HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Calgary needs to move defenseman

Old
01-17-2013, 04:11 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
would love Giordano on the Isles...

Cant you guys just put him on Waivers for us
You do Tavares first, and then I promise we will

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 04:17 PM
Dr Robot

vCash: 641
I believe last year at the draft supposedly and I don't know if this was just a HFboard rumor but it was dagostini and a first for Bowemeester and it didn't work out, I think the flames nixed it. If the flames were willing to take some of his salary I think the same offer could be on the table with maybe an additional second depending on how much.

Dr Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 04:38 PM
nogger
Former 4th liner

vCash: 50
If we get rid of Bouw that just creates a HUGE hole for us on D.

Unless we can trade him and get a top 4 d back, I don't see a point.

nogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 04:52 PM
blankall

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogger View Post
If we get rid of Bouw that just creates a HUGE hole for us on D.

Unless we can trade him and get a top 4 d back, I don't see a point.
With uncertainty surrounding Wideman, I cannot see the Flames move JBo. The Flames would not have acquired Wideman and Hudler if the plan was to go for the rebuild. If Wideman steps up this year, then JBo could be moved.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:06 PM
Paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
If Wideman steps up this year, then JBo could be moved.
Even then that's iffy. The Flames biggest problem last year was having a top 4 that included Butler in it. If Butler doesn't drastically improve and Brodie doesn't develop heavily the Flames would still need to overpay for a UFA defenseman capable of carrying a lot of minutes before trading Bouwmeester. Otherwise they're forced to trade Bouwmeester for an underachieving defenseman capable of playing a lot of minutes, a lateral move at best.

A lot people have that blind hate for Bouwmeester, but moving him wont help the Flames if the team is left with only 2 bonafide top 4 defenseman in Giordano and Wideman.

Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:15 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper View Post
Even then that's iffy. The Flames biggest problem last year was having a top 4 that included Butler in it. If Butler doesn't drastically improve and Brodie doesn't develop heavily the Flames would still need to overpay for a UFA defenseman capable of carrying a lot of minutes before trading Bouwmeester. Otherwise they're forced to trade Bouwmeester for an underachieving defenseman capable of playing a lot of minutes, a lateral move at best.

A lot people have that blind hate for Bouwmeester, but moving him wont help the Flames if the team is left with only 2 bonafide top 4 defenseman in Giordano and Wideman.
Butler wouldn't have been a problem if he wasn't playing almost 19 minutes a night of 5v5 with Wideman now we can spread out the 5v5 minutes much better.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:18 PM
Paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Butler wouldn't have been a problem if he wasn't playing almost 19 minutes a night of 5v5 with Wideman now we can spread out the 5v5 minutes much better.
Not if you move Bouwmeester though.

Again, moving Bouwmeester leaves really only 2 bonafide top 4 players. Brodie can definitely develop into one and Butler isn't the absolute worst case scenario to have in your top 4 but that still likely doesn't get the job done.

Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:38 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

The Flames don't have a surplus of defensemen. It's really not a strength of the organization at the moment.

They do however, have a couple of extra top-9 forwards and plethora or fringe NHL forwards. Of course, I'm sure teams will rushing to get their hands on one of those guys.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:52 PM
aqsw
HFBoards Sponsor

Don't move JB. I want to see an NHL player that plays for 20 years with no playoff games!!

Just Kidding!!!

aqsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:38 PM
Remember2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqsw View Post
Don't move JB. I want to see an NHL player that plays for 20 years with no playoff games!!

Just Kidding!!!
Haha thats not funny the Flames are going to become the new laughing stock next to the Leafs if were not that already by not rebuilding. I'm not sure if it was because of Brent Sutter coming or Bouwmeester but since their arrivals to Calgary we haven't made the playoffs... If Bouwmeester can return to Florida form I think his stock will sky rocket but then the Flames would probably want to keep him.

Remember2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:01 PM
Abbotsford Heat

Babchuk was injured in the KHL and is out 3-4 weeks so no trades are needed. Even if he wasn't injured Smith could be waived with little to no risk of losing him and then demoted which woud give the FLames even more depth.

