HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Strait (Claimed by NY Islanders)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-17-2013, 12:48 PM
  #51
OnMyOwn
Extremist
 
OnMyOwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: State College
Country: United States
Posts: 8,809
vCash: 500
Strait is ok, but I don't get what the fuss is about. He was probably hard to trade, and is a run of the mill bottom pairing guy.

OnMyOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:50 PM
  #52
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 25,846
vCash: 500
Strait might have more upside than Lovejoy but that's not the same as saying he's better *right now* than Lovejoy. Lets be clear on that.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:54 PM
  #53
gordie
Registered User
 
gordie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,981
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
Could be true. Bylsma has the tendency to fall in love with fringe players like Lovejoy and Letestu.
It was said that Bylsma was also possibly building up Megna to anyone that would listen. Noticed he was sent down today.

gordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:56 PM
  #54
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie View Post
It was said that Bylsma was also possibly building up Megna to anyone that would listen. Noticed he was sent down today.
"It was said". Is that the same as saying "In my opinion"?

Why would Bylsma be trying to pawn off a guy they signed off the street that is currently one of their only talented offensive forwards on the farm? That makes zero sense.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:57 PM
  #55
Dangles78
Registered User
 
Dangles78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 722
vCash: 500
Strait is what he is.

Losing Bortuzzo for nothing would be a much more significant loss.

Still think Strait > Lovejoy, but honestly, it's not that big of a deal. The Pens bottom pairing will be fine with/or without Strait. Still need to focus on the top-4.

There's a good chance he gets picked up. There are a lot of teams looking for depth.

Dangles78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:58 PM
  #56
jdpitt05
Registered User
 
jdpitt05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 1,865
vCash: 500
I never saw what the big deal was with Strait. He can stay or go IMO. At least if he gets picked up people can stop adding him in trade proposals, no one wants him. If he passes through waivers by tomorrow that will pretty much prove that.

jdpitt05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:01 PM
  #57
OnMyOwn
Extremist
 
OnMyOwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: State College
Country: United States
Posts: 8,809
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
"It was said". Is that the same as saying "In my opinion"?

Why would Bylsma be trying to pawn off a guy they signed off the street that is currently one of their only talented offensive forwards on the farm? That makes zero sense.
I think he means to management about keeping him on the team. Not getting rid of him.

OnMyOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:01 PM
  #58
Jag68Sid87
Registered User
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 28,042
vCash: 500
What concerns me is more about the team's philosophy. It seems they want no part of defensemen who play using the K.I.S.S. method. And THIS is exactly why our defensive play looked like a train wreck against the Flyers.

I simply cannot understand this obsession with puck-moving defensemen at the expense of stay-at-home presence. You need BOTH to be successful, and every Stanley Cup winner is proof of this. EVEN Detroit had its Andreas Lilja.

We have negligible reliability on defense. When Strait played, you felt more comfortable. I don't care about his lack of NHL experience. He kept his game simple and played safe hockey.

I have no idea what the plan is on defense, to be perfectly honest.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:02 PM
  #59
MtlPenFan
Registered User
 
MtlPenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 10,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie View Post
Dan Bylsma is still the head coach could be the answer.
Those moves are up to the GM.

I see this is going to be a long year on here, even though it's a short one.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:02 PM
  #60
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce
 
Tasty Biscuits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Strait might have more upside than Lovejoy but that's not the same as saying he's better *right now* than Lovejoy. Lets be clear on that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
Strait is ok, but I don't get what the fuss is about. He was probably hard to trade, and is a run of the mill bottom pairing guy.
These are pretty much my thoughts on the issue. That last sentence can't be stressed enough.

Tasty Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:03 PM
  #61
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,283
vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
Strait is ok, but I don't get what the fuss is about. He was probably hard to trade, and is a run of the mill bottom pairing guy.
For me, it also has to do with asset management. Strait was a former 3rd round pick. If he's claimed on waivers, that's another high pick that yielded nothing. Nick Johnson (another former 3rd round pick) was also lost to waivers last season.

It would be nice to flip these guys for either similar prospects at a different position, or at least recoup some draft picks for upcoming drafts, instead of losing former decently high picks for nothing.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:04 PM
  #62
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 42,237
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
So remind me again about this plan to stack up on defensemen because 'they are like gold in the NHL and we can always trade them for forwards'. I am sure that was the plan right? How much gold we getting for this guy? Or even loose change that fell into the couch?

