HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Maple Leafs waive Tim Connolly

Old
01-17-2013, 02:56 PM
Man Bear Pig

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukNumberOne View Post
Heh..another failed Leafs signing that we all saw coming except for Leafer fans.
Not really. Lots of Leafs fans were against it. I never had a problem with it because it was such a short deal. Someone will be interested, that's for sure.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:57 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
Are you crazy? You would have to pray someone would grab him on waivers as even after the $900,000 AHL hit gets removed, he would still count as a close to $4 million dollar cap hit with the east of his contract. The Canucks won the PT with a 49 point Kesler and a 30 point Booth last year. They will be missed for the first month, but the rest of the depth should manage. Having the best goalie tandem and the most offensive production in the league from the back end more than compensates.
We also lack a top-6 playmaker, and a 3rd line center (not to mention a 2nd PP center).

Its a low-risk move.

Ho Borvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:58 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
He is in the last year with a 4.75 cap hit, could see someone doing re-entry waivers for him, don't know why you would want to pay the full boat when you can force them to do that if they want to get rid of him. The Leafs won't amnesty him that wouldn't make sense with just 48 games left. They can even make him play for the Marlies without the NHLPA getting upset.
Who cares if they do.
We have cap space and money. If no wants him that may be where he ends up. I could see us paying half his salary but other than that he could be a Marlie.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:59 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
He is in the last year with a 4.75 cap hit, could see someone doing re-entry waivers for him, don't know why you would want to pay the full boat when you can force them to do that if they want to get rid of him. The Leafs won't amnesty him that wouldn't make sense with just 48 games left. They can even make him play for the Marlies without the NHLPA getting upset.
Re-entry waivers no longer exist.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:59 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTheBones109 View Post
Fair enough. I guess I'm just used to silly things like that on the Leafs board, so I've grown used to ignoring them. I know how difficult that can be though, believe me.

On topic, however, the Connolly signing was clearly a failure. I will be interested to see where he ends up. I think he still has some play left in him, and he looked quite good early on in the season (which is when Leafs fans were saying it was a better signing than Cole, I believe).
I would love the Hawks to give him a shot, if he can't do well at 2C between Sharp and Hossa then he's a lost cause.

deytookerjaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:00 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
We also lack a top-6 playmaker, and a 3rd line center (not to mention a 2nd PP center).

Its a low-risk move.
The problem with Connolly as a 3rd line center is he is terrible on faceoffs. Terrible. If you can pair him with a winger that is good on the draws he is ok.

Old
01-17-2013, 03:00 PM
Nash

Quote:

Its a low-risk move.
I'd rather give Schroeder a chance for a month.

And it is a high risk when your team is within $2 million of the cap. You can't bury contracts in the minors and we can't expect another team to claim him off waivers for us. We could be forced to move another roster player.

Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:01 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
And if he doesn't work out? in this shortened season early games will be very important.

Old
01-17-2013, 03:01 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Looks like its probably gonna be Ebbett at this point.

Ho Borvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:02 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
So happy, looks like Kadri is getting his shot at center.

iPunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:03 PM
will13

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
About time!

will13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:05 PM
RollTheBones109

Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
I would love the Hawks to give him a shot, if he can't do well at 2C between Sharp and Hossa then he's a lost cause.
I thought the Hawks would be interested in Connolly. Perhaps they might try him if the Leafs can't give him away for free and choose to retain some salary to trade him for a 5th or 6th (at least creating the appearance of effective asset management).

To be honest, being on a second line with those wingers might be ideal for him. I'm not sure he had the intensity to be against the top defenders on opposing teams (and playing with Kessel and Lupul that was a guarantee). The Leafs didn't want to break up their formerly great second line (Mac-Grabo-Kule), so Connolly quickly fell behind Bozak and Grabo, who just worked better despite having less talent (in my mind). Perhaps getting away from the top shutdown pairs would help, and Sharp and Hossa certainly can produce.

RollTheBones109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:06 PM
93gilmour93

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
agreed.

93gilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:06 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
And if he doesn't work out? in this shortened season early games will be very important.
Goaltending, 4 of the top 31 D for offense last year and third liners like Higgins and Hansen who put up 43 and 39 last season. Back to back president's trophy winners shouldn't have to worry about a player missing a month. I don't see any other team in our weak division taking advantage of our depleted second line.

Old
01-17-2013, 03:07 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Heh..another failed Leafs signing that we all saw coming except for Leafer fans.
can you point me to some leafs fans saying it was anything other than a stopgap? There must be hundreds of them, based on your post.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:07 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Connolly seems like a poor man's Hemsky. I'd definitely be willing to give him a cheap contract and see if he can do something on the 3rd line.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:09 PM
Nash

Quote:
Looks like its probably gonna be Ebbett at this point.
Why, because he scored in camp? He has played with better line mates, but has been much worse defensively than JS. What does AV think if players who can't play defensive hockey? JS gets Ebbett's line mates tonight.

Old
01-17-2013, 03:09 PM
Doobz89

They're not as week as Columbus, but certainly are weaker than every other team in the League.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Florida?
Calgary?
Columbus?
Dallas (although I don't know enough about their team to be as certain as I am with other teams)?
Minny?

They're nowhere close to having the weakest group of centers in the league. Yes they're in the bottom 1/3rd, but no, they're not the worst.

Doobz89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:11 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Connolly seems like a poor man's Hemsky. I'd definitely be willing to give him a cheap contract and see if he can do something on the 3rd line.
Highly doubtful he gets bought out so there is probably no chance you being able to offer him a contract.
I could see Toronto eating up to half of his salary if someone was interested in him.

Old
01-17-2013, 03:13 PM
Jax Teller

Quote:
I would send a 4th if it meant you eat 1/2 salary
It's better for the Leafs to turn him into an asset. Rather than wasting him on the Marlies and still paying for it with full salary and cap-hit.

So, there really isn't a better option than making a move like this.

Jax Teller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:23 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Not true. I thought he'd do better. I thought it was an alright signing.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:31 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Every Leaf fan hated him, even from the beginning i knew he wouldnt be what we needed but it was far from a bad signing

Heh... another ignorant poster that we all saw coming

His deal was 2 years, no commitment and although his cap hit was moderately high it was far from a hindrance. It was a low risk high reward deal that id make 10/10. Sometimes you get a Connolly who flops, sometimes you get a MacArthur who goes on to score 62 points.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:32 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Oh, no. And here SeanLinden kept assuring us Connolly had value and we should trade Tanev, Luongo or whomever else for him. What a shame.

Now that he is at a reasonable price (read: nothing) he might be worth acquiring as a reclamation project, at least until Kesler is back.
Yeah, he was sure that Phoenix would have to part with Klesla for Lombardi. I sure hope the last 24 hours have been educational for Mr. Linden.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:35 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
Every Leaf fan hated him, even from the beginning i knew he wouldnt be what we needed but it was far from a bad signing

His deal was 2 years, no commitment and although his cap hit was moderately high it was far from a hindrance. It was a low risk high reward deal that id make 10/10. Sometimes you get a Connolly who flops, sometimes you get a MacArthur who goes on to score 62 points.
I don't see the high reward. It was tough to imagine how he could ever play to the level he was paid. The best you can say is that it was a short term risk.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:37 PM
inthewings

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post

I feel like he wasn't used correctly. At all. Why sign a player like Connolly, give him less than 50% offensive zone starts, less than 2 minutes if PP time a night?

He also had a very unlucky PDO.

inthewings is offline   Reply With Quote