HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

P.K. Subban Thread - Mk III - Unsigned Edition

View Poll Results: Who should break first
Bergevin 61 25.00%
Subban 183 75.00%
Voters: 244. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2013, 03:33 PM
PricePkPatch

vCash: 500
P.K. Subban Thread - Mk III - Unsigned Edition

We just hit page 41, so let's keep going in here

Old
01-17-2013, 03:34 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

**** agents.

Old
01-17-2013, 03:35 PM
OneSharpMarble

Just curious would anyone trade Subban for Benn if we could then flip Plekanec for a very good top pairing dman?

Old
01-17-2013, 03:36 PM
CN_paladin

Meehan is an arse for sure but don't tell me Subban isn't slightly greedy.

Old
01-17-2013, 03:36 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesharpmarble View Post
just curious would anyone trade subban for benn if we could then flip plekanec for a very good top pairing dman?
ntc?

Old
01-17-2013, 03:37 PM
Le depisteur

Kulikov signed for 2 years
Harvey Fialkov of Sun-Sentinel tweets:

Harvey Fialkov @hfialkov 1m
Panthers justs signed D Dmitry Kulikov to 2 yr deal, confirmed by agent and Kuli.#flapanthers

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1325825

Old
01-17-2013, 03:38 PM
id4joey

Fan Fav

It's going to get ugly in Montreal if they don't sign PK after the hockey fans just went through this lockout. PK is a fan favorite so the Habs better sign him very soon.

Old
01-17-2013, 03:41 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
More ammo for Bergevin's stance now with that Kulikov re-signing...

Old
01-17-2013, 03:42 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Benn just signed as well apparently, waiting on the details.

C'mon PK, Don & Marc, get'er done.

Old
01-17-2013, 03:42 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
More ammo for Bergevin's stance now with that Kulikov re-signing...
Indeed. But I do believe there was another long-term signing earlier.

I still believe it'll come down to the fans' reaction in the first game(s).

Old
01-17-2013, 03:46 PM
MathMan

I'm not getting the hold up. Given Subban's status as an high-end #1 D-man, a long-term deal would be heavily to the benefit of the club, assuming the dollar amount was reasonable.

Unless Bergevin is following the insanity of some of the Montreal media and using del Zotto as a comparable (and, therefore, heavily lowballing Subban) I'm not getting his reticence.

PK is a special player, plain and simple.

Old
01-17-2013, 03:48 PM
habtastic

Maybe this is part of the fan giveback.

During the opening ceremony, players introduced (AK makes cameo appearance to say his two words), crowd will inevitably be chanting PK. (Book it!)

All of a sudden lights go out and a confused murmur comes over the crowd. A minute later a light in the ceiling appears and PK parachutes down holding a lit torch to hit center ice initiating the full ice fire graphic.

It is then revealed that due to a recently written clause in the CBA (since it's now tots open to re-writing), you may hide a contract signing for reasons of suspense. Also, Meehan then goes on to win the world poker tournament.

Old
01-17-2013, 03:50 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post

During the opening ceremony, players introduced (AK makes cameo appearance to say his two words), crowd will inevitably be chanting PK. (Book it!)

All of a sudden lights go out and a confused murmur comes over the crowd. A minute later a light in the ceiling appears and PK parachutes down holding a lit torch to hit center ice initiating the full ice fire graphic.

It is then revealed that due to a recently written clause in the CBA (since it's now tots open to re-writing), you may hide a contract signing for reasons of suspense. Also, Meehan then goes on to win the world poker tournament.

Thank you for the 20 seconds of daydreaming you just gave me...

Old
01-17-2013, 03:51 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post

LMAO.

Is this the WWE?

Old
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I'm not getting the hold up. Given Subban's status as an high-end #1 D-man, a long-term deal would be heavily to the benefit of the club, assuming the dollar amount was reasonable.

Unless Bergevin is following the insanity of some of the Montreal media and using del Zotto as a comparable (and, therefore, heavily lowballing Subban) I'm not getting his reticence.

Good to have you back MathMan. You're bang on too.

Old
Miller Time

Quote:

quoted for truth

Old
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Just curious would anyone trade Subban for Benn if we could then flip Plekanec for a very good top pairing dman?
If anything Subban is being traded for Vinny or some other "character" veteran like Chelios was.

Old
01-17-2013, 03:53 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs
"Nothing new," @PKSubban1 agent Don Meehan texts me of negotiations with #Habs that we can assume are now fully stalled

eh....

Old
01-17-2013, 03:54 PM
Lshap

PK's bargaining power goes down once the season starts. Right now, he's a big story. In two days, he becomes overshadowed by the team, the league and the games, all going on with or without him. Once everyone's caught up in the action, the contract woes of a single player won't seem as important.

Old
01-17-2013, 03:55 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
PK's bargaining power goes down once the season starts. Right now, he's a big story. In two days, he becomes overshadowed by the team, the league and the games, all going on with or without him. Once everyone's caught up in the action, the contract woes of a single player won't seem as important.
Unless the Habs struggle in the absence of their best D-man, play-driver, and arguably best and most impactful player.

Old
01-17-2013, 03:56 PM
habtastic

Quote:

Agree. It's my preferred situation, although what I can surmise from the current gridlock is that he is asking for an unreasonable amount in the long-term situation.

Old
01-17-2013, 03:59 PM
DJ Breadman

Quote:

It's not quite that simple, there is an issue with eating into his free agent years, the best option would be to sign him to a short term deal(which MB wants to do) Then sign him to a long term deal

Old
01-17-2013, 04:00 PM
Lshap

Quote:

I said precisely the same thing yesterday and still believe it'll play out the way we both want, with a long-term deal. Lock him in for six years at a mildly inflated price, versus saving a couple of million now but having to pay wildly inflated prices after two years. It's bad economics and bad management strategy.

Old
01-17-2013, 04:00 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Subban has been a slow starter in the past, and he hasn't been playing at all since the begining of the season. I know he trains hard, but in my opinion it can't replace game time completely. Has he thought of the consequences if he manage to become one if not the highest paid player in the team, and struggle all season long to regain his form? The fans are ready to accept inconscistency from their prospects, but they are rabid against their well paid vets. I hope Subban see this scenario, because for a media darling like him, the fall could be very hard. In Montreal the line between savior and spacegoat can be pretty thin. Ask Price about it.

Old
01-17-2013, 04:01 PM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by id4joey View Post
It's going to get ugly in Montreal if they don't sign PK after the hockey fans just went through this lockout. PK is a fan favorite so the Habs better sign him very soon.
Can go both ways. Some fans will urge Bergi to sign him at all costs. They'll get mad at him for either taking so long, losing him or signing for too much. Some fans will hate PK for being so difficult and wanting to cash in.

I don't blame PK for wanting to cash in. He has a right to. He was important for us ever since he came to the team. Sure last year he wasn't as impressive. But the entire team sucked... What annoys me is that they can't seem to find a common ground. I'd rather they either sign him, or move on at this point.

Closed Thread