Abbotsford Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:11 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
Babchuk was injured in the KHL and is out 3-4 weeks so no trades are needed. Even if he wasn't injured Smith could be waived with little to no risk of losing him and then demoted which woud give the FLames even more depth.
I strongly disagree with that. He played very well last season and would definitely find a job elsewhere if he were to be placed on waivers.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:40 PM
Abbotsford Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
I strongly disagree with that. He played very well last season and would definitely find a job elsewhere if he were to be placed on waivers.
Look at the waiver wire, defensemen of Smith's ability are available all over the place. Very few teams would be willing to commit an NHL roster spot to him for the season and even of those teams who might be willing he may not even be their top choice since so many comparable players have been and still are available. Smith had a decent run last year, but he played mostly sheltered minutes and is still a borderline NHL defenseman, him being on a one way deal with another full year left makes it even less likely he will be picked up on waivers right now.

Now in a month or three I would agree with you, but this is the part of the year where you can sneak guys through waivers fairly easily.

Old
01-17-2013, 07:50 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
Look at the waiver wire, defensemen of Smith's ability are available all over the place. Very few teams would be willing to commit an NHL roster spot to him for the season and even of those teams who might be willing he may not even be their top choice since so many comparable players have been and still are available. Smith had a decent run last year, but he played mostly sheltered minutes and is still a borderline NHL defenseman, him being on a one way deal with another full year left makes it even less likely he will be picked up on waivers right now.

Now in a month or three I would agree with you, but this is the part of the year where you can sneak guys through waivers fairly easily.
I don't think we have seen a single player of his caliber hit the waiver wire to this date. Both Joe Finley and Thomas Hickey had no problems finding a roster spot.

In a shortened season depth on defense is extremely important. Derek Smith is an NHL caliber defender, and I just can't see him making it through. And so what if he played sheltered minutes? that is what bottom pairing defenders do at the highest level.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:57 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
I've honestly never even heard of this player. I had to look him up.

01-17-2013, 08:02 PM
Ashasx

Smith was great value for the Flames last year and did an admiral job filling in the top 4 when Giordano got hurt.

He struggled himself after returning from injury, but I'd take him on the Flames roster over players like Sarich and Butler, for example.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:04 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Smith was great value for the Flames last year and did an admiral job filling in the top 4 when Giordano got hurt.

He struggled himself after returning from injury, but I'd take him on the Flames roster over players like Sarich and Butler, for example.
Couldn't disagree more Smith was great as a #5/6 guy was eaten alive in the top 4 and really showed how valuable Butler was. Not ragging on Smith as he was a very useful player but only in sheltered minutes.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:08 PM
zeus3007*

It makes no sense to trade any of them. None of the Abbotsford d-men can fill in properly if your NHL d-men go down, so just keep them all.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:38 PM
Gary83*

The only reason to trade them is to create a spot for Brodie. Right now there's just too many guys on one way contracts. I would personally prefer Brodie in the top six over Butler and Smith, but smith has looked pretty good in camp so far.

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:43 PM
Abbotsford Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post
The only reason to trade them is to create a spot for Brodie. Right now there's just too many guys on one way contracts. I would personally prefer Brodie in the top six over Butler and Smith, but smith has looked pretty good in camp so far.
Brodie has a spot already.

There were 11 defensemen in training camp

- Carson has been waived with the intention of sending him to Abbotsford.
- Breen has been re-assigned to Abbotsford.
- McCarthy is on a pro tryout
- Babchuk hasn't stepped onto the ice

That leaves 7, including Brodie.

Old
01-17-2013, 10:48 PM
Fan Of Every Anton
Volchenking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Loktionov + for Sarich +?
I like this! Love the way Sarich plays.

Calgary is weak down the middle too.

Fan Of Every Anton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:49 PM
LickTheEnvelope
Decertified Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Top 4 defensemen
Gio
Jbo
Wideman
Butler(argueable)

5/6
Sarich
Smith
Brodie
Babchuck(argueable)
I actually like Smith and Brodie a lot more than Butler.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:50 PM
LickTheEnvelope
Decertified Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post

Ya I watched a lot of Flames games in the middle to late part of the year and Smith looked great, while Butler... did not...

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:53 PM
Lord Flacko*
Down to let it go

vCash: 907
Schroeder, Kassian, Gaunce, Tanev, and 2 firsts for the Anton???????????????

Lord Flacko* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:55 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JATT187 View Post
Schroeder, Kassian, Gaunce, Tanev, and 2 firsts for the Anton???????????????
Those aren't the kinds of contracts Calgary likes. You'd need add Ballard to make them feel more comfortable.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote