Notices

Goalies waived

Old
01-17-2013, 01:33 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
What the . . ? Looks like Feaster's lost his mind.

Oh, and Byron was waived as well. Good to see that 2nd round pick Feaster traded being put to good use.
So you would rather him hang on to a buy because he brought him then look objectively at the situation

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:34 PM
WhereIsIt
#gift

vCash: 50
There's no chance both of these buys gets picked up on waivers. Neither are in the plans long term anyways, since neither is better than Ramo.

This is not a big deal, no need to freak out.

Remember, a team can't just claim one of them and stick them in the farm. If they are claimed they must stay in the NHL. Tell me with a straight face that there's an NHL team out there who would look at Irving's stat line and say "Hmmm, looks like a solid backup for us this year, better pick him up!"

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:38 PM
Xelstyle

vCash: 500
Not to mention, whoever gets picked up must stay with the big club for the rest of the season. How many people are in desperate need of a backup with the quality of Irving and Karlsson? You could argue some teams might take a flyer on Irving based on potential, but most teams are looking to win games with their backups (or not lose). I feel confident both clear. If not, there's still Broissot (sp), Ramo, Gillies (sp).

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:40 PM
WhereIsIt
#gift

Yes, very true. And off the top of my head I can't think of any team that would improve their backup situation by claiming either of these guys.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:41 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixons Dad View Post
There's no chance both of these buys gets picked up on waivers. Neither are in the plans long term anyways, since neither is better than Ramo.

This is not a big deal, no need to freak out.

Remember, a team can't just claim one of them and stick them in the farm. If they are claimed they must stay in the NHL. Tell me with a straight face that there's an NHL team out there who would look at Irving's stat line and say "Hmmm, looks like a solid backup for us this year, better pick him up!"
Toronto only has Reimer as Scrivens should stay in the Ahl and gain experience.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:49 PM
WhereIsIt
#gift

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Toronto only has Reimer as Scrivens should stay in the Ahl and gain experience.
It's no secret that Toronto will be trading for a goalie very soon. If they claimed one of our guys and then traded for a goalie they would have to run with three goalies, wouldn't make any sense.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:51 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
So you would rather him hang on to a buy because he brought him then look objectively at the situation
I rather he not waste picks in the first place.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:54 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
I rather he not waste picks in the first place.
Yes but are you mad that he isn't forcing him on the team?

Old
01-17-2013, 01:55 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixons Dad View Post
It's no secret that Toronto will be trading for a goalie very soon. If they claimed one of our guys and then traded for a goalie they would have to run with three goalies, wouldn't make any sense.
People having been saying that for a while, I think they do trade for one but if the price is to high Irving could be an option to buy them time.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:58 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Well on the bright side, it looks like I might get my wish and we will see Brust get a chance haha.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:01 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1200
So if neither are claimed, would we see a revolving door of backup goalies back and forth to Abbotsford?

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:05 PM
Sean Monahan
#Moneyman

Paul Byron or Jake McCabe

Sean Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:13 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Yes but are you mad that he isn't forcing him on the team?
Of course not. He's not NHL calibre, but then again, he never was.

Feaster hasn't been GM very long and he's already thrown away a handful of picks.

Old
01-17-2013, 02:14 PM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 18821
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
I sure hope Brossiot isn't in Feaster's Immediate plans. As well as Jarry has done this season for the Oil Kings, I would feel more comfortable with him and Brossiot in net.

01-17-2013, 02:15 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Of course not. He's not NHL calibre, but then again, he never was.

Feaster hasn't been GM very long and he's already thrown away a handful of picks.
The only picks I feel he threw away was the pick for PL3 and Byron and Byron wasn't that bad considering he was tearing it up in the AHL at the time. Ward runs a very defensive system that hasn't helped him.

Old
01-17-2013, 02:26 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
The only picks I feel he threw away was the pick for PL3 and Byron and Byron wasn't that bad considering he was tearing it up in the AHL at the time. Ward runs a very defensive system that hasn't helped him.
7th for a broken Modin, a 5th for a useless Leblond, and the 2nd for a small, fringe player in Byron.

For a team like Calgary, with a below average prospect pool and aging NHL core, throwing away picks is a horrific strategy and something they simply can't afford to do if they ever want to be seriously competitive.

I will agree that Wards emphasis on defensive isn't helping things. He's a little too focused on winning at any cost, rather then developing talent, which should be his priority given the AHL is a primarily a development league.

Old
01-17-2013, 02:30 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
7th for a broken Modin, a 5th for a useless Leblond, and the 2nd for a small, fringe player in Byron.

For a team like Calgary, with a below average prospect pool and aging NHL core, throwing away picks is a horrific strategy and something they simply can't afford to do if they ever want to be seriously competitive.

I will agree that Wards emphasis on defensive isn't helping things. He's a little too focused on winning at any cost, rather then developing talent, which should be his priority given the AHL is a primarily a development league.
In hindsight, not a great use of those picks.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:48 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Head Crusher View Post
I sure hope Brossiot isn't in Feaster's Immediate plans. As well as Jarry has done this season for the Oil Kings, I would feel more comfortable with him and Brossiot in net.
Brossoit can only be recalled on an emergency basis, so no need to worry.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:49 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
In hindsight, not a great use of those picks.
Don't even need the benefit of hindsight to know those were bad trades. I recall being very critical of all three after first hearing of them.

Old
01-17-2013, 02:53 PM
BVicious

Well of all our players on waivers I wouldn't miss any of them. Both goalies....look at how many games they won for us. As far as Byron, Carson, etc. wouldn't care if they were claimed either.

Don't care. B!tch all you want about losing these goalies but that's what you get when you have one of the best goalies in the game. Period.

Now, hopefully this points to Ramo for next season, and open contract space to make some blockbusters.

BVicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:53 PM
nogger
#wemissyoubutler

Well heres hoping Feaster redeems himself if Janks and Sieloff pan out, then we can forget about PL3 for a 5th.

nogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:56 PM
Perro

Quote:
What the . . ? Looks like Feaster's lost his mind.

Oh, and Byron was waived as well. Good to see that 2nd round pick Feaster traded being put to good use.
NHL contract does not mean a 1 way. Could be a 2 way deal just incase both get claimed.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:01 PM
haQ Loob

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogger View Post
Well heres hoping Feaster redeems himself if Janks and Sieloff pan out, then we can forget about PL3 for a 5th.
I think Butter had a lot to do with picking up PL3. Didn't he have a love on for him from his time in NJ?

And didn't the second rounder in the Byron acquisition have more to do with getting Darcy Regier to take over Kotalik's contract?

Wisebroad and Feaster could probably take credit for Gaudreau (who will hopefully make it to the NHL and have success) and Baertschi (who may not have been taken by most other teams with the 13th pick in his draft year).

haQ Loob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:05 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:

I covered both of those and Modin was brought in to add some depth incase we make the playoffs I am not going to cry over it. I understand the idea of getting Byron he was having a great season in the ahl but I thought a 3rd would be enough. PL3 was a terrible trade I don't get it, but I still think if Ward opened things up we would see players like Byron do much better and learn more.

Old
01-17-2013, 03:36 PM
Feel The Heat

According to GM Jay Feaster, decision on backup goalie will be made tonight and revealed tomorrow after waiver process.

Feel The Heat is offline   Reply With Quote