HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

P.K Subban Thread 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2013, 01:32 PM
PricePkPatch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Pk is starting to turn the public against him. Quite selfish the way he is acting in these negos.
Yhea, sure. You can read the public's mind.

Get real; you have no idea (beside your own head) what people actually feel about it, on who's side they actually are on. Just because YOU feel some way doesn't mean the general public will.

For all we know, it's Bergevin who is losing points.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:32 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Pk is starting to turn the public against him. Quite selfish the way he is acting in these negos.
"Selfish"? How does PK owe it to anyone to sign for less than what Meehan thinks he can get? Especially after his owner just locked him out for half a season?

Old
01-17-2013, 01:35 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
"Selfish"? How does PK owe it to anyone to sign for less than what Meehan thinks he can get? Especially after his owner just locked him out for half a season?

What about the 29 other owners and 700+ players ?

Old
01-17-2013, 01:37 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Why would Subban even consider signing for less than Del Zotto when he's a first pairing defender and Del Zotto is not?
To be fair. Del Zotto is an excellent comparable. Plays similar minutes (less....but not by much). Score more points, layed more hits, blocked lots of shots as well.

A Del Zotto type deal short term is a good comparable. Only reason to go up in cap hit is to buy UFA years.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:40 PM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I think the likelyhood of either scenario is slim...

Offer sheets don't happen nearly as much as fans think given how many players are RFA's every year, it's just not a common practice.
Why are the chances slim? PK's value is high and it would make sense for a GM who thinks PK is the missing piece for their team to win it all to at least inquire about a trade, no?

Offer sheet would be bad because the picks would not be enough compensation and Bergevin would be forced to match the money offered and be very unhappy about it.

The crux of the problem is that Bergevin is not convinced that PK is the next Chelios. If he signs him long-term and PK stops progressing, we're in cap hell because there's too much money committed to Price and our D group and Bergevin will be stuck with another bad contract and unable to improve the team.

It probably feels like a big gamble from Bergevin's standpoint. But I understand where both sides are coming from.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:43 PM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post

No, Molson specifically locked Subban out.

It was all over the papers, didn't you read it???

Old
01-17-2013, 01:46 PM
cjbhab*
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I honestly think PK's just staying out of it.. he's letting his agent do his job. He's not selfish and nobody is turning against him.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:47 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbhab View Post
I honestly think PK's just staying out of it.. he's letting his agent do his job. He's not selfish and nobody is turning against him.
I'd prefer he signed right now though

Old
01-17-2013, 01:49 PM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
Yeah, I misinterpreted something there..there's a reason I'm in law school and not business school or anything else I'd need math for.

I still think it sounds like the Habs are using the MDZ contract to push Subban, and it just doesn't work.
Apparently Subban wants 2.5 as much and tripple as long as MDZ so if this is correct it does not work as well. The Subban clan is being very greedy and considering Subban is a **** stirrer in the locker room there is reason for tempered enthusiasm from MB.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:49 PM
peate
Good grief!

Quote:
I wonder, is Meehan telling Subban what he should get or is it PK's choice to ask for a long term deal. I tend to think the latter but who knows...

Old
01-17-2013, 01:57 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
You have no idea what you are talking about, don't you?

Think. In what positions we're Price and Patch when they signed their bridge contract?! No, they hadn't proved themselves back then. They have now.
Yes, yes I do know what I'm talking about. I know you want to complete your username, we all want that to happen, but what do you mean by the suggestion of a gap between Pacioretty signing his bridge contract and "now". They're the same thing. This IS his transition contract. As I said, I'd be totally fine with PK getting the same deal. How much was Patches making before this year? It was AHL-level, not transition. I am not asking for PK to get $175,000/year!

Price has proven himself. Plain and simple. He's our best player and has showed the mental temerity to be deserving of his contract. The issue of time of contracts matters. He didn't go UFA to get big money. It was all along seeing how he would do as an RFA and then (now), he gets the big contract (you do know he's been around awhile, right?)

Old
01-17-2013, 01:58 PM
cjbhab*
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
I'd prefer he signed right now though
I think we all would prefer that.. but sometimes you just have to let things play out.

PK will be back.. maybe not Saturday.. but soon.

Who are the 6 D in the lineup then for Saturday?

Markov
Gorges
Kaberle
Emelin
Diaz

Boullion?
Tinordi get a shot?
Weber?

Old
01-17-2013, 01:59 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by peate View Post
I wonder, is Meehan telling Subban what he should get or is it PK's choice to ask for a long term deal. I tend to think the latter but who knows...
I think the agents are trying to maximise the value of their RFA clients to counterbalance the recent CBA and lockout. O'Reilley, Benn and Kulikov are still unsigned.

The problem is that Meehan accepted a hell of a low deal for Del Zotto while trying to milk the Habs with the next Subban's contract. He did not serve his client (PK) well by doing that.

Old
01-17-2013, 02:02 PM
Roulin

Quote:

They aren't involved in this contract negotiation, are they? Subban is negotiating with one team, and that team's owner just ****ed him. Loyalty is no longer part of the equation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
No, Molson specifically locked Subban out.