This was always the flaw with this plan. And will show with all the higher defensive prospects as well. Defensemen who have established themselves have value. Prospects or guys with limited track records? You aren't getting value for.
My issue is that Strait developed about as well as a defensive defenseman as anyone could've reasonably expected since being drafted, yet here we are...a team with a ton of defensive issues, and we're waiving him over a less reliable guy in Lovejoy.

Why even bother drafting defensemen like Strait in the higher rounds if we're just going to jettison them the first chance we get - in favour of a marginal 30 year old coming off a bad year?

Regardless of whether he gets claimed or not, it seems like a curious philosophy to me.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:09 PM
  #63
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 32,348
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
My issue is that Strait developed about as well as a defensive defenseman as anyone could've reasonably expected since being drafted, yet here we are...a team with a ton of defensive issues, and we're waiving him over a less reliable guy in Lovejoy.

Why even bother drafting defensemen like Strait in the higher rounds if we're just going to jettison them the first chance we get - in favour of a marginal 30 year old coming off a bad year?

Regardless of whether he gets claimed or not, it seems like a curious philosophy to me.
I won't lose my mind either way, but I have to admit this is one hell of a post. I think this is where the frustration stems from.

Great call.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:10 PM
  #64
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
My issue is that Strait developed about as well as a defensive defenseman as anyone could've reasonably expected since being drafted, yet here we are...a team with a ton of defensive issues, and we're waiving him over a less reliable guy in Lovejoy.

Why even bother drafting defensemen like Strait in the higher rounds if we're just going to jettison them the first chance we get - in favour of a marginal 30 year old coming off a bad year?

Regardless of whether he gets claimed or not, it seems like a curious philosophy to me.
Yup that is my issue with this as well. It doesn't matter if he's just a depth dman now. We used a 3rd round pick and spent years developing him and just when it's time to reap the benefits, we put him on waivers. This is likely to continue happening in the next few years.

Plus, Strait may not be flashy but he's very dependable so he's the perfect number 6-7 guy to have. Lovejoy may be a better PMD and have more offensive instincts, but has defensive warts and takes chances that you don't want your depth guys taking (or I wouldn't). So in the scheme of things, it's not a big deal if we lose him, but it's the philosophy of it that puzzles me.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:15 PM
  #65
Dangles78
Registered User
 
Dangles78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
For me, it also has to do with asset management. Strait was a former 3rd round pick. If he's claimed on waivers, that's another high pick that yielded nothing. Nick Johnson (another former 3rd round pick) was also lost to waivers last season.

It would be nice to flip these guys for either similar prospects at a different position, or at least recoup some draft picks for upcoming drafts, instead of losing former decently high picks for nothing.
Considering that the % of players drafted in the 3rd round that actually become NHL regulars isn't all that high, I wouldn't call it a high pick.

It's a numbers game. There have been much, much better players the last couple of years (and each year) than Strait.

I think people are getting more emotionally attached with this than they should. Maybe the fact that Lovejoy is still on the team has something to do with that.

Like I said, I wouldn't be happy if Bortuzzo is lost for nothing, but Stait not so much.

Dangles78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:17 PM
  #66
IHWR
The Chiropractor
 
IHWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,390
vCash: 500
My favorite thing about this is that the same people that will defend our management for picking defensemen early in every draft are now questioning their evaluation of their own defensemen (Strait being waived over Lovejoy). In Shero we trust.

You guys are the best.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:17 PM
  #67
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 68,722
vCash: 50
Gutted that Beau Bennett was sent down as I felt he really impressed yesterday. Not surprised that Megna was sent down.

If Strait get's claimed then I wouldn't be surprised but why aren't we playing him ahead of Lovejoy?

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:20 PM
  #68
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 32,815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles78 View Post
Considering that the % of players drafted in the 3rd round that actually become NHL regulars isn't all that high, I wouldn't call it a high pick.

It's a numbers game. There have been much, much better players the last couple of years (and each year) than Strait.

I think people are getting more emotionally attached with this than they should. Maybe the fact that Lovejoy is still on the team has something to do with that.

