HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scott Gomez?

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2013, 11:05 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartZherdev View Post
It's pretty clear at this point
No. Stop right there. Nothing is clear at the moment. We have not seen him play in the NHL since last year, and he is still in the developmental phase, therefore any conclusions about his future NHL production are extremely premature.

Player development isn't limited to "well, his stats and ice time keep going up, until he switches leagues and he starts back up at the bottom". It's not that simple. These are people we're dealing with, and people learn in different ways.

Personally, I suspect (but cannot prove, obviously) that if Johan was just told "go out and do whatever" on AHL ice, he could probably perform above a point per game. But that's not what he's been working on and that's not what the coaching staff has been telling him to do. He's being told to focus more on defensive duties, and there's a learning process behind that. Defensive work in juniors would have been a complete waste of time. Seeing how folks react to situations and then practicing building similar habits is significantly more valuable. It does nothing to keep getting more and more ice time if you're not doing anything useful with it.

Seriously, this "big minutes at lower levels" Is Somehow Always Better Than "reduced minutes at higher levels" thing is starting to really get to me. It's become as much of an idiotic myth as the HFBoards standard of Undrafted Prospect>Drafted Prospect>Young Player>Veteran.

Is it better for Johan to be in the AHL at this point? It very well could be. But the justifications for same being tossed around right now are pretty embarrassingly shallow-minded.

Old
01-17-2013, 11:06 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

“@TSNBobMcKenzie: Wade Redden and Scott Gomez clear unconditional waivers. Can now be bought out.”

01-17-2013, 11:11 AM
IHeartZherdev*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
No. Stop right there. Nothing is clear at the moment. We have not seen him play in the NHL since last year, and he is still in the developmental phase, therefore any conclusions about his future NHL production are extremely premature.

Player development isn't limited to "well, his stats and ice time keep going up, until he switches leagues and he starts back up at the bottom". It's not that simple. These are people we're dealing with, and people learn in different ways.

Personally, I suspect (but cannot prove, obviously) that if Johan was just told "go out and do whatever" on AHL ice, he could probably perform above a point per game. But that's not what he's been working on and that's not what the coaching staff has been telling him to do. He's being told to focus more on defensive duties, and there's a learning process behind that. Defensive work in juniors would have been a complete waste of time. Seeing how folks react to situations and then practicing building similar habits is significantly more valuable. It does nothing to keep getting more and more ice time if you're not doing anything useful with it.

Seriously, this "big minutes at lower levels" Is Somehow Always Better Than "reduced minutes at higher levels" thing is starting to really get to me. It's become as much of an idiotic myth as the HFBoards standard of Undrafted Prospect>Drafted Prospect>Young Player>Veteran.
"conclusions about his future NHL production are extremely premature?"

who came to any conclusions about his NHL future? Where did you get the idea that I said Johansen was a "bust?" What are you talking about?

Old
01-17-2013, 11:51 AM
IHeartZherdev*

Tim Connally also waiver ... he was another guy linked to CBJ rumors awhile back

Old
01-17-2013, 12:37 PM
bizzz*

So many complains about Johansen's treatment last year and no one cares that Moore was given the same pass. He played 7-10 minutes a night, looked exhausted most of the nights, had the worst +/- playing sheltered minutes, scored 1 point in half a year, but still no one came up with the idea that he has to be sent down.
Looks like the both kids just made the team and look good enough to play in the NHL for Mr.Davidson.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:42 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Tim Connally also waiver ... he was another guy linked to CBJ rumors awhile back
Only on the trade board, and only by Leafs fans.

Connolly was the C in "LACK", for the four junk players they tried to foist on everyone in every thread. Lombardi, Armstrong, Connolly, Komisarek.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:55 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
"conclusions about his future NHL production are extremely premature?"

who came to any conclusions about his NHL future? Where did you get the idea that I said Johansen was a "bust?" What are you talking about?
You've spent most of your time in this thread suggesting that his development has been seriously torpedoed, which is usually the precursor to "well, that's why he ultimately failed", and that this is a thing that must not happen with Jenner or else Vauge Undefined BAD THINGS Will Happen.

Previously, the preferred term for this sort of thing was to be "Brule'd". Now, apparently per your recommendation, it is "Johansen'd". He's now being held up as an example of "Don't Do This, Or Jenner Will, G-d Forbid, End Up Like JOHANSEN Did!"

What kind of conclusions do you think are going to be drawn from that?

I'll grant that that may have not been your intention, but that sure as heck was what was communicated.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:56 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Only on the trade board, and only by Leafs fans.

Connolly was the C in "LACK", for the four junk players they tried to foist on everyone in every thread. Lombardi, Armstrong, Connolly, Komisarek.
There was speculated possibility of us picking him up ages ago when he was still in Buffalo. I don't recall who was responsible for inventing that one; it might have been Portzline, but I hesitate to accuse him without a link to demonstrate it.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:04 PM
IHeartZherdev*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
There was speculated possibility of us picking him up ages ago when he was still in Buffalo. I don't recall who was responsible for inventing that one; it might have been Portzline, but I hesitate to accuse him without a link to demonstrate it.
Yeah I remember reading the Jackets supposedly being interested in him from Buffalo after Brassard got hurt...Mayor Bee, I certainly know better than to listen to Leafs fans.

I enjoy Leafs fans very much...
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1322745

Last edited by IHeartZherdev*: 01-17-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old
01-17-2013, 02:00 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Yeah I remember reading the Jackets supposedly being interested in him from Buffalo after Brassard got hurt...Mayor Bee, I certainly know better than to listen to Leafs fans.

I enjoy Leafs fans very much...
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1322745
So you started a thread with ill intent, then offered a feeble plea of innocence about how that wasn't the intent when it clearly was.

I've taught you well.

Old
01-17-2013, 02:19 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 50
So that's that.

Closed Thread