Bryz wants to stay on this team without getting bought out, he needs to play up to his cap hit. He didn't do that last year, so people (including myself) are concerned it could possibly happen again. Does defense need to be better this year? Yeah, it sure does. Ranking around the middle of the league won't get the job done. Unfortunately, neither does having a goalie ranked near the bottom for save percentage.



Here's a darned fact for you: a goalie being paid 5.6 million dollars shouldn't move like a drugged sloth from post to post, should have some idea what position he should be in, and shouldn't routinely let unscreened point shots in. He also shouldn't be ranked almost dead last amongst starting goalies for the bulk of the season. Guess what Bryz was doing for a depressing amount of last year?

He has yet to prove he can hack it here. He's given us a lot more to be concerned about than to be excited for. Acknowledging that yet hoping he turns it around doesn't make someone a "Bryz hater" as you call them, or make them anti-Bryz. I hope that someday you can understand that distinction.
Now why is it the 09-10 team can do it but this group can't? The lose of Richards/Carter/Gagne are huge defensively and so is missing Pronger, but have depth guys who get in lanes, and play hard D should help there. Michael Leighton for all he's work was awful in the cup run. He stunk but the team played good enough TEAM DEFENCE to cover it up. It starts with your zone. Bryz is a much more capable goalie than ML. ML isn't capable of making a game-changing save, Bryz is but when the quality scoring chances are being thrown at you and the amount of times the TEAM let him down is ridiculous. Does Iyla make 5.5 million, he sure does, but Briere makes 6.5, Mez makes 4, Kimmo makes 6 and frankly not even Briere gets eaten alive as much as Bryz. Bryz has to be better, its totally understandable, he can't repeat December but from how he played from that Calgary game in mid-Jan or Feb? till the Flyers got eliminated is how he should be playing. In that form and commitment to solid Team Defence... (March hello) this team is a top 5 team in the NHL. As for the Move like a Sloth comment.. well our other option was High Glove Bob... pick your poison, neither of them could have succeeded last year.

CanadianFlyersFan18 is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 02:37 PM
  #222
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,861
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyersFan18 View Post
Now why is it the 09-10 team can do it but this group can't? The lose of Richards/Carter/Gagne are huge defensively and so is missing Pronger, but have depth guys who get in lanes, and play hard D should help there. Michael Leighton for all he's work was awful in the cup run. He stunk but the team played good enough TEAM DEFENCE to cover it up. It starts with your zone. Bryz is a much more capable goalie than ML. ML isn't capable of making a game-changing save, Bryz is but when the quality scoring chances are being thrown at you and the amount of times the TEAM let him down is ridiculous. Does Iyla make 5.5 million, he sure does, but Briere makes 6.5, Mez makes 4, Kimmo makes 6 and frankly not even Briere gets eaten alive as much as Bryz. Bryz has to be better, its totally understandable, he can't repeat December but from how he played from that Calgary game in mid-Jan or Feb? till the Flyers got eliminated is how he should be playing. In that form and commitment to solid Team Defence... (March hello) this team is a top 5 team in the NHL. As for the Move like a Sloth comment.. well our other option was High Glove Bob... pick your poison, neither of them could have succeeded last year.
I'll answer this in helter skelter fashion:

Briere is on the verge of getting eaten alive, and it began last year. Mez earns his cap hit when he's healthy, Timonen DEFINITELY earns his. Bryz wasn't. It still remains true that it's far easier to cover for a struggling skater than it is a struggling goalie.

March was our worst month defensively because our team was depleted by injuries. That's why that month is so impressive; he finally stepped up in a big way when the team really needed it.

You answered your own question about 09-10: we don't have those personnel anymore. It's one thing to say "just go do those things!" and another thing entirely to actually do them. We no longer have a team that can babysit a goalie if babysitting is required.

