HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goalie Conundrum thread (2013 edition)

View Poll Results: Our Goalie Situation - What's the Fix?
Stick with Crawford - he'll bounce back 28 36.84%
Assume Emery Will Become Our # 1 4 5.26%
Wait for a Prospect to Be Ready (plz specify who) 3 3.95%
Trade for a Goalie (plz specify who) 21 27.63%
Sign a free agent Goalie (plz specify who) 0 0%
Reconcile ourselves to the fact we're weak in goal and our strength will come from elsewhere 17 22.37%
Other (plz specify) 3 3.95%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-17-2013, 08:17 AM
  #101
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!
 
Sir Psycho T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Posts: 3,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
As for saying Bernier, Markstrom and Lehner are all projected to be better players than McNeill at their positions, that's true.. but it's also true that goaltenders are extremely difficult to project and are by far the hardest to get a real read on how they'll perform in the NHL. By a result, Lehner and Markstrom may have higher potentials, but they're also far more likely to flop in the NHL than McNeill or another forward prospect.
Considering the Hawks current forward and prospect pool I am ok with that risk. Again it's not like the Hawks are giving up their 1 prospect that they have to try this. They would be moving a piece that have tons of other already for a desperate need, seems like a fair trade off to me.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 08:22 AM
  #102
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,841
vCash: 500
McNeill is a top prospect. Not a blue-chip prospect. Not a guy that's going to be a 1st liner in the NHL, but he is a top prospect and would be coveted by teams around the league.

I agree that you're not going to get a Lundqvist or Price for a package of prospects.. but Chicago doesn't need a Lundqvist or a Price, they just need someone who's better than Crawford. In a perfect world, Chicago could get someone who'd be better than Crawford this year and would be around in Chicago for the next 10-years, in his prime, but that's not going to happen. However, what they could do is get someone like Niklas Backstrom, who they know is better than Crawford this year, and go for it this year - which is what I'd say most of this board wants them to do.

Looking at the future, Lehner is likely a better piece to have than Backstrom, but looking at this year and probably next, Backstrom is the better option and Chicago needs a guy they can count on today, not someone they hope they can count on tomorrow.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:20 AM
  #103
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
Most teams hang on to a few of their best prospects and move lesser ones, the Hawks refuse to move even those who look like they won't ever pan out.
Or, you know, no team wants our lesser prospects? Ever think of that?

Just look at what it was going to take to get Grossman last year....Saad? Are you kidding me? If Dallas was asking for Saad for Grossman, what were they asking for Ribiero? If Roy got Ott+ what the hell did BUF want from Chicago? Bolland?

Other teams don't want our lesser prospects becaasue they already have those type of prospects on their team.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:22 AM
  #104
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 25,650
vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Or, you know, no team wants our lesser prospects? Ever think of that?

Just look at what it was going to take to get Grossman last year....Saad? Are you kidding me? If Dallas was asking for Saad for Grossman, what were they asking for Ribiero? If Roy got Ott+ what the hell did BUF want from Chicago? Bolland?

Other teams don't want our lesser prospects becaasue they already have those type of prospects on their team.
Well, either people don't value our prospects the same way the organization does and/or they just don't want to deal with Bowman. Because yeah, the whole trade deadline thing was very bizarre. A GM's job is to make his team better, period. You don't take significantly lesser deals just to spite another team.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:28 PM
  #105
hawksfan50
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,847
vCash: 500
I put "OTHER" --to specify:

Barring a fall out of the playoffs and a lottery pick for #1 (all 14 non-playoff teams will get a shot at #1 --albeit weighted chance) where we do get the #1
(take Seth Jones) -maybe this draft we ought to take a GOALIE with our first rounder...

THE QUESTION IS: DOES any goalie from this crop merit that risk and at what point in the draft -if any?

After seeing the TOP PROSPECTS GAME last night ---I saw confirmation that my original pre-game impression from the #1 NA rated goalie--ZACHARY FUCALE who on SOME LISTS showec as high as the 14th overall pick --was that his stats show HE CANNOT STOP PUCKS --despite playing for the top team in the Q--Halifax-and sdespite not facing lots of shots per game---his save % history does not suggest to ME that he desrved his hyped status as the #1 rated NA goalie by central scouting..
AGAIN-in this game he gives up 3 goals in his half a game work on 20 shots ...I never saw "IT" from him before this game and this game confirmed to me he CAN"T STOP PUCKS-I don't understand why he gets a #1NA rating..
PASS..

