HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part XLVII All talk from around the league here

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-17-2013, 04:52 PM
  #26
habtastic
Registered User
 
habtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai via MTL
Country: India
Posts: 9,264
vCash: 500
I thought Budaj filled in admirably, having one or two really great games. I'm quite happy with him as backup.

habtastic is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 04:53 PM
  #27
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 500
Budaj > Desjardins > Irving IMHO. But not important.

I think we've kind of got our grinder guys sorted out now, so those like Kostopoulos or Winchester, if they can't stick with other teams, well, maybe we aren't so desperate anymore!

If we are going to start the season with PK on the sidelines, I'd think about claiming Brian Strait, however. Keep going with 8D. He's more along the lines of Gorges in terms of having an understated approach to D, but he's a free asset we might actually have a roster spot for if Subban is out. I'd rather keep 8D. I'd rather not have one of them be Tinordi (needs to play bigger mins in Hamilton) or Commodore. Strait might be a stay-at-home type to complement a Diaz, Kaberle, or Weber in some fashion. Bouillon is gone next year, and likely one of the PMD too (Kaberle or Weber). Having an NHL-ready keep-it-simple, ultra-cheap young D like Strait might be a fit.

Blind Gardien is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 06:03 PM
  #28
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,970
vCash: 500
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Multiple teams considering options on both. LA, STL, TOR, FLA among those kicking tires on Redden, ANA and CAR among those considering Gomez

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
No guarantees but Wade Redden may agree to terms with an NHL team as early as tonight. Gomez not likely tonight but in next day or so.

Andy is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 06:07 PM
  #29
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Multiple teams considering options on both. LA, STL, TOR, FLA among those kicking tires on Redden, ANA and CAR among those considering Gomez

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
No guarantees but Wade Redden may agree to terms with an NHL team as early as tonight. Gomez not likely tonight but in next day or so.
Some people's garbage is another's treasure...

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 06:11 PM
  #30
FireBergevin
Wild & unwilling
 
FireBergevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,228
vCash: 500
Nonis is picking up right where Burke left off, it seems.

FireBergevin is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 06:12 PM
  #31
habtastic
Registered User
 
habtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai via MTL
Country: India
Posts: 9,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBergevin View Post
Nonis is picking up right where Burke left off, it seems.
How so? Lombardi? Seems like he's actually acquiring picks.

habtastic is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 06:13 PM
  #32
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,970
vCash: 500
John Lu ‏@JohnLuTSNMtl
Now that former #Habs C Gomez is a UFA, @TSNBobMcKenzie cites Canes, Ducks or Sharks as teams potentially interested in his services

Andy is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 06:14 PM
  #33
FireBergevin
Wild & unwilling
 
FireBergevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
How so? Lombardi? Seems like he's actually acquiring picks.
He's having a look at Redden (Bernier too).

Wow, Sharks looking at Gomez? These guys are permanently stuck in the year 2007.

FireBergevin is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 09:45 PM
  #34
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,365
vCash: 500
Could have used a 3rd goalie tonight, no?

gusfring is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 09:53 PM
  #35
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,411
vCash: 500
I could see Calgary going after Gomez, they have a terrible group of centres and just got Cervenka who seems to be Mr.Glass.

OneSharpMarble is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 09:59 PM
  #36
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 18,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
I thought Budaj filled in admirably, having one or two really great games. I'm quite happy with him as backup.
I liked Budaj a lot last year...he looked to me like a league average goalie, despite limited time and a weak defense in front of him..the type of guy who won't win you games, but won't lose them for you either. He's the perfect backup IMO.

Et le But is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 06:30 AM
  #37
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,962
vCash: 500
Just so that people take everything that happens at the WJC with a grain of salt....Dumba was cut as he was clearly not good enough for the tournament. And he will start the year with the Wild.

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 06:50 AM
  #38
Boom Boom Anton
Registered User
 
Boom Boom Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,992
vCash: 500
Per the Canes beat writer. https://twitter.com/ice_chip

Quote:
Was told Canes have no interest in Gomez.

Boom Boom Anton is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 07:36 AM
  #39
vokiel
I hate blind passes
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 7,205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
Per the Canes beat writer. https://twitter.com/ice_chip
Cue *Dragnet*

So it's all up to Anaheim & San Jose? What the hell is San Jose brass thinking?

vokiel is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 07:53 AM
  #40
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP
 
DekeLikeYouMeanIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,586
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Just so that people take everything that happens at the WJC with a grain of salt....Dumba was cut as he was clearly not good enough for the tournament. And he will start the year with the Wild.
Honestly the Wild lack quality depth.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 09:15 AM
  #41
FireBergevin
Wild & unwilling
 
FireBergevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Cue *Dragnet*

So it's all up to Anaheim & San Jose? What the hell is San Jose brass thinking?
Same crap they think every year. "Ooh I recognize that name from a few years ago. Get him! Get him!"

