HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The All-Purpose Bryz/Goaltending Thread #7

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2013, 02:55 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post

I also do not understand the folks that bash him already for the games he has not played yet. Like it or not, he is a goalie of the year. And if he earned a benefit of a doubt from the coaches and management, he deserves one from us.
why ? because they want to be able to say "i told you so, he stinks".

to the extreme that some here are ROOTING for Bryz to fail.

Old
01-17-2013, 03:05 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
why ? because they want to be able to say "i told you so, he stinks".

to the extreme that some here are ROOTING for Bryz to fail.

ok you keep saying this both so far this year and ALL of last year..

give me some posts that show people here are actualy saying they "WANT HIM TO FAIL"

i can only think of maybe 1-2 people here who actualy say that..

your just taking any person who says anything bad about Bruyz and turning it around to say they are actualy ROOTING for him to play ****..

Old
01-17-2013, 03:08 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I also think a consistent and healthy set of D-men in front of him will do him good as well. How many different D-men did we go with last year?

Just looked it up, we had 12 different D-men play last season.

Old
01-17-2013, 03:13 PM
viperswhip

Bryz is a pretty cool guy and I would like him to do well. Unfortunately he is, like Luongo, the worst kind of goalie. So good they get your hopes up and then choke out 6 or 7 goals once or twice per series.

I hope he can play well, I want the kids in Philly to win a cup. The series between them and the Pens last year. I want that **** on DVD, it was the most fun I've ever had watching hockey.

Old
01-17-2013, 03:16 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post

give me some posts that show people here are actually saying they "WANT HIM TO FAIL"

i can only think of maybe 1-2 people here who actually say that..
you don't me to prove to you what you already know to be true. there are some people here openly hoping he fails.

Old
01-17-2013, 03:21 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
you don't me to prove to you what you already know to be true. there are some people here openly hoping he fails.
Yeah, like one or two people. Like he said.

01-17-2013, 03:55 PM
CanadianFlyersFan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
I'll answer this in helter skelter fashion:

Briere is on the verge of getting eaten alive, and it began last year. Mez earns his cap hit when he's healthy, Timonen DEFINITELY earns his. Bryz wasn't. It still remains true that it's far easier to cover for a struggling skater than it is a struggling goalie.

March was our worst month defensively because our team was depleted by injuries. That's why that month is so impressive; he finally stepped up in a big way when the team really needed it.

You answered your own question about 09-10: we don't have those personnel anymore. It's one thing to say "just go do those things!" and another thing entirely to actually do them. We no longer have a team that can babysit a goalie if babysitting is required.

Bryzgalov wasn't seeing more scoring chances against than many other goalies in the league. If you watched games around the NHL, a hell of a lot of guys saw a lot of the same things. They almost all did a better job stopping those chances than Bryz. Jan-Feb were an improvement, but he still looked really shaky at times and he was still vacillating between "hey, that was good!" and "Wow that was terrible."

As for Bob? If he had the endurance to play well past early January I think he could have been decently successful. But that's an "if." He's shown the last two years that he just wears out...I'm not sure if it's physical, so much as mental. Maybe he overworks himself.
Bryz, Bob, Bouch, Leighton, Scobby Doo, Bernie Parent, It doesn't matter who it is they aren't going to be successful in a system that sets them. Mez at Four million is like Carle at 5, hard to say if its worth it but hell if your complaining about cap hits, thats one that doesn't always earns his. Kimmo, great player, love him to death.. is he a 6.3 million dollar player, depends on what your focusing on because at 6.3 I want a guy who can totally anchor my D-core and I don't think Kimmo is capable of doing that for an extended amount of time. Heres the deal, this team can very well "baby-sit" whoever ends up in net, last year they had a lot of young guys who weren't full committed to the system. But what LA has done with Sutter focusing on Hard-nose dump and chase hockey along with John Stevens defence is remarkable. The Flyers team of 09-10 did those exact things and came 1 fluke away from making it to game 7 with the same system. But with this system comes a lot of netural zone turn-overs, odd-man rushes and times that leave goalies out to dry. When the system is successful, you get what happened in March. You can say Bryz stepped up but you don't get 3 or 4 shutouts in a month without playing as a team. When the team plays hard goal line to goal line, doing the little things to make everyone better its a hard team to beat. Bryz has consistency issues, but I'd dare say so did everyone not named Giroux or Coots. Furthermore it's hard to cover for a struggling goalie, I get that but the Flyers overall play in the defensive zone didn't help Bryz get any better. The fact is, its rather troubling that this team can go from a solid March where they played their best team hockey to a first Round barnburner; stuff like that doesn't help a goalie progress nor does it help him mentally.

Old
01-17-2013, 04:16 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
Yeah, like one or two people. Like he said.
Exactly. I think there were only 2 people here that actually want him to fail. I think it's because he disappointed them last season. I guess as crazy as it sounds, it's as crazy as the few people who ACTUALLY thought he was good last season and blame it on the defense every single game where he does bad.

Old
01-17-2013, 04:22 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Exactly. I think there were only 2 people here that actually want him to fail. I think it's because he disappointed them last season. I guess as crazy as it sounds, it's as crazy as the few people who ACTUALLY thought he was good last season and blame it on the defense every single game where he does bad.
People are very gun shy about him and are preparing themselves for the worst. If he fails we are really screwed because it means Leighton and Boosh.

Old
01-17-2013, 04:27 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
there are also a number of people who put Bryz down, no matter what.
even during March, we saw several here say "good game, but ..."

my view on last year was: a good 1st few games, followed by poor play & the HBO circus, started January off well, improved play, less talking, a good February, stellar March, less talking, fair series vs Pitt & great series vs NJ

over all, he needs to play better than last year with no media circus. improved TEAM D would help a lot.

i remain optimistic & hope for his career avg numbers, if not a bit better.