WE also saw SPENCER MARTIN start for team ORR --he stopped all 16 shots he faced--but I have seen him play for Mississauga (OHL) this season -and while he started the year great-he tailed off badly -I saw some gaes whee he could not stop a beach ball and I sawflaws in his technique--last night he was ON -but still I have serious doubts ..I do not think he is "THE SOLUTION"...

WE saw the 2 backups play the 2nd half of the game for their teams--- TRISTAN JARRY stopped all 16 shots for team Cherry in his stint ,PHILLIPE DESROSIERS
stopped all 4 shots (albeit good scoring chances) for Team Orr in his mop-up..

JARRY (6'2 181 is the back-up goalie in EDM (WHL) and only hs played 16 games
this year because EDM starter Laurent Brossoit gets most of the work--but he had 4 shutouts and a great save % (.934) and a 1.68GAA -and was spectacular in this game as several of the 16 shots he stoped were great scoring chances ..He plays a hybrid style -some of his saves were staight up standing --others were pad slides and drop down,good glove and refeles ,not many rebounds left out,good positioning and focus-but ALSO great CONFIDENCE--- i think this guy has the "IT" factor-and he ALSO handles the puck very well ..HE should be the #1 NA goalie -my instinct tells me --something just screams this kid could be very special..the trouble is --he has played less than Fucale or Comrie (CSS 2nd rated goalie who did not play in this game) so maybe the fewer views of him make him more riskky to asess-BUT my gut tells me he has got "IT" -that neither the top 2 rated NA goalies have ..
MARTIN -as I said I have seen both excel at times and really stink at times--and in any case I don't think he has great technique or glove hand..

DESROSIERS is interesting-- baby of the draft with an August birthdate-he has a lot of development ahead--but I liked what i saw (despite facing only shots) ..I liked his technique. My insinct tells me he may be the 2nd best NA goalie from this crop but I would like to see more views of him to confirm my short impression He is 6'1 187 with an august 16th '95 birthdate.. He is the #1 goalie for QUEBEC in the QMJHL and has played 33 games so far this year with a .905 save % facing 29.66 shots per game ...


So in NA goalies-these would be the 2 I would have the radar on for..

THE #1 rated eurogoalie--JUSSE SAROS --is not as big as either JARRY or DESROSIERS -he is only 5'10 181 --but he has posted a terrific .941 save% and
1.56 GAA in 25GP for HPK u-20 in the SM-liga JR A league so far --plus a 2.45 GAA and .921 save % in 9GP for the Finland U-18 team in tournaments this year..

WE shall see SAROS for Finland at the U-18 Worlds this spring and if he shines there -maybe he goes as the goalie takenfirst in the draft.
His history also shows great save % numbers in many of his earlier seasons in youth leagues..His 5'10 height though is a concern in this era of bigger goalies..Still-if you can stop pucks,that is what counts..

ANYWAY-IF STAN decides tro use our #1 pick (our only pick -unless we trade-in the first 3 rounds) -MAYBE he considers taking a goalie if other "targets" we might have taken are already off the board..
OR maybe he trades down a bit and takes one of these goalies anyway...

I have not seen SAROS play. I saw JARRY and DESROSIERS only once--so far -in the Top Prospects Game -- My hunch says take JARRY -i sense he is going to be the real deal...but-at some point STAN needs to gab a cream of the drsaft goalie-and waiting to long into later rounds -they tend to be already taken by other teams -and so we wonder WHY there is no "GOALIE OF THE FUTURE" designated as such by most hockey experts -in our pipeline --at some point we NEED to get a ROBIN LEHNER type talent who is viewed by the experts as the solution for top echelon goalie being developed inthe system.AT some point STAN can no longer avoid the issue-at some point we MUST RISK on a goalie of the future with a talent level to justify that hope of actually being that long hoped for SAVIOUR in goal ...SO i would have our scouts flock to see JARRY when he plays,flock to see DESROSIERS and flock to see SAROS -and get their "book" in order -just in case THIS TIME we use our first for a goalie we think CAN BE that solution in future.. We cannot keep drafting later round maybes that we hope might develop into special greatness-we can't kep depending on pure luck-at some point we must IDENTIFY first rounder goalie material and with lucck get first crack at taking the highest ranked we can get off our list before somnebody else is astute enough to grab him first...

