HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Retribution vs the Penguins

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-16-2013, 09:38 AM
  #76
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,252
vCash: 500
I'm sure Pitt will be out head hunting again.....I just hope nobody gets seriously hurt by their cowardice.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:43 AM
  #77
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,047
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
caught the rookie lookin the other way. ya make that hit every time.
Surely you can't be serious?

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:50 AM
  #78
RespectTheCouts
He Eats Souls
 
RespectTheCouts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
caught the rookie lookin the other way. ya make that hit every time.
Ummm if Couts had the puck, or if it was in like a 8 foot raduis maybe, but Neal left his feet also, he wouldn't be getting labeled as a dirtbag if he actually answered the bell for what he did, but he'll choose to play "Pens Hockey" and keep head hunting and avoid any consequences, or answering to the likes of Hartsy, Simmer, or Rinaldo or Sesitto, I would love to have the Flyers go undefeated against Pitt this year and play a very very physical game everytime out


Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 01-16-2013 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Quote feature was fractured
RespectTheCouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:58 AM
  #79
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,362
vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
caught the rookie lookin the other way. ya make that hit every time.
malkin on the other hand avoided a suspension so therefore must pay the blood price
this is a joke, right?

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:49 AM
  #80
Flyersfan139
Registered User
 
Flyersfan139's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Exton, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wilson View Post
Hey guys. Fan now that Schenner is with you.

Why you guys so worried about payback? For what? Maybe focus on how to beat teams like NJ? It's 2013 and it's a new year. Retaliating, and possibly suspension in a shortened season is stupid.

When the handshakes are done, it's time to move on.
Where is the fun in that? Part of what makes hockey great is the grudges and rivalries between teams. I hope Neal gets his ass kicked on Saturday.

Flyersfan139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:51 PM
  #81
Pelican Peach Pen
BTR-ATL Pen
 
Pelican Peach Pen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: LA & GA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,646
vCash: 500
So, what I'm hearing here is that you guys would be fine with Glass, Cooke, or any other Penguin getting ready for this game like you guys are hoping for if the scenario was reversed. You would have NO issue with Pens fans hoping their players blow Giroux, Briere, Voracek or any other Flyer up if the situation was reversed, right?

Fact is this happens on EVERY team, including yours.

Pelican Peach Pen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:58 PM
  #82
Qyburn
Registered User
 
Qyburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican Peach Pen View Post
Fact is this happens on EVERY team, including yours.
And your point?

Let me guess. Something about morality and hypocrisy.

It's sports. Relax. We're cheering for our teams with inherent bias. Not writing the next Ten Commandments.

Qyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:06 PM
  #83
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,783
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican Peach Pen View Post
So, what I'm hearing here is that you guys would be fine with Glass, Cooke, or any other Penguin getting ready for this game like you guys are hoping for if the scenario was reversed. You would have NO issue with Pens fans hoping their players blow Giroux, Briere, Voracek or any other Flyer up if the situation was reversed, right?

Fact is this happens on EVERY team, including yours.
Voracek, Briere, and Giroux weren't handing out dangerous cheap shots like Neal and Malkin were.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:22 PM
  #84
CootaRoo
Registered User
 
CootaRoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 258
vCash: 500
If any of Cooter/Schenn/Giroux/et al did half of what Malin/Neal did in last year's playoff series I would expect the Penguins' faithful to be wishing their harm (and be mildly concerned that the team was as well) - much as we are now.

CootaRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:56 PM
  #85
TheLegendkiller
Registered User
 
TheLegendkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican Peach Pen View Post
So, what I'm hearing here is that you guys would be fine with Glass, Cooke, or any other Penguin getting ready for this game like you guys are hoping for if the scenario was reversed. You would have NO issue with Pens fans hoping their players blow Giroux, Briere, Voracek or any other Flyer up if the situation was reversed, right?

Fact is this happens on EVERY team, including yours.

If you want to play on the edge then you need to be ready to drop the gloves. Very few Pens players do that though. I can only recall Matt Cooke dropping the gloves for a cheapshot. And that happened only once.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:02 PM
  #86
KareemTrustfund
Bogus call, ref!
 
KareemTrustfund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ceti Alpha 6
Posts: 12,917
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
Voracek, Briere, and Giroux weren't handing out dangerous cheap shots like Neal and Malkin were.
Perhaps not in the penguin series, but the Giroux on Zidlicky hit was vicious. Probably worse than any other dirty hit in the entire playoffs.

KareemTrustfund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:05 PM
  #87
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,783
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by KareemTrustfund View Post
Perhaps not in the penguin series, but the Giroux on Zidlicky hit was vicious. Probably worse than any other dirty hit in the entire playoffs.
Do you mean Zubrus? That wasn't nearly as bad as Neal on Couturier.