FireBergevin is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 09:51 AM
  #42
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Just so that people take everything that happens at the WJC with a grain of salt....Dumba was cut as he was clearly not good enough for the tournament. And he will start the year with the Wild.
I would say it's also a good idea to take another grain of salt when you see a team of rusty locked out NHLers keep their junior top-10 pick who played all year around for at least a 5-game confidence-building cameo.

Dumba always looks good in stretches, and was actually my favourite D at the time of the draft last year, but I think the Wild are bonkers if they plan on giving him more than a token cup of coffee right now. He could definitely use a little confidence booster, though, with his poor WHL season and the failure to make Team Canada, it's a smart gesture. They've got a lot invested in the pick. So it's a reasonable move for them all the same.

Blind Gardien is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 10:55 AM
  #43
Maverik
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 579
vCash: 500
Kovalev made the team in Florida..

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/354830.html

Maverik is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 11:23 AM
  #44
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,334
vCash: 256
Word on the street is that Tim Connolly has been picked up on waivers by guess who??? The Islanders who are building a team through waivers.

Lucky break for the Leafs if true, Isles take on the contract which frees up money for the Leafs + they don't use the buyout

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 11:27 AM
  #45
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik View Post
Kovalev made the team in Florida..

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/354830.html
Happy for him. I always liked him as a Hab and thought he did a lot of great things in the community.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 11:42 AM
  #46
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
Honestly the Wild lack quality depth.
Lacking quality depth on D on a NHL team has to still be tougher to beat than on a WJC of Team Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I would say it's also a good idea to take another grain of salt when you see a team of rusty locked out NHLers keep their junior top-10 pick who played all year around for at least a 5-game confidence-building cameo.

Dumba always looks good in stretches, and was actually my favourite D at the time of the draft last year, but I think the Wild are bonkers if they plan on giving him more than a token cup of coffee right now. He could definitely use a little confidence booster, though, with his poor WHL season and the failure to make Team Canada, it's a smart gesture. They've got a lot invested in the pick. So it's a reasonable move for them all the same.
True. Yet, d-men that don't do the job, I mean, as much as it was reported by people watching Team Canada's evaluation camp, would not have gotten this far, no matter the depth, no matter the length of the try-out. Dumba was a liability during camp. He wasn't just an unfortunately great player with not enough spots for him...he was plain bad. Or so they said.

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 11:56 AM
  #47
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,393
vCash: 500
The Toronto Maple Leafs no longer seem like a probable trading partner for Roberto Luongo.
The Canucks and Maple Leafs were reportedly working on a proposal that involved Nazem Kadri, Tyler Bozak, and a second round pick at one point. However, Toronto went out of its way to make room on the roster for Kadri by trading Matthew Lombardi and waiving Tim Connolly. New Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis might also recently stated "I’m not going to give up youth for older players." It seems like Toronto is committed to a youth movement that doesn't mesh well with the concept of training some of their young talent for a 33-year-old goaltender.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 11:56 AM
  #48
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,242
vCash: 500
Rielly sent back to the dub. Good move by Nonis.

Roulin is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 12:06 PM
  #49
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,943
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The Toronto Maple Leafs no longer seem like a probable trading partner for Roberto Luongo.
The Canucks and Maple Leafs were reportedly working on a proposal that involved Nazem Kadri, Tyler Bozak, and a second round pick at one point. However, Toronto went out of its way to make room on the roster for Kadri by trading Matthew Lombardi and waiving Tim Connolly. New Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis might also recently stated "I’m not going to give up youth for older players." It seems like Toronto is committed to a youth movement that doesn't mesh well with the concept of training some of their young talent for a 33-year-old goaltender.
I would do Kadri, Bozak and a 2nd for Luongo in a heartbeat if I were Toronto. Luongo isn't perfect but he's still getting ridiculously undervalued because his large (but not, evidently, unmoveable) contract.

As for Toronto, who cares about a youth movement if you can't stop pucks? Didn't they go with a "youth movement" last year with Reimer/Scrivens/Rynnas? How did that work out?

hototogisu is online now  
Old
01-18-2013, 12:11 PM
  #50
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,943
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Word on the street is that Tim Connolly has been picked up on waivers by guess who??? The Islanders who are building a team through waivers.

Lucky break for the Leafs if true, Isles take on the contract which frees up money for the Leafs + they don't use the buyout
Looks like the report was false. Isles did pick up Brian Strait off waivers though.

hototogisu is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.