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:00 PM
  #106
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post
I put "OTHER" --to specify:

Barring a fall out of the playoffs and a lottery pick for #1 (all 14 non-playoff teams will get a shot at #1 --albeit weighted chance) where we do get the #1
(take Seth Jones) -maybe this draft we ought to take a GOALIE with our first rounder...

THE QUESTION IS: DOES any goalie from this crop merit that risk and at what point in the draft -if any?

After seeing the TOP PROSPECTS GAME last night ---I saw confirmation that my original pre-game impression from the #1 NA rated goalie--ZACHARY FUCALE who on SOME LISTS showec as high as the 14th overall pick --was that his stats show HE CANNOT STOP PUCKS --despite playing for the top team in the Q--Halifax-and sdespite not facing lots of shots per game---his save % history does not suggest to ME that he desrved his hyped status as the #1 rated NA goalie by central scouting..
AGAIN-in this game he gives up 3 goals in his half a game work on 20 shots ...I never saw "IT" from him before this game and this game confirmed to me he CAN"T STOP PUCKS-I don't understand why he gets a #1NA rating..
PASS..


WE also saw SPENCER MARTIN start for team ORR --he stopped all 16 shots he faced--but I have seen him play for Mississauga (OHL) this season -and while he started the year great-he tailed off badly -I saw some gaes whee he could not stop a beach ball and I sawflaws in his technique--last night he was ON -but still I have serious doubts ..I do not think he is "THE SOLUTION"...

WE saw the 2 backups play the 2nd half of the game for their teams--- TRISTAN JARRY stopped all 16 shots for team Cherry in his stint ,PHILLIPE DESROSIERS
stopped all 4 shots (albeit good scoring chances) for Team Orr in his mop-up..

JARRY (6'2 181 is the back-up goalie in EDM (WHL) and only hs played 16 games
this year because EDM starter Laurent Brossoit gets most of the work--but he had 4 shutouts and a great save % (.934) and a 1.68GAA -and was spectacular in this game as several of the 16 shots he stoped were great scoring chances ..He plays a hybrid style -some of his saves were staight up standing --others were pad slides and drop down,good glove and refeles ,not many rebounds left out,good positioning and focus-but ALSO great CONFIDENCE--- i think this guy has the "IT" factor-and he ALSO handles the puck very well ..HE should be the #1 NA goalie -my instinct tells me --something just screams this kid could be very special..the trouble is --he has played less than Fucale or Comrie (CSS 2nd rated goalie who did not play in this game) so maybe the fewer views of him make him more riskky to asess-BUT my gut tells me he has got "IT" -that neither the top 2 rated NA goalies have ..
MARTIN -as I said I have seen both excel at times and really stink at times--and in any case I don't think he has great technique or glove hand..

DESROSIERS is interesting-- baby of the draft with an August birthdate-he has a lot of development ahead--but I liked what i saw (despite facing only shots) ..I liked his technique. My insinct tells me he may be the 2nd best NA goalie from this crop but I would like to see more views of him to confirm my short impression He is 6'1 187 with an august 16th '95 birthdate.. He is the #1 goalie for QUEBEC in the QMJHL and has played 33 games so far this year with a .905 save % facing 29.66 shots per game ...


So in NA goalies-these would be the 2 I would have the radar on for..

THE #1 rated eurogoalie--JUSSE SAROS --is not as big as either JARRY or DESROSIERS -he is only 5'10 181 --but he has posted a terrific .941 save% and
1.56 GAA in 25GP for HPK u-20 in the SM-liga JR A league so far --plus a 2.45 GAA and .921 save % in 9GP for the Finland U-18 team in tournaments this year..

WE shall see SAROS for Finland at the U-18 Worlds this spring and if he shines there -maybe he goes as the goalie takenfirst in the draft.
His history also shows great save % numbers in many of his earlier seasons in youth leagues..His 5'10 height though is a concern in this era of bigger goalies..Still-if you can stop pucks,that is what counts..

ANYWAY-IF STAN decides tro use our #1 pick (our only pick -unless we trade-in the first 3 rounds) -MAYBE he considers taking a goalie if other "targets" we might have taken are already off the board..
OR maybe he trades down a bit and takes one of these goalies anyway...

