HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL XIX | Back in action! | Next Game: @ Jets, 3pm

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2013, 02:43 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

vCash: 500
I red Hanzal's brother over here in the UK every weekend...

Just saying.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:15 AM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix Rises 2026 View Post
I was thinking they might be unloading someone else. Otherwise, why would phoenix of all teams trade for an overpaid 3rd liner?
Before injuries and Toronto, Lombardi was more a 2nd liner... not a pure top-6 forward but an excellent player, think about Foligno with more speed and hockey sense

46, 36, 46, 53 are the points he got per season from 2006-07 to 2009-10, and he did that with Calgary and Phoenix, who weren't exactly powerhouses

A bit like Latendresse, his value went down a lot because of what happened in 2010-11 and 2011-12. Those guys can rebound but have to stay healthy

Phoenix believe Lombardi can rebound and were ready to pay a 3rd/4th round pick

Old
01-17-2013, 09:20 AM
RedWhiteBlackGold

vCash: 50
I'm sure it's been mentioned but does anyone know how much cap space a team can retain on a contract?

I know Toronto is keeping Lombardi's 500k signing bonus and a portion of his cap hit, just curious as to how much on a contract a team can keep.

01-17-2013, 09:33 AM
God Says No

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWhiteBlackGold View Post
I'm sure it's been mentioned but does anyone know how much cap space a team can retain on a contract?

I know Toronto is keeping Lombardi's 500k signing bonus and a portion of his cap hit, just curious as to how much on a contract a team can keep.
i've heard up to 50%. don't quote me on that.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:36 AM
RedWhiteBlackGold

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Says No View Post
i've heard up to 50%. don't quote me on that.
I was thinking that since at least under the old CBA if someone claimed Redden off waivers NY would be on the line for half his cap.

Just wasn't 100% sure so figured I'd ask and see if someone knew for certain.

Old
01-17-2013, 10:01 AM
Mercurial
#lalala

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Tim Connolly not on the ice at Leafs practice. It's expected Connolly will be placed on waivers. More opportunity for players in system.

Nonis clearing house, Suck for Seth?

Old
01-17-2013, 10:03 AM
GK
Not Jeeks

I wonder who picks up Connolly first. I wonder why they didn't try to deal him for picks first?

With Lombardi gone for a fourth and Connolly off the team for nothing I wonder if they're clearing space for a Lou deal, or are going for the lottery pick, which you get as long as you don't make the playoffs.. Or, perhaps they're going the way of the Sens, and are hoping the young guys get them to the playoffs.

Old
01-17-2013, 10:21 AM
newerabegins

man toronto is just such a badly managed team. worst in the league in my opinion. so many bad contracts, the lombardi, komisarek, connolly, etc. and bad trades like the kessel trade that if they hadn't done it would be looking better right now looking forward. terrible. they should just roll with their young players, get what they get at the draft and stop being so impatient

Old
01-17-2013, 10:39 AM
RedWhiteBlackGold

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisealfie11 View Post
man toronto is just such a badly managed team. worst in the league in my opinion. so many bad contracts, the lombardi, komisarek, connolly, etc. and bad trades like the kessel trade that if they hadn't done it would be looking better right now looking forward. terrible. they should just roll with their young players, get what they get at the draft and stop being so impatient
So then you think the new GM is doing a good job so far moving out Lombardi and Connolly.

It's true though, what they need to do is keep their draft picks and stop throwing money and picks to try and solve their problems immediately. If I was a Leafs fan I would be blaming the owners right now for hiring such failures as GM's, although it's probably the owners pressuring the GM's to find an immediate solution instead of allowing one to plan out a future. Either way their failure each season amuses me, so keep doing what they do best.

Last edited by RedWhiteBlackGold: 01-17-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old
01-17-2013, 11:11 AM
WantEggRoll

vCash: 177
Cannone on waivers for Ottawa. Gotta watch out for the New York Islanders waiver All-Star team.

Old
01-17-2013, 11:15 AM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantEggRoll View Post
Cannone on waivers for Ottawa. Gotta watch out for the New York Islanders waiver All-Star team.
Who the hell would claim Cannone?

Old
01-17-2013, 11:17 AM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

Flames waived both their back-up goalies in Karlsson and Irving. Very weird.