Old
01-17-2013, 07:14 PM
spudnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post

i wholeheartedly believe that bryz can and will be an above average goaltender again (top 15) in the near future. just my thoughts on the subject
Unacceptable, 5.6 per for 7.5 more years is elite money top 5 not top 15. This is why he needs to be bought out, ubsurd contract for a middle of the pack goaltender.

Old
01-17-2013, 07:17 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

he looked sharp @ practice

Old
01-17-2013, 07:57 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudnick View Post
Unacceptable, 5.6 per for 7.5 more years is elite money top 5 not top 15. This is why he needs to be bought out, ubsurd contract for a middle of the pack goaltender.
How much would you give him?

Old
01-17-2013, 08:32 PM
spudnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
How much would you give him?
3/3.5 at the most, and Definately not for 9 frigging years.

Old
01-17-2013, 08:34 PM
flyersfan018

vCash: 50
Quote:
3/3.5 at the most, and Definately not for 9 frigging years.

Old
01-17-2013, 08:40 PM
spudnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan018 View Post
What, you saying he's a 5.6 mil goalie? Why don't you poll it in the Genenal discussion forum for everyone, see how many facepalms you get.

Old
01-17-2013, 08:49 PM
flyersfan018

vCash: 50
Quote:
What, you saying he's a 5.6 mil goalie? Why don't you poll it in the Genenal discussion forum for everyone, see how many facepalms you get.
These are the 11 teams that are paying their top goalie less than $3.5M: Chicago, Colorado, Columbus, Detroit, Florida, LA*, Ottawa, Phoenix, Tampa Bay, Toronto, Washington.

You really believe Bryz belongs in a class with Reimer, Lindback, Theodore, Mason, etc.? You pay a good goalie good money. It's as simple as that. The fact that you think Bryzgalov is worth the 3-3.5 range is laughable.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:23 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
who cares about what he's paid. paying him less won't solve the problem.

Bryz playing better will. period. he needs to play better / closer to March 2012.

no reason he cant do it.

better TEAM D will help.
i'm optimistic

Old
01-18-2013, 01:43 AM
Smokey McCanucks

I think with Bryzglov last year he had a lot of things going on, new city, lots of media, the HBO series and being kind of a celebrity of sorts for a while, and injury, he had a tough season but this season I expect him to be really good.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:50 AM
spudnick

Quote:
who cares about what he's paid. paying him less won't solve the problem.

Bryz playing better will. period. he needs to play better / closer to March 2012.

no reason he cant do it.

better TEAM D will help.
i'm optimistic

No paying him less wont solve anything but that doesnt mean he should receive that much. We have 2 amnesty buy out and one HAS to be used on him. We cant have his contract on the books for 7 more years till hes 40 at 5.6 per. That money can be used in other area's or try and get an elite goal and use it there.

Bryz is ranked 6th in starting goalies cap hit. Ahead of Luongo, Brodeur, Thomas, Fleury, Rinne, Quick, Howard and Price which IMO are all better calibre goaltenders. Some might argue that Howard and Price are not better but I would take either of them of Bryzgalov. Last season he made 10 million dollars, thats 3.2 million more than Ludquivst which Bryz is not even in the same universe as him.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:56 AM
spudnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey McCanucks View Post
I think with Bryzglov last year he had a lot of things going on, new city, lots of media, the HBO series and being kind of a celebrity of sorts for a while, and injury, he had a tough season but this season I expect him to be really good.
So what was the excuse for his play in the KHL. Played decent in 4 games and was utter garbage in the remainder.

Old
01-18-2013, 08:18 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
No paying him less wont solve anything .
exactly. who cares. i want him to be GREAT for us & hoist the CUP. period.
i will hope, root & cheer for that to happen with all my heart: i'm a Flyers fan: that's what we do.

email Paul Holmgren with your GM suggestions. in the meantime, i'll be too busy rooting my team on to care about your 'salary cap doom and gloom get rid of our goalie campaign'

Old
01-18-2013, 11:54 AM
toughfighter83*

Quote:
No paying him less wont solve anything but that doesnt mean he should receive that much. We have 2 amnesty buy out and one HAS to be used on him. We cant have his contract on the books for 7 more years till hes 40 at 5.6 per. That money can be used in other area's or try and get an elite goal and use it there.

Bryz is ranked 6th in starting goalies cap hit. Ahead of Luongo, Brodeur, Thomas, Fleury, Rinne, Quick, Howard and Price which IMO are all better calibre goaltenders. Some might argue that Howard and Price are not better but I would take either of them of Bryzgalov. Last season he made 10 million dollars, thats 3.2 million more than Ludquivst which Bryz is not even in the same universe as him.

all because of money? it's pathetic, he's a starter for god sakes, he's not a backup goalie, he had good numbers in his career that's why they picked him up, if they get rid of him, the goalie caursel will start again with waver wire goalies and backups, unless they have a plan to get a good starter goalie, not waver wire/backup position goalies that's the only way they'll get rid of him, plus they gave up so much to get him and you are getting rid of him for nothing.

snider is behind him, he wont get rid of him no matter who bad of a season he has because of a lously team, deal with it.

Old
01-18-2013, 12:21 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Leighton is a BUM!

Quote:
Leighton credits Cup loss for making him stronger

It made me stronger as a person, Leighton said. It made my drive a little harder. My goal in life now is to win the Stanley Cup, and Ill do everything I can to do that.

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...565&feedID=704

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 01-18-2013 at 12:25 PM. Reason: He should have done everything he could in 2010!
Old
01-18-2013, 12:21 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
This will be the new all-purpose goaltending thread, since that seems to be a source of endless drama for the Flyers for all time.

Edit: ^^^^ you certainly don't waste time

Closed Thread