HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Sundin vs Alfie

View Poll Results: Who is better Daniel Alfredsson or Mats Sundin?
Mats Sundin 117 63.93%
Daniel Alfredsson 66 36.07%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-17-2013, 04:22 PM
johnnyutah

vCash: 500
Sundin vs Alfie

Whos better?

johnnyutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 04:26 PM
Hurt

Moved to Polls.

01-17-2013, 05:02 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

I have a lot of respect for Alffie, but Sundin was a truly outstanding player. I picked Sundin.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:22 PM
Erik Alfredsson
Beast Mode Cowboy!

Friggin Alfie! Alfie entered the league at 24 year old, he played 16 seasons. Although Alfredsson might be worse offensively then Sundin, it's very close and not as much of a difference then people think. Alfredsson played a way more complete game then Sundin having defensive ability as well, while Sundin relied on his offense. Alfredsson was effected by two lockouts now, one happening in the prime of his career. Sundin also had the benefit of being in the middle of the ice most of the time due to his position, while Alfredsson plays the right. Alfredsson also had leadership quality's as well, carrying his team to the finals in 07. Mats Sundin did lead Sweden, however was the most experienced player on the team and was a sure choice for the c just for that, he didn't even lead Sweden in points... for such a better player then Alfredsson, he ended up behind him the points. Mats has no trophies and Alfies got two. Mats never took his team even to the finals, when Alfie did it, and should've been a cup (03)

Erik Alfredsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:29 PM
jbeck5

Obviously alfie...can sundin still skate?

jbeck5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:29 PM
Falcons93

Sundin for me.

Falcons93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:30 PM
The Big Swede

Alfie is better two way player but Sundin was better offensively and never played with anyone except a washed up Mogilny and Robert. Alfie played with Heatley and Spezza

And if were counting international accomplishments Sundin was the captain of Sweden when they won the cup(A team that included the likes of Alfie,Lidstrom,Forsberg)

The Big Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:34 PM
darglor

Homer: Alfie AINEC
Homerism aside: Alfie and it's very close. Offense is better for Sundin, defense/leadership/team commitment is better for Alfie.

darglor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:35 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Sundin AINEMFC

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:36 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Swede View Post
Alfie is better two way player but Sundin was better offensively and never played with anyone except a washed up Mogilny and Robert. Alfie played with Heatley and Spezza

And if were counting international accomplishments Sundin was the captain of Sweden when they won the cup(A team that included the likes of Alfie,Lidstrom,Forsberg)
Mogilny was a point a game player pretty much for the leafs... Plus you make it seem like alfie played with heater and spezz for most of his career. His time with those 2 is a small portion of his career. Like 2-3 years out of 16... Who was alfies center the 9 years before the lockout? (you're wrong if you say yashin or daigle)...or how about the last 3-4 years? (you're wrong if you say spezza)...

I'm sick of people saying alfie's numbers are as good as they are because of spezza and heatley...sure, they all benefited...alfredsson got 85-100 points with those 2...but proved to be over a point a game playing with average players...so maybe he would have 20-30 points less in his career if he didn't play with spezza and heatley...it is such a small factor that isn't worth mentioning when he's had such a long career. It's too insignificant of a difference.

Old
01-17-2013, 05:38 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
The first ballot hall of famer MATS SUNDIN!

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:40 PM
The Big Swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
Mogilny was a point a game player pretty much for the leafs... Plus you make it seem like alfie played with heater and spezz for most of his career. His time with those 2 is a small portion of his career. Like 2-3 years out of 16... Who was alfies center the 9 years before the lockout? (you're wrong if you say yashin or daigle)...or how about the last 3-4 years? (you're wrong if you say spezza)...

I'm sick of people saying alfie's numbers are as good as they are because of spezza and heatley...sure, they all benefited...alfredsson got 85-100 points with those 2...but proved to be over a point a game playing with average players...so maybe he would have 20-30 points less in his career if he didn't play with spezza and heatley...it is such a small factor that isn't worth mentioning when he's had such a long career. It's too insignificant of a difference.
Sundin also played with guys called Jonas Hoglund ,imagine if he would have had a decent winger for at least half of his career

The Big Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:43 PM
Orr123

Sundin, definitely better. But I prefer Alfie. Obviously. Lol.