Edit: Also of note, almost everyone here wasn't happy with Giroux for doing that.


Last edited by Beef Invictus: 01-17-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:08 PM
  #88
TheLegendkiller
Registered User
 
TheLegendkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KareemTrustfund View Post
Perhaps not in the penguin series, but the Giroux on Zidlicky hit was vicious. Probably worse than any other dirty hit in the entire playoffs.

Then if the Devil want to start something then they need to do it. But they wont, cause the Devils are *******.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:11 PM
  #89
MrHockey1982
Registered User
 
MrHockey1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,180
vCash: 500
The Penguins were the dirtiest team in the league last season. They proved it against us in the playoffs. All I've heard about from Pens fans for years is how the Flyers are such a dirty team, how they'd be ashamed to be fans of the Flyers, and how the Flyers are goons etc etc. So now that the Penguins are doing it, the fans are (not surprisingly) still fans of their team and can't admit what the players did was wrong.

I would love for some of the Pens fans that are coming in here to admit that what their players did in the playoffs was wrong before they start talking smack about how dirty the Flyers are and how the fans all just have a "thirst for blood."

FWIW, I know that the Flyers typically have one of the "dirtier" teams in the league as that's part of their identity and it will be forever. That doesn't mean they are the bullies anymore because there's a big difference. Anyways, all that stuff is part of hockey and so is payback. If you're going to take cheapshots like the Pens did, then they should expect to get some payback. I'd rather see it through clean hits, fights, and some good scrums though and not dirty hits.

Any Pens fans willing to admit this?

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:16 PM
  #90
KareemTrustfund
Bogus call, ref!
 
KareemTrustfund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ceti Alpha 6
Posts: 12,917
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
Do you mean Zubrus? That wasn't nearly as bad as Neal on Couturier.
Yeah Zubrus, my bad.

Just went and re-watched the two hits, both were dirty as hell, and yeah, I'm inclined to agree with you about Neal's hit being worse.

Both teams had some dirty plays throughout the playoffs ( Neal, Malkin, Giroux)

As a penguins fan I get a laugh at how both fan bases are always bickering about how dirty Malkin and Neal are or how dirty Giroux is. There are alot of hypocrites around here to say the least.

KareemTrustfund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:18 PM
  #91
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 11,635
vCash: 500
Pen's fan here. I'm not sure how one quantifies "dirtiest team in the league last season" so I can't really speak to that. I will say though that I was embarrassed by many of the Penguins' reactions to getting outplayed in that series. Asham's cheapshot, Letang's hush mocking the crowd (he really made an idiot of himself), Crosby pushing the glove thing. They are really competitive guys and I think their composure got the best of themselves. As far as retribution, I don't really get the talk here about returning a perceived or real cheapshot with another cheapshot. Hit Neal as often and as hard as you want, challenge him to a fight (one he will likely decline against one of your tougher fighters so would Giroux or any other star player). Just my 2 cents.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:18 PM
  #92
KareemTrustfund
Bogus call, ref!
 
KareemTrustfund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ceti Alpha 6
Posts: 12,917
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
The Penguins were the dirtiest team in the league last season. They proved it against us in the playoffs. All I've heard about from Pens fans for years is how the Flyers are such a dirty team, how they'd be ashamed to be fans of the Flyers, and how the Flyers are goons etc etc. So now that the Penguins are doing it, the fans are (not surprisingly) still fans of their team and can't admit what the players did was wrong.

I would love for some of the Pens fans that are coming in here to admit that what their players did in the playoffs was wrong before they start talking smack about how dirty the Flyers are and how the fans all just have a "thirst for blood."

FWIW, I know that the Flyers typically have one of the "dirtier" teams in the league as that's part of their identity and it will be forever. That doesn't mean they are the bullies anymore because there's a big difference. Anyways, all that stuff is part of hockey and so is payback. If you're going to take cheapshots like the Pens did, then they should expect to get some payback. I'd rather see it through clean hits, fights, and some good scrums though and not dirty hits.

Any Pens fans willing to admit this?
What Malkin and Neal did was wrong.

What Giroux did was wrong.

No dirty hits are right, I doubt anyone would say they were.

KareemTrustfund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:18 PM
  #93
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,783
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by KareemTrustfund View Post
Yeah Zubrus, my bad.

Just went and re-watched the two hits, both were dirty as hell, and yeah, I'm inclined to agree with you about Neal's hit being worse.

Both teams had some dirty plays throughout the playoffs ( Neal, Malkin, Giroux)

As a penguins fan I get a laugh at how both fan bases are always bickering about how dirty Malkin and Neal are or how dirty Giroux is. There are alot of hypocrites around here to say the least.
The colored glasses come with fandom and they're complimentary.

