HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

2012-13 Ongoing Waivers Thread (Chris Bourque)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-17-2013, 02:52 PM
  #351
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,909
vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixons Dad View Post
I think the Flames are confident that nobody will pick either of these guys up. Name me a team that is so bad that Karlsson or Irving would be an upgrade.
Not only that but aren't the 23 man rosters due tomorrow? So a team would also need the space to add a player.

TheHudlinator is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 03:00 PM
  #352
SephF
See you next time
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,184
vCash: 500
If Khabibulin isn't ready to start the season I would'nt be surprised if Edmonton put in a claim. They kinda need a backup goalie unless they want to screw OKC over even more and take their starter.

SephF is online now  
Old
01-17-2013, 03:01 PM
  #353
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem
 
this providence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 9,794
vCash: 500
From the Wild, I think Palmieri may get claimed. Playing very well in Houston this year and has the frame and skating to make a team think he could play on their 4th line.

If the Wild can make it work contract number wise, I think Brian Strait from the Pens makes a ton of sense both in terms of having multiple injuries on defense currently and system similarities given that Yeo and a few from this staff may have a decent read on him.

__________________

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 03:08 PM
  #354
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,850
vCash: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixons Dad View Post
I think the Flames are confident that nobody will pick either of these guys up. Name me a team that is so bad that Karlsson or Irving would be an upgrade.
Irving because he is still pretty young, I can see a team taking a chance with him.

Karlsson is a harder sell.

InfinityIggy is online now  
Old
01-17-2013, 03:10 PM
  #355
jameswrjobe53
Registered User
 
jameswrjobe53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Williamsburg VA
Country: Wake Island
Posts: 1,732
vCash: 500
Here are all the waivings since the lockout.

Jan 13
ANA Jordan Hendry, Patrick Maroon, Nate Guenin, Matt Smaby
BUF Joe Finley, David Leggio, Drew Schiestel
CBJ Cody Bass, Andrew Joudrey, Ryan Russell, Nick Drazenovic
MTL Cédrick Desjadins, Alain Berger (Mutual Termination buy-out waivers)
NSH Mike Moore,
PIT Steve McIntyre, Brad Thiessen, Jeff Zatkoff,
WPG Ben Maxwell

Jan 14
ANA Pierre-Luc Létourneau-Leblond
COL Sean Sullivan, Bryan Lerg, Bill Thomas
DAL Francis Wathier, Maxime Fortunus, Luke Gazdic, Travis Morin, Toby Peterson
DET Jordan Pearce, Francis Paré
LAK Andrew Campbell, Marc-André Cliché, Richard Clune, Thomas Hickey, Stefan Leguin, David Meckler
NYI Ty Wishart, Matt Watkins, Nathan McIver, Sean Backman
TBL Evan Oberg
PHI Matt Ford, Danny Syvret
VAN Guilliame Desbiens, Patrick Mullen
WSH Ryan Potulny, Zachery Hamill, Matt Clackson, Dany Sabourin, Patrick McNeill, Garrett Stafford, Kevin Marshall

Jan 15
BUF Mark Mancari
CGY Akim Aliu, Krys Kolanos, Joe Piskula, Ben Walter
CHI Carter Hutton
FLA Andre Deveaux, Jean-François Jacques
MIN Drew Bagnall, Brian Connelly, Chay Genoway, Carson McMillan, Jarod Palmer
NYR Sean Collins, Michael Haley, Chad Kolarik, Kris Newbury, Logan Pyett, Brandon Segal, Mike Vernace, Tommy Grant
STL Adam Cracknell, Scott Ford, TJ Hensick, Andrew Murray, Anthony Peluso, Brett Sonne, Mike McKenna
SJS Brandon Mashinter, Jon Matsumoto

Jan 16
CAR Brett Bellemore, Nicolas Blanchard, Marc-Andre Gragnani, Justin Krueger, Jerome Samson, Chris Terry, Justin Peters, Andreas Nodl, Brett Sutter.
MTL Scott Gomez (Unconditional Waivers)
NYR Wade Redden (Unconditional Waivers)
PHI Brian Boucher, Andreas Lilja,*
SJS Danny Groulx
TOR Greg Scott, Ryan Hamilton, Mike Mottau, Keith Aucoin