Orr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:44 PM
Falcons93

Quote:
Sundin also played with guys called Jonas Hoglund ,imagine if he would have had a decent winger for at least half of his career
Look at how many points Sundin had compared to his teammates and how many points Alfredsson had/has compared to his teammates throughout their careers. Alfredsson clearly had a lot more to work with than Sundin. I don't see how anyone in their right mind could dispute that. Not to mention I'm fairly confident Sundin didn't play with Mogilny for more than half a season other than the PP (though I may be wrong, I'm sure someone could look this up).

Falcons93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:45 PM
FireEverybody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML g u n n e R s View Post
The first ballot hall of famer MATS SUNDIN!
Annnnd everyone is mad.

Sundin, this is kind of...kidding.. not even close, son.

FireEverybody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:51 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
I would like to think they both didn't have very good linemates for most of their career. Hoglund was pretty bad haha but we had guys like schaefer, arvedsson, dackell, mecheachern, white, smolinski, as a rotating door for centers and other wingers. All(except for shawn and smoke) never really had a career anywhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcons93 View Post
Look at how many points Sundin had compared to his teammates and how many points Alfredsson had/has compared to his teammates throughout their careers. Alfredsson clearly had a lot more to work with than Sundin. I don't see how anyone in their right mind could dispute that. Not to mention I'm fairly confident Sundin didn't play with Mogilny for more than half a season other than the PP (though I may be wrong, I'm sure someone could look this up).
Alfredsson had more pure talent on his team, but he didn't play with them. You'd have hossa,alfredsson, and havlat on all 3 lines. Yeah, i don't think mogilny played much with sundin other then pp, you're probably right..it was more just in response to the person who mentioned mogilny like he was a scrub by the time he got to toronto, which i disagree with.

Old
01-17-2013, 05:54 PM
inthewings

Point shares:

Sundin = 144.4 in 1346 games
Alfredsson 125.2 1131 games

Id you like that as a metric... it's close. Very close.

inthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Crispy Crust

Sundin but it's really close.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:02 PM
inthewings

Both will enter the HOF anyway

Old
01-17-2013, 06:05 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 1150
Too close, would have been an appropriate option between these two.

leaflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:08 PM
MastuhNinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewings View Post
Point shares:

Sundin = 144.4 in 1346 games
Alfredsson 125.2 1131 games

Id you like that as a metric... it's close. Very close.
If you want to bring stats like that into play, it's worth noting that Mats Sundin is 35th all time in GVT. Not sure where Alfie ranks, he's not on the list.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:14 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 627
I would think even Alfie would vote for Sundin here. Sundin's very much respected in Swedish hockey circles (or so I've been told ), so it stands to reason he'd get the nod here.

Also, having watched him play for most of the time he was here, I can throw my own vote down for him as well. And isn't that just as important?

01-17-2013, 06:19 PM
inthewings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
If you want to bring stats like that into play, it's worth noting that Mats Sundin is 35th all time in GVT. Not sure where Alfie ranks, he's not on the list.
I'm going to assume (because I don't have the data) that Alfie would make up a big part of the difference if given the opportunity to make up the 215 games Sundin has on him.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:26 PM
Regal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Alfredsson View Post
Friggin Alfie! Alfie entered the league at 24 year old, he played 16 seasons. Although Alfredsson might be worse offensively then Sundin, it's very close and not as much of a difference then people think. Alfredsson played a way more complete game then Sundin having defensive ability as well, while Sundin relied on his offense. Alfredsson was effected by two lockouts now, one happening in the prime of his career. Sundin also had the benefit of being in the middle of the ice most of the time due to his position, while Alfredsson plays the right. Alfredsson also had leadership quality's as well, carrying his team to the finals in 07. Mats Sundin did lead Sweden, however was the most experienced player on the team and was a sure choice for the c just for that, he didn't even lead Sweden in points... for such a better player then Alfredsson, he ended up behind him the points. Mats has no trophies and Alfies got two. Mats never took his team even to the finals, when Alfie did it, and should've been a cup (03)
So was Sundin.

This is really close for me, it's hard to decide. I don't think they were that far apart offensively. Sundin never had great linemates, but I don't think it would have drastically improved his totals. Alfredsson has been that 70+ point guy just like Sundin for the most part. Sundin was better internationally, started younger, generally more durable, and had a longer prime. I think Alfredsson might have been a bit better at his best, was better defensively, and had played, and played well, at a later age. I might give a small edge to Sundin. I think he had a bit more of an ability to take over a game, but I liked Alfredsson more.

Regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:27 PM
Benny FTW
TurnSoonestToTheSea

vCash: 50
Alfredsson because poll was worded poorly.

for reals its Sundin. sadface

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote