2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects Part 2

Had to close the first one because it exceeded 1,000 posts

Old
01-17-2013, 03:12 PM
Tigers1992

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JansenHockey View Post
Incorrect. Petawabano is living with a billet family and attends private school. His parents live in Quebec therefor he belongs to the Q. I don't think this is to personal. Its about draft picks and eligibility is a big question for some. Holwell, Sprong, Petawabano, Korostelev all have problems. Holwell and Petawabano will be drafted in the Q. Sprong and Korostelev will need to wait for the import draft next year.
Just for the record, players parents have been deemed 'offside' by the moderators for the site. I agree with it, has nothing to do with the players. Regardless, one note. I've seen them a lot this year, out to random games in Joshua Creek and such. His brother is here as well. We will agree to disagree on this one. I don't doubt that he will end up a Q prospect, but there is obviously enough info out there that the OHL felt he was an OHL prospect.

They did not list Holiwell because of those reasons you mentioned before, the parents residency. They have listed Petawabano. Take that for what you will.

My only issue is the same issue that i had with Matthew Peca. If a kid wants to play in a league, why stop him. I had an issue with both Kingston and Kitchener stepping in the way of the kids wish to play for Roy in Quebec. In this case, if Cody wants to be an OHLer, which is the case from what Ive been told, why get in the way.

I've said my peace on the matter.

Old
01-17-2013, 03:30 PM
BigBuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Just for the record, players parents have been deemed 'offside' by the moderators for the site. I agree with it, has nothing to do with the players. Regardless, one note. I've seen them a lot this year, out to random games in Joshua Creek and such. His brother is here as well. We will agree to disagree on this one. I don't doubt that he will end up a Q prospect, but there is obviously enough info out there that the OHL felt he was an OHL prospect.

They did not list Holiwell because of those reasons you mentioned before, the parents residency. They have listed Petawabano. Take that for what you will.

My only issue is the same issue that i had with Matthew Peca. If a kid wants to play in a league, why stop him. I had an issue with both Kingston and Kitchener stepping in the way of the kids wish to play for Roy in Quebec. In this case, if Cody wants to be an OHLer, which is the case from what Ive been told, why get in the way.

With regards to Mathew Peca,Kingston traded Windsor to get his rights because Gill knew him and how good of a player he was.Once he said he did not want to play in Kingston they released him and Kitchener picked him up on waivers to block him from Quebec.If anyone blocked him it was Kitchener...Hockey Canada puts the rules in place of where a player must play. Good to have you back Tiger1992 I enjoy your prospect evaluations and rankings.

Old
01-17-2013, 03:47 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuck View Post
With regards to Mathew Peca,Kingston traded Windsor to get his rights because Gill knew him and how good of a player he was.Once he said he did not want to play in Kingston they released him and Kitchener picked him up on waivers to block him from Quebec.If anyone blocked him it was Kitchener...Hockey Canada puts the rules in place of where a player must play. Good to have you back Tiger1992 I enjoy your prospect evaluations and rankings.
Regardless of who it was, teams wouldn't let him go through waivers. It would have been simple to do so as well. If a kid wants something, and you know that he will not play in your league, why stand in his way. I respect Hockey Canada's rules (specifically for the import draft, too mant games can be played there), but this one would have been easy.

Thanks for the kind words...

Old
01-17-2013, 04:08 PM
JansenHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post

I think the OHL was unsure about his status and assumed he was living here with his parents. Seems odd they would not be clear on this but they got it wrong. No harm done.

I agree 100% that a player should able to choose where he plays but that would create nothing but chaos and make each CHL Draft a circus.

Old
01-17-2013, 04:15 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
I think the OHL was unsure about his status and assumed he was living here with his parents. Seems odd they would not be clear on this but they got it wrong. No harm done.

I agree 100% that a player should able to choose where he plays but that would create nothing but chaos and make each CHL Draft a circus.
Not if they physically move before the draft occurs, like with Petawabano. Play the year in Midget (or minor midget here) to establish that.

I think the OHL listed him for a reason, knowing the guys in the league, they have done their homework. Regardless, us posting on here will not change a thing.

Old
01-17-2013, 04:18 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:

Great info Jansen. Ive heard a ton of conflicting info regarding Holwell's eligibility. It appears that Holwell, Picco and Noel all fall into the same category.

Old
01-17-2013, 04:26 PM
JansenHockey

He's a permanent resident or he would not have participated in the Allstate game:
Quote:
National Mentorship Camp Selection Process

The NHLPA tap a wide network of scouts across the country to nominate some of the top bantam-aged players in Canada. Those players will then be invited to apply for one of forty-two (42) spots at the National Mentorship Camp (6 goalies, 12 defensemen, 24 forwards). To be eligible for selection for the Allstate All-Canadians Mentorship Camp, players must be fourteen years of age and must be considered a permanent resident of Canada.
http://www.allcanadians.com/mentorsh...entorship-camp

He's not a citizen, but he's a permanent resident.