I have not seen SAROS play. I saw JARRY and DESROSIERS only once--so far -in the Top Prospects Game -- My hunch says take JARRY -i sense he is going to be the real deal...but-at some point STAN needs to gab a cream of the drsaft goalie-and waiting to long into later rounds -they tend to be already taken by other teams -and so we wonder WHY there is no "GOALIE OF THE FUTURE" designated as such by most hockey experts -in our pipeline --at some point we NEED to get a ROBIN LEHNER type talent who is viewed by the experts as the solution for top echelon goalie being developed inthe system.AT some point STAN can no longer avoid the issue-at some point we MUST RISK on a goalie of the future with a talent level to justify that hope of actually being that long hoped for SAVIOUR in goal ...SO i would have our scouts flock to see JARRY when he plays,flock to see DESROSIERS and flock to see SAROS -and get their "book" in order -just in case THIS TIME we use our first for a goalie we think CAN BE that solution in future.. We cannot keep drafting later round maybes that we hope might develop into special greatness-we can't kep depending on pure luck-at some point we must IDENTIFY first rounder goalie material and with lucck get first crack at taking the highest ranked we can get off our list before somnebody else is astute enough to grab him first...
Fucale didn't look great last night - although the game was a grittier version of an all-star game - and I wouldn't use the NHL all-star game to judge the caliber of a goalie. Fucale's save % is misleading because Halifax is such an offensively dominant team and very heavy on puck possession. Because of that Fucale doesn't face a ton of "normal" shots...a lot of the shots against him seem to be when they're down a man or off odd man rushes.

Also - why do you ignore Comrie? He's worth considering, too.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:20 PM
  #107
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,841
vCash: 500
I was actually really impressed with Fucale in the 1st period of the game, though that's all I watched. The goal he gave up to Daulphin wasn't great, but it was a good shot. He looked alot bigger in the net than I thought he would. I haven't been all that high on Fucale, but from what I saw last night, he's starting to win me over a bit.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:30 PM
  #108
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
Some of you guys are clueless, in what Manti T'eo made up world does a mid level prospect and a late first round pick net your a proven #1 goalie?

Plus if the Sens where so willing to give up on Anderson I would be worried, why are you giving him up? Is it because you know the guys you have are better.

Again I ask this to people who state about not trading prospects for unproven assets, WHATS THE FING DIFFERENCE? I'm sorry did I miss the part where Mark McNeill is a proven NHL player, where he scored tons of NHL points in his career? Where he scored that big goal in the play-offs that onetime? did I miss where in 2013 the Hawks had a special clause that with their first round pick instead of drafting an undrafted player they could take a NHL player from a team? Or is it that you like most of the people on here, hero worship any stiff in a Hawks jersey and trash any player not because you have 0 clue what the heck it is your talking about.

I am amazed at how many people on here won't trade our prospects because they have this amazing future but don't want any teams other prospects because they haven't proven anything.Wheres the logic?

You know why you trade for prospects, because you can get them for cheaper. Imagine how much Braden Holtby would have cost a team interested last off-season, imagine how much he would cost today? If believe enough in your GM to draft players then you'd better believe in him enough to trade for them too.
Who isn't willing to trade those assets? Everybody would trade them - if it makes sense. McNeill or 1st alone for Lehner or Bernier, sure, I'd do it. Both for 1 of them? ****ing no. Bishop was traded for less than a 1st last season, why give up a 1st now? Makes no sense. Bad Asset Management.


We have to draft a goalie this year high. Need to go with the best on board unless a TT falls to us again.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:32 PM
  #109
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
I was actually really impressed with Fucale in the 1st period of the game, though that's all I watched. The goal he gave up to Daulphin wasn't great, but it was a good shot. He looked alot bigger in the net than I thought he would. I haven't been all that high on Fucale, but from what I saw last night, he's starting to win me over a bit.
he's usually better than last night.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:42 PM
  #110
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!
 
Sir Psycho T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Posts: 3,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Who isn't willing to trade those assets? Everybody would trade them - if it makes sense. McNeill or 1st alone for Lehner or Bernier, sure, I'd do it. Both for 1 of them? ****ing no. Bishop was traded for less than a 1st last season, why give up a 1st now? Makes no sense. Bad Asset Management.


