HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposal Thread: Part X Rated Rumors

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2013, 01:46 PM
Hockey Nightmare

vCash: 500
Irving can't be worse than Khabby.

Old
01-17-2013, 02:29 PM
Eskimo44

I've been thinking about it and you know what i take Tim Connolly off waivers. It's only a one year deal, it's affordable, and he's only one season removed from a solid year and two from an excellent year. Even last season he wasn't that bad. He's not great in the dot but he's good enough that it's not an issue (48% last season). He's been healthy lately too. He's a good PKer. At 4 million you can't be hurt too much by his deal, and worst case scenario he gets waived again. It also allows us the flexability of moving a guy like Gagner if the right piece comes along, although i'm not a fan of that move most likely. Also lets be honest center depth isn't great in Etown right now so adding a guy who could be a legitimate #2 center could be huge.

Old
01-17-2013, 02:35 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Yep. I'm all for picking up Irving. The other thing is, if he sucks for us, we can simply waive him and give him back. You know Columbus won't go after him because they have Mason and Bob already, so this is a perfect opportunity to complete our goalie tandem
The worry i'd have with taking a backup goalie on waivers is it uses up your priority waiver claim. When you have 2nd priority you want to try and get the best asset avaliable. In saying that Tambo hasn't been too great at using it to his advantage. The one time he did well was with Jones, and i feel confident in saying a guy like that would be much more helpful than Irving. In saying that i could think of worse things to do with that waiver pick and we certainly need a backup, i just wonder if the "Irvings" of the world aren't too tough to acquire even without waivers.

Old
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Oilers should claim Paul Byron off waivers from the Flames just to emphasize how little they got in the Regehr trade.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
joestevens29

vCash: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
I've been thinking about it and you know what i take Tim Connolly off waivers. It's only a one year deal, it's affordable, and he's only one season removed from a solid year and two from an excellent year. Even last season he wasn't that bad. He's not great in the dot but he's good enough that it's not an issue (48% last season). He's been healthy lately too. He's a good PKer. At 4 million you can't be hurt too much by his deal, and worst case scenario he gets waived again. It also allows us the flexability of moving a guy like Gagner if the right piece comes along, although i'm not a fan of that move most likely. Also lets be honest center depth isn't great in Etown right now so adding a guy who could be a legitimate #2 center could be huge.
Problem becomes where do you play him and roster room.

Old
01-17-2013, 02:36 PM
belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
In the instance that the public was not privy to the salary of a professional athlete, I wonder if our opinion of their performance might drastically change.

Nikolai Khabibulin is a veteran net presence, leading locker room figure, Conn Smythe trophy winner and Stanley Cup champion. Leland Irving is a bum who just failed to secure a backup spot on the Calgary Flames.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Oilers should claim Paul Byron off waivers from the Flames just to emphasize how little they got in the Regehr trade.
Having him toil in Abbotsford would emphasize that more than having him on our active roster.

Old
01-17-2013, 02:40 PM
Pointteen

Quote:
Connolly is not huge though so I would rather give the spot to Gagner.

Old
01-17-2013, 02:41 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
Having him toil in Abbotsford would emphasize that more than having him on our active roster.
No, you don't understand. I'm talking about claiming him just to make a headline and then waiving him again afterwards.

Old
01-17-2013, 02:44 PM
belair

The Flames net situation is a little odd actually. I thought Ramo was under contract, but he's in Europe. He may come over, but that's still to be foreseen.

I wonder if they're looking at a UFA. Roloson comes to mind.

Old
01-17-2013, 02:49 PM
joestevens29

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper
Sure sounds like #Stars deal with Jamie Benn getting finalized. Latest Dal offer I heard was 33M. Look for cap hit around 5.5M for 5/6 yrs

Old
01-17-2013, 02:52 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper
Sure sounds like #Stars deal with Jamie Benn getting finalized. Latest Dal offer I heard was 33M. Look for cap hit around 5.5M for 5/6 yrs
That seems reasonable.

Old
01-17-2013, 02:52 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
lol they got fleeced so bad

Old
01-17-2013, 02:53 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Problem becomes where do you play him and roster room.