The NHLPA may have deemed him a "permanent resident" for the purposes of the All State event, or perhaps they didn't get the full story, but the family does not have the correct status in Canada qualify for the draft. A Temporary Renewable Work Permit, Student Visa or Visitor Visa won't allow him to be picked.

Old
01-17-2013, 08:57 PM
jfb392

Quote:
He's a permanent resident or he would not have participated in the Allstate game:
Quote:

The NHLPA tap a wide network of scouts across the country to nominate some of the top bantam-aged players in Canada. Those players will then be invited to apply for one of forty-two (42) spots at the National Mentorship Camp (6 goalies, 12 defensemen, 24 forwards). To be eligible for selection for the Allstate All-Canadians Mentorship Camp, players must be fourteen years of age and must be considered a permanent resident of Canada.

The NHLPA may have deemed him a "permanent resident" for the purposes of the All State event, or perhaps they didn't get the full story, but the family does not have the correct status in Canada qualify for the draft. A Temporary Renewable Work Permit, Student Visa or Visitor Visa won't allow him to be picked.
Why would the organizers have a different definition of permanent resident than the legal one?
I'll go by what everyone has said so far, including the kid himself, and believe that he'll be eligible this year.
Since he's not an OHL prospect though, there's no point in continuing to talk about him here.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:06 PM
doogie24

Originally was going to ask if the $60 membership on thescout.ca was worth it, but assumed I would get a mixed response.

So I guess the better question is what does my 60 dollars get me at thescout.ca ? Just detailed writeups?

Old
01-17-2013, 09:44 PM
DS1456Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Why would the organizers have a different definition of permanent resident than the legal one?
I'll go by what everyone has said so far, including the kid himself, and believe that he'll be eligible this year.
Since he's not an OHL prospect though, there's no point in continuing to talk about him here.
I agree. This subject has been asked and answered on another tread. He's Dutch, not Canadian or with Canadian residency. The All-State camp rules of their rules to enforce. Its their party and they could have been under the impression that he was good to go. I'll bet none of the players had to present proof of citizenship. If he is in fact passed over in the draft because of these problems I think the AS people are going to look a little foolish.

Old
01-18-2013, 12:24 AM
Storm Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie24 View Post
Originally was going to ask if the $60 membership on thescout.ca was worth it, but assumed I would get a mixed response.

So I guess the better question is what does my 60 dollars get me at thescout.ca ? Just detailed writeups?
He's got write ups on almost 250 players so far.
His top 100 player rankings for the Priority Draft.
Individual game reports as well as tournament reports.
He's even got profile reports on 6 98's so far.

Whether or not you think it's worth the money will be up to you but I find it top notch for someone looking to get a handle on the OHL draft.

I've tried to educate myself more this year seeing 58 games so far and I've seen Sean out at every tournament and tonnes of games. He puts in his work and it reflects in his content.

Old
01-18-2013, 01:11 AM
Garyboy

Sean definitely gets around. He's been to about 90% of all the games I have been at this year, and he's always taking notes.

Old
01-18-2013, 01:50 AM
mapleleaf979

I hope that minor midget rinks, especially in the GTHL can do something about the nets and the mournings to prevent them from coming out of place so easily. I realize that they are that way to prevent injury, but they are far too soft. A few times a game u will see scrambles in front of the net and it gets dislodged. Very rarely is there a penalty. This seems more and more like a tactic used by goalies, to get out of dangerous situations. I wish they would stiffen them up a touch and enforce strict penalties to the goalies everytime the net gets dis-lodged. Some coaches past and present have been accused of using this as a way out of dangerous situations. I think there is some truth to that accusation.

Old
01-18-2013, 11:38 AM
wingman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
I hope that minor midget rinks, especially in the GTHL can do something about the nets and the mournings to prevent them from coming out of place so easily. I realize that they are that way to prevent injury, but they are far too soft. A few times a game u will see scrambles in front of the net and it gets dislodged. Very rarely is there a penalty. This seems more and more like a tactic used by goalies, to get out of dangerous situations. I wish they would stiffen them up a touch and enforce strict penalties to the goalies everytime the net gets dis-lodged. Some coaches past and present have been accused of using this as a way out of dangerous situations. I think there is some truth to that accusation.
Agree, it was really noticeable in the Marlie tournament, and may have had an impact on the JRC/Marlie game the other night. I do think its the goalie more so then the ice,
In regards to residency and player eligibility. In the GTHL there is so much manipulation around residency. Players from all over come to the city to play hockey. Not as much arrived in minor midget this year as other years. Oakville has followed suit this year with the philosophy of "if you cant beat them join them." With many players not from Oakville, thats the advantage of the LOR as well.
Tough for the OHL to look at the residency issues. This year there is more question around the amount of Russians and Americans playing in Ontario and whether they are eligible or not.
I do believe a player should play where they want.