We have to draft a goalie this year high. Need to go with the best on board unless a TT falls to us again.
It's too late. Drafting the next Patrick Roy does nothing to help this team. By the time he is in the NHL this team is being dismantled. Getting someone like Bernier or Lehner works because they have already developed to be ready for the NHL, a draft pick made this year won't be ready for 3-4 years and by then Hossa, Sharp, Keith are gone.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:48 PM
  #111
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 14,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
It's too late. Drafting the next Patrick Roy does nothing to help this team. By the time he is in the NHL this team is being dismantled. Getting someone like Bernier or Lehner works because they have already developed to be ready for the NHL, a draft pick made this year won't be ready for 3-4 years and by then Hossa, Sharp, Keith are gone.
Patrick Roy was a NHL starter at age 20. Bad example.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:49 PM
  #112
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,244
vCash: 500
why would this team be dismantled? Because Hossa would be gone and Sharp would be 35 years old? Other than that, all players would still be here. Our window is not closing.


Sharp will still be a solid Top6 option and Keith will be gone? Really?

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:58 PM
  #113
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,841
vCash: 500
Well, no.. if Crawford doesn't bounce back this year than Chicago does need to do something about it's goaltending. Our window isn't closing, but our best chance at winning is now and in the near future. I'm not saying to trade away all our prospects for proven players, but if Crawford drops the ball, they need to get a better goaltender, at least.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 04:13 PM
  #114
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!
 
Sir Psycho T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Posts: 3,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
why would this team be dismantled? Because Hossa would be gone and Sharp would be 35 years old? Other than that, all players would still be here. Our window is not closing.


Sharp will still be a solid Top6 option and Keith will be gone? Really?
Right, Hossa gone, Sharp 35, and Keith 33 and not the athlete he once was, are all easily replaceable. We have the best prospect pool in the history of the world, not just in hockey but any sport ever so we shouldn't worry about losing All-Star caliber players, they grow on trees.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 04:19 PM
  #115
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 14,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
Right, Hossa gone, Sharp 35, and Keith 33 and not the athlete he once was, are all easily replaceable. We have the best prospect pool in the history of the world, not just in hockey but any sport ever so we shouldn't worry about losing All-Star caliber players, they grow on trees.
There's no reason to think Keith will not still be an elite athlete at 33. 33 is not when careers end in this day and age of nutrition and workout regimes. Erik Cole is not an elite talent and just put up 35 goals at age 33. Hossa, Whitney, Iginla, Doan....lots of guys in their mid-30's that are still really good players.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 04:20 PM
  #116
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 14,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Well, no.. if Crawford doesn't bounce back this year than Chicago does need to do something about it's goaltending. Our window isn't closing, but our best chance at winning is now and in the near future. I'm not saying to trade away all our prospects for proven players, but if Crawford drops the ball, they need to get a better goaltender, at least.
Agreed. This year is Crawford's last chance. If he and Emery are struggling, I fully expect they'll make a move for a goalie, even if its a prospecty goalie.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 04:28 PM
  #117
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
I was actually really impressed with Fucale in the 1st period of the game, though that's all I watched. The goal he gave up to Daulphin wasn't great, but it was a good shot. He looked alot bigger in the net than I thought he would. I haven't been all that high on Fucale, but from what I saw last night, he's starting to win me over a bit.
I have been high on him for a bit, I said in another thread he should be a goalie we take a hard look at in the 1st round and I got jumped on by everybody. I just cant remember what thread it was.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 04:31 PM
  #118
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!
 
Sir Psycho T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Posts: 3,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
There's no reason to think Keith will not still be an elite athlete at 33. 33 is not when careers end in this day and age of nutrition and workout regimes. Erik Cole is not an elite talent and just put up 35 goals at age 33. Hossa, Whitney, Iginla, Doan....lots of guys in their mid-30's that are still really good players.
But for a guy like Keith who plays more minutes then just about anyone else and who relies on his skating as his best asset, it can be a problem. I don't think Seabrook will have an problems at that age because his game isn't reliant on his athletic ability, where as Keiths is.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 04:37 PM
  #119
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 14,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
But for a guy like Keith who plays more minutes then just about anyone else and who relies on his skating as his best asset, it can be a problem. I don't think Seabrook will have an problems at that age because his game isn't reliant on his athletic ability, where as Keiths is.
At 35, Lidstrom was playing 28 minutes a game which is more than Keith plays now at age 28. I'm not saying Keith = Lidstrom, but you can still be a big minute defenseman in your mid-30's if you stay in shape. Plus it assumes that Keith won't change his game as he gets older like most players do. Hell Dan Boyle just put up 3 50 point seasons in a row at age 33-34-35 playing over 25 mins a night. Brian Campbell just had one of the best seasons of his career at age 32, Keith hasn't even turned 29 yet!