Old
01-17-2013, 11:17 AM
WantEggRoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob Silfverberg View Post
Who the hell would claim Cannone?
Probably noone, but you never know with teams like the Islanders and Phoenix hanging around.

Old
01-17-2013, 11:18 AM
SenzZen

Whoops wrong thread.

Old
01-17-2013, 11:25 AM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisealfie11 View Post
They got rid of Lombardi for basically a 3rd round pick (Good chance he re-signs IMO) that is great value. They probably tried to Connolly but no takers, and are giving spots to the young guys. How are they being badly managed? We're in a great situation with our cap our farm system in the minors and in junior hasn't been this good in a long time. You can complain about Burke all you want but he was totally against the long contracts and it's going to pay off down the road. We're probably in one of the best positions to be in with this new CBA. Badly managed...not at all.

Old
01-17-2013, 11:26 AM
Stats01

Who on the team has a bad contract right now besides Komisarek?

Old
01-17-2013, 11:33 AM
Daffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Who on the team has a bad contract right now besides Komisarek?
Theu really don't have many bad contracts. They just are in very bad shape prospect wise. Not much high end talent there. No goaltending in sight, or number 1 centre. They need a few more years of real solid drafts to get back on track.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:00 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Grabovski is not worth 5.5 x 5 years.
He is getting paid more than Kessel.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:06 PM
R2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
They got rid of Lombardi for basically a 3rd round pick (Good chance he re-signs IMO) that is great value. They probably tried to Connolly but no takers, and are giving spots to the young guys. How are they being badly managed? We're in a great situation with our cap our farm system in the minors and in junior hasn't been this good in a long time. You can complain about Burke all you want but he was totally against the long contracts and it's going to pay off down the road. We're probably in one of the best positions to be in with this new CBA. Badly managed...not at all.
"We're in a great situation..."
I think you forgot the

"...our farm system in the minors and in junior hasn't been this good in a long time."
Yes it was usually league bottom and now it is league average. Considering the draft positions you guys have been in you could have a top of the line system but sadly bad draft pick after bad draft pick has kept your system relatively weak. Think of a very strong draft in 2011. Toronto traded the 30th and 39th pick for the 22nd and then picked a very mediocre Tyler Biggs. Who were picked with the other two picks? Oh yeah Rickard Rakell and John Gibson. Then they picked Stuart Percy 25th.

Lets think of some other people drafted in the late 1st and 2nd rounds they could of had with those picks. Matt Puempel, Phillip Danault, Nicklas Jensen, Ty Rattie, Tomas Jurco, Brandon Saad, Boone Jenner, Rickard Rakell, John Gibson, Dmitrij Jaskin, Victor Rask, Brett Ritchie, Markus Granlund, Magnus Hellberg, Rocco Grimaldi, Shane Prince, William Karlsson, Xavier Oullet, Nikita Kucherov, Scott Harrington.

Last edited by R2010: 01-17-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old
01-17-2013, 02:50 PM
Lenny the Lynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Tim Connolly not on the ice at Leafs practice. It's expected Connolly will be placed on waivers. More opportunity for players in system.

Nonis clearing house, Suck for Seth?
The Leafs don't need to waive anyone to come in last place.

Old
01-17-2013, 04:01 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
I like what Nonis has done so far. Dumping the trash and letting the kids try and prove themselves.

Old
01-17-2013, 04:06 PM
WantEggRoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
I like what Nonis has done so far. Dumping the trash and letting the kids try and prove themselves.
I disagree. I am much happier when Toronto continues to use older players and maintains their position as a bubble team. No playoff qualifications and no more picks like Rielly.

Old
01-17-2013, 04:14 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
I'm probably in the minority, but I'd love to see every Canadian team in the playoffs. I'd love a shot to shut those Leafs fans up who always bring up the fact we haven't beaten them in a playoff series.

Old
01-17-2013, 04:21 PM
WantEggRoll

Quote:
I'm probably in the minority, but I'd love to see every Canadian team in the playoffs. I'd love a shot to shut those Leafs fans up who always bring up the fact we haven't beaten them in a playoff series.
Oh trust me they are the type of people that would just jump to the next point of bragging. No matter what you do that fan base will always cling to something that makes them "better".

Old
01-17-2013, 04:24 PM
armani
Guy Likes

Quote:
Would be a disaster for NHL/NBC and the US market, but I would love it!

Closed Thread