It was all over the papers, didn't you read it???
Did Molson vote for or against the lockout? As it dragged on, did Molson say a cross word to the media about Bettman's strategy? Did he do like Ed Snyder, and leak to the media that the lockout had gone long enough?

Old
01-17-2013, 02:02 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
They aren't involved in this contract negotiation, are they?
Don't mix the lockout with the individual contract negotiations. please. It's another ball game.

Old
01-17-2013, 02:08 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Yeah, I misinterpreted something there..there's a reason I'm in law school and not business school or anything else I'd need math for.

I still think it sounds like the Habs are using the MDZ contract to push Subban, and it just doesn't work.
I've read on this forum that the major sticking point is the length of his contract rather than the $$$$.

Old
01-17-2013, 02:08 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Don't mix the lockout with the individual contract negotiations. please. It's another ball game.
No, it's the same. It's all about how a player gets paid over the course of his career. The owners just used their leverage to affect how much Subban will make. Now it's time for PK to use what leverage he has.

Old
01-17-2013, 02:10 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
They aren't involved in this contract negotiation, are they? Subban is negotiating with one team, and that team's owner just ****ed him. Loyalty is no longer part of the equation.

Did Molson vote for or against the lockout? As it dragged on, did Molson say a cross word to the media about Bettman's strategy? Did he do like Ed Snyder, and leak to the media that the lockout had gone long enough?
Don't make it too personal.

Old
01-17-2013, 02:12 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
No, it's the same. It's all about how a player gets paid over the course of his career. The owners just used their leverage to affect how much Subban will make. Now it's time for PK to use what leverage he has.
I am pretty sure the contract Bergevin is offering to Subban is similar to the one offered before the lockout. Maybe he added few $$$, but he is staying firm on the length of it. Lockout just helped Bergevin to get rid of Gomez (+ ,another fat contract down the road) . That's about it. EWith the saved cap space, they have to pay not only PK but also think about to other RFA players they gonna ave to sign next Summer.,

Old
01-17-2013, 02:13 PM
Drive425

Quote:

Funny, in an interview with PK a few days ago he stated he was totally commited to the Habs and wanted to sign long term. He also said he is not interested in any offer sheets so that tells me he most certainly is loyal.

This deal will be signed by week end because it's in the best interests of both parties.
Nobody ****ed anybody.

Old
01-17-2013, 02:17 PM
cjbhab*
Go Habs Go

Eklund - "subban and habs are getting closer"

Old
01-17-2013, 02:17 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
E-CLown strikes again !

Old
01-17-2013, 02:23 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
So Subban boarded a flight to Hawaii for vacation?

Old
01-17-2013, 02:24 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
Funny, in an interview with PK a few days ago he stated he was totally commited to the Habs and wanted to sign long term. He also said he is not interested in any offer sheets so that tells me he most certainly is loyal.

This deal will be signed by week end because it's in the best interests of both parties.
Nobody ****ed anybody.
I like your optimism, but I don't think even 10% of the people here think that'll happen. I so hope you're right, though.

As brought up previously re: using the first few games as a bargaining chip (although it's a weak one for Bergevin), it's not necessarily in everyone's best interests to sign by the end of the week. (Which is tomorrow, unless you meant after the first game...which would be colossally stupid to miss an important game and sign for whatever you were going to a few hours later).

I'm sure he's loyal, but he's doing what a player with leverage would do (and some players who are fan favourites, prime e.g., Koivu) don't use that tactic. I think we've all heard him become the Sportsnet "hockey is a business" guy, which is disappointing cuz PK made you feel like all he wanted to do was play hockey. During this lockout and even in summer, PK was ubiquitously presenting himself to the public and I'm getting a little tired of seeing his off-ice persona.

GET ON THE DAMN ICE!!!

Old
01-17-2013, 02:26 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
Yes, yes I do know what I'm talking about. I know you want to complete your username, we all want that to happen, but what do you mean by the suggestion of a gap between Pacioretty signing his bridge contract and "now". They're the same thing. This IS his transition contract. As I said, I'd be totally fine with PK getting the same deal. How much was Patches making before this year? It was AHL-level, not transition. I am not asking for PK to get $175,000/year!

Price has proven himself. Plain and simple. He's our best player and has showed the mental temerity to be deserving of his contract. The issue of time of contracts matters. He didn't go UFA to get big money. It was all along seeing how he would do as an RFA and then (now), he gets the big contract (you do know he's been around awhile, right?)
You poor dumb *******.

The contract Patch just signed is his 3rd contract. His bridge contract was 1.75M$/y, for 2 years. When he signed that bridge contract, he hadn't proved anything beyond one half season, and he just came back from a broken neck.

The contract Carey Price just signed is his 3rd contract. His bridge contract was 2.75M/y, for 2 years, When he signed that bridge contract, he hadn't proven much. He had been upstaged by Halak for a whole year and did not play in the playoffs.

Both now have signed their 3rd contract after proving themselves.

PK Subban is signing his 2nd contract now. He is in a much, much, much, much better position than Patch or Price both were when they signed their respective 2nd contract. Unless you don't understand what a ****ing "bridge contract" is and you actually think the recent signings with 67 and 31 are those.

Closed Thread