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 04:37 PM
  #120
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,423
vCash: 500
Our window is no where close to closing.

Detroit, Vancouver are teams with windows closing.
A team with Toews, Kane, Bolland, Seabrook is still a solid core.

Anyone who thinks the window is closing is lying to themselves.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 04:49 PM
  #121
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!
 
Sir Psycho T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Posts: 3,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Our window is no where close to closing.

Detroit, Vancouver are teams with windows closing.
A team with Toews, Kane, Bolland, Seabrook is still a solid core.

Anyone who thinks the window is closing is lying to themselves.
Right because Toews, Kane, Bolland, Seabrook, and no goalie is really the recipe of winning today. That group, with Hossa, Keith and Sharp, has lost in the first round the last 2 years, what makes you think without them they get any better? So, yes the window is closing on this team.

Hossa is a all-world player, one of the best RW to play this generation, he isn't easily replaced.

Keith is a Norris trophy winning D-man, how many active NHL players have Norris trophies? 4, but really 3 as Pronger isn't likely to play again, they don't exactly just fall into your lap.

Sharp is a multiple position playing, two way, 30 goal scorer, again search the NHL and make a list of players that fit that criteria.

You are losing 3 of the better players in the NHL, Multiple Time All-Stars, guys who just don't find. But you think when those 3 guys are gone the Hawks will be just fine?

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:09 PM
  #122
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,423
vCash: 500
Right, because the team wont improve in other areas or get a better goaltender ever.

What you are talking about, is the absolute worse case scenario that isn't very likely.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:19 PM
  #123
BobbyJet
Registered User
 
BobbyJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dundas, Ontario. Can
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Well, no.. if Crawford doesn't bounce back this year than Chicago does need to do something about it's goaltending. Our window isn't closing, but our best chance at winning is now and in the near future. I'm not saying to trade away all our prospects for proven players, but if Crawford drops the ball, they need to get a better goaltender, at least.
I hope Stan isn't as lackadaisical as many here when it comes to goaltending this season. Never mind the fact that Crawford is a liability, suppose he was to get injured with Emery and Hutton (or Simpson) to fall back on. Now that's a recipe for failure. We have been treading a fine line lately when it comes to our goaltending and risk getting badly bitten by it. Stan needs to get another body in here quickly.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:26 PM
  #124
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!
 
Sir Psycho T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Posts: 3,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Right, because the team wont improve in other areas or get a better goaltender ever.

What you are talking about, is the absolute worse case scenario that isn't very likely.
Are you kidding, my scenario is middle of the road, you want me to begin to give worst case scenario.

We lose all 3 of those players, or least them in their prime.

Toews starts to suffer from concussions at a Crosby like rate and can't stay on the ice anymore.

Kane not wanting to play in Chicago with aging stars and a captain who can't stay on the ice leaves after his contract.

Bolland doesn't get any better and is a middle of the road 2nd line C at best.

Our prospects don't pan out at all and the Hawks instead of being a good team in 5 years they are a train wreck the likes of 2000-2006 and no one wants to go see them play anymore.

And that's not even the absolute worst case scenario.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:48 PM
  #125
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,841
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
I hope Stan isn't as lackadaisical as many here when it comes to goaltending this season. Never mind the fact that Crawford is a liability, suppose he was to get injured with Emery and Hutton (or Simpson) to fall back on. Now that's a recipe for failure. We have been treading a fine line lately when it comes to our goaltending and risk getting badly bitten by it. Stan needs to get another body in here quickly.
If Crawford got injured for any significant period of time, Bowman would go out and get a goaltender, I have no doubt about that.. unless, somehow, Emery played out of his mind - but obviously no one would expect or count on that.

Chicago may even go out and get another goaltender regardless.. but they're going to see how Crawford performs before making that decision, I would think.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.