Like I said, I wouldn't be happy if Bortuzzo is lost for nothing, but Stait not so much.
The thing is that in and of itself you are right. Many here are looking at this solely as this deal and not big picture. I am looking at that big picture more. A number of us have been openly worrying about drafting all this defense, we drafted two more with our first round picks this year, and in DP passed up more highly regarded forward talent. And we were told not to worry, we can always trade surplus defensive talent for forwards. Just look at the Goligoski deal! This has the feel of just the first shoe dropping. Not that we are going to lose Despres on waivers for nothing, or anything like that. But we are not going to get value for a few of these chips just in a sheer numbers game.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:22 PM
  #69
bigd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,744
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
My favorite thing about this is that the same people that will defend our management for picking defensemen early in every draft are now questioning their evaluation of their own defensemen (Strait being waived over Lovejoy). In Shero we trust.

You guys are the best.
Both are UFA's this summer so this is probably there last go around in the Pittsburgh org.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:27 PM
  #70
Big McLargehuge
Moderator
Buff Drinklots
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Germany
Posts: 54,120
vCash: 422
One thing to remember here folks - Ben Lovejoy still sits either 7th or 8th on the depth chart in Pittsburgh. He's not going to be a regular on that defense, so let's cut the dramatics.

I'm as annoyed that we kept Lovejoy over Strait as well, but Lovejoy isn't going to be playing 15 minutes a night...and Strait's play in the playoffs is being overblown considering he barely saw the ice.

It's not surprising that we couldn't get anything for them via trade right now...too many similar value players are being exposed to waivers simultaneously...it is more frustrating that one of them wasn't moved closer to the draft when it would have been easy to imagine one of them getting at least a 6th rounder...but let's not put too much value on a 6th round draft pick.

__________________
“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:32 PM
  #71
Gallatin
A Banksy of Goonism
 
Gallatin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
My issue is that Strait developed about as well as a defensive defenseman as anyone could've reasonably expected since being drafted, yet here we are...a team with a ton of defensive issues, and we're waiving him over a less reliable guy in Lovejoy.

Why even bother drafting defensemen like Strait in the higher rounds if we're just going to jettison them the first chance we get - in favour of a marginal 30 year old coming off a bad year?

Regardless of whether he gets claimed or not, it seems like a curious philosophy to me.
This....
Waivering Strait makes me question, just a bit, the ability of this management team to assemble another Stanley Cup winner. Clearly Lovejoy should have been the guy on waivers.

Say goodby to a solid player. Just hope he does not end up on an Eastern Playoff contender, the dude is money as a 5-6.

Gallatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:36 PM
  #72
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 25,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
Would of much rather put lovejoy on waivers. Lovejoy has no upside he will never be anything better then a number 6 def
Does anyone think realistically that the reverend could end up a better D than Strait? I don't get this one but like the man said it's not the end of the world.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:36 PM
  #73
Gallatin
A Banksy of Goonism
 
Gallatin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
My favorite thing about this is that the same people that will defend our management for picking defensemen early in every draft are now questioning their evaluation of their own defensemen (Strait being waived over Lovejoy). In Shero we trust.

You guys are the best.
Guilty as charged sir.

Gallatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:36 PM
  #74
Dangles78
Registered User
 
Dangles78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
The thing is that in and of itself you are right. Many here are looking at this solely as this deal and not big picture. I am looking at that big picture more. A number of us have been openly worrying about drafting all this defense, we drafted two more with our first round picks this year, and in DP passed up more highly regarded forward talent. And we were told not to worry, we can always trade surplus defensive talent for forwards. Just look at the Goligoski deal! This has the feel of just the first shoe dropping. Not that we are going to lose Despres on waivers for nothing, or anything like that. But we are not going to get value for a few of these chips just in a sheer numbers game.
That's the name of the game. Not every "asset" gets you a return for your club, and more importantly, this happens all the time to every single club.

Plus, the real assets are the PMD that Shero drafts. They are the real trading chips compared to more defensive-minded d-men. Those won't get you much of a return anyway until they are well established or a high-end pick, such as Tinordi for example. It's just the market right now. Almost every team is searching for a GoGo, not such much a Strait type player.

I even doubt that we'd be able to "make up for the pick" by getting a 3rd rounder for him. Just don't believe there was a market for him with the current trades happening, free agents still available, and many players hitting waivers.

I just don't see how losing Strait would dramatically affect this team now and in the future.

And if he's claimed....it makes more room for the prospects that almost everyone here wants to see get more (potential) NHL time lol.

Dangles78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:38 PM
  #75
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 25,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Gutted that Beau Bennett was sent down as I felt he really impressed yesterday. Not surprised that Megna was sent down.

If Strait get's claimed then I wouldn't be surprised but why aren't we playing him ahead of Lovejoy?
Didn't you hear Neal's comment? They're plugs. Of course they got sent down!

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.