Hall - Hopkins - Eberle
Yakupov - Gagner - Hemsky
Smyth - Horcoff - Connolly
Hartikainen - Belanger - Jones
Eager, Hordichuk, Petrell

Jones will be hurt to start the year so i don't mind an extra top 9 forward. If it doesn't work out no biggie just waive him again. If Gagner goes cold you can put Connolly up there. Horcoff can also play wing if needed. Connolly is also not a bad healthy scratch to have in case a center gets hurt. I just see a small downside and a fairly significant upside. I could certainly see him being picked up only to be waived again, in fact i'd lean towards that. However i could see, and it's not too distant, him being a productive top 9 player who helps the special teams, add's center depth, and plays well enough to even play top 6 minutes. Let's not pretend that Connolly doesn't have a high end game to him, i eve saw it at times last season. Of course there are other issues with this player, but for a waiver wire pickup they are pretty managable flaws. If he keeps guys like Paajarvi and Lander in the AHL i'm happy.

Old
01-17-2013, 02:55 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
The Flames net situation is a little odd actually. I thought Ramo was under contract, but he's in Europe. He may come over, but that's still to be foreseen.

It was stated by one of the TSN guys (I think) that they haven't decided which to keep, so they waived them both and are just going to send one down

Old
Eskimo44

Quote:

I wonder if we should be looking at old Rollie for the backup job. I would lean towards no, but he might be good for 10-15 games.

Old
MeestaDeteta

Quote:
Hall - Hopkins - Eberle

Jones will be hurt to start the year so i don't mind an extra top 9 forward. If it doesn't work out no biggie just waive him again. If Gagner goes cold you can put Connolly up there. Horcoff can also play wing if needed. Connolly is also not a bad healthy scratch to have in case a center gets hurt. I just see a small downside and a fairly significant upside. I could certainly see him being picked up only to be waived again, in fact i'd lean towards that. However i could see, and it's not too distant, him being a productive top 9 player who helps the special teams, add's center depth, and plays well enough to even play top 6 minutes. Let's not pretend that Connolly doesn't have a high end game to him, i eve saw it at times last season. Of course there are other issues with this player, but for a waiver wire pickup they are pretty managable flaws. If he keeps guys like Paajarvi and Lander in the AHL i'm happy.
Yuck, I want no part of Connolly.

If it doesn't work out and we do waive him, and nobody else puts in a claim, we're still stuck with that cap-hit.

Old
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper
boo.. was secretly hoping that he might become available via trade. Wouldve been perfect in EDM.

Old
01-17-2013, 02:56 PM
jsho

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
Um, yes he can be.

People are pretty quick to forget that Edmonton's hot start last year was due to Khabby being our hands down MVP during that stretch. In fact his gaa didn't dip below .930 until the end of December.

He slowed down likely due to playing to much. If hes expected to play 10-15 games his year then how is he not the perfect fit for that role right now?

Irving has a gaa of 0.871 in the AHL this year and hasn't been good enough to play very much. He is also a ginger with curly hair. How is he any better than Khabby?

Old
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
It was stated by one of the TSN guys (I think) that they haven't decided which to keep, so they waived them both and are just going to send one down
That's a loser move. Make a ****ing decision, don't leave it to chance.

Old
MeestaDeteta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
boo.. was secretly hoping that he might become available via trade. Wouldve been perfect in EDM.
Where would he play? He'd be an expensive 3rd liner.

Old
01-17-2013, 02:58 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailor Hopberle View Post
Where would he play? He'd be an expensive 3rd liner.
Gagner+++ would obviously be going the other way..

Benn is just what we need at #2C..

Old
01-17-2013, 02:58 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Hall - Hopkins - Eberle

Oil won't be keeping 15 forwards, that's the problem. I don't mind Connolly and think he has something to bring, but with them wanting to play Hartsi and now Prv I just don't see the room.

Old
01-17-2013, 02:59 PM
MeestaDeteta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsho View Post
Um, yes he can be.

People are pretty quick to forget that Edmonton's hot start last year was due to Khabby being our hands down MVP during that stretch. In fact his gaa didn't dip below .930 until the end of December.

He slowed down likely due to playing to much. If hes expected to play 10-15 games his year then how is he not the perfect fit for that role right now?

Irving has a gaa of 0.871 in the AHL this year and hasn't been good enough to play very much. He is also a ginger with curly hair. How is he any better than Khabby?

Old
01-17-2013, 03:00 PM
MeestaDeteta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Gagner+++ would obviously be going the other way..

Benn is just what we need at #2C..
For some reason I thought he played wing.

Old
01-17-2013, 03:01 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper
well he's certainly no zajac

Closed Thread