Jan 17

ANA Corey Elkins
BOS Jamie Tardif
BUF Adam Pardy, Kevin Porter, Nick Tarnasky,
CGY Leland Irving, Henrik Karlsson, Paul Byron, Brett Carson,
CAR Tim Wallace
COL David van der Gulik,
CBJ Nick Holden,
EDM Dane Byers, Tanner House, Alex Plante,
FLA Nolan Yonkman, Michael Caruso, James Wright, Mike Santorelli
LAK Andrew Bodnarchuk,
MIN Nick Palmieri, Jacob Dowell, Stephane Veilleux,
MTL Frederic St-Denis, Michael Blunden,
NJD Matt Anderson, Jeff Frazee, Jay Leach, Tim Sestito, Chad Wiseman, Steven Zalewski,
OTT Pat Cannone
PHX Chris Conner, Chad Johnson, Nick Johnson, Rob Klinkhammer, Joel Rechlicz,
PIT Philippe Dupuis, Brian Strait, Trevor Smith, Riley Holzapfel, Warren Peters, Dylan Reese, Alex Grant, Benn Ferriero,
STL Taylor Chorney
SJS Matt Pelech, Bracken Kearns, John McCarthy
TBL Mike Angelidis, J.T. Wyman, Kyle Wilson, Matt Taormina
TOR Tim Connolly
VAN Derek Joslin, Andrew Gordon

CLAIMS

Jan 14
NYI Joe Finley

Jan 15
NSH Richard Clune
NYI Thomas Hickey

Jan 16
WPG Anthony Peluso

Jan 17
NYI Keith Aucoin


Last edited by jameswrjobe53: 01-17-2013 at 06:11 PM.
jameswrjobe53 is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 03:18 PM
  #356
uncleben85
My face is my mask.
 
uncleben85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
AN: Corey Elkins (Might be termination waivers as he signed in Finland)
BOS: Jamie Tardif
BUF: Adam Pardy, Chris Porter, Nick Tarnasky,
CGY: Leland Irving, Henrik Karlsson, Paul Byron, Brett Carson,
CAR: Tim Wallace
COL: David Van Der Gulik,
CBJ: Nick Holden,
EDM: Dane Byers, Tanner House, Alex Plante,
FLA: Nolan Yonkman, Michael Caruso, James Wright, Mike Santorelli
LA: Andrew Bodnarchuk,
MIN: Nick Palmieri, Jacob Dowell, Stephane Veilleux,
MTL: Frederic St-Denis, Michael Blunden,
NJ: Matt Anderson, Jeff Frazee, Jay Leach, Tim Sestito, Chad Wiseman, Steven Zalewski,
OTT: Pat Cannone
PHX: Chris Conner, Chad Johnson, Nick Johnson, Rob Klinkhammer, Joel Rechlicz,
PIT: Philippe Dupuis, Brian Strait, Trevor Smith, Riley Holzapfel, Warren Peters, Dylan Reese, Alex Grant, Ben Ferriero,
STL: Taylor Chorney
SJ: Matt Pelech, Bracken Kearns, John McCarthy
TB: Mike Angelidis, J.T. Wyman, Kyle Wilson, Matt Taormina
TOR: Tim Connolly
VAN: Derek Joslin, Andrew Gordon

Everyone on waivers yesterday, save Aucoin, cleared
Damnit!!! I was so pumped when we got Aucoin this summer, and the damn Islanders needed to take that excitement away from me!

A few guys interest me on this list.
I'd take a flyer on Santorelli, Palmieri, St-Denis and Strait
And I'd even strongly consider Pelech and Angelidis

uncleben85 is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 03:35 PM
  #357
TylerSVT*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Irving is being groomed in, but he can't even cut it at the AHL level. Losing either pkayer is not even a small loss.
Dude was an AHL all star 2 years ago.

He can cut it in that league.

In fact if you look at his S% and GAA of last year minus the boston game, its surprisngly high.

NHL STATS

7GP - 1 WIN - 21 GA - 245 MINS - 218 SAVES - 3.19 GGA - .912 SV%

Not bad numbers. Not great, but decent for a backup.

TylerSVT* is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 03:37 PM
  #358
TylerSVT*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleben85 View Post
Damnit!!! I was so pumped when we got Aucoin this summer, and the damn Islanders needed to take that excitement away from me!

A few guys interest me on this list.
I'd take a flyer on Santorelli, Palmieri, St-Denis and Strait
And I'd even strongly consider Pelech and Angelidis
Pelech is horribad.

TylerSVT* is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 03:50 PM
  #359
madmike77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
Pelech is horribad.
I feel badly for the guy. 3-4 years ago he looked like he was ready to step up to the NHL but it's been one injury after another since then.

madmike77 is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 03:57 PM
  #360
Jacko95
Registered User
 
Jacko95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleben85 View Post
Damnit!!! I was so pumped when we got Aucoin this summer, and the damn Islanders needed to take that excitement away from me!

