HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andreas Lilja and Brian Boucher cleared waivers (Jan. 17); Tye McGinn sent to ADR.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:49 PM
Krishna

vCash: 500
Andreas Lilja and Brian Boucher cleared waivers (Jan. 17); Tye McGinn sent to ADR.

Someone please take Lilja

--------------------

Mod edit (added CSN article):

Quote:
VOORHEES, N.J. -- The Flyers on Wednesday waived goaltender Brian Boucher and defenseman Andreas Lilja.

The move gives the team the option to send either player to the Adirondack Phantoms – something general manager Paul Holmgren said was in the plans for Boucher earlier this week. The Flyers acquired Boucher in a trade with the Carolina Hurricanes Sunday, in exchange for minor-leaguer Luke Pither.

Unlike Boucher, Lilja has participated in training camp since it opened Sunday morning. Whether he’ll start the season in the NHL or AHL is up in the air, likely pending the health of Andrej Meszaros, who tore his Achilles tendon over the summer. If Meszaros is healthy enough to start the season, Lilja will most likely head straight to Glens Falls.

With Lilja, the Flyers have eight defensemen. They will carry seven on their roster once the season starts.

Boucher will cost $50,000 against the Flyers' cap. Assistant GM Barry Hanrahan says there will be no cap hit for Lilja to go to the NHL.

Thanks to the new CBA, there are no longer re-entry waivers, so either can be recalled by the Flyers without risk.
http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...973&feedID=695

Edit the following day:

Quote:
CLARIFICATION ON LILJA: The #Flyers *will* be charged a hit for him to play in the AHL: his cap hit minus $100k, which equals $637,500 (1/2)

This, per Asst GM Hanrahan, is because Lilja had signed a multi-year deal after age 35. Lilja was sent down today by the #Flyers. (2/2)
Source: Sarah Baicker CSNPhilly ( http://twitter.com/sbaickerCSN )
-----------------------------------
January 17:

Quote:
Both Brian Boucher and Andreas Lilja cleared waivers for the #Flyers. I expect both to be sent to the #ADKPhantoms
Source: Anthony SanFilippo ‏@AnthonySan37 ( http://twitter.com/AnthonySan37 )

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 01-17-2013 at 01:56 PM. Reason: The roster moves should be separate from the Boucher trade
Krishna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:14 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Didn't he say he feels like he's in his 20's again...I expect BIG things from Lilja including "pinches" akin to those that come out of one's rearend

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:40 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
his cap hit wont count in ADK.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:48 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
his cap hit wont count in ADK.
I know.

We can weaken some teams with him going there.

Lilja please go to Pittsburgh. I hear they are having D trouble

Krishna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:49 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Why doesn't Lilja's cap count?

Did they toss the 35+ rule for hit under 900k or whatever?

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 03:04 PM
RespectTheCouts
Couts=0 offense

Noooooooo not Lilja!!!!!! I kid I kid, please someone take him

RespectTheCouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 03:15 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Why doesn't Lilja's cap count?

Did they toss the 35+ rule for hit under 900k or whatever?
Quote:
@billmeltzer: OK... so the new $900K threshold waiver rules combine with the existing over-35 rules on waivers. Makes sense. No cap hit on Lilja.
Hope that helps

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 03:26 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

the over-35 rule for retirements is still dumb and should have been removed

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:18 PM
ilovetheflyers8

I should know this I can't remember, what was the rule with cap hits and a player being picked up on waivers? Isn't the team that picks a player up only responsible for half of the hit or was that for re-entry waivers which no longer exist? If I am right does that rule still apply under the new CBA?

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:19 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
I should know this I can't remember, what was the rule with cap hits and a player being picked up on waivers? Isn't the team that picks a player up only responsible for half of the hit or was that for re-entry waivers which no longer exist? If I am right does that rule still apply under the new CBA?
no more rentry waivers. so whatever player you pick up off waivers you are responsible for the entire salary.

Old
01-17-2013, 08:07 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
no more rentry waivers. so whatever player you pick up off waivers you are responsible for the entire salary.
I thought re-entry waivers were going back into effect next season. Maybe I just made that up but I thought I read/heard that somewhere.

Old
01-17-2013, 10:10 AM
TheCerebral1
Hockey Heaven

Pretty much what I expected. I really don't know much of anything about Bruno Gervais, who I guess is our 6th defensemen. We'll find out.

TheCerebral1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:34 AM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCerebral1 View Post
Pretty much what I expected. I really don't know much of anything about Bruno Gervais, who I guess is our 6th defensemen. We'll find out.
Him and Foster are competing now I guess

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:00 PM
FlyersFan61290

just reading some tweets and Lilja's cap hit -100k will in fact stay with the big club. lots of guessing going on. many suggesting that the flyers will wait to assign lilja to phantoms to see if Mez is ready to go Saturday then i see this:

Quote:
Diana C. Nearhos ‏@dianacnearhos

I'm told that Lilja is on his way to Glens Falls and will be at Phantoms practice tomorrow.
don't know if its official or not

Old
01-17-2013, 01:36 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

well now it looks like Lilja's cap hit minus the 100k will count on the Flyers cap if he goes to ADK.

