HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Scott Gomez a San Jose Shark - 1 year $700k

View Poll Results: Gomez. Yea or nay?
No... not a chance. You go to hell and you die... 86 38.57%
Yes. On the cheap only... < 1M 85 38.12%
Yes. Willing to bid with other clubs... < 1.5M 43 19.28%
Yes. Call me crazy... 1.5M+ 9 4.04%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-17-2013, 05:06 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Unless teams seriously outbid us if the Devils call Gomer would be here IMO.

Who knows if we'll actually call though.

Scottyk9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:09 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post

McKenzie said Anaheim, and Carolina were interested in Gomez, but didn't say any other teams.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:30 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
Now confirmed that ESPN really, really does love ****ing with Devils fans.
I bet Burnside photoshopped the logo in there himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by britdevil View Post
Probably a combination of Gomez dogging it and the once storied franchise of the Canadiens now turning to ****. Utter lunacy up there.
This is what happens when a franchise used to winning doesn't win in a generation. I hope Devils fans never get quite that entitled... and never need to because we're still winning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post

I don't think any of us can speak for Gomez.

The former Whalers can have him, then I won't even have to acknowledge he exists.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:44 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Wow!

A Dead Heat in the polls between those wanting him on the cheap and those that want the OP to "go to hell and die".

glenwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:55 PM
GameSeven
ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
Wow!

A Dead Heat in the polls between those wanting him on the cheap and those that want the OP to "go to hell and die".
Well, I hadn't intended it to be worded for *me* to GTHAD

But I can see your point.

GameSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:24 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod

''Hearing around 11 teams are interested in Gomez, including NAS, ANA, CBJ, CAR and yes NJ''

This pagnotta is hot, and cold sometimes. Not sure if he's a great source, or just like the mighty EK! McKenzie said just said ANA, and CAR about 3 minutes before Pagnotta posted that. McKenzie said they were among the teams interested though, and not the only teams. This was from 4 hours ago by the way.

https://twitter.com/TheFourthPeriod/...44735294619649

Old
01-17-2013, 09:33 PM
kiwidevil

If he has NJ down he is guessing. From recent comments from Gomez re: the Devils. If Lou has talked to him, you know he would have told him to keep quiet about it.

kiwidevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:55 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
If he has NJ down he is guessing. From recent comments from Gomez re: the Devils. If Lou has talked to him, you know he would have told him to keep quiet about it.
Personally, I don't care to have Gomer back.

But if Lou thinks he can be of use for at least this year, I'll.......tolerate it.....barely.

glenwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:56 PM
Henrique Iglesias
Let's go Albany

Gomez watch 2013 lol

Henrique Iglesias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:58 PM
apice3*

I don't see where Gomez fits on this team.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:02 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Me neither. With Matteau looking like he'll play a few games and Darch hanging around... . there's nowhere to slot him. Lou seems to want to give Tedenby his chance.

Unless he fails and unless the team needs a small something extra before Henrique comes back, Gomez is going to have to wait around for a while if he wants a call from the Devils.

And if during a slow summer, with people focused on the Parise departure, nobody picked up an inkling of talks between Lou & Zajac.... I don't trust anyone to know if he's sniffing around Gomez or not.

manilaNJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:13 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

This could be someone in the Gomez camp leaking it. Not necessarily anybody close to the Devils. It was also said Gomez was expecting a buyout from Montreal last Summer, and hoped to return to the Devils. Somebody leaked that on his side. He later shot that down, but not particularly the Devils part. The part about being told he was gonna be bought out.

Old
01-17-2013, 10:15 PM
manilaNJ

If he has any intentions of coming back here, he'll know not to blab about it

Old
01-17-2013, 10:19 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
If he has any intentions of coming back here, he'll know not to blab about it
Perhaps he told his agent or somebody that he was interested in the Devils. Just expressed some interest, and even if Lou doesn't make that call, he can ask his agent to make that call. Either Lou says ''No we have no need for him right now, but we appreciate the interest'' or he says ''Alright let's talk''. I'm sure these agents are these ''Sources'' who drop much of this information when something is leaked.

Old
01-17-2013, 10:40 PM
Mr.Krinkle
Pod 6 is Jerks

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
I hear Aramark is hiring.

Mr.Krinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:45 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Not telling people to like Gomez cause I get it. This poll proves he's really not hated. There still are some people who vehemently hate him, and I get it. Though I have to say when Holik came back in 2008 which was six years removed from his Rangers departure, no one cared. Six years after Gomez's departure some people still don't like the idea, and I get that. Just felt the need to point that out.

The situations were identical only Holik was more up front about leaving. Both had arbitration cases the year before. Gomez won his, Holik lost his and that's what it seems led to his departure. Both went to the Rangers, neither finished their contracts with the Rangers, and both were bought out.