Last edited by wingman22: 01-18-2013 at 11:39 AM. Reason: spell check
Old
01-18-2013, 12:49 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
Sean definitely gets around. He's been to about 90% of all the games I have been at this year, and he's always taking notes.
His opinion means zero until he buys his own OHL club. I don't think any GM cares what Sean has to say. Its easy to pick the top ones, its the 2nd rd -15th rd that is tough. The website is just another read for players and parents, great for some egos and bad for others. I do agree with many of his picks and don't agree on others. We all have opinions. Its just business and good luck to him.

Old
01-18-2013, 03:00 PM
mapleleaf979

Some good teams at the Peterborough Tourney. Soo Thunder, Oakville, YSE, Southern Tier, BArrie etc. Should be a great semi-final and final. Quite a few 1st-2nd round picks here. Danny Tyczynski(6-1 160) on the Buffalo Regals is a very under-rated Playmaker.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:31 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
His opinion means zero until he buys his own OHL club. I don't think any GM cares what Sean has to say. Its easy to pick the top ones, its the 2nd rd -15th rd that is tough. The website is just another read for players and parents, great for some egos and bad for others. I do agree with many of his picks and don't agree on others. We all have opinions. Its just business and good luck to him.
I'm not saying he's the authority on Minor Midget AAA hockey, silly goose =)! Just saying he definitely puts in a lot of time.

Old
01-18-2013, 10:28 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Quote:

Checked with a friend in the QMJHL (scoutman also confirmed on another thread), Sprong is eligible for the QMJHL Draft. Hes listed as eligible. Similar situation as Koreselev. Both look to be a go at this point.

Old
01-18-2013, 11:42 PM
Garyboy

Thanks for the clarification, Tigers. Sprong as an ox should go first overall in the Q.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:48 PM
doogie24

Didn't realize Sean was essentially the man behind that website. His twitter account is a good follow for prospect information.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:20 PM
mapleleaf979

Im curious about Jack Lafontaine(98 born) and what he intends to do next year?

Has there ever been a prospect in the GTHL prospect game that was playing up and didnt have ES intentions?

Im on board with this kids abilities, Ive been watching him closely and he is unbelievable. Minor midget looks like a waste of time for his development next year, at times he looks unchallenged now. This kid looks to have the complete package, right down to his puck handling skills. I think u can easily make the case that Lafontaine is the best goalie in the GTHL. He erases major scoring opportunites like they are nothing. He deserves a ton of credit. Without him in net keeping them in games, DMF would be alot lower than #5 seed for the playoffs.

This may or may not pertain to Lafontaine this year. I imagine all the tests for a potential ES candidate would be the same for forward, defense, and goalie. The one big difference would be that a goalie would not be expected to go #1 overall. Even stud prospects like Liam Herbst, the best minor midget goalie many had seen in years went #21 overall and goalie's are rarely ever taken in the first round.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:49 PM
Pioneer5

Although Lafontaine is a good goalie, I disagree with him being the best in the GTHL. His puck handling skills are good, but so are several others. It's knowing when to handle the puck and what to do with it when you you do. Goaltenders need time to develop so what would be the point of getting ES status. He is no where ready to play in the Ohl.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:35 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthestands View Post
Although Lafontaine is a good goalie, I disagree with him being the best in the GTHL. His puck handling skills are good, but so are several others. It's knowing when to handle the puck and what to do with it when you you do. Goaltenders need time to develop so what would be the point of getting ES status. He is no where ready to play in the Ohl.
Agreed they need more time. In my view coming back to play with his age group, will hurt his development. His leg speed and reflexes are incredible. He is a very calm goalie, aggresive to the shooters when called for. Big with a tight butterfly. The fact that Lafontaine was in the prospects game is interesting. Only Mcdavid was an under-age playing in the prospects game. Hosang played up and was dominant and was not invited to the prospects game with the 95's. Im not convinced he plays minor midget next year in Ontario, the way he currently looks in his net. Im not saying he is applying but he may end up somewhere else next year other than minor midget.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:45 PM
DBHockey15

Hi, I'm just trying to educate myself on the draft process and again find myself directed to this thread.

Most of the discussion on this forum is dedicated to the first round prospects and rightfully so.

I have a few questions for those that have been around for a while about players drafted in the 4th round and later.

Do teams draft players that are not on their respective teams top lines, ie Shut down forwards and defensive defenseman?

If they do, do any of those players have a legitimate shot at cracking OHL line ups?

Most players that are drafted do not make the jump to the OHL right away, do OHL teams have preferred leagues/teams that their drafted players go to, or do most go on to play Major Midget?

Thanks for any insight that may be offered

Closed Thread