HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Darnell Nurse - Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds, OHL - (2013, 7th overall, Edmonton)

Old
01-17-2013, 02:17 PM
puckfan13

vCash: 500
Will be top 10 by the end of the year, I'd take him above Pulock and I've seen Pulock a lot. Amazing tools and absolutely love the nasty attitude.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:27 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Will be top 10 by the end of the year, I'd take him above Pulock and I've seen Pulock a lot. Amazing tools and absolutely love the nasty attitude.
I certainly see the potential with Nurse but he's still very raw. He may turn out better (which is the point of the draft after all, who turns out better), but I think Pulock is a bit more polished at the moment.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 04:54 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
I certainly see the potential with Nurse but he's still very raw. He may turn out better (which is the point of the draft after all, who turns out better), but I think Pulock is a bit more polished at the moment.
Yeah, I agree at the moment he definitely is. They are both terrific players, wouldn't be mad at either but just like the raw tools on Nurse a lot.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:58 PM
Jimbo7200

Nurse would be the perfect addition to the Wings prospect pool. A nasty, BA defenseman added to the you D corps of Smith, Oullete, and Sproul. I like it.

Jimbo7200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:14 PM
HockeySensible
NHL Says...

I love Darnell Nurse's game. Big, very mobile, physical, can contribute offensively and in transition. I'd love for Chicago to take him, but I doubt he'll be available.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:47 AM
Roo Mad Bro
Morin & Hägg

Any updates on him? Seems like he's been really rising lately.

Would love for the Flyers to grab him.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:25 AM
sniper81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post

I watched him a couple weeks ago and he was good. Had a long fight that seemed to get his team going. I think he played around 23-25 minutes and only had 2 bad decisions with the puck. My issue for him i decision making.

sniper81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:15 PM
Sundinisagod
the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post

This kid is destined to be a Flyer imho.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:21 PM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

vCash: 3333
To me, he sounds exactly the same as Duncan Siemens from 2 years ago. Big body, great skater, mean, but needing to work on his decision making and round out some things like overall passing and shot accuracy.

Wouldn't be shocked to see a team like Colorado take him as well. A top group of D consisting of Siemens, Barrie, Elliott, Johnson and Nurse isn't too shabby.

Renegade Stylings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:31 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
To me, he sounds exactly the same as Duncan Siemens from 2 years ago. Big body, great skater, mean, but needing to work on his decision making and round out some things like overall passing and shot accuracy.

Wouldn't be shocked to see a team like Colorado take him as well. A top group of D consisting of Siemens, Barrie, Elliott, Johnson and Nurse isn't too shabby.
I don't have the most viewings of Siemens, but I think Nurse is a decent bit better offensively.

Nurse seems to be progressing pretty consistently over the season in that regard too.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:00 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 50
Love this kid so much. I think he has a shot at the top 5-7. Reminds me so much of a young Chris Pronger. Maybe not as good offensively but talented and mean.

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:50 PM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I don't have the most viewings of Siemens, but I think Nurse is a decent bit better offensively.

Nurse seems to be progressing pretty consistently over the season in that regard too.
Oh, I don't doubt that he is...but I still think the comparison rings very true.

Even comparing their numbers from their draft years, they are almost identical.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:02 PM
Roo Mad Bro
Morin & Hägg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
This kid is destined to be a Flyer imho.
Would love it to happen, quite frankly.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:03 PM
Sundinisagod
the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
Love this kid so much. I think he has a shot at the top 5-7. Reminds me so much of a young Chris Pronger. Maybe not as good offensively but talented and mean.
First time I saw him play I was thinkin Pronger without the offense...but now the offense is coming around. Still a poor man's Pronger, but that's still a heck of a compliment.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:30 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Oh, I don't doubt that he is...but I still think the comparison rings very true.

Even comparing their numbers from their draft years, they are almost identical.
Ah, gotcha.

I agree, the two do look very similar.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:05 PM
Mark Edwards
First Round Scouting

We posted this interview recently as Michelle Sturino spoke to Nurse before the Soo's game in Brampton.

link

I have watched Nurse play for a few years now. He is playing his best hockey IMO. It all seemed to start last April at the U18 in Brno. It was like something clicked for him and it all came together. He was a topic at dinner post game one night with a bunch of NHL guys. I was not alone in seeing his progression.

Mark Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:57 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Quote:

Renegade, Nurse's skating has been described as excellent in all directions, as well as speed to match. I don't remember Siemens being described as such a good skater going into his draft two years ago. Was his skating really that developed going into his draft? Along with that, how has Siemens looked since being drafted? Do you think Nurse grades higher going into his draft year??

petrocelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:10 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
Yeap.......... second defenseman taken after Jones.

New York Islanders?? Reinhart Nurse

petrocelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 08:37 AM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 160
Nurse has been climbing fast, I wouldn't be suprised to see him become the consolation prize behind Jones as the number two drafted defenseman this year, if he is already not.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:32 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Edwards View Post
We posted this interview recently as Michelle Sturino spoke to Nurse before the Soo's game in Brampton.

link

I have watched Nurse play for a few years now. He is playing his best hockey IMO. It all seemed to start last April at the U18 in Brno. It was like something clicked for him and it all came together. He was a topic at dinner post game one night with a bunch of NHL guys. I was not alone in seeing his progression.
Nurse seems like a bright young man who has his head on his shoulders. Nice interview by Michelle. If given the chance I would like the Flyers to select him. However I see the Flyers picking in the 20's. So that being said, I have been on the record all year for the Flyers to select Kerby Rychel and I have not changed my mind. Mark I earmarked your site and look forward to purchasing your publications once they become available.

Thanks

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 06:14 AM
Mark Edwards
First Round Scouting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Mark I earmarked your site and look forward to purchasing your publications once they become available.

Thanks
Thanks.

Mark Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:28 AM
keppel146
We love Bacon

Is Nurse kind of a twig?

keppel146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:50 AM
sniper81

Quote:
Originally Posted by keppel146 View Post
Is Nurse kind of a twig?
Not really. Sabourin is 6'5 and an overager. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxgiBL5AUg0 He could bulk up obviously but that will come with time.

sniper81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:53 AM
Anth93

Nurse is a bit clumsy though.. Much like Tyler Myers in his draft year, the potential is there but he could also miss.

Anth93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:39 AM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
Renegade, Nurse's skating has been described as excellent in all directions, as well as speed to match. I don't remember Siemens being described as such a good skater going into his draft two years ago. Was his skating really that developed going into his draft? Along with that, how has Siemens looked since being drafted? Do you think Nurse grades higher going into his draft year??
Yes, Siemens skating was his strongest asset in his draft year...along with his physical presence. He's an elite skater for someone his size and he's know grown to over 6'4 after being 6'3 in his draft season.

Siemens has improved leaps and bounds, especially with his overall decision making with and without the puck. This year he's been tremendous since mid-November when he wasn't invited to Team Canada's camp.

I haven't seen enough of Nurse to compare the two, they just sound like very similar players and I would love to have Nurse too as an Avalanche fan.