HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Center Ice/Game Center Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-17-2013, 01:55 PM
  #51
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!
 
IceAce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 3,012
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
Speaking of android, the new app came out yesterday and I downloaded it. To go off my post above that I'm sure nobody saw, I logged in and the GCL service said it was "purchased". I'm confused because I haven't paid for anything. I looked at my bank account to see if it auto payed but didn't see a transaction. I wonder if my subscription from last year has anything to do with it. Anybody know?
Not sure how Android works exactly but on mine billed directly to my iTunes account when I bought it for the iPad. Did you check your billed items on the Android Market or whatever its called?

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:26 PM
  #52
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
You should be able to watch the games once you leave the black out restricted area for example when you travel to LA you'll be able to get all NY games but the Ducks/Kings will be blacked out. I don't get it to watch Islanders games I just like watching hockey so when I get home from work late the west coast games are just starting.


Thanks Bunk, one more question, is it ALWAYS $50 a year ? Or is that a discounted price because of the shortened schedule. I have a Roku, Nexus 7 and an iPhone, so it would be cool, but, with local teams, the games on "VS" or NBC Sports or whatever it's called, and the games on The NHL Network. I think I don't need this. I love watching hockey as well, but there is tons of hockey on the networks in NYC.

scott99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:43 PM
  #53
13th Floor
Registered User
 
13th Floor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Thanks Bunk, one more question, is it ALWAYS $50 a year ? Or is that a discounted price because of the shortened schedule. I have a Roku, Nexus 7 and an iPhone, so it would be cool, but, with local teams, the games on "VS" or NBC Sports or whatever it's called, and the games on The NHL Network. I think I don't need this. I love watching hockey as well, but there is tons of hockey on the networks in NYC.
It is discounted because of the shortened season. If I recall correctly, I believe in a full season you can buy it up front for full price, but at some point half way through the season, they offer it for the remainder of the season at half price.

I'm out of market, so I get it to watch and record Islanders games. I never got it when in NY for reasons you said. Between the 3 local teams and the games on national TV, there's more hockey on than I could watch. Another thing to think about (although this doesn't currently affect the Islanders, but would affect a team like the Rangers), is even if you are out of market, it is worth it to check the team's national schedule. If you lived in say, Philadelphia and were a Rangers fan, GCL/CI may not be worth it because of the 5 or 6 games against the Flyers that would be blacked out, and then all of the games on national TV that the Rangers get that would be blacked out on GCL/CI and you could watch without it anyway. You would be paying to watch only half of the games. Just another wrinkle in the decision...

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:46 PM
  #54
StumpNYI
Registered User
 
StumpNYI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
Not sure how Android works exactly but on mine billed directly to my iTunes account when I bought it for the iPad. Did you check your billed items on the Android Market or whatever its called?
I think my original payment method would be what it charges. I don't having anything linked to my google wallet so I would hope that isn't the case lol. I think what Bunk said may be correct. Just have to wait and see if it charges on the 21st or 22nd. Luckily center ice is free for the week so I shouldn't miss anything if there are issues with my account. Thanks for the advice.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:54 PM
  #55
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Floor View Post
It is discounted because of the shortened season. If I recall correctly, I believe in a full season you can buy it up front for full price, but at some point half way through the season, they offer it for the remainder of the season at half price.

I'm out of market, so I get it to watch and record Islanders games. I never got it when in NY for reasons you said. Between the 3 local teams and the games on national TV, there's more hockey on than I could watch. Another thing to think about (although this doesn't currently affect the Islanders, but would affect a team like the Rangers), is even if you are out of market, it is worth it to check the team's national schedule. If you lived in say, Philadelphia and were a Rangers fan, GCL/CI may not be worth it because of the 5 or 6 games against the Flyers that would be blacked out, and then all of the games on national TV that the Rangers get that would be blacked out on GCL/CI and you could watch without it anyway. You would be paying to watch only half of the games. Just another wrinkle in the decision...
So it's usually closer to the price of NHL Center Ice ? That would make sense, similar service, except with more functions and more mobile.

scott99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:00 PM
  #56
13th Floor
Registered User
 
13th Floor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
So it's usually closer to the price of NHL Center Ice ? That would make sense, similar service, except with more functions and more mobile.
Yea I believe it was $169 for GCL last year.

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:02 PM
  #57
LAIslanderFan
Registered User
 
LAIslanderFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
Good point...oops lol



I swear people just skip over my posts unless I make a math mistake ^. Yes, you can watch on any compatible device (iPhone/Andriod phones or tablets, xbox/ps3, and pretty much any device that has internet access)

Speaking of android, the new app came out yesterday and I downloaded it. To go off my post above that I'm sure nobody saw, I logged in and the GCL service said it was "purchased". I'm confused because I haven't paid for anything. I looked at my bank account to see if it auto payed but didn't see a transaction. I wonder if my subscription from last year has anything to do with it. Anybody know?
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear in my question. What I mean by getting Gamecenter on my computer and iPhone, is if I pay the Gamecenter fee, will one fee allow me to get it on both devices. Can I watch Gamecenter on my computer, then if I go out, continue to watch it on my iPhone? Or does one fee, mean I have to choose one device?

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:10 PM
  #58
StumpNYI
Registered User
 
StumpNYI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear in my question. What I mean by getting Gamecenter on my computer and iPhone, is if I pay the Gamecenter fee, will one fee allow me to get it on both devices. Can I watch Gamecenter on my computer, then if I go out, continue to watch it on my iPhone? Or does one fee, mean I have to choose one device?
Oh gotcha. Just pay the $50 and you can watch on any and all devices for the one subscription fee. The apps are free. You can only be logged into one device at a time though.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:49 PM
  #59
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Floor View Post
Yea I believe it was $169 for GCL last year.
That's quite a deal then, a full season is $170, yet this season is a little more than 1/2 a season, yet the price is less than 1/3 the price of a full season. I might try it just for fun, $50 isn't too bad for more than half a season, I know I have a couple of trips planned during the season, might be worth it to be able to watch the Isles while I'm on the road. Also you can split the payments into two $25 payments. Do they do that normally ? Do they allow you to split it up ? Or you have to pay $169 in one shot.

scott99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 04:28 PM
  #60
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!
 
Twine Seeking Missle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Suck-town
Country: United States
Posts: 7,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Thanks Bunk, one more question, is it ALWAYS $50 a year ? Or is that a discounted price because of the shortened schedule. I have a Roku, Nexus 7 and an iPhone, so it would be cool, but, with local teams, the games on "VS" or NBC Sports or whatever it's called, and the games on The NHL Network. I think I don't need this. I love watching hockey as well, but there is tons of hockey on the networks in NYC.
True... but... if you ever want to watch a game that DOESN'T involve the Pens, Bruins, Flyers, Caps or Wings you will be out of luck. Seriously... that's all the networks show.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 04:34 PM
  #61
MTK
Registered User
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: West Islip
Country: Iceland
Posts: 2,293
vCash: 500
I get both each year. Its worth it at the full price but for a total of $100 this year is a no brainer.

I get it on Cablevision and on my ipad/iphone.

Before last year, you use to get playoffs with CI but NBC shows all the playoff games now.

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:45 PM
  #62
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,641
vCash: 500
Technology is freakin amazing. I've been watching hockey since 1975, and now you can watch LIVE games on your phone, tablet, laptop, gaming system hooked up to your TV, Roku or some other streaming box hooked up to your TV. Jeez, who ever saw this coming 30 years ago. 33 years ago I was watching the Isles play on my 15" black and white TV on channel 9 instead of studying for my English Regents test, lol.

scott99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:01 PM
  #63
StumpNYI
Registered User
 
StumpNYI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Technology is freakin amazing. I've been watching hockey since 1975, and now you can watch LIVE games on your phone, tablet, laptop, gaming system hooked up to your TV, Roku or some other streaming box hooked up to your TV. Jeez, who ever saw this coming 30 years ago. 33 years ago I was watching the Isles play on my 15" black and white TV on channel 9 instead of studying for my English Regents test, lol.
Watching them win a cup on a 15" b&w sure beats watching them lose on 20 different screens. At least you have that.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:19 PM
  #64
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
Watching them win a cup on a 15" b&w sure beats watching them lose on 20 different screens. At least you have that.
Ain't it the truth. I was 17 back then, and I actually got my Dad into hockey, so sometimes I talked him into watching the games on the color console TV, what a treat that was lol. I'm a technology geek, so I love all the stuff that is happening today. It's awesome to have powerful things like tablets, where you can watch all types of TV (Watch ESPN is a great app too), read all your books, magazines, play games, just amazing. The iPhone is an amazing product too, I've had one since 2007 (different versions).

I'm definitely gonna get this Game Center Live this year, for $50, what a deal. Next year I stick with what I currently have on Optimum. $170 would be worth it if I didn't live in NY.

scott99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:39 PM
  #65
Isles Maineac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Gorham, ME
Posts: 19
vCash: 500
Just moved from LI to Maine (Bruin country), and I'm thrilled to know that I can catch the Isles on NHL Center Ice for $50 this season, even if Howie and Butch will likely not be my commentators for most games. Of the 45 games the Islanders are not playing the B's this season,does anyone know approximately how many will actually be shown on NHL Center Ice, and will any be in HD?

Isles Maineac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:43 PM
  #66
StumpNYI
Registered User
 
StumpNYI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Ain't it the truth. I was 17 back then, and I actually got my Dad into hockey, so sometimes I talked him into watching the games on the color console TV, what a treat that was lol. I'm a technology geek, so I love all the stuff that is happening today. It's awesome to have powerful things like tablets, where you can watch all types of TV (Watch ESPN is a great app too), read all your books, magazines, play games, just amazing. The iPhone is an amazing product too, I've had one since 2007 (different versions).

I'm definitely gonna get this Game Center Live this year, for $50, what a deal. Next year I stick with what I currently have on Optimum. $170 would be worth it if I didn't live in NY.
It really is a great service. Especially for the current price. You wont regret it. Maybe one day I can at least watch them win a playoff series on one of these devices.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:50 PM
  #67
13th Floor
Registered User
 
13th Floor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Ain't it the truth. I was 17 back then, and I actually got my Dad into hockey, so sometimes I talked him into watching the games on the color console TV, what a treat that was lol. I'm a technology geek, so I love all the stuff that is happening today. It's awesome to have powerful things like tablets, where you can watch all types of TV (Watch ESPN is a great app too), read all your books, magazines, play games, just amazing. The iPhone is an amazing product too, I've had one since 2007 (different versions).

I'm definitely gonna get this Game Center Live this year, for $50, what a deal. Next year I stick with what I currently have on Optimum. $170 would be worth it if I didn't live in NY.
Definitely true and I've been back and forth on GCL vs CI for a while now.

On the one hand, CI is great for being at home because I will get it on every TV, home and away feeds (I like watching from a different perspective from time to time), in HD, and workable with my DVR. Adding in the little red button on Direct TV, I can flip through game scores and quickly switch to games that are interesting. If you couple this offering with a Slingbox, you have the ultimate package because now you can watch from all your devices.

GCL is great because you have the ability to watch from any device anywhere. And now that you can easily plug an HDMI cable from your laptop into your TV, you can watch GCL on your big screen. The only downfall I've found with GCL (granted I haven't used in a few years), is that you are subject to internet speeds. So, if it is a peak time, or you have a slow internet (all you DSL folks), or live in a crowded area that limits bandwidth, it can cause a choppy feed.

So, I've always gone with CI as the better option. And if you get Slingbox as well, you really have the best of both worlds. Unless I am missing something that GCL offers.

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:57 PM
  #68
StumpNYI
Registered User
 
StumpNYI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Maineac View Post
Just moved from LI to Maine (Bruin country), and I'm thrilled to know that I can catch the Isles on NHL Center Ice for $50 this season, even if Howie and Butch will likely not be my commentators for most games. Of the 45 games the Islanders are not playing the B's this season,does anyone know approximately how many will actually be shown on NHL Center Ice, and will any be in HD?
Welcome. What part of Maine? I lived there a few years myself.

One thing that is overlooked about GCL is you can choose between home and away feeds so you can see Howie and Butch every night. Center ice usually only has one random feed.

The Isles play the Bruins on the 25th, FEB 26, and April 11th. Those three games will be blacked-out for you most likely. You should be able to see every other game though. Of course that depends on your tv service provider. But with comcast here, I saw every game except the caps, which I had to watch on the local channels.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 08:13 PM
  #69
Bunk Moreland
Moderator
 
Bunk Moreland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 13,040
vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
True... but... if you ever want to watch a game that DOESN'T involve the Pens, Bruins, Flyers, Caps or Wings you will be out of luck. Seriously... that's all the networks show.
Yeah pretty much and I also work nights so I'm stuck listening on the radio to the Isles games for the most part and when I come in the door at 10pm I can grab some grub and a beer and sit down and watch the west coast games starting.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 08:51 PM
  #70
Isles Maineac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Gorham, ME
Posts: 19
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
Welcome. What part of Maine? I lived there a few years myself.

One thing that is overlooked about GCL is you can choose between home and away feeds so you can see Howie and Butch every night. Center ice usually only has one random feed.

The Isles play the Bruins on the 25th, FEB 26, and April 11th. Those three games will be blacked-out for you most likely. You should be able to see every other game though. Of course that depends on your tv service provider. But with comcast here, I saw every game except the caps, which I had to watch on the local channels.

Thanks for the info. I will be so happy if I can get the Isles hometown feed. BTW, I am in Gorham, right outside Portland...Definitely a change of pace from LI, but it is beautiful (and actually affordable) here. I do miss the LI pizza and bagels, but I'll survive.

Isles Maineac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:46 PM
  #71
StumpNYI
Registered User
 
StumpNYI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Maineac View Post
Thanks for the info. I will be so happy if I can get the Isles hometown feed. BTW, I am in Gorham, right outside Portland...Definitely a change of pace from LI, but it is beautiful (and actually affordable) here. I do miss the LI pizza and bagels, but I'll survive.
I lived in the next town over in Windham. I know what you mean about the bagels and pizza. I'm from LI as well. I would recommend something but I don't remember ever finding a place in the area that could quite live up to the standards of New York food but that was 7 years ago. Not much in the small towns. Portland's probably your best bet. I loved it there and miss it. My fiance is from there and she is itching to go back.

Thank God for center ice and GCL. The only thing I would warn people about if they get gamecenter live is make sure you have a decent internet connection. The streams do get choppy even for "high speed" connections. One thing you don't have to worry about with center ice.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:01 PM
  #72
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Maineac View Post
Thanks for the info. I will be so happy if I can get the Isles hometown feed. BTW, I am in Gorham, right outside Portland...Definitely a change of pace from LI, but it is beautiful (and actually affordable) here. I do miss the LI pizza and bagels, but I'll survive.
Oh man, the bagels.

I actually miss garlic knots the most. Up here in Boston, I get blank stares when I mention them. They just don't know.

I've been a Center Ice person for the last several years, but all this talk of GCL has me very interested. I just might have to switch.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:21 AM
  #73
bandit2804
Registered User
 
bandit2804's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: somewherecold
Posts: 12
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
I lived in the next town over in Windham. I know what you mean about the bagels and pizza. I'm from LI as well. I would recommend something but I don't remember ever finding a place in the area that could quite live up to the standards of New York food but that was 7 years ago. Not much in the small towns. Portland's probably your best bet. I loved it there and miss it. My fiance is from there and she is itching to go back.

Thank God for center ice and GCL. The only thing I would warn people about if they get gamecenter live is make sure you have a decent internet connection. The streams do get choppy even for "high speed" connections. One thing you don't have to worry about with center ice.
has any one seen an app released for either the roku or xbox 360 for the up coming 2013 season

bandit2804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:35 AM
  #74
steveat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,811
vCash: 500
ATTN:

For those that had a subscription to NHL Gamecenter LIVE last year. You are NOW able to log in and pay for your subscription! The cost is $49.99 or 2 x $24.99.

Though I am not sure if everyone else can do that? The reason is because the CC on file is an old one and obviously, the system couldn't renew. That might have prompted the buttons to say "pay now".

Can anyone else confirm that what I am seeing is what everyone else is seeing?

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:20 AM
  #75
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
ATTN:

For those that had a subscription to NHL Gamecenter LIVE last year. You are NOW able to log in and pay for your subscription! The cost is $49.99 or 2 x $24.99.

Though I am not sure if everyone else can do that? The reason is because the CC on file is an old one and obviously, the system couldn't renew. That might have prompted the buttons to say "pay now".

Can anyone else confirm that what I am seeing is what everyone else is seeing?
This is what I see too!

The question is, will someone who had it last year be automatically renewed, as was mentioned above, or do we (even if we have an account) need to click on the offers now.

I don't wanna pay double, so to speak.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.