A few guys interest me on this list.
I'd take a flyer on Santorelli, Palmieri, St-Denis and Strait
And I'd even strongly consider Pelech and Angelidis
Take Wilson over Angelidis he had an impressive camp and Angelidis isn't playing that well lately

Jacko95 is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 04:13 PM
  #361
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack
 
MichiganWolverines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,660
vCash: 500
I could see a team being interested in Jake Dowell, he's a decent fourth line centre.

MichiganWolverines is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 04:18 PM
  #362
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack
 
MichiganWolverines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
Pelech is horribad.
If you're looking for a physical defenseman, then Matt Pelech wouldn't be too bad of an option (as a depth defenseman).

MichiganWolverines is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 04:29 PM
  #363
tsujimoto74
Registered User
 
tsujimoto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswrjobe53 View Post
Here are all the waivings since the lockout.

Jan 13
ANA Jordan Hendry, Patrick Maroon, Nate Guenin, Matt Smaby
BUF Joe Finley, David Leggio, Drew Schiestel
CBJ Cody Bass, Andrew Joudrey, Ryan Russell, Nick Drazenovic
MTL Cédrick Desjadins, Alain Berger (Mutual Termination buy-out waivers)
NSH Mike Moore,
PIT Steve McIntyre, Brad Thiessen, Jeff Zatkoff,
WPG Ben Maxwell

Jan 14
ANA Pierre-Luc Létourneau-Leblond
COL Sean Sullivan, Bryan Lerg, Bill Thomas
DAL Francis Wathier, Maxime Fortunus, Luke Gazdic, Travis Morin, Toby Peterson
DET Jordan Pearce, Francis Paré
LAK Andrew Campbell, Marc-André Cliché, Richard Clune, Thomas Hickey, Stefan Leguin, David Meckler
NYI Ty Wishart, Matt Watkins, Nathan McIver, Sean Backman
TBL Evan Oberg
PHI Matt Ford, Danny Syvret
VAN Guilliame Desbiens, Patrick Mullen
WSH Ryan Potulny, Zachery Hamill, Matt Clackson, Dany Sabourin, Patrick McNeill, Garrett Stafford, Kevin Marshall

Jan 15
BUF Mark Mancari
CGY Akim Aliu, Krys Kolanos, Joe Piskula, Ben Walter
CHI Carter Hutton
FLA Andre Deveaux, Jean-François Jacques
MIN Drew Bagnall, Brian Connelly, Chay Genoway, Carson McMillan, Jarod Palmer
NYR Sean Collins, Michael Haley, Chad Kolarik, Kris Newbury, Logan Pyett, Brandon Segal, Mike Vernace, Tommy Grant
STL Adam Cracknell, Scott Ford, TJ Hensick, Andrew Murray, Anthony Peluso, Brett Sonne, Mike McKenna
SJS Brandon Mashinter, Jon Matsumoto

Jan 16
CAR Brett Bellemore, Nicolas Blanchard, Marc-Andre Gragnani, Justin Krueger, Jerome Samson, Chris Terry, Justin Peters, Andreas Nodl, Brett Sutter.
MTL Scott Gomez (Accelarated Compliance Buy-out Waivers)
NYR Wade Redden (Accelarated Compliance Buy-out Waivers)
PHI Brian Boucher, Andreas Lilja,*
SJS Danny Groulx
TOR Greg Scott, Ryan Hamilton, Mike Mottau, Keith Aucoin

Jan 17

ANA Corey Elkins, Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers
BOS Jamie Tardif
BUF Adam Pardy, Kevin Porter, Nick Tarnasky,
CGY Leland Irving, Henrik Karlsson, Paul Byron, Brett Carson,
CAR Tim Wallace
COL David van der Gulik,
CBJ Nick Holden,
EDM Dane Byers, Tanner House, Alex Plante,
FLA Nolan Yonkman, Michael Caruso, James Wright, Mike Santorelli
LAK Andrew Bodnarchuk,
MIN Nick Palmieri, Jacob Dowell, Stephane Veilleux,
MTL Frederic St-Denis, Michael Blunden,
NJD Matt Anderson, Jeff Frazee, Jay Leach, Tim Sestito, Chad Wiseman, Steven Zalewski,
OTT Pat Cannone
PHX Chris Conner, Chad Johnson, Nick Johnson, Rob Klinkhammer, Joel Rechlicz,
PIT Philippe Dupuis, Brian Strait, Trevor Smith, Riley Holzapfel, Warren Peters, Dylan Reese, Alex Grant, Benn Ferriero,
STL Taylor Chorney
SJS Matt Pelech, Bracken Kearns, John McCarthy
TBL Mike Angelidis, J.T. Wyman, Kyle Wilson, Matt Taormina
TOR Tim Connolly
VAN Derek Joslin, Andrew Gordon