Sarah Baicker ‏@sbaickerCSN
This, per Asst GM Hanrahan, is because Lilja had signed a multi-year deal after age 35. Lilja was sent down today by the #Flyers. (2/2)

Sarah Baicker ‏@sbaickerCSN
CLARIFICATION ON LILJA: The #Flyers *will* be charged a hit for him to play in the AHL: his cap hit minus $100k, which equals $637,500 (1/2)

Bill Meltzer ‏@billmeltzer
So I was right in first place that over-35 rules takes priority over new 900K waiver rule. Frankly, made more sense the other way.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:40 PM
Ryker

These beat reporters should read the CBA and other NHL regulations themselves, so that they would know which rule takes precedence. Not guess and go by hearsay and second-hand knowledge the whole time. I really don't get how these people are paid if they can't get something as simple as that in first try and have to "clarify" later.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:54 PM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
These beat reporters should read the CBA and other NHL regulations themselves, so that they would know which rule takes precedence. Not guess and go by hearsay and second-hand knowledge the whole time. I really don't get how these people are paid if they can't get something as simple as that in first try and have to "clarify" later.
No kidding. Im not CBA expert, and havent read it, and when they said he was going down without an NHL hit against the cap, I knew right away they were wrong, and all i had to do was pay moderate attention to the dealings league wide the past 2 days.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:32 PM
Bill_Meltzer

Quote:
1) You weren't in the pressbox when it was being discussed at length over two days this week; as a hypothetical situation on Tuesday and then as a need-to-know matter yesterday. The writers knew the over-35 rule, and knew the new threshold. There was disagreed over which took precedence under the new CBA. Some of us (myself included) believed that the over-35 takes priority because the rules are explicitly unchanged per the NHL. Others said the threshold negated the rule for players making under $900K because the new waiver rules as far we know say nothing about applying "except for over-35 contracts".

2) We checked with the Flyers assistant GM whose sole function it is manage the salary cap. That is the proper step to take anyway for confirmation, even if you THINK you know the answer. He would be considered a source that ought to be able to provide the definitive answer. That's not "second-hand" info or "hearsay". It's a first-hand source.

3) When the answer came from the Flyers that there was no cap hit for Lilja, we all took that as the right information. Then the Flyers circled back later on and corrected themselves.

Hope that explains what happened.

Bill_Meltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:46 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Meltzer View Post
1) You weren't in the pressbox when it was being discussed at length over two days this week; as a hypothetical situation on Tuesday and then as a need-to-know matter yesterday. The writers knew the over-35 rule, and knew the new threshold. There was disagreed over which took precedence under the new CBA. Some of us (myself included) believed that the over-35 takes priority because the rules are explicitly unchanged per the NHL. Others said the threshold negated the rule for players making under $900K because the new waiver rules as far we know say nothing about applying "except for over-35 contracts".

2) We checked with the Flyers assistant GM whose sole function it is manage the salary cap. That is the proper step to take anyway for confirmation, even if you THINK you know the answer. He would be considered a source that ought to be able to provide the definitive answer. That's not "second-hand" info or "hearsay". It's a first-hand source.

3) When the answer came from the Flyers that there was no cap hit for Lilja, we all took that as the right information. Then the Flyers circled back later on and corrected themselves.

Hope that explains what happened.
Thanks for the explanation, I see why and where the confusion arose now. However, contacting the assistant GM, while not hearsay, is still second-hand. First hand is consulting the source yourself. But I do agree they, too, ought to know the correct interpretation.

Old
01-17-2013, 03:18 PM
CootaRoo

Quote:
However, contacting the assistant GM, while not hearsay, is still second-hand. First hand is consulting the source yourself.
What would be more first hand than the assistant GM in charge of the cap? Bettman and Fehr themselves (like they would even answer the call)? Get off the man's nuts - Bill has never been anything but a conssumate professional and continuous breath of fresh air in the Flyers reporting world.

CootaRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:19 PM
Prongo
Beer

Pretty much sounds like the Flyers need a new assistant GM to handle the salary cap. This isn't the first time he has screwed this kinda thing up.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:28 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

While the Flyers cap expert should be considered a good source, there have been mistakes in the past that make it doubtful.

01-17-2013, 03:28 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CootaRoo View Post
What would be more first hand than the assistant GM in charge of the cap? Bettman and Fehr themselves (like they would even answer the call)? Get off the man's nuts - Bill has never been anything but a conssumate professional and continuous breath of fresh air in the Flyers reporting world.
You quoted the answer. First hand is consulting the source yourself. So no, Bettman and Fehr would be no more first hand than the assistant GM.

I wasn't trying to get on his nuts and think it's a valid criticism. I also wasn't talking about him specifically, either, but since it's something I've noticed before (i.e. some beat reporters going back and forth on matters that are black or white) GFH's post spurred me to comment on it.