Edit: In relation to the above post, I thought Crosby pushing the glove was pretty funny. That's a Prongeresque move.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:23 PM
  #94
TheLegendkiller
Registered User
 
TheLegendkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Pen's fan here. I'm not sure how one quantifies "dirtiest team in the league last season" so I can't really speak to that. I will say though that I was embarrassed by many of the Penguins' reactions to getting outplayed in that series. Asham's cheapshot, Letang's hush mocking the crowd (he really made an idiot of himself), Crosby pushing the glove thing. They are really competitive guys and I think their composure got the best of themselves. As far as retribution, I don't really get the talk here about returning a perceived or real cheapshot with another cheapshot. Hit Neal as often and as hard as you want, challenge him to a fight (one he will likely decline against one of your tougher fighters so would Giroux or any other star player). Just my 2 cents.

Neal should have no problems fighting anybody in our top 6 (and any of them would totally be willing).

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:29 PM
  #95
MrHockey1982
Registered User
 
MrHockey1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Pen's fan here. I'm not sure how one quantifies "dirtiest team in the league last season" so I can't really speak to that. I will say though that I was embarrassed by many of the Penguins' reactions to getting outplayed in that series. Asham's cheapshot, Letang's hush mocking the crowd (he really made an idiot of himself), Crosby pushing the glove thing. They are really competitive guys and I think their composure got the best of themselves. As far as retribution, I don't really get the talk here about returning a perceived or real cheapshot with another cheapshot. Hit Neal as often and as hard as you want, challenge him to a fight (one he will likely decline against one of your tougher fighters so would Giroux or any other star player). Just my 2 cents.

You know what I confused last season with 2010-2011 so the Pens were not the dirtiest team last season. I apologize for that.

But the point is, all of my friends who are Pens fans and many who talk on message boards constantly talk about the Flyers being a "dirty" team. Which I cannot dispute with because they are always at or near the top in PIM's and fighting majors. BUT, when the Pens do it, they see no problem with it since they're just competitive and lost their composure. If that's the case, then so are the Flyers.

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:31 PM
  #96
CootaRoo
Registered User
 
CootaRoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
Edit: In relation to the above post, I thought Crosby pushing the glove was pretty funny. That's a Prongeresque move.
I agree with this. I know deep down it was just Crosby being a petulant little *****, but it was still a classic gamesmanship move that I would have lauded from Pronger.

CootaRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:31 PM
  #97
MrHockey1982
Registered User
 
MrHockey1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KareemTrustfund View Post
What Malkin and Neal did was wrong.

What Giroux did was wrong.

No dirty hits are right, I doubt anyone would say they were.

You're forgetting Asham. Glad you can admit it. Thanks.

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:33 PM
  #98
MrHockey1982
Registered User
 
MrHockey1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CootaRoo View Post
I agree with this. I know deep down it was just Crosby being a petulant little *****, but it was still a classic gamesmanship move that I would have lauded from Pronger.

I'm totally fine with what Crosby did as long as he's willing to drop the gloves and go toe to toe for his actions. Not hold on until the refs get there and then start throwing punches or declining to fight like he did with Schenn. Pronger obviously was willing to drop the gloves when necessary.

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:35 PM
  #99
TheSniper26
No cure for being...
 
TheSniper26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Youngstown
Country: United States
Posts: 2,157
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
The colored glasses come with fandom and they're complimentary.

Edit: In relation to the above post, I thought Crosby pushing the glove was pretty funny. That's a Prongeresque move.
Yeah, the cheap hits on all sides are something that I could never support. As a Pens fan, I thought Neal's hit was cheap and he'll have to answer the bell at some point. But the glove thing was just a bit of gamesmanship that I thought was funny too. Those are the kind of moments that keep the rivalry fresh without it going overboard.

TheSniper26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:43 PM
  #100
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 11,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
You know what I confused last season with 2010-2011 so the Pens were not the dirtiest team last season. I apologize for that.

But the point is, all of my friends who are Pens fans and many who talk on message boards constantly talk about the Flyers being a "dirty" team. Which I cannot dispute with because they are always at or near the top in PIM's and fighting majors. BUT, when the Pens do it, they see no problem with it since they're just competitive and lost their composure. If that's the case, then so are the Flyers.
That's called being a hypocrite

I will say, the history of the Flyers has something to do with their perception today. Some of it is warranted, some not. Just like the notion that the Pen's are a bunch of whiners is partially warranted, partially not. I mean the Crysby thing (and the diving reputation) is so over hyped. The dude whined too much as a rookie but had toned that down years ago. That just comes with the territory of being one of the top stars in the game. I see Giroux getting some of those things thrown around at him as well.

The reality is that all fanbases are biased and see what they want to see.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.