CLAIMS

Jan 14
NYI Joe Finley

Jan 15
NSH Richard Clune
NYI Thomas Hickey

Jan 16
WPG Anthony Peluso

Jan 17
NYI Keith Aucoin
One correction: Kevin Porter, not Chris

tsujimoto74 is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 05:47 PM
  #364
Platinum Seat Leafs
Registered User
 
Platinum Seat Leafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pickering,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
Toronto Maple Leafs should pick up Nick Palmieri would be a great guy to slot into the 3rd or 4th line

Platinum Seat Leafs is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 06:10 PM
  #365
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks
 
Rivet52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,832
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Some surprises too, specifically Connolly (I'll save it for the Connolly thread), the Flame goalies, and Aucoin (again, I'll save it for the thread already created).

I get what the Flames are doing with the goalies. I mean, take it like this. Flames know all 29 other teams have to have had their last waiver players in about three hours ago. What are the odds a team, when rosters MUST be announced tomorrow, will have the room to ride THREE goalies going in? If they had known a few days before, they could have the space to prepare but the day before? I doubt any team has enough room. It'd be burning a roster spot that could have been used for another player. Look around the League. I'd say almost every single team (aside from Toronto) has their two goalies set and correct me if I'm wrong but I don't recall any goalies being injured and not ready to go. Calgary is banking on both clearing and I wouldn't be surprised if it happens. Then, when they decide by tomorrow, one can be sent down before the roster deadline because he has already cleared. Very small chance either gets claimed judging the options other teams have. Toronto's the only one to be wary about and you have to think long and hard, would they pick either of these two over Scrivens? At this point (assuming no Luongo trade), I think Toronto goes in with Reimer and Scrivens, that's that. If the Flames didn't do it this way, they'd be forced to ride three goalies into the season, as they wouldn't meet the roster deadline attempting to waive the one who loses out on the job.

A couple interesting names though. Palmieri could be of interest (sucks if the Wild lose him so fast) and maybe Santorelli but I think there'll be more of the unexpected ones claimed and the ones we expect to be claimed will clear, as usual.

Rivet52 is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 06:11 PM
  #366
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,634
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixons Dad View Post
I think the Flames are confident that nobody will pick either of these guys up. Name me a team that is so bad that Karlsson or Irving would be an upgrade.
Ben Scrivens in TO vs these to I take either one likely.

Vitto79 is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 06:17 PM
  #367
danishh
Dat Stache
 
danishh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: mtl/ott/somewhere
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Some surprises too, specifically Connolly (I'll save it for the Connolly thread), the Flame goalies, and Aucoin (again, I'll save it for the thread already created).

I get what the Flames are doing with the goalies. I mean, take it like this. Flames know all 29 other teams have to have had their last waiver players in about three hours ago. What are the odds a team, when rosters MUST be announced tomorrow, will have the room to ride THREE goalies going in? If they had known a few days before, they could have the space to prepare but the day before? I doubt any team has enough room. It'd be burning a roster spot that could have been used for another player. Look around the League. I'd say almost every single team (aside from Toronto) has their two goalies set and correct me if I'm wrong but I don't recall any goalies being injured and not ready to go. Calgary is banking on both clearing and I wouldn't be surprised if it happens. Then, when they decide by tomorrow, one can be sent down before the roster deadline because he has already cleared. Very small chance either gets claimed judging the options other teams have. Toronto's the only one to be wary about and you have to think long and hard, would they pick either of these two over Scrivens? At this point (assuming no Luongo trade), I think Toronto goes in with Reimer and Scrivens, that's that. If the Flames didn't do it this way, they'd be forced to ride three goalies into the season, as they wouldn't meet the roster deadline attempting to waive the one who loses out on the job.

A couple interesting names though. Palmieri could be of interest (sucks if the Wild lose him so fast) and maybe Santorelli but I think there'll be more of the unexpected ones claimed and the ones we expect to be claimed will clear, as usual.
lets say team X likes karlsson/irving better than their current backup. They can claim karlsson/irving, send down a waiver exempt player (on paper) to make the roster room. If they get the flames goalie, they can waive their own backup on friday and send him down if he clears on saturday at noon, bringing the waiver exempt player back up at the same time. All before the first game starts.

