HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

2012-13 NHL Center Ice/Gamecenter Discussion Part II

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2013, 02:37 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

vCash: 500
I signed up for it (FYI, you save 10% if you use Discover to purchase it, for those that don't know). I've bought Center Ice the past 4 years but after buying a tablet I wanted to give Gamecenter a try. I figure I'll try it for a shortened season then make my decision whether or not to go back to Center Ice next season.

My question: How is the connection quality of Gamecenter Live? I tried to watch some highlights for some games last season on my PS3 and quality was jumping in and out from HD, to skipping back 5-10 second (rewinding) with worse quality. I don't know if this is maybe because they're getting ready for the season or not. I have had MLB.tv the past 2 seasons and don't have a single complaint about it, it's always been stellar. I'm curious if Gamecenter Live will be able to match up.

Thanks in advance for responses. I don't know if maybe my location (NJ) might have an effect on the connection quality as well. I have FIOS too, if that helps.

Old
01-17-2013, 02:44 PM
JamboPred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Actually, adding on to what I just said. I wouldn't be surprised if after all this, they're not blacked out. I seem to remember someone in the previous thread mentioned that you can ask to be excluded from blackouts.
Hmm thats interesting, hopefully it's an option if you dont have Sky.

Old
01-17-2013, 02:44 PM
RedBruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
I signed up for it (FYI, you save 10% if you use Discover to purchase it, for those that don't know). I've bought Center Ice the past 4 years but after buying a tablet I wanted to give Gamecenter a try. I figure I'll try it for a shortened season then make my decision whether or not to go back to Center Ice next season.

My question: How is the connection quality of Gamecenter Live? I tried to watch some highlights for some games last season on my PS3 and quality was jumping in and out from HD, to skipping back 5-10 second (rewinding) with worse quality. I don't know if this is maybe because they're getting ready for the season or not. I have had MLB.tv the past 2 seasons and don't have a single complaint about it, it's always been stellar. I'm curious if Gamecenter Live will be able to match up.

Thanks in advance for responses. I don't know if maybe my location (NJ) might have an effect on the connection quality as well. I have FIOS too, if that helps.
It's not working properly on the PS3 right now. The new app hasn't even been released. I'm fairly sure it will be fixed. Last season it didn't work properly until the first day of the season, pre-season games were almost unwatchable.

Old
01-17-2013, 02:47 PM
RedBruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamboPred View Post
I think that's just been worded poorly by someone. Last season some people got blacked out accidentally due to IP issues and had to ask to be excluded from blackouts.

Old
01-17-2013, 02:48 PM
Gillumin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Kill Icing View Post
^ Many rogers subscribers are reporting getting CI for $50.00 on digitalhomes.ca I'd recommend calling Rogers again, and ask the customer rep. to check AGAIN. Tell them "My friend got it just an hour ago"
Just an update. I just called Rogers again and they were unable to offer stand alone Centre Ice even after mentioning that "a friend had received this offer today". So I guess I will be sticking with my decision to move to Bell!

Old
01-17-2013, 02:51 PM
dnlfrncs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Kill Icing View Post
^ Many rogers subscribers are reporting getting CI for $50.00 on digitalhomes.ca I'd recommend calling Rogers again, and ask the customer rep. to check AGAIN. Tell them "My friend got it just an hour ago"
I just got a twitter reply from Rogers, it is available, I wouldn't get off the phone till they give it to you.

https://twitter.com/rogers_chris/sta...92742299590656

Old
01-17-2013, 02:53 PM
dnlfrncs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillumin View Post
Just an update. I just called Rogers again and they were unable to offer stand alone Centre Ice even after mentioning that "a friend had received this offer today". So I guess I will be sticking with my decision to move to Bell!

Wow, how the heck could they be this unorganized

Old
01-17-2013, 02:53 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamboPred View Post
I'm thinking of waiting until seeing what it's like on Saturday and then trying VPN if that's blacked out.

Old
01-17-2013, 02:56 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBruin View Post
It's not working properly on the PS3 right now. The new app hasn't even been released. I'm fairly sure it will be fixed. Last season it didn't work properly until the first day of the season, pre-season games were almost unwatchable.
Yeah I caught that, but I figured I'd test it out with the highlights. I noticed when you go to ps3.com/nhl to add the code to link it to your account, the portion on the webpage to input the code isn't there. I figured they're still working on that.

Thanks for the quick response. I assume you had nearly no issues once the season started? Hopefully I get the same result.

Old
01-17-2013, 02:59 PM
leperlord
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Believe me, if I could switch back to the hassle free experience I had with Centre Ice via Bell for 6 years...I would in a heartbeat.

Sadly my fiancee has had Rogers for years and doesn't wanna change.

IMO, Rogers can suck it.
Ya they can

i got Bell for CI 50.00

And a tad off topic , Rogers cell is a nightmare too. You cant trust info
your given from anyone who answers fone there . taking an agents
advice cost me near 150.00 , i got his name and ID etc ,and was told
too bad you should read your contract . So dont trust them be it cell
or cable . Customer service can tell you anything they want and you can note it , they admitted he said that,but too bad read your contract .They also cut my cell service 2xs in a month for a broken fone i still have waiting for them to send me return packaging .i logged near 3 hours on fone today alone with them .So point being Rogers does sukk it . DONT trust them they dont give a flip once they get your pesos .

