HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[NJD] Travis Zajac extended (8 years, $5.75M cap hit)

Old
01-17-2013, 10:58 AM
tycobb

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
Question for Rangers fans that think this is a horrible contract: What do you expect Callahan to get when he gets extended? His second contract was similar to Zajac's second contract (Zajac's final year was 4.8M, Callahan's is 4.825M), and he is likewise a player that any GM would want on their team. Do you not expect him to get a lengthy deal north of 5.5? And will you complain if he signs an identical contract?
Callahan isn't as good as Zajac. But figuring it is the rangers he is going to get 6.5 million a year cap hit.

tycobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:06 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb View Post
Callahan isn't as good as Zajac. But figuring it is the rangers he is going to get 6.5 million a year cap hit.
As much as I hate the Rangers, I'd say that both players are very similar. They're not All-Stars but they aren't bottom 6 players either. They're extremely solid 2nd line players and I'd take Callahan on my team any day of the week.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:12 AM
Caps8112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
How is this signing showing what is wrong with the game? There is only so much money to go around! If a team gives 2mill too much for player X that means that team has 2 million less to sign player Y in the offseason. Contracts like this do not somehow create more money for teams to spend.
They dont create more money this season but they will cause the cap to go up in the future. Its simple inflation, dont know how you cant see that. When you pay someone too much for the service they provide it directly inflates positions above that one. In the future Agents will use Zajac and Laichs contracts to show why there clients now deserve 5 mill plus.

Caps8112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:17 AM
tycobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
As much as I hate the Rangers, I'd say that both players are very similar. They're not All-Stars but they aren't bottom 6 players either. They're extremely solid 2nd line players and I'd take Callahan on my team any day of the week.
Defensive stats have Zajac as one of the best forwards in the league. Callahan is above-average and could easily be a teams #1 center. But I would take Zajac over Callahan in a heart beat.

Old
01-17-2013, 11:18 AM
tycobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caps8112 View Post
They dont create more money this season but they will cause the cap to go up in the future. Its simple inflation, dont know how you cant see that. When you pay someone too much for the service they provide it directly inflates positions above that one. In the future Agents will use Zajac and Laichs contracts to show why there clients now deserve 5 mill plus.
The cap is based off Hockey Revenues. Giving Zajac 10 million dollar cap hit isn't going to do anything for other players.

Old
01-17-2013, 11:34 AM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItVeryMuch View Post
The blind dismissing of everything the Devils do by the collection of clowns on HFRangers is one thing, I personally love that this guy is obsessed about the Devils.

He brought up the Kovalchuk 2010 debacle after the same player absolutely smoked them in the ECF last Spring. Where does it end?

I believe Zajac did a bit of damage against them last season as well.

This is a fan of a team who gave Scott Gomez, Wade Redden, Bobby Holik, Chris Drury, Darius Kasparitits bajillion dollar contracts and he dares questions the actions of the Devils GM?

The GM of the team who was able to crack the facade of the 6 goalie defense last season?

The same.
JA's posts are hilarious. He's like our version of Muttley, except nobody ever really payed attention to Muttley. Whatever happened to that guy anyway? A member search comes up blank so I'm assuming he changed his name. JA really gets to you guys though. Enough that you have to come on here and post pictures of the Henrique goal like its gonna hurt his feelings. That guy is gonna keep posting his vitriol and the only thing feeding him is you guys coming on here and quoting him. Oddly enough a good portion of that post is complimentary to Devils players, but he knows how to deliver it to really get under Devils fans skin. Good stuff.

My advice? Ignore him.

And JA, keep fighting the good fight my man.

RangerBlue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:46 AM
Beetlebum*

I think JA is scared. Zenith already met the nadir when he faced me and FireSather lives in constant fear.

Beetlebum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:53 AM
Devilspuppet666

vCash: 250
why dont ppl just leave the devils alone its not a bad deal TBH a little long but W/E

the fans like him and i bet 98% love this deal and would rather have him at this deal than not having him on the team

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:57 AM
daveskirtun
:o)

Devils fans:

Everyone else:

daveskirtun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:01 PM
DerekDevils30

As I said yesterday, I'm happy with this deal. One of the best two way centres in the league. He and Kovy have had great chemistry. They were dominant together in the second half (better half) of the 2010-2011 season and worked well together in the playoffs last season. I would tell folks that think it's overpayment to wait, at least, until the end of this year. He will be in a situation where he can put up points playing alongside Kovalchuk. Give him the year and then go nuts if need be one way or the other.