Being the last day before rosters are due doesnt save the flames from a claim. If someone wants one of these guys, they'll take them.

danishh is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 06:17 PM
  #368
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,085
vCash: 500
I would love it if the Flyers picked up Karlsson

Krishna is online now  
Old
01-17-2013, 06:40 PM
  #369
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards
 
WhereIsIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,962
vCash: 1456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Ben Scrivens in TO vs these to I take either one likely.
But then they have three goalies when they inevitably end up trading for one. Reimer and Irving/HK will not cut it.

WhereIsIt is online now  
Old
01-17-2013, 07:09 PM
  #370
DarkHorse
Go Banana!
 
DarkHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 3,017
vCash: 500
I wonder if the Isles hadn't grabbed Finley if they would have brought Reese back into the fold or picked up Pelech to complete the set.

DarkHorse is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 07:56 PM
  #371
beauchamp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Laval, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
If someone claims him, he has to play in the NHL or else Wild have first right to get him back on waivers.
Do they?

What you're describing is Rule 5 waiver claims in baseball.

The Pittsburgh Pirates got Roberto Clemente from the Brooklyn Dodgers that way.

And 95% of the Boards went "What?" or "Who?"

beauchamp is online now  
Old
01-17-2013, 08:02 PM
  #372
beauchamp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Laval, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
(...)

If I'm a GM I gamble and claim Irving. I give him the opportunity to work with a decent coach, give him some playing time in either the NHL or the A and see what happens from there.
Not until he gets put on waivers and is not claimed...

beauchamp is online now  
Old
01-17-2013, 08:24 PM
  #373
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial
 
Adirondack Flames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,838
vCash: 50
I didn't get through everything but I think people are overreacting and making poor assumptions based on the Flames waiving both goaltenders.

First, waiving someone does not mean they have been cut or will be demoted for sure. It just means in 24 hours they can demote them.

Second, today the Flames scrimmage featured Irving and Kalrsson as the 2 goaltenders since Kipper was given a day off, so since they were neck and neck with no clear favorite after yesterday they needed today to decide who would be their pick, so either they had to rush their pick, put both on the opening day roster or waive both.

Third, how often are players grabbed on waivers when cuts are being made? There is a few here and there but you only get a handful every year, the odds of both being claimed are extremely slim, even the odds are against one of them being picked.

Adirondack Flames is online now  
Old
01-17-2013, 08:45 PM
  #374
dillyboy93
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 460
vCash: 500
I can see Santorelli getting claimed

dillyboy93 is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 09:53 PM
  #375
caley
Moderator
 
caley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
I didn't get through everything but I think people are overreacting and making poor assumptions based on the Flames waiving both goaltenders.

First, waiving someone does not mean they have been cut or will be demoted for sure. It just means in 24 hours they can demote them.
But it also sends the message of "We think so highly of you that anyone can have you for free if they want" which probably isn't great for a goalie's confidence, especially a back-up.

Quote:
Second, today the Flames scrimmage featured Irving and Kalrsson as the 2 goaltenders since Kipper was given a day off, so since they were neck and neck with no clear favorite after yesterday they needed today to decide who would be their pick, so either they had to rush their pick, put both on the opening day roster or waive both.
They could have actually kept both on the roster and held off signing Begin or McCarthy and that would have kept them at or under 23, especially if they put Cervenka and Hudler on PUP lists.

Quote:
Third, how often are players grabbed on waivers when cuts are being made? There is a few here and there but you only get a handful every year, the odds of both being claimed are extremely slim, even the odds are against one of them being picked.
It's true that they likely won't be picked, but what if they do? What kind of message does that send to the rest of the team? "Well, we couldn't decide which of these goalies was better, so we let the whole league have a crack at them, someone claimed Irving. So Karlsson, whom nobody wanted, is your new back-up goalie!"

I still wouldn't be surprised if Calgary signs Barry Brust or Danny Taylor before long and they become your back-up with Karlsson heading back to Sweden and Irving going down to the AHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillyboy93 View Post
I can see Santorelli getting claimed
At a $1.6 million cap hit for this year, I doubt anyone will be interested. Someone might trade for him tomorrow (Similar to the Brandon Mashinter deal earlier this week) so they're not sacrificing a roster spot/extra cash, but more likely he goes down to the AHL and signs a 2-way deal in the offseason somewhere else and tries to revive his career.

caley is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.