Bryzgalov wasn't seeing more scoring chances against than many other goalies in the league. If you watched games around the NHL, a hell of a lot of guys saw a lot of the same things. They almost all did a better job stopping those chances than Bryz. Jan-Feb were an improvement, but he still looked really shaky at times and he was still vacillating between "hey, that was good!" and "Wow that was terrible."

As for Bob? If he had the endurance to play well past early January I think he could have been decently successful. But that's an "if." He's shown the last two years that he just wears out...I'm not sure if it's physical, so much as mental. Maybe he overworks himself.

Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
01-17-2013, 02:38 PM
  #223
toughfighter83*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyersFan18 View Post
Now why is it the 09-10 team can do it but this group can't? The lose of Richards/Carter/Gagne are huge defensively and so is missing Pronger, but have depth guys who get in lanes, and play hard D should help there. Michael Leighton for all he's work was awful in the cup run. He stunk but the team played good enough TEAM DEFENCE to cover it up. It starts with your zone. Bryz is a much more capable goalie than ML. ML isn't capable of making a game-changing save, Bryz is but when the quality scoring chances are being thrown at you and the amount of times the TEAM let him down is ridiculous. Does Iyla make 5.5 million, he sure does, but Briere makes 6.5, Mez makes 4, Kimmo makes 6 and frankly not even Briere gets eaten alive as much as Bryz. Bryz has to be better, its totally understandable, he can't repeat December but from how he played from that Calgary game in mid-Jan or Feb? till the Flyers got eliminated is how he should be playing. In that form and commitment to solid Team Defence... (March hello) this team is a top 5 team in the NHL. As for the Move like a Sloth comment.. well our other option was High Glove Bob... pick your poison, neither of them could have succeeded last year.
the difference is in pittsburgh series, there was no defense on either side accept in game 6 when phillia finally played defense and they won the series and it made bryz good, bob couldnt even stop a shot, i think he was worse than bryz, if we didnt have him, they would have gotten knocked out by pittsburgh easily, there were great saves by bryz that made great comebacks in games 1 and 2.

toughfighter83* is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 02:41 PM
  #224
orange is better
than other colors...
 
orange is better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,692
vCash: 500
doc brown says bryz had a sv% of .921 this season... i tend to believe him.

orange is better is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 02:51 PM
  #225
CSKA1974
Registered User
 
CSKA1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Flyerville
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 1,331
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyersFan18 View Post
Now why is it the 09-10 team can do it but this group can't? The lose of Richards/Carter/Gagne are huge defensively and so is missing Pronger, but have depth guys who get in lanes, and play hard D should help there. Michael Leighton for all he's work was awful in the cup run. He stunk but the team played good enough TEAM DEFENCE to cover it up. It starts with your zone. Bryz is a much more capable goalie than ML. ML isn't capable of making a game-changing save, Bryz is but when the quality scoring chances are being thrown at you and the amount of times the TEAM let him down is ridiculous. Does Iyla make 5.5 million, he sure does, but Briere makes 6.5, Mez makes 4, Kimmo makes 6 and frankly not even Briere gets eaten alive as much as Bryz. Bryz has to be better, its totally understandable, he can't repeat December but from how he played from that Calgary game in mid-Jan or Feb? till the Flyers got eliminated is how he should be playing. In that form and commitment to solid Team Defence... (March hello) this team is a top 5 team in the NHL. As for the Move like a Sloth comment.. well our other option was High Glove Bob... pick your poison, neither of them could have succeeded last year.

You need to add Betts, Powe, Lappy, Noddle to see the whole picture of deffencively responsible forwards lost due to trades or atrition.

As for Bryz, I lean more toward Cheese's side- he was consistently inconsistent last year and that what killed his stocks.

I really want him to succeed for the sake of the team and will root whole heartedly for him and the team. However, at this point I am very cautiously optimistic.

I also do not understand the folks that bash him already for the games he has not played yet. Like it or not, he is a goalie of the year. And if he earned a benefit of a doubt from the coaches and management, he deserves one from us.

CSKA1974 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.