Old
01-17-2013, 10:46 PM
Sir Fenwick Corsi
N U M B E R S

I really didn't follow Gomez after he left in 07. I mean we got to see him a fair amount when he was with the Rangers, but I honestly can't judge the guy from the 8 games I watched him play these last two seasons. Yes, his states are brutal lately, but how far off the cliff has he really fallen? I'd imagine that Montreal is probably not the best place for your game to go off the rails. How much of this is a resut of a mentally broken player?

I don't appreciate the way he left here and I really don't see where he slots in exactly, however, if he still has something left, new jersey is the place that will get the best out of him. Sure it was a long time ago, but Gomez played some solid hockey for the Devils. He was a good player at one time.

We'll see I guess. Goal scoring is a pretty big concern for this team as it stands now. You wouldn't bring Gomez in to score goals, but if he still has some ability to create the opportunities to score, he may have a place here.

Sir Fenwick Corsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:51 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nona weisbaum View Post
I really didn't follow Gomez after he left in 07. I mean we got to see him a fair amount when he was with the Rangers, but I honestly can't judge the guy from the 8 games I watched him play these last two seasons. Yes, his states are brutal lately, but how far off the cliff has he really fallen? I'd imagine that Montreal is probably not the best place for your game to go off the rails. How much of this is a resut of a mentally broken player?

I don't appreciate the way he left here and I really don't see where he slots in exactly, however, if he still has something left, new jersey is the place that will get the best out of him. Sure it was a long time ago, but Gomez played some solid hockey for the Devils. He was a good player at one time.

We'll see I guess. Goal scoring is a pretty big concern for this team as it stands now. You wouldn't bring Gomez in to score goals, but if he still has some ability to create the opportunities to score, he may have a place here.
Good post as always!

I'm not bitter, and I didn't even care when he left. He's definitely not the best option, but we know Lou has a tendency to bring back these old players that are former Devils. Like I said he tried to bring Holik back in 05, he brought him back in 08, he brought back Rolston, and Shanahan that year too. He brought back some players you can't even understand like Janssen, and Tommy Albelin in 01 who sat out half the games that year. Jim Dowd in 2006 was brought back.

Lou even tried to bring back Scott Niedermayer in 2009, but he told him he had already had a verbal agreement with the Ducks. This is something Scott let out.

Old
01-17-2013, 10:52 PM
manilaNJ

I have no lingering hate for Gomez. None whatsoever.

But wingers are the real need here.
The center depth on this team is very healthy... the wingers, not so much. Little to no depth on either side. Shuffling the deck chairs to accommodate Gomez doesn't help the matter at all.

If Lou goes after him, he goes after him. I won't begrudge it.
But there's time and resources better spent elsewhere for sure.

Old
01-17-2013, 10:52 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Not telling people to like Gomez cause I get it. This poll proves he's really not hated. There still are some people who vehemently hate him, and I get it. Though I have to say when Holik came back in 2008 which was six years removed from his Rangers departure, no one cared. Six years after Gomez's departure some people still don't like the idea, and I get that. Just felt the need to point that out.

The situations were identical only Holik was more up front about leaving. Both had arbitration cases the year before. Gomez won his, Holik lost his and that's what it seems led to his departure. Both went to the Rangers, neither finished their contracts with the Rangers, and both were bought out.
I hated Gomez when he left but he got his 'punishment' for leaving already by having to play on a ****** Rangers team followed by a ****** Canadiens team.

I'll take him back but don't think we have a use for him either. Would rather give a rook a shot.

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:21 PM
OOOOIIIO
Binary

I dont see how a 1 year deal when we are no where near cap hurts us to be honest. Center depth allows us to move around our players more, and our offense needs an upgrade of some sort. If we can get a trade for a better player, sure go for it, but if this is our roster I have no issues adding Gomez for a year.

OOOOIIIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:24 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

The more I think about it, the more I think maybe we probably won't be signing him. I think if we do then Darche definitely doesn't get a contract unless it's a two way.

Old
01-18-2013, 12:04 AM
apice3*

I hate Gomez, I think he sucks, and I don't think he has a place on this team. He's best suited in a top 6 role which he's not good enough for.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:06 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

How about Santorelli? We made a lot of treasures out of other teams junk last season.

Would definitely like Gomez if he came for around the same as what Darche would have signed for. Either way Darche was on Montreal's PK last year, and they finished 2nd in the league in PK last year behind us.

Old
01-18-2013, 12:20 AM
Devil X
Next man up!

Send a message via AIM to Devil X
I believe both Santorelli and Gomez can help this team.

Yes we need wingers but Gomez helps by allowing us to take someone like Henrique and make him a winger(which i am not a fan up but lots of people around here like it) Same with Josefson. Plus Josefson is already banged up 1 puck off the skate and he might be out for a month. I believe Elias does not like center and Zubrus is a much better winger then center. We help the winger part of the line up because we can put 1 of the centers, hell maybe even Gomez on the wing.

Santorelli plays all forward positions and can fill in as a second line or lower player.

I say provided you can bring in Gomez cheap, bring them both. I also think a key to this would be moving a Dman for picks or a close to the NHL OK prospect.

Devil X is offline   Reply With Quote