Old
01-17-2013, 02:59 PM
RedBruin

Quote:
Yeah I caught that, but I figured I'd test it out with the highlights. I noticed when you go to ps3.com/nhl to add the code to link it to your account, the portion on the webpage to input the code isn't there. I figured they're still working on that.

Thanks for the quick response. I assume you had nearly no issues once the season started? Hopefully I get the same result.
Yeah no issues most of the time. Go through my comments from the last couple of days, I've posted my opinion on quality and reliablity.

Old
01-17-2013, 03:00 PM
Smash88

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnlfrncs View Post
I just got a twitter reply from Rogers, it is available, I wouldn't get off the phone till they give it to you.

Rogers are dumb.. A few years ago I had Voice over IP phone from them. It wasn't that great so I wanted to cancel it.

When i called, the rep told me Rogers didn't offer VOIP, I had to argue with them that I was paying for it and that's what I was calling them on, after they switched to a few people they finally got me someone who was able to help me, but I found it quite comical that at least 3 or 4 employees that directly deal with customers had no clue they offered VOIP.

Old
01-17-2013, 03:01 PM
JamboPred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
I'm thinking of waiting until seeing what it's like on Saturday and then trying VPN if that's blacked out.
Yeah, looks like the only option for me as well.

Old
01-17-2013, 03:01 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBruin View Post
Yeah no issues most of the time. Go through my comments from the last couple of days, I've posted my opinion on quality and reliablity.
When I get a chance later tonight I'll do that, hopefully that answers my questions/concerns. Thanks for the help.

Old
01-17-2013, 03:09 PM
Greecian

Quote:

Last season, the connection and quality depended on which device I was using. Don't get me started on the PS3 app. That thing needs serious work. It would always change quality, jump backwards five seconds, freeze, etc. I never used my PS3 for Gamecenter last season.

I actually bought an HDMI connector for my laptop and hooked it up to my tv. The quality was great, and my feed only froze/buffered once or twice all season. It's probably what I'll do again this year if they don't sort out the problems with the PS3 app.

As far as my tablet, it runs almost perfectly on it. The quality is great, but it could be even better. Feeds never froze or stuttered on my tablet. Same goes for my phone, but that screen is just too small for my taste. The main issue with the tablet is there doesn't seem to be a way to watch replays of games. I don't know why they wouldn't include that feature.

I hope this was helpful.

Old
01-17-2013, 03:11 PM
Kaphis

For those that want to use a DNS service.

unblock-us.com supports NHL GameCenter and you can direct it to the UK so gamecenter wouldn't black out any games.

Old
01-17-2013, 03:13 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphis View Post
For those that want to use a DNS service.

unblock-us.com supports NHL GameCenter and you can direct it to the UK so gamecenter wouldn't black out any games.
This is an added price though. This is a free DNS service called Stealthy, works quite well.

http://www.stealthy.co/

Old
01-17-2013, 03:26 PM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdichado62 View Post
Also if you use a vpn be sure to use one that isn't in a country suffering from blackouts.
Such as USA, Canada, Sweden, Finland, GB and I think Norway and Denmark too.
Wait - there are GC blackouts in Finland and Sweden?? How come??

Old
01-17-2013, 03:29 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnlfrncs View Post

So since they tied me into having to get the Super Sports Pak in order to get Centre Ice, should I call Rogers back again now that I've seen this tweet and really give them hell???

Old
01-17-2013, 03:30 PM
TheStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
This is an added price though. This is a free DNS service called Stealthy, works quite well.

http://www.stealthy.co/
Just downloaded this, we'll see how it works if I have any games blacked out on me this year. I tried to test it on a couple things not available in Canada, but the IP it was using was in a country that these things were also not available. At least I know it shows my IP as being from somewhere else though (Russia)

Old
01-17-2013, 03:30 PM
Sakic
Extra B is for BYOBB

Send a message via MSN to Sakic Send a message via Yahoo to Sakic
I just ordered CI from Shaw in Calgary, $42.49 + tax. Definitely worth it being a Canucks fan!

Old
01-17-2013, 03:33 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
Just downloaded this, we'll see how it works if I have any games blacked out on me this year. I tried to test it on a couple things not available in Canada, but the IP it was using was in a country that these things were also not available. At least I know it shows my IP as being from somewhere else though (Russia)
I know a bunch of people that used it for MLB TV with no problems, so we may as well try it with GC.

Old
01-17-2013, 03:34 PM
Schenn Bros Pizza*
All-Star

I have paid the $50 and logged into gamecenter for android and I don't see how you watch past games.

Old
01-17-2013, 03:35 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Xbox 360 app should be released tomorrow right?

Old
01-17-2013, 03:51 PM
yellowtree

If the subscriptions for Gamecenter are renewed on the 21st and I sign up today, I won't have to pay the 50 bucks twice, do I?

Closed Thread