DerekDevils30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:14 PM
None Shall Pass
Got Carter

I think some things are being ignored here:

This contract eliminates Zajac's first foray into UFA land. He wasn't an RFA (technically) when he signed this extension. Thus the comparison to guys like Taylor Hall and their contracts are moot and silly.

Second, in actual dollars, not cap hit, Zajac is making $4.8M this year. The cap hit is a $900K raise. For his first UFA contract. That's nothing. Also, in real dollars again, his first contract year of this extension, he's only making $3.5M.

None Shall Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:17 PM
Spazmatic Dan
The Leafs Are Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveskirtun View Post
Devils fans:

Everyone else:
Devils fans are much prettier apparently.

I'm going to side with them.

Spazmatic Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:20 PM
toewsintangibles

Quote:
Question for Rangers fans that think this is a horrible contract: What do you expect Callahan to get when he gets extended? His second contract was similar to Zajac's second contract (Zajac's final year was 4.8M, Callahan's is 4.825M), and he is likewise a player that any GM would want on their team. Do you not expect him to get a lengthy deal north of 5.5? And will you complain if he signs an identical contract?
Hard to compare, this is Zajac's 3rd contract and Callahan is on his 3rd contract already. Their 3rd contract differences are now Zajac 5.75mil, Callahan 4,275mil

toewsintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:27 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by toewsintangibles View Post
Hard to compare, this is Zajac's 3rd contract and Callahan is on his 3rd contract already. Their 3rd contract differences are now Zajac 5.75mil, Callahan 4,275mil
True... but isn't Callahan a free agent in the next 2 to 3 years? We just fast forwarded the process and bought out the next 5 years of free agency availablity and that right there is the main reason he got close to 6M$ per.

I'll be willing to bet my life savings that Callahan will earn roughly the same type of deal per year, if not more, then what Zajac got yesterday and everyone in Ranger land will be pleased about it.... book it.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:28 PM
Jossipov
Patty's Better

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveskirtun View Post
Devils fans:

Everyone else:
So what you're saying is that Devils fans are way super hotter than everyone else

Jossipov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:59 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Damn I'd bang Devils fans.

The question is, if Henrique does the same thing he did in the playoffs, how much does he deserve to get then.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:04 PM
InjuredChoker

Fair money imo, but the length..

Devils fans not worried about the length? Even a little?

edit. obviously if the other option is to lose him to FA then you gotta five the man his money.

InjuredChoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:18 PM
hlaverty06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post

The question is, if Henrique does the same thing he did in the playoffs, how much does he deserve to get then.
He is a RFA he won't sign for nearly as much

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:31 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevsRR View Post
Very good and fair post.

Zajac is the type of guy the Devils need, so this contract is fair and he has the smarts to be good in the latter part of his career. Zajac showed a lot of chemistry with Kovy but he also works very well with Zubrus. Our first line at camp yesterday was Zubrus Zajac Kovy so I am very excited to see what that line can do. Our second line will have Elias centering so he will make anyone playing with him good. When Henrique returns at 100% health the Devils will once again be fine.
I feel like depth is limited after the loss of Parise, but I feel like Gomez will end up back in NJ and by some dumb luck revives his career.

Quote:
Parise was a huge part of our team but I think the system that Deboer introduced makes everyone compete hard and he gets everything out of everyone which is why I am not worried. Our first strength is our defensive depth, no true number one d pairing but everyone is very good and responsible, Salvador, Tallinder, Greene, Fayne, Larsson, Zidlicky, Volchenkov, Harrold, I trust them all. With these eight guys a trade can easily happen to add depth to our offense. Also if Butler lives up to our expectations it will only help our top six. I also wouldnt even be surprised if we sign Gomez after he is bought out. All jokes aside, the past is the past and I can see him fitting well on our bottom six at a cheap price. With Zubrus and Elias not aging at all and honestly getting better in the last few seasons, I can see both of them staying for another three years. Clarkson also loves it here and loves playing for his once junior coach in Deboer so I would be shocked if he went somewhere else. We have enough forwards for the next three years in order to restock our forward prospects. I like our future.

Only time will tell.
A lot of the Devils offense hinges on Elias and the defense, while they play well as a unit together, I just don't know how much value they hold individually. It depends on what kind and caliber of offensive help you're looking for.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:02 PM
Hampe
The Hampster

It's not that bad. A little more than I would pay, but he's too important of a player to lose.

Hampe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:07 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post

As of right now, Henrique as RFA going into his 2nd deal would probably get $2.5-3 million-ish on a shorter term deal that takes him to UFA.

If he doesn't drop off and puts in an equal/better season, he's probably looking at closer to $3.5-4M.

Lou is a big believer in the 2nd contract.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:15 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohare View Post
120 games vs 420 games. LW vs C. Not really comparable. Zajac contract is much much better than the Hall one.

I think they're both good deals. A little overpay at the start but toward the mid-way point of the contracts they'll be good deals.

I have no idea how it's "much much better" than Halls, a first overall pick who's already put up more goals then Zajacs career high(in 60 games). Offense costs more then defense.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:59 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

JA#11 and his absolutely platonic friend CM Lundqvist never fail to disappoint

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:18 PM
DerekDevils30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post
I feel like depth is limited after the loss of Parise, but I feel like Gomez will end up back in NJ and by some dumb luck revives his career.

A lot of the Devils offense hinges on Elias and the defense, while they play well as a unit together, I just don't know how much value they hold individually. It depends on what kind and caliber of offensive help you're looking for.
I agree with most of this. Depth has certainly been harmed by the loss of Parise. Not only that, but Ponikarovsky signed in Winnipeg and Sykora is chilling somewhere. Elias is going to slot in on the second line most likely and will need to provide secondary scoring. They are banking on Henrique returning to form when he gets back plus improvement offensively from Josefson and even Tedenby. A healthy Zajac should help account for some of the lost goals from Parise and company. We'll see what Bobby Butler can provide...

I like the defense a lot. Not only the current pairs but some of the young guys knocking on the door. Urbom, Merrill, Gelinas, and Burlon are not far off from potentially making the jump. It's a log jam on defense and I still expect Lou to make a move for some forward help.

DerekDevils30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:05 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Somewhere around 5, I don't think he'll get much more. If he does, it's because the organization can't afford to lose their captain and a player that plays in nearly every type of situation within a game.

Could I be wrong? Sure, but Callahan won't get 8 years like Zajac did. Knowing his injury history and the fact that he plays the game harder than almost anyone in the league, his deal will be a shorter term and therefore will be lower. Also, Callahan will be older when signing that deal. The Devils signed Zajac at the exact time needed to give him a contract like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb View Post
Defensive stats have Zajac as one of the best forwards in the league. Callahan is above-average and could easily be a teams #1 center. But I would take Zajac over Callahan in a heart beat.
A team's #1 center? Just stop. It's one thing to prefer Zajac over Callahan, I could see the argument both ways, but Callahan is NOT and has NEVER been a center at any point of his hockey career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlebum View Post
I think JA is scared. Zenith already met the nadir when he faced me and FireSather lives in constant fear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
True... but isn't Callahan a free agent in the next 2 to 3 years? We just fast forwarded the process and bought out the next 5 years of free agency availablity and that right there is the main reason he got close to 6M$ per.

I'll be willing to bet my life savings that Callahan will earn roughly the same type of deal per year, if not more, then what Zajac got yesterday and everyone in Ranger land will be pleased about it.... book it.
Don't think so, Callahan's injury history and style of play, plus his age at the time that he signs his next deal will reduce his term and average cap hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
JA#11 and his absolutely platonic friend CM Lundqvist never fail to disappoint
If you're gonna talk **** about me, at least read my posts and realize that I'm not saying anything bad about the Devils.

The only thing platonic here is you and your uncanny ability